TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

Daytona 500 2002:What the hell happened?

Guest Choken One

Another great Daytona 500 has come gone and there was a huge media viewing of this event thanks to the large exposure that Nascar gained from last year's tragedy.

Before the race began the three odds on faves were Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

It did not take long for the first shocker of the day when Tony Stewart dropped out and was eliminated from the race in the second lap.  Just a scant few minutes later, Dale Earnhardt thanks to Debris from his team mate's car cut his tire and that was just the start of a LONG day for Earnhardt.

The race was dominated by Sterling Marlin and it seemed like a blowout win for him up until Jeff Gordon and Kevin Harvick had a little rubbing and Gordon sent Harvick crashing into the wall triggering a 18 car pile up including the yellow #1 car of Kenny Wallace bursting into flames. Dale Earnhardt Jr, just a few moments before the crash pulled off one of the most dramatic moves of the day, looking to pit but after learning he had no brakes to slow his car and avoid the speedin penalty, he swerved onto the grass and  recieved a huge roar.

The field was shorted after alot of contending cars ended their day on that wreck. The race resumed with about 10 laps to go but yet another wreck occured (That included more Contenders like Waltrip,Wallace and Leader Jeff Gordon) and that forced Sterling Marlin and Ward Burton to fight to the yellow flag expecting for the yellow flag to stay for the remainder of the race. It didn't as the Officals decided to red flag the race and then came what will define this year's Daytona 500 in History.

Sterling Marlin, in front of all other stopped cars in the midde of the back strech, got out of the car and preceeded to fix his car and that brought the biggest shock of the day as Nascar officals approched Marlin and interogated him as he quickly ran to the car shrugging to car.

The funny thing about this? It's not like it was a Young rookie who did this bone headed move but a Vetern driver in his 44th race at Daytona. That caused him to be violated with a stop and pass, meaning he was forced to fall to the end of the line. That brought a surprising roar from the crowd.

The green flag dropped again wih Three Laps to go and one of the most shocking and bizzare front five leaders in Nascar history, Ward Burton (Quiet yet Popular Driver in the Garage), Elliot Sadler (Young underachiever driver), Geoff Bodine (Washed up great in a one race ride), Kurt Busch (A young unknown driver) and Mikey Waltrip (Popular defending Daytona Champion) followed by a respectable pack of drivers that included Dale Jarrett, Jeff Gordon, Johnny Bensonand Mark Martin. It was a shootout but the young Sadler, was unable to pass the Vetern driver and Ward Burton won in the biggest surprises in history of the Great American Race.

This  was easily the bumpiest Daytona 500 ever with so many little stories going on at once, the amazing day of Dale Earnhardt involved in THREE different incidents (Cut Tire, Missed Pit and the Pile up), Tony Stewart shocking early departure, Marlin's dominance. The BIG one. The wreck of Waltrip and Wallace at the Start/Finish line and Waltrip nearly crashing into Jay Leno in the Pace Car. Burton/Marlin race to the yellow flag, Marlin's foolish move, Ward's upset special.

I certaintly enjoyed today's race and really shook things up at least for the start of the season as two Champion faves are back in the end (Stewart in 43rd and Junior in 30th) and unexpected drivers like Bodine and Busch up in the front. A very dramatic day and nile biter for me as I drew Jarrett, Ward Burton and Casey Atwood in the sweeptakes. Any one else have any thoughts they like to share.

This is the Unoffical results for those wanting to know full results.

1. #22 Ward Burton  

2  #21  Elliott Sadler  

3 #09  Geoffrey Bodine  

4  #97  Kurt Busch  

5  #15  Michael Waltrip  

6  #6  Mark Martin  

7  #12  Ryan Newman

8  #40  Sterling Marlin  

9 #24  Jeff Gordon  

10  #10  Johnny Benson  

11 #9  Bill Elliott  

12 #99  Jeff Burton  

13  #31  Robby Gordon  

14 #88  Dale Jarrett  

15 #48  Jimmie Johnson

16  #11  Brett Bodine  

17 #32  Ricky Craven  

18 #2  Rusty Wallace  

19  #30  Jeff Green  

20 #5  Terry Labonte  

21 #33  Mike Wallace  

22 #92  Robert Pressley  

23 #4  Mike Skinner  

24  #49  Shawna Robinson  

25 #77  Dave Blaney  

26 #36  Ken Schrader  

27 #14  Stacy Compton  

28 #25  Jerry Nadeau  

29 #8  Dale Earnhardt Jr.  

30 #1  Kenny Wallace  

31 #66  Todd Bodine  

32 #55  Bobby Hamilton  

33 #17  Matt Kenseth  

34 #18  Bobby Labonte

35 #7  Casey Atwood

36 #29  Kevin Harvick  

37 #43  John Andretti  

38 #28  Ricky Rudd  

39 #19  Jeremy Mayfield  

40 #26  Joe Nemechek  

41  #45  Kyle Petty  

42 #71  Dave Marcis  

43 #20  Tony Stewart

Guest jonstreich

Two word can explain all of the wrecks: Restrictor Plates.  I'm really not a big fan of them, and if NASCAR could pull it's head out of it's arse, they'd get rid of them.

Guest Vern Gagne

For some reason NASCAR wants to even the playing field. Give me talented drivers like Gordon, Jarrett, Stewart, Harvick.

Tell me that Ward Burton does not sound like a guy who would be in a movie about the civil war.

Guest Choken One

I don't think they planed on the 18 car pile up so that a unknown (Nation wise) driver with no charisma to win the race.

It's great that Ward Burton won the race, I've heard nothing but good things for this guy and he is one of the nicest and humble drivers around the circuit, unlike Jeff Burton.

Guest Army Eye

I found it interesting that although Marlin basically came out of this looking like a fool by yanking on his fender, it may very well have been his best move.  If he left it alone, tried to stay out there in the lead, the fender probably could've shredded his tire and caused Marlin to either wreck or at least have to limp back to the pits.  As it went, he was able to get fresh tires when the race went back to yellow, since it didn't hurt his (penalized) position, and he ended up finishing 8th.  It all depends on how bad that fender was rubbing the tire of course.  We'll never know for sure.

Guest angrytom

NASCAR should get rid of the restrictor plates and find another way to limit the speed of these cars.  The drivers are NOT going to give up ground under these condintions and your going to have these huge wrecks.  How is it even when half the field is in the garage?

Guest Choken One

As a former Driver, I often ask that question, Do we need them? Half the time It's a simple no! but then I remember how much more dangerous it would be at 225.