TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

New Lance Storm Q & A

Q & A

May 31, 2004

Q: Would you have stuck with wrestling full time if you were getting more of a main event push?

A: I might have been more apt to try and stick it out, but I think a main event program would have been even more pressure on my back.

Q: If the office came to you with a 100% guaranteed angle would you come back?

A: If they come to me with it in 6 months to a year, I would consider it. I don't want to come back short term and right now rest is best for me back.

Q: Who was your favourite gimmick wrestler?

A: On the whole I don't like gimmick wrestlers, but The Undertaker has to be the best gimmick ever done.

Q: What did Elix say to you in WCW to make you smile in the ring?

A: I think I'll hold this one off for the book. SORRY.

Q: When you win a belt do you carry it with you or leave it on the production truck?

A: We have to carry them around. We often have appearances to make with the belt, and the same trucks don't make all the shows, so we have to keep it with us.

Q: What do you miss the most and the least with your new position in OVW?

A: What I miss the most is really the only thing I miss, and that's the boys. I miss joking with Hurricane and Christian every week, and I miss talking wrestling and working out with Fit. There are about a dozen people I genuinely miss seeing now. The travel schedule is what I miss the least. Sleeping regularly at night and not spending endless hours in airports and in the air is TREMENDOUS!

Q: What are you thoughts on people who get your autograph to resell?

A: I can't help thinking that there has to be an other venture that might yield a higher return. I usually limit autographs to 1 or 2 because I hate when people show up with 10 copies of the same photo to be signed. Go get a job and quit trying to make money off of me.

Q: Why did you make it big when so many others don't?

A: I guess I'm just that much better than everyone else! Seriously there are so many factors that go into making it that I don't think there can be an answer to this question. I think my biggest assets were that I have always been in shape, easy to deal with and above all else people liked working me. I am extremely easy to work with and almost never (in my opinion anyway) have a bad match. When the rest of the locker room wants to work with you job security is very good.

Q: What is your take on fans calling wrestlers by their real names? (This refers to Raven saying he hates it)

A: I think it is disrespectful. If I'm walking through an airport or mall and hear someone yell out Lance Evers, I assume they know me, If I here Lance Storm I assume they are a fan. You know me as Lance Storm so please call me that. So many fans use it for the sole purpose of showing off how smart they are and it is annoying. I know the Undertaker and have worked with him for a few years now and I don't call the man Mark, why should you. I got to know Raven real well and became friends, and at that point I started calling him be his first name. Most of the boys even good friends I call by their wrestling names so I think you should as well, it's a small courtesy to extend to someone you are a fan of.

Q: Would you attend a Stampede show to scout talent?

A: I certainly would if the office asked me to. So far that is not part of my job, but I certainly would not object to it.

Q: How hard is it to maintain a marriage in Wrestling?

A: Judging by the divorce rate in the business, pretty damn hard. Being away from your spouse more than you are home together puts one hell of a strain on a relationship, especially when you figure in the fame and fortune end of the business. Opportunity for infidelity is incredibly high so if there are any trust issues in you relationship or any lack of commitment you are domed. I am one of the very few lucky ones. I've been married 10 years and have been with my wife over 12, so my marriage has survived the majority of my career. Trust and honesty by both parties is the key. I know a lot of guys are amazed at how open and honest I am with my wife.

Q: Are there any moves you are credited with inventing?

A: A lot of people think I started the rolling 1/2 Boston Crab, but I didn't. Well maybe I did the 1/2 part. I stole it from Terry Taylor who did it to a full Boston Crab. I don't think letting go of the one leg earns me a patent. Even things you think you invent have been done before somewhere. I firmly believe every new move you see has already been done by some guy down in Mexico. I may have been the first person to do the Triple Power Bomb, where you keep picking the guy up and doing the move over. To my knowledge Ultimo Dragon invented it in late 95, but he was too small to ever use it. I wrestled him in Tokyo Japan (Jan. 96) and he suggested I use the move on him. He basically gave the move to me. I used it in Japan for several years but was limited by size to who I could use it on. I used it a few times (with Spike Dudley) in ECW. I know Jericho and Brock have used it since.

Q: Do you prefer the Wrestling Climate today or that of the 80's?

A: This isn't really a fair question. They are two different times, which are hard to compare. There are things that are great about the 80's but we couldn't go back to them even if we wanted to. You can't de-evolve the industry. Revenue and TV has changed it and we have to deal with what we have.

Q: What do wrestlers call each other by, their real or their stage names?

A: I guess I sort of answered this one already. There is no rule of thumb it is different for everybody. On the whole I would say our wrestling names get used more than our real names.

Q: What do you think of WWE bringing back an ECW PPV like Hardcore Heaven?

A: I assume this question stems from the return of The Great American Bash. ECW fans are so desperate to keep it alive I would imagine the idea is appealing but lets be honest it's just a name. It wouldn't be an ECW PPV so what would be the point. ECW's PPV were never big enough to have the name value on a large scale to make it worth while like reusing The Great American Bach, or Starcade. I think ECW is Dead, and we should let it rest in peace. Don't get me wrong we should remember it and love it for what it was but I don't think it can ever come back to life. We should accept that.

Q: Would you like to see the Hardcore Title back?

A: Absolutely not. I think the concept of a hardcore division was about the dumbest thing ever in wrestling. From a logic stand point it was stupid and made no sense. Matches like that were designed for a purpose; they were a place for a feud to go when it couldn't go any farther. Being able to take a heated feud to a Street Fight, I Quit Match ,No Holds Barred Match, or a No-DQ match made them special. Having guys for no reason just hitting themselves with objects just for a match made it meaningless elsewhere. If there was a hardcore match on the last SD PPV why would we care about JBL hitting Eddie with a chair in the Main Event? We wouldn't.

There you have it. Some good questions this week and some lengthy answers. Keep those questions coming and please keep them short or point form.

Thanks

Lance

Credit:Stormwrestling.com

Q: What is your take on fans calling wrestlers by their real names? (This refers to Raven saying he hates it)

A: I think it is disrespectful. If I'm walking through an airport or mall and hear someone yell out Lance Evers, I assume they know me, If I here Lance Storm I assume they are a fan. You know me as Lance Storm so please call me that. So many fans use it for the sole purpose of showing off how smart they are and it is annoying. I know the Undertaker and have worked with him for a few years now and I don't call the man Mark, why should you. I got to know Raven real well and became friends, and at that point I started calling him be his first name. Most of the boys even good friends I call by their wrestling names so I think you should as well, it's a small courtesy to extend to someone you are a fan of.

Oh, cry me a fucking river. Are they still whining about this?

Guest clown

He's not whining, he's answering the question

Or aren't wrestlers allowed to have opinions on things anymore?

Guest BillyTheStud

It's obnoxious to call them by the name you've only seen on the internet.

He's not whining, he's answering the question

Or aren't wrestlers allowed to have opinions on things anymore?

*prepares to be bludgeoned*

I agree with him completely. If the wrestlers don't even call each other by their real names, how dumb does it look when fans do it?