TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Firefly on DVD

Canada's Space is having a "Joss-A-Thon" for their Labour Day (September 5th) marathon this year. Included is the entire Firefly series, starting at 9AM.

Here's the full schedule:

http://community.spacecast.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic;f=1;t=011106

Canadians are cool, exhibit 34087C.

Guest Brian

Marathon's today on Sci-Fi, I'm not sure who else is watching. The first episode is awesome so far.

"Is there a reward?"

Just wrapped up the DVD set last night.

I'm hooked. Can't wait for this friday. I'm actually circulating the DVD set to some of my friends to try to convert them and eventually get their asses into the theatres.

Here's a question for Firefly fans (besides myself, seeing as how I'm asking the question). How much do you think would make for a "successful" opening weekend? They seem to be pushing the movie well in commercials so execs will probably be expecting quite a bit. So, would $20 million be considered acceptable? $30 million?

And, as a bonus question, how much do you think it would take before the studio decided "Hey, we should make more of these!"?

I've read on several Whedonesque threads that $80 million is Universal's designated figure for optioning a second film.

The buzz is there in sci-fi circles (and even a lot of entertainment magazines), but it still lacks any starpower whatsoever, which means that not a lot of people unfamiliar with the material will go. $20 million would be a fantastic opening weekend, I think.

Ouch. $80 million is quite a lot for it's end of summer placement and it's lack of recognizeable star power. We may all realize Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk, and Nathan Fillion > 90% of Hollywood, but most of America doesn't. Eighty million's an awfully tall order.

$80 Million in the US alone is going to be really tough since this is the dead season for the big screen. If it finds an audience overseas and the DVD's do well, I'd like to hope for sequels.

$20-$30 million opening would be great for an opening, but the key is to look for weeks 2 and 3 for the drop off. Those will be the true indicators as to whether or not the movie has box office legs or is just a one shot opening weekend of fanboys and curious moviegoers.

So I go years waiting for this movie, avoiding most plot-related previews, trailers, spoilers and TV ads. Then I'm dumb enough to read a review calling the movie "Horrible" (also calling Joss "Wheldon"), and catch this dandy at the end:

What I liked about SERENITY? Crew members die and the hip dialogue.

It ain't a major spoiler, and it was one I'd guessed from some reactions earlier in the thread. Still. GAH. aimpiss.gif

Anyhoo. Anyone else read the comic books? I finally got at them today, and it's a nifty little story.

Sci-fi just did an insider piece on the movie- man, I can't wait.

And even though I wanted to be spoiler free, I already read the book, and am now reading the shooting script. Still want to see it.

This was too good not to post:

from Buffy.nu

From Slashdot.org - By CowboyNeal - 2006-10-28

Firefly Fans Fight Back Against Universal

Firefly

Gossi writes :

"What happens when a film studio and a fanbase get into bed? Fans of Joss Whedon’s Firefly, and the movie by Universal Studios - Serenity - are not amused. After being encouraged to viral market Serenity, the studio has started legal action against fans (demanding $9000 in retroactive licensing fees in one case and demanding fan promotion stop), and going after Cafepress. The fans response? Retroactively invoice Universal for their services."