TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

'What the hell are vendorprefs'?!

I had most of this message written, then I accessed the Add/Remove list, and the message just...dissappeared. So, now I'll type it up again.

Yesterday, mom tried to get on the computer around ten am, but she wasn't able to get on till about 11. She kept getting a message saying 'SYSTEM DISC BOOT ERROR. PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER'. We never got said system disc, so we'd have to restart, get the message again, restart, etc etc.

After she got on, naturally she contacted HP. By this time I was over and trying to help. HP told us to do the 'non-destructive system restore', which we did...like three times. The first time it froze, the second time was fine, except our computer is completely messed up, and the third time is no different than the second.

The problems? Hmm..where to begin. Our desktop will not load. It says our access to our 'documents' is denied. Thus, on our desktop, we only have my computer, internet explorer, recycle bin, my network places and my documents, which we can't open. All our faveorites are gone as well.

Any time I try to go to the HP support thing to ask HP what the problem is, I get a message saying 'failed to load vendorprefs'. I have no clue what the hell those are, but I do know that I can't send a message at all.

Thankfully, our folders weren't deleted, but now we're all worried about the computer. If anyone could tell me what the hell is going on, and more specifically how to fix it, I'd be more than grateful.

EDIT: I just checked the 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\desktop' and found that our desktop is there, the way we had it, but it's not showing up on the screen. Same goes for our Faveorites; everything is there but we can't access it.

Edited by Yuna_Firerose

You desktop is probably corrupted. If the non destructive didn't do anything than you probably have two options:

1. Go to the Control Panel and click Users and create a new profile

-or-

2. Destructive recovery.

You desktop is probably corrupted. If the non destructive didn't do anything than you probably have two options:

1. Go to the Control Panel and click Users and create a new profile

-or-

2. Destructive recovery.

We did the second option after everyone saved their stuff to CDs/floppies/sites. To save all my stuff took less than an hour, but the one friend living with us had like 2GBs worth of junk in her folder, so she took about four hours.