TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Questions from a non-comic book reader

I don't read comic books that much, but I was curious about some things.

1. What the hell was the clone saga? I'm not sure about the details, but I know that Peter Parker was a clone of the real Spiderman, but that's all I know. Did they think people would like this bullshit?

2. What was the deal with Superman changing his costume? Does he still have the new costume? Did people like it when he changed? It didn't seem like such a great idea, but I'm curious as to how it went over.

3. How did Wolverine losing his adamantium go over with fans?

Guest Flyboy

"3. How did Wolverine losing his adamantium go over with fans?"

Since I'm probably the biggest Wolvie mark of the board, I can try to answer this one...

I think many were pissed... and outraged. I mean, they (including me) thought that Wolverine was finished because we thought that his claws WERE adamantium. It sort of died down when Wolverine finds out that his claws are bone (during a Danger Room session). Plus, Apocylapse gave Wolvie his Adamie back when Wolvie was Pocky's new Horseman Death for awhile (not anymore though), so it's all good

I think it was sort of like Chewbecca dying in the Star Wars, but not AS big.

Guest KingOfOldSchool
I don't read comic books that much, but I was curious about some things.

1. What the hell was the clone saga? I'm not sure about the details, but I know that Peter Parker was a clone of the real Spiderman, but that's all I know. Did they think people would like this bullshit?

1) Because I don't feel like typing all the Clone Saga related shit myself, here's a FAQ of sorts, which recounts the tale.

This storyline originally happened in the 1970s, and was thought to be a dead story arc, until the idiots at Marvel decided to use all previous elements in the 1990s.

But basically, it's the story of how Peter's long lost clone, created by The Jackal, surfaces after 5-6 years of being gone. And questions of whether Peter is the clone or the real deal begin coming forth. At one point, Peter was revealed to the the clone, but fans were so outraged that eventually Ben was killed and Peter was returned to his previous role.

I have no idea WHY Marvel and the Spider-Man editors thought anyone would like the storyline. It was a convoluted, confusing disaster from the start, as the news of Peter being a clone was basically throwing away years and years of comic continuity.

Guest crandamaniac
2. What was the deal with Superman changing his costume? Does he still have the new costume? Did people like it when he changed? It didn't seem like such a great idea, but I'm curious as to how it went over.

Supposedly Superman (as a result of the Final Night crossover where somebody ate the sun, resulting in the loss of his powers) got new powers that were electrical in nature. He gained a new costume to harness those powers (which was the blue and white bolt thing). They kept this for awhile, then split him into Superman Blue/Superman Red, and then somehow he got his original powers and costume back (tho if i remember, the explanation was pretty bad)

As to how it went over. In my opinion, it was a failure. It was another in a long line of gimmicks to generate interest in Superman, but ultimately hurt him in the long run. Tho fortunately Superman has a new creative team that has gone back 2 more personal stories that has rejuvenated Superman recently

Guest starvenger

>I have no idea WHY Marvel and the Spider-Man editors thought anyone would like the storyline. It was a convoluted, confusing disaster from the start, as the news of Peter being a clone was basically throwing away years and years of comic continuity.

Actually, I believe that people were into it at the beginning, as it increased readership in the title. However, the suits saw this, and decided (as was standard for Marvel at the time) to run it into the ground by keeping the clone around. THAT is what killed the concept.

Guest jtronx

Yeah, Superman has been a pretty strong group of titles since the new creative teams took over. I'm curious how the new new creative teams will do, though.

He's changed his costume again, if anyone's curious. The yellow in the big 'S' on his chest is now black. I actually think it looks kinda cool.

Guest areacode212

I really didn't mind the "electro Superman" at all. After a while, I stopped noticing it, since he was still Mr. Truth, Justice, and the American Way, which I guess was the whole idea (you can change the outfit, but not the man, or whatever).

I think Superman's costume was iconic, and taking away his powers makes him a different hero. He might have the same ideals, but don't most heros? Is the new costume that you are referring to the one from Kingdom Come?

Guest Vyce
I have no idea WHY Marvel and the Spider-Man editors thought anyone would like the storyline. It was a convoluted, confusing disaster from the start, as the news of Peter being a clone was basically throwing away years and years of comic continuity.

I'll give them credit - they were trying for something new and different.

The Spidey books had gotten kind of stale and monotonous, so they came up with a big storyling to shake things up.....unfortunately, it was so poorly done that it backfired and ultimately hurt them in the end.

The thing that confuses the hell out of me is why they would ever think that people would want a NEW Spider-Man. I mean, I'm sure the Ben Reilly character had his own fans, but getting rid of Peter Parker was taking 30 years of great storytelling and hard work and flushing it down the toilet. It would NEVER work. I have no clue what possessed them to think otherwise.

Guest pochorenella
I think Superman's costume was iconic, and taking away his powers makes him a different hero. He might have the same ideals, but don't most heros? Is the new costume that you are referring to the one from Kingdom Come?

It's basically the same costume. ALthough our Supes added the black as a tribute because of all the dead heroes in the "Worlds at War" storyline. The Kingdom Come Supes was basically a changed man, with sort of different ideals. Hence, the changed symbol.

Guest areacode212

Our Worlds at War was a DC crossover last summer. I don't fully remember who Earth was at war with. I think Brainiac and the Apokolips crew were involved. A bunch of characters died, including Maxima (a part-time hero, part-time villain) and Hippolyta (Wonder Woman's mom), in what was probably the best issue of Phil Jimenez's Wonder Woman run.

Guest Mattdotcom

Norm McDonald summed up Superman's new costume best on Weekend Update by saying, "That's not Superman."