TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

80% Of Home PC's have

80 per cent of home PCs are infected with either viruses or spyware according to a survey. Whilst most users had anti virus software installed two thirds hadnt botherd to update it for over a week. One dumb user had managed to get 92 viruses on their PC, and another managed 1,059 spyware programes! Two thirds of users had no firewall or packet filter, and 14 per cent of those who had them had misconfigured them.

There is nothing really surprising about this survey sadly

Just about everybody gets spyware or a virus at some time or another.

The problem is the people who either don't know about it, or do know about it and simply don't care. There's free solutions to both problems, so saying you're unwilling to pay simply isn't an excuse anymore.

Anti-Spyware programs are the today what Anti-Virus programs once were. Anti-Virus software is a must, however, it is crazy to go online without using an Anti-Spyware program on a regular basis. I worked as a Computer Technician and it amazed me how many people brought their brand new computers in for us to repair. We had no problem taking their money, but they are not really educated on the matter. The first thing they think of is "I must have a virus". Spyware and viruses are two different things, but most people don't know that and thus they think that their pre-loaded Anti-Virus software will cure everything. What makes everything really funny is that casual computer users always need a scapegoat, it's never their fault.