TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fire and Knives

SWF From The Vault - Edwin/Silent

Guest Fire and Knives

[So we were discussing the Raynor/Edwin backstory in chat and I thought, hey, I should post Edwin/Silent again and fix the tags so people can actually read the goddamned thing. So, for the four of you that weren't around and have been fortunate enough to avoid me plugging myself...here it is.]

====================================================

The sounds of “Rule Britannia” softly begin to play over the speakers as the camera switches to a shot of the cage that now surrounds the ring. Ring technicians scurry away, having completed their task, leaving the cage empty and more than a little ominous.

“And now, ladies and gentlemen, we come to what may be the most anticipated match in the history of the SWF.” Cyclone Comet looks uncommonly serious – there’s not even a conveniently-placed can of Pepsi MAX© nearby. “Edwin MacPhisto and Nathaniel Kibagami. Two men we never expected to see again after Genesis III, and certainly not facing each other. But fate has thrown these two together once again, and the results are going to be nothing short of cataclysmic.”

“Truer words were never spoken, Comet. Edwin MacPhisto is one of the greatest competitors to ever set foot inside a wrestling ring – nobody in their right mind would deny that. But he’s been out of action for almost a year, and Nathaniel Kibagami…well, he’s been making some changes in recent weeks. I don’t think agreeing to this match was a sound idea on MacPhisto’s part, but the Mac Daddy has never been one to deny the fans a show.”

The sound of a record scratching interrupts “Rule Britannia”, and the crowd is suddenly plunged into darkness. For a moment, nothing happens…but the fans know what’s coming.

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO! MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

They know who’s coming.

And they know what he’s here to do.

A familiar drumbeat stutters out of the speakers, and two bright blue (one might say bluer than blue) spotlights swirl out across the crowd, and they can suddenly hear his voice, like the voice of an old friend.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages…the Carnival’s in town and it’s winding down, but this loooooooooove rollercoaster has a couple more twists and turns left in it! Some people don’t like it, some people can’t stand it, and one man in particular wants to shut the whole thing down, tonight. But does your Mac Daddy want to see that happen? Oh no, he doesn’t, not quite yet. I am the conductor, and I decide when this train stops…and we haven’t reached the end of the line, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.”

A familiar silhouette appears behind the curtains, flanked by two others – one smaller, one larger.

“My name is James Canterbury, and it always has been, but you know me as the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache…the Mac Daddy Supreme…the one and only…”

“What you see tonight is what you should remember! What you feel tonight is what you should believe! And if that’s not enough for some of you, then to the rest, step right up, and I humbly say…”

I SAID HALLELUJAH!

The pyrotechnics are fantastic – every color, every direction; everything is lit up for the briefest of moments….

TO THE SIXTEEN LOYAL FANS-AH!

The smoke begins to clear…

NOW GET DOWN ON YO’ MOTHAFUCKIN’ KNEES!

And through it all…

’CAUSE IT’S TIME FOR YOUR SICKNESS AGAIN, YEAH

On his left is Dace Night. On his right is Aecas -- the display of solidarity is admirable. And in between the two…his hair is fiery red, and the vinyl trenchcoat matches it beautifully. The shirt advertises nothing tonight – plain white; the man has dressed with the match in mind. The same acid-washed jeans, the same ladder-laced Docs; the same cocky smile we’ve come to expect from the man who is always on display.

“Ladies and gentlemen, introducing first…” Funyon can’t keep the note of pride out of his voice as Edwin steps into the ring after a handshake from both Dace and Aecas. “He hails from Leeds, England, and weighs in at two hundred and thirty-nine pounds. He is the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache…”

RAAAAAAAAH!

“…the Mac Daddy Supreme…”

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

“…and the reigning IGNML Dance-Off Champion…..of the WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!”

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

”LADIES AND GENTLEMEN……EDWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN MACPHISTOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

MacPhisto stands in the center of the ring, both arms raised, simply BASKING in the spotlight for the first time in twelve months.

“They love him, Bobby. They love him like they’ve never loved anyone else. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Riley raises an eyebrow. “Even you, Spandex Boy?”

“Even me, Bobby. Even me.”

The crowd buzzes with anticipation…and as they begin to settle back down, a video of Nathaniel Kibagami, his back to the crowd, begins to play on the SmarksTron. A haunting guitar echoes out over the crowd – the calm before the storm, in so many ways…

BAM!

The distortion begins, and the lights flare up, nearly blinding the audience and the cameramen as it glints and shines off the marble-white columns around the entrance. The footage on the SmarksTron is replaced by an ankh – symbol of life and eternal salvation – engulfed in flames; engulfed by rage, by hate, and seven years of single-minded purpose….

Today, the warning came in the floooood…

Through the smoke, through the pyrotechnics, through the amazing amount of white light, Nathaniel Kibagami comes striding out of the curtains. His hair is bleached blond, nearly white, and it trails behind him in an almost ethereal fashion. His trenchcoat is white as well – an eerie variation on a theme best forgotten. There is nothing to see in his eyes except Edwin MacPhisto. The smile on his face betrays no joy, no elation. Simply satisfaction.

“Weighing in at two hundred and sixty-eight pounds, and hailing from Phoenix, Arizona…NATHANIEL “SILENT” KIBAGAAAAAAAAAAAMMIIIIIIII!”

(The three will…) Save…us…from…the bloooooooood…

We…will…droooooown…(…three will fall)

Kibagami wastes no time climbing into the ring – he doesn’t want to waste a moment of this valuable time he and Edwin are about to have. Sexton Hardcastle is outside the ring, in case somebody ends up being thrown from the cage and needs to be helped back in…but a look at the two man standing in the ring paints a very clear picture. This time, neither of them intends to run.

“Here we go, ladies and gentlemen. These two men have waited seven years for a shot at each other. As soon as Ced Ordonez locks that door…”

“Bobby, I’d like to be totally serious for a moment.” Cyclone Comet’s eyes hold no hint of sarcasm or mockery. “I’ve been part of some fantastic matches in my time, and I’ve watched a great deal more. I like to consider myself something of a veteran in this business. But that being said…I’ve never once seen a match with more animosity behind it than this match. What we see tonight is going to be…it’s going to be unique, Bobby.” Comet takes a deep breath. “And I hope I don’t see anything like it ever again.”

Ced Ordonez locks the door without so much as a word to either man – there’s no real need to explain the rules in this match. The only way there can be a disqualification is if one man leaves the cage voluntarily. The rule was made with James Canterbury in mind, but James Canterbury is not the man who stands across the ring from the Slaughterer.

A simple shot of Edwin MacPhisto’s face says everything the Crown Prince himself will not. He will not leave this ring tonight until the score is settled. He will not give in while the specter of Arizona is still present in this arena. He knows the odds are stacked against him, but he knows that the fans expect this performance from the man they have come to love, the man who was introduced to them as Edwin MacPhisto. For him, this is not about the match, nor is it about Nathan. MacPhisto has come here tonight to prove to the world – and to himself – that he is everything he claims and more. He has come here to prove that he has changed.

The camera switches briefly to Kibagami – to Silent. He is focused, he is prepared. His tattoos glisten underneath the spotlights; his bleached-blond hair is more than suggestive of the blood that will be spilled this evening. He knows the man standing across from him will fight until the bitter end. He knows there is a chance that this will be the second time in seven years he will be stretchered out of the ring. Despite this, there is still the slightest suggestion of a smile on his face. Seven years of his life have come down to this match, this opponent.

He still has the option to turn back, to find Angel, to find Yuuichiro, to go back to Aechiba and repair all the damage that has been done. But the last thing left to this man was hope, and when Edwin MacPhisto returned to a standing ovation, the last of that hope was dashed. He is what he is, and he does what he does. There are no longer any other options.

Ordonez signals for the bell.

For James Canterbury and Nathaniel Kibagami, this signals the beginning of the end.

DING DING DING!!

SIIIIIIIIIII-LENT…SIIIIIIIIIILENT…

In the midst of the cheers of the crowd (and the cheers are trulydeafening tonight), Edwin and Silent stand in the center of the ring, simply staring at one another.

“It seems like neither man wants to make the first move, Bobby.”

”Or maybe neither man knows what move to make. This match is unique in SWF history, Comet. How do you approach a match this brutal without any sort of plan, any history to fall back on?”

”Don’t stay down, Bobby.” Comet grimaces. “You don’t stay down.”

The two men approach each other…and pause, neither one wanting to offer a lockup. Each man is unsure what the other can do after seven years apart.

Each man has no idea what the other’s limits are.

Each man can only rely on himself.

But how far is either man willing to go?

Kibagami feints to the left, then throws a high roundhouse with his right foot, and the crowd absolutely explodes in a frenzy of cheers as Edwin throws his forearms up to block it! The Crown Prince dances backwards, barely dodging a hard snap kick aimed at his ribs, before springing forward with a sidekick that misses by the smallest of margins! Kibagami retaliates with a swift kick to his opponent’s right thigh, and Edwin’s right hand shoots down to his leg instinctively. Silent aims a kick at MacPhisto’s head, but the Mac Daddy realizes his error and brings his right hand up to deflect the blow! Edwin tries to catch the Silent One in an unwary moment with a left-footed snap kick, but Silent smoothly catches MacPhisto’s leg! A pair of hard chops to the neck stagger the Mac Daddy, and –

CRACK!

A surprise enziguri knocks Silent flat on his back, and the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache lands on his feet!

“I’ve never seen anybody best the Crown Prince in a striking contest, and it looks like Kibagami won’t be the first!”

No sooner do the words leave Comet’s mouth, however, than the Slaughterer is back on his feet, surging up from the canvas and nearly cracking Edwin’s jaw with a hard elbow shot! Kibagami viciously grabs a handful of Edwin’s fiery red hair and pulls him into a hard knee strike! A flurry of knee strikes to the chest and ribs knocks the wind from the legendary MacPhisto and drives him towards the far wall of the cage…

CAAAA-RACK

“What a gamengiri from the Silent One!” Riley’s exclamation can barely be heard over the roar of the fans as Edwin MacPhisto – their hero – collapses to the mat!

“I stand corrected, Bobby. It would seem that Edwin’s time out of the ring has left him somewhat outclassed in the striking department! He’ll have to avoid a direct confrontation with those brain-scrambling kicks as much as he can.”

ONE!

TWOOO!

MacPhisto moves his hands from his face…

THREEEE!

…and props them behind his head, a smirk on his face as Kibagami turns to survey his handiwork.

FOURRRR!

FIIIIIIIVE!

“GET UP!” screams the Silent One, but Edwin seems not to hear him, instead turning his head to Ced Ordonez, who can’t help but smile as he continues his count.

SIIIIIX!

SEVVVVEN!

”What the hell is Edwin doing?”

EIIIIIGHT!

”The smartest thing he can, Bobby.”

NIIIIIIIINE!

”He’s taking whatever breaks he’s offered!”

TEEEEEE –

MacPhisto abruptly kips up to his feet, and he spreads his arms as if to say, “Ah, I had it under control all along!” Comet chuckles to himself, and even Bobby Riley has to smile a little as MacPhisto makes a show of brushing off his shirt and adjusting his hair.

“He’s still got it, Bobby. A year out of the spotlight and he’s still got it.”

Riley sighs. “I’ll give him that much, Comet. If he never wrestles another match, he’ll still know how to work a crowd.”

The crowd ERUPTS at the gesture, very nearly drawing the Crown Prince’s attention away from the oncoming Kibagami! The Silent One lunges forward with arms extended, looking to overpower the lanky MacPhisto in a lockup, but the originator of Logical Impact© will have none of it – Edwin meets Silent with a shotei to the solar plexus! Momentarily stunned, Kibagami staggers back, and MacPhisto tries to capitalize with an Irish whip, but the former Clansman instinctively reverses it and whips the Mac Daddy over his shoulder with an ippon seionage!

“Citizen Nathaniel’s ring instincts will serve him well in a match of this nature. He’s not as fast as MacPhisto, but he’s stronger and he’s tougher. If Edwin gets careless, Silent will – Kibagami will make him pay for it.”

Maintaining his grip on Edwin’s arm, Silent tries to cinch in a triangle choke and force Edwin into unconsciousness, but MacPhisto’s too quick – he slips deftly out of the Silent One’s grasp and catches hold of his right leg as he does so! Edwin pulls Kibagami’s leg up and back, cinching in a half-crab –

CRACK!

A nasty kick from the Slaughterer’s free leg catches the Crown Prince flush in the mouth, and he releases the half-crab as he staggers back!

“Kibagami’s flexibility is nothing short of remarkable, especially given the injuries he’s accumulated over the years.”

”He’s often been underestimated for just that reason, Bobby, but it doesn’t look like those injuries are going to slow him down tonight.”

Silent rises to his feet, shaking his right leg slightly to ensure it doesn’t cramp up on him later, as Edwin approaches the center of the ring, no worse for wear but decidedly more wary of his opponent. As soon as MacPhisto comes within arm’s reach, Kibagami lunges forward looking for a collar-and-elbow tie-up again, and this time the Mac Daddy obliges – and promptly finds himself shoved back into the ropes! Kibagami releases the hold and rears back –

SLAP! (WHOOOOOO!)

A hard knife-edged chop draws a grunt from MacPhisto, who returns fire with a chop of his own!

SLAP! (WHOOOOOO!)

Kibagami barely reacts, except to return the favor!

SLAP! (WHOOOOOO!)

SLAP!(WHOOOOOO!)

Edwin responds with another chop,

SLAP! (WHOOOOOO!)

But again it has no effect! Thinking quickly as Silent brings his hand back for another knife-edged chop, Edwin blasts the larger man in the chest with a stiff shotei, sending Kibagami back a step! Silent is just as quick to compensate, however, as he steps back into another shotei and jars MacPhisto with an elbow strike! The Silent One grabs hold of Edwin’s hair and tries to fling him face-first into the steel cage, but the Mac Daddy grabs hold of cage with both hands and braces himself, keeping himself from becoming overly acquainted with the steel mesh that surrounds the ring! A sharp shin scrape forces Silent to release his grip on MacPhisto’s head, and the Crown Prince turns, grabs Silent’s head with both hands, and SLAMS his face into the cage to a roar of approval from the fans!

Edwin’s moment in the spotlight is short-lived, however – the Slaughterer whips back around to face his opponent and dives forward with a lariat, but MacPhisto sees it coming and ducks it! He pops up behind Silent before he can turn around, grabs a hasty facelock, and brings Kibagami crashing to the mat with a beautiful inverted DDT!

“I really think Edwin’s taking a big risk, showboating like that,” mutters Riley.

“They don’t call him the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache for no reason, Bobby! That DDT was perfectly placed and beautifully executed. Can the man help it if he makes it look good?”

Kibagami is only groggy for a brief moment, but a brief moment is all Edwin MacPhisto ever needs – the Mac Daddy goes right back to the half-crab, trying to prevent the Silent One from gaining his feet!

”The Crown Prince wisely attacking the legs of citizen Nathaniel – perhaps the wisest course of action one can undertake in a match being contested under Last Man Standing rules.”

Riley scoffs derisively as Edwin desperately tries to avoid Kibagami’s free leg. “You would think so, Comet, but look how far that strategy got Chris Raynor.” Comet pales slightly and opens his mouth to rebut, then closes it again – the comparison is too accurate for comfort.

Frustrated by Silent’s resolve, MacPhisto simply dodges another wild kick and grabs hold of his opponent’s left leg with his free arm, transitioning to a Boston crab – which Kibagami promptly powers out of, sending MacPhisto to his hands and knees as the Slaughterer pulls his powerful legs out of the Mac Daddy’s grasp.

“THAT’S the problem with trying to take out Kibagami’s legs, Comet. He’s too quick with his feet, and he hits you too hard. Edwin’s got to find a better way to go about this.”

Silent turns to see MacPhisto rising to his feet – he catapults himself into a shoulder tackle from a kneeling position, catching Edwin in the stomach and driving him back into the turnbuckles! MacPhisto doubles over, the wind knocked out of him, as Silent stands up…

CRACK!

CRACK!

CRACK!

CRACK!

…and kicks the taste out of the former champion’s mouth! Ordonez tries to force his way in between the two to check on MacPhisto’s condition. The camera switches to a frontal shot of Edwin’s face…

CAAAAAAA-FUCKING-RRRRRRRRACK!

…just as Kibagami unloads with a vicious snap kick to the Mac Daddy’s jaw! The crowd winces sympathetically as MacPhisto collapses on the bottom rope, his eyes slightly glazed from the sheer impact of the kick.

ONE!

TWOOOO!

Edwin shakes his head quickly and rises to his knees, trying to focus himself on the match instead of the stinging pain in his jaw.

THREEEE!

MacPhisto rises to his feet – no kip-up, no acknowledgement of the crowd that is so wildly chanting his name. That kick hurt his pride, but not as much as it hurt his jaw.

“Edwin looks a little shaken in there, Comet – it is possible he’s actually underestimated Silent?”

”I doubt he’s underestimated him at all, Bobby, but the man’s been out of active competition for almost a year. It takes some time to get used to things again. It takes time to come to expect the sort of ferocity citizen Nathaniel routinely displays in the ring, and time is not a luxury the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache has at the moment…”

MacPhisto steels himself as the Silent One approaches, intent on capitalizing on the Mac Daddy’s ringing ears and clouded head. That kick hurt his pride, and it hurt his head, but it seems to have woken him up. This is no time for showboating; he needs a plan if he’s going to have a shot at winning.

Time to step it up a notch.

SLAP!

“MAC!”

SLAP!

“PHIST!”

And the Crown Prince sets up for the final swing, shadowboxing and bouncing like Ali on PCP…

“OHHHHH…”

But the chant ends on a touch of disappointment as Silent stumbles under a thick right hook! “Cocktail for Kibagami, but Edwin can’t quite deliver the Shame!” calls Riley, and as Edwin swings back to recover, the Silent One counters with an uppercut of his own…only to have the Mac Daddy snare the arm in his own.

“Another counter! Justice is served!” The crowd whoops along with Comet as Edwin plants his feet and re-directs his weight, pulling Kibagami around with a standing arm drag, and dodging a hasty back elbow to secure a tight rear headlock. The Silent One doesn’t even have time to thrash as Edwin points to the mat, nods to an exuberant crowd, takes two running steps forward…

…WHAM!

…and cracks his own knees into Silent’s jaw with a voracious swinging bulldog! “Midnight Special!” cries Comet. “It’s been too long!” The crowd starts up another riotous chant as Edwin rolls to his feet and leisurely brushes himself off in Kibagami’s direction. Imaginary dust flutters down as Edwin raises his arms to an ovation…that suddenly turns sour!

“I can’t believe it! The ref didn’t even get down to count!” calls Comet, while Riley gives a derisive snicker. Nathaniel Kibagami rolls to his side and then up to his feet, rushing towards Edwin, who regards him, turns back to the fans, does a bug-eyed double-take, and then breaks for the ropes! “MacPhisto’s not going to take Kibagami’s sudden resurgence lying down!” The Silent One braces himself with a low growl and rushes towards the now-oncoming Edwin, who extends his arm to the right.

“Lariat coming up!” shouts Riley, but as Silent starts to move into a dodge, Edwin pulls the arm back in and leaps! The crowd roars as he extends his leg and broadsides the unprepared Silent with a heavy springing sidekick!

“Look at that, Bobby! Edwin, the innovator supreme, fakes out Kibagami and the Silent One pays. Silent just can’t catch a break here tonight, and I’m beginning to think he’s regretting handing out such a heavy challenge to his Hall of Famer adversary!”

“Just wait, just wait. I’m sure he’s going to sit up again and annihilate Edwin in about 3 seconds.”

THUNK!

And Edwin drops a stiff knee across Kibagami’s right calf!

“…Or not.”

The referee calls “ONE!”, but Edwin waves him off and goes back in with another knee drop, and then another fast one on its heel. The Mac Daddy pulls the right leg up and starts to twist it into the rushed figure of a four, but a frustrated Silent raises a boot towards Edwin’s posterior and simply shoves him away mid-lock. MacPhisto staggers a step away, then turns back and drills a diving elbow right into Silent’s chest. “You don’t kick a man in the bottom,” nods Comet, “unless you’re in the mood for some payback!” A bit miffed, Edwin yanks the stunned Kibagami up off the mat, whipping him towards the ropes. Kibagami hits hard and the cage shakes, giving the fans something to cheer about, and Edwin gives them something else with a dash forward and a basement dropkick right into Kibagami’s knee! It buckles, and Edwin quickly dives in for another. “Edwin slicing and dicing Silent’s leg, a pretty potent distraction in a match like this. Any significant damage has to be thought about long-term; if your options are limited in a last man standing match, you can basically throw in the towel in the late game!”

“Late game?” mutters Riley, as Edwin pulls Kibagami up and pops a swift shotei into his chest. “There won’t be any late game if Kibagami can hit the Demonstar Driver.”

“And if you think Edwin MacPhisto of all people, the first man to use the move in this fed, doesn’t know how to counter that…well, Bobby, you’re nuttier than I thought!” Edwin gives his palm a little kiss and his hips a little swing as he pops another shotei into Silent’s ribs, but this time Silent comes back with a sharp forearm across the jaw! Edwin reels and the crowd groans, but the Crown Prince comes back with a rising shotei…that barely budges Kibagami, who forces forward with a cracking elbow across the jaw. The fans give a bit of a roar as the strikes heat up, and Edwin staggers back, clutching his jaw and looking for one crucial palm strike…only to find himself nearly beheaded in the windup as Silent rushes forward with a tremendous lariat! “WHOA!” hollers Comet, and viewers cringe as Edwin briefly folds up and meets the mat!

“There’s the turnaround!” hollers Riley, and Edwin crumples up on the mat as Silent walks off the shoteis, coming back around to his prey a few seconds later. The referee starts the count…

ONE!

“He certainly won’t stay down for long…”

TWO!

“It’s all about setup, Comet!”

THREE—and Edwin pushes up to his knees! The crowd cheers, but Edwin rises right into Kibagami’s grasp, and the former Clansman pauses for a moment, glaring into Edwin’s eyes, down at the relatively unblemished white shirt.

That could use a change.

With utmost force, Silent HURLS Edwin into the cage, and the wiring bends outward as the Mac Daddy collides face first with the mesh! Silent drags Edwin’s jaw across the cage once, and then pounds his elbow into the base of Edwin’s skull, driving his face up against the wire and leaving a patchwork grid of scrapes on those impeccable British cheeks. “This cage has the potential to be a real game breaker tonight,” says Comet…

“…or a facebreaker, in Edwin’s case!” Riley finishes the thought in his own special way, and, tiring a bit of elbow points to the head, Kibagami pulls Edwin off the cage, smoothly, fluently, into a facelock…and down into a picture-perfect DDT! The ring rocks with the impact, and Edwin’s face leaves the faintest trail of crimson behind on the canvas. He pushes himself up to an elbow, dizzily shaking off the impact, but Kibagami wastes no time and jerks Edwin up from the mat, locking on a ¾ facelock. “Something big coming up…” But as Kibagami takes a step forward, the groggy Edwin plants his feet and shoves the Silent One towards the cage. Caught off-guard, Silent tries to tighten his grip, but one hand slips off Edwin and the Mac Daddy plants him into the steel with another defiant shove! The Silent One has a close encounter with the residue of Edwin’s previous expedition to the steel, but he’s suddenly pulled back as the Mac Daddy wraps his arms around Kibagami’s waist!

“And Edwin’s got another counter lined up, and this time…”

CRUNCH!

“It’s big!” The crowd goes wild as Edwin peels Silent off the cage with a stiff German suplex, planting Kibagami on the back of his neck and stealing the momentum back to his side! Edwin takes a moment to collect himself, pulling up on the 2nd rope, and the ref starts to make the call!

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

Kibagami stirs…

FOUR!

And as he starts to get up, Edwin takes him right back down with a quick lunge and a rear choke. Edwin powers down with all his right, snaking his right arm around Kibagami’s throat, batting away the errant hand that flies up to keep him away…and yanks back to lock in the Dragon sleeper! Poised over Kibagami’s back, Edwin tries to shift his weight down and flatten his opponent out even further…

“Crown Prince Clutch from Edwin MacPhisto!” says Comet with glee. “That dragon sleeper is going to put a lot of wear on Kibagami if Edwin can keep it any for any length of time. Between this and those chip shots at the knees, it looks like Edwin’s going for a policy of total weardown – the same sort of varied attack that helped him beat the Hville Thugg in that landmark Last Man Standing for the world title!”

“Oh please, hyperbole much?” snips Riley, as Edwin keeps the pressure on. The crowd pounds and claps for him to crank it up, but Kibagami won’t give, not kicking his feet, not releasing his pain in any fashion beyond clenched jaw, gritted teeth, and a persistent attempt to shift his weight towards his knees. “Edwin won THAT match because of two big black guys beating each other up while he picked up the scraps…” Back in the ring, Kibagami gets his center of gravity in the right place, using his size advantage to rock backwards…and start to elevate himself, even with the 230-pound Brit clinging to his back like an orangutan on PCP! The crowd’s pounding changes direction as an impressed murmur shoots through the Garden, and with a snap back of his head, Kibagami cracks a headbutt into Edwin’s jaw and gets vertical, bucking the Crown Prince entirely! Edwin lands a bit discombobulated but not too out of sorts, and he clambers up to his feet to return the charge. Unfortunately for him, Silent is also up, working out the kinks in his thick neck, and ready to snap Edwin right back down with a hiptoss!

The Mac Daddy rolls through it and comes to his feet just in time to meet a charging Kibagami with a hard shotei right in the face! The Silent One staggers, but does not fall – which works to Edwin’s advantage, for once. He cinches Nathan up for a suplex and manages to lift him without too much trouble…then spins 180 degrees before PLANTING Kibagami’s unprotected skull on the canvas! A collective gasp goes up from the crowd, all of them too aware of the Silent One’s bad neck, as MacPhisto rolls to his feet and turns to survey the damage.

ONE!

”Edwin quick to capitalize, going right for the jugular, as it were! All it’s going to take is one false move on Kibagami’s part –”

TWO!

“– he could be out of this match like that!” Comet snaps his fingers underneath Riley’s nose for emphasis.

THREE!

Kibagami pushes himself up to his hands and knees. He grits his teeth, though whether he’s in pain or simply frustrated with himself is uncertain.

FOURRRR!

FIVE!

SIIIIII – the Silent One stands, wincing a little at the pain in his neck as he does so.

CRACK!

“And MacPhisto’s not giving him a moment’s respite!”

CRACK

CRACK!

A volley of snap kicks to the right knee stagger the former Clansman, sending him hobbling towards the ropes in an attempt at avoiding the Mac Daddy’s vicious strikes.

CRACK!

Another snap kick causes the knee to buckle ever so briefly, and Kibagami stumbles to one knee –

CRRRRRRRR-ACK!

– before flooring the Hall of Famer with a hard gamengiri! Edwin topples to the mat, holding his head in his hands, as Silent pulls himself back up using the ropes, trying to shake off the damage done to his leg. Seeing MacPhisto incapacitated, the Slaughterer quickly turns the Crown Prince over onto his stomach and applies a double underhook –

–and pulls MacPhisto to his feet –

“RAAAAARAAAGGGHHH!”

Only for the Mac Daddy to backdrop out of the Demonstar Driver!

”I think that’s the first real counter to the Demonstar we’ve seen, isn’t it?”

”It is, Bobby! Nobody knows that move better than MacPhisto – he’s going to avoid it in ways we’ve never thought of!”

”Like a backdrop?”

”I mean later, Bobby.”

Kibagami staggers to his feet – and Edwin MacPhisto is right behind him, trying to lift Nathan up for the Union Jack! The crowd begins to stir, anticipating the move that could potentially end Kibagami’s career, but the Silent One is fighting it, and the Crown Prince doesn’t seem to be making any progress! The two men struggle against one another for a long moment...

…then Edwin smoothly repositions his arms and pulls Nathaniel down…

BAM!

…right into the Encore Cross!

ONE!

TWOOOO!

”Encore Cross, and Silent has to beat the count!”

The Mac Daddy kips up to his feet and raises his arms in a gesture of victory – while on the canvas, Silent lies perfectly still.

THREEEE!

”Edwin’s been a step ahead all night, Bobby –“

FOURRRR!

“–and Kibagami’s going to have trouble catching up after this!”

FIIIIIIIIVE!

SIIIIIIIX!

SEVVVVEN!

Silent lies perfectly still.

EIIIIIIII –

Silent sits up.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Stunned by his opponent’s resiliency, Edwin charges in for a seated dropkick, but Kibagami rolls out of the way at the last possible instant, leaving MacPhisto open for a sharp boot to the head!

CRACK!

CRRRRR-ACK!

A hard shot to the ribs lifts MacPhisto a few inches off the canvas and into a standing position. He stumbles back, clutching his ribs, trying to collect himself,

CRACK!

But Kibagami just won’t give him that moment he needs! Edwin throws a high roundhouse of his own, trying to force his opponent back, but the Silent One just steps into the kick and catches the brunt of it on his shoulder! Before the Crown Prince can retract his leg, Kibagami spins him around and hooks his hands around MacPhisto’s body, pinning the Mac Daddy’s right leg against his chest, and SLAMS him shoulders and neck-first into the canvas with a cradle suplex!

ONE!

TWOOO!

Comet winces as Kibagami stands, leaving Edwin in a heap on the mat. “That’s GOT to hurt.”

THREEEEE!

“Edwin’s staying ahead, all right, but he’s got to hit harder to put down the Silent One!”

FOURRRR!

FIIII – MacPhisto rolls to his feet, but his expression betrays him – he’s not fully recovered; he’s still dazed and confused, as it were. He wipes the blood from his face and braces himself against the cage with one hand, trying to collect his thoughts.

BAM!

But whatever he’s thinking is driven forcefully out of his head as the Slaughterer sandwiches the Hall of Famer’s head between the steel cage and a size fourteen boot! Edwin crumples against the ropes, and Kibagami brings his foot back down, actually slipping a little thanks to the blood that now covers his boot. The Slaughterer tries to pull Edwin off the ropes, but the Mac Daddy is dead weight – between the Yakuza kick and the blood loss, he’s barely there. An idea forms in Silent’s mind.

This can end. Now.

Hooking his opponent’s arms, Kibagami heaves and lifts MacPhisto into position for the Demonstar, making the execution seem almost effortless, fluid, natural.

“Silent’s setting up for the Demonstar – it’s OVER if he hits this!”

”I hope not, Bobby.” Comet bites his lip as Kibagami hooks Edwin’s arms. “I hope it’s not the end.”

Silent hesitates, briefly – even he is affected by the palpable energy from the crowd. And in that moment of hesitation, Edwin MacPhisto springs to life.

The Crown Prince of Flash and Panache backflips out of the Demonstar Driver, landing in a three-point stance! Kibagami’s too stunned by MacPhisto’s second wind to dodge the basement dropkick that takes his knee out from under him, and he’s in no position to dodge the enziguri that sends him crashing to the mat! Ignoring the crowd for once, the Mac Daddy hurriedly pulls the groggy Silent One to his feet and whips him into the turnbuckle, following it up with a picture-perfect running dropkick!

“Edwin’s found his second wind, Bobby – and it looks like he’s setting up for something big!”

MacPhisto cinches Silent up and lifts him onto the top rope, but Nathaniel’s not out of it yet – he still has the common sense to shove Edwin off the top rope as he climbs and buy himself some time to clear his head. Not to be denied, MacPhisto springs back to his feet and up onto the second rope. Kibagami tries to knock him down again with an elbow, but the Mac Daddy dodges out of the way, springs onto the second rope…

CRACK!

…and scrambles Silent’s brains with another hard enziguri to the back of the head!

“Nathan’s out of it, Comet! This could be Edwin’s big chance!”

Edwin climbs from the second rope to the top, and the crowd is completely rabid as he does so –

As he cinches Kibagami up and turns to face the ring, everybody knows what’s coming. MacPhisto leaps, Silent in tow, and he pushes his opponent forward…

SLAM!

“AIR MACPHISTO!” screams Comet.

“That’s got to be all!” declares Riley.

Edwin MacPhisto – tired, bloodied, but ultimately pleased with himself – rolls to the ropes and starts to pull himself up.

Ced Ordonez begins to count.

ONE!

TWOOOO!

”What a match!”

MacPhisto makes it to his feet, elated to be alive as the crowd continues chanting his name!

THREEEEEEE!

FOURRRRR!

”What a culmination of this man’s career! What a stunning way to –“

”Um, Comet?”

FIIIIIIIVE!

”Check your monitor.”

The chants –

SIIIIIIX!

–begin to change.

MacPhisto turns back to the ring. Back to Ced Ordonez.

Back to a prone Nathaniel Kibagami….

No.

SEVVVVVEN!

Kibagami is on one knee.

EIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Two knees.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

In the center of the ring. No ropes to pull himself up. No cage to latch onto.

No title. No stable. No tag partner. No friends.

Just one overriding, all-consuming mission.

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE –

No matter what happens.

No matter the price.

He will break Edwin MacPhisto.

RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

“SILENT IS UP! SILENT BEAT THE COUNT!”

”How the hell did he do that??!? Comet, what the hell…?”

”I don’t know, Bobby! All I can think of is that maybe, just maybe, Kibagami has just as much heart as MacPhisto ever has! I don’t think Edwin expected this at all! We’re not done just yet, ladies and gentlemen…!” Comet pauses; something on the monitors catches his eye.

“I can’t believe he’s standing, Comet. I’ve never seen a man get up from the Air MacPhisto; I don’t think anyone’s EVER won a match after taking it, at least! Kibagami should be near-unconscious right now!”

Comet simply stares at the monitor, seemingly lost in thought. He looks at the eyes of Nathaniel Kibagami. Eyes that burn with hatred, not with heart.

“Bobby…it’s not often that I say this, but I think you were right.”

Silent drunkenly stumbles out of the way of a springing sidekick and turns around –

CRACK!

– into a VICIOUS gamengiri from MacPhisto! The SWF legend lands on his feet and gets a tremendous pop from the crowd as he does so, but the cheers don’t register with him immediately; he stands for a moment, staring down at a man who should not still be in this match.

Riley turns to his companion, and his eyes light up as he does so. “I’m sorry, Comet, I don’t think I heard you correctly. What did you just say?”

”I said, I think you were right.” Comet pauses.

“I think Edwin has underestimated Silent.”

The expression on MacPhisto’s face is that of a man hounded and dogged for years – a man that has finally come face to face with his pursuer because he has failed to outrun him. Edwin’s made a mistake by bringing the Air MacPhisto out too early, and he knows it. He can’t take Silent’s kicks away, and he can’t count on his fall-back move – a move that has never failed him before – so he takes the only option left to him as Ced begins to count – he climbs onto the wall of the cage to attempt a high-risk maneuver, and prays that Silent won’t get up.

ONEEE!

TWOOOOO!

THREEEEEE!

FOURRRR!

FIIII –

As soon as Ordonez stops counting, he knows what’s happened. A split-second later, the chants begin:

He tries to scramble back down the cage, tries to keep his feet beneath him, but a massive hand closes around his ankle, and he looks down into the abyss for the first time tonight.

Silent is up.

A harsh tug down pulls Edwin’s hands from the cage, and his legs slip out from under him, in between the ropes and the cage. He manages to catch himself before he lands face-first on the steel, but that instinctive motion leaves him unable to break the waistlock he suddenly finds himself caught in! MacPhisto makes one last lunge for the cage, trying to find purchase, leverage, something, anything, but Kibagami is simply too strong.

BAM!

Madison Square Garden EXPLODES in a frenzy of “HO-LY SHIT!” chants as the Silent One plants MacPhisto almost squarely on his skull with a slingshot German suplex! The Slaughterer leans against the ropes, still feeling the effects of the Air MacPhisto, as the Crown Prince comes to a stop face-down in the center of the ring!

“My God! That’s it! That’s the match, right there!” exclaims Bobby. “There’s no way Edwin gets up from that!” Comet stares dumbfounded at his monitor – the man who put Neilsen through a table from the wall of the Hell in a Cell is stunned by what he’s just seen.

------------------------------------------------------------------

SWF REPLAY

A harsh tug down pulls Edwin’s hands from the cage, and his legs slip out from under him, in between the ropes and the cage. He manages to catch himself before he lands face-first on the steel, but that instinctive motion leaves him unable to break the waistlock he suddenly finds himself caught in! MacPhisto makes one last lunge for the cage, trying to find purchase, leverage, something, anything, but Kibagami is simply too strong.

BAM!

Madison Square Garden EXPLODES in a frenzy of “HO-LY SHIT!” chants as the Silent One plants MacPhisto almost squarely on his skull with a slingshot German suplex! The Slaughterer leans against the ropes, still feeling the effects of the Air MacPhisto, as the Crown Prince comes to a stop face-down in the center of the ring!

SWF REPLAY

Guest Fire and Knives

ONE!

TWOOOOO!

THREEEEE!

MacPhisto is nearly unconscious on the canvas.

FOURRRRR!

If Silent leaves him to stand on his own, there’s a good chance he’ll win the match.

FIIIIIIVE!

But this is not the way he wants to win.

SIIII – Ordonez stops the count, a puzzled expression on his face as Silent steps over MacPhisto and sits in the middle of the Mac Daddy’s back, seemingly positioning himself for a camel clutch – the New York crowd expects it, and they begin to cheer for what they perceive as Kibagami going after Edwin’s neck…but the cheers die away as, on the SmarksTron, they see Nathan pull MacPhisto’s arms around his throat and pull them back, applying a thoroughly illegal choke hold with the Crown Prince’s own hands!

“…that’s the Grudge!” The realization dawns on Riley just after it becomes apparent to the fans. “Silent is using The Grudge – a hold that nearly cost Edwin his match at Genesis III!”

”Citizen N…Silent won’t be satisfied with a victory here, Bobby.” Comet’s use of the name seems to solidify the situation in the minds of the fans as they begin to show their support for the Crown Prince. “He’s only got one goal in mind, and I’m afraid we all know too well what it is.”

The Mac Daddy’s name rings out through the arena, but the man himself is simply too drained after taking the slingshot German to do anything about his current predicament. There’s no rope break, there’s no disqualification – Ordonez knows the hold is illegal, but there’s nothing he can do to stop it. All Edwin can do is ride it out and hope he doesn’t black out.

It seems like an eternity before Silent releases the hold, but eventually, he tires of it and releases MacPhisto’s arms – Edwin’s hands fly to his throat, trying futilely to somehow soothe the coughing jag that follows such abuse of his windpipe. Kibagami stands leisurely, without any appearance of urgency – he has the match in hand now, and he knows it. MacPhisto is at his mercy for the first time in the last seven years.

Payback, as always, is a bitch.

CRACK!

CRACK!

CRACK!

CRACK!

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

CRACK!

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

CRACK!

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

CRACK!

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

CRACK!

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

CRACK!

MAC-PHIST-OOOOO!

Having rained kicks down on Edwin’s head, shoulders, ribs, and back, the Slaughterer finally relents, slightly winded from the exertion.

ONEEEE!

TWOOOOOO!

Silent takes a step back, surveying his handiwork with a certain amount of cold satisfaction.

THREEEEEE!

MacPhisto plants his palms on the mat, trying to force himself to his feet – but his body doesn’t want to cooperate.

FOURRRRR!

He gets his knees underneath him, and pushes himself up to one knee.

FIIIIIIIVE!

SIIIIIIIIIX!

Tentatively, the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache rises to his feet.

“I don’t know how he’s doing it, Bobby! Edwin can’t be all there after that German. Has he suddenly become a glutton for punishment?”

“Comet, I don’t have an answer for you. The way this match is going, Edwin’s going to need a miracle to pull this one out of the fire – he’s totally at Silent’s mercy right now!”

Amidst the cheers, Silent is furious – how dare he have the audacity to stand?

CRACK!

A snap kick to the ribs doubles the Mac Daddy over, and Silent grabs a hasty headlock – he heaves up and back, the veins in his neck nearly popping out from the strain, as he lifts MacPhisto from the canvas by his neck and takes him over with the Downshifter Suplex! The side of Edwin’s head bounces off the canvas in sickening fashion, and Ordonez begins the count again!

ONE!

TWOOOO!

THREEEEE!

FOURRRR!

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Somehow, MacPhisto pushes himself up to his knees.

SIIIIIIX!

SEEEEEVEN!

Silent leans back against the ropes – he looks almost curious as he watches the Crown Prince struggle to stand.

EEEEEEEEEEEEIGHT!

With a hand on the ropes, MacPhisto pulls himself to his feet – unsteady, but standing…

With a small shake of his head, as if to say, “I didn’t want to do this, but I guess you’re going to force me too, aren’t you?”, Kibagami springs off the ropes and sprints towards the half-dazed MacPhisto, looking to put him down for the count with the Burning Lariat he’s used so many times before…

– but MacPhisto dodges another bullet by sidestepping the lariat!

”Edwin’s not out of it yet! He’s still got a shot –“

The Crown Prince of Flash and Panache stays true to his name, grabbing an inverted facelock before the Slaughterer can turn around! Silent can feel his opponent start to turn to the right, but he’s powerless to stop it –

BAM!

– AS MACPHISTO PLANTS KIBAGAMI, IN THE CENTER OF THE RING, WITH THE SOUND CHECK!

ONEEE!

“I don’t believe it! I honestly don’t believe it!”

TWOOOOO!

THREEEEE!

Silent shakes his head and rises to one knee – and so does Edwin MacPhisto.

FOURRRRR!

”Believe it, Bobby! Edwin MacPhisto is the best there’s ever been!”

FIIIIIIIVE!

”And Silent is going to have to bring the best he’s got –“

“–if he thinks for one minute—“

Silent rises to his feet –

SEVVVEN!”

–turns around –

“–he’s going to keep him this man down!”

CRACK!

– into a HARD snap kick from the Mac Daddy! The crowd cheers – no, roars – no, screams

as MacPhisto drives Silent back towards the ropes with shotei after snap kick after spinning back elbow! Two quick bitchslaps send the crowd into an absolute FRENZY as Silent actually reels backwards from the stinging blows!

”He’s feeling it, Bobby! COCKTAIL O’ SHAME, ON THE ROCKS!”

Edwin pauses slightly – perhaps a second of hesitation – to add the pelvic thrust that has always popped the crowd wherever he’s gone, and tonight is no exception; every man, woman, and child in Madison Square Garden is on their feet for this. Silent on the ropes, the Mac Daddy back in charge, putting on a show for the people before winning in style –

– Silent catches the shotei in one massive, outstretched hand, and the crowd catches its breath. Faster than anyone would think he could move, Nathaniel Kibagami spins Edwin around and grabs hold of his waist, lifts him up, and begins to turn…

“ROUGH REDEMPTION, VERSION TWO!”

SLAM!

The Silent One brings the Crown Prince down hard enough to shake the ring and the cage that surrounds it; the crowd simply deflates as MacPhisto lies prone, unable to defend himself…

ONE!

TWOOOO!

”Come on, Edwin!”

THREEEE!

“You can do this, damn it!”

“He’s done, Comet!”

FOURRRR!

“That move was absolutely…”

FIIIIIVE!

Riley’s breath catches in his throat.

SIIIIIIIIIX!

Edwin MacPhisto is getting up.

“LET’S GO ED-WIN!” *clap clap clapclapclap*

SEVVVVEN!

EIIIIIIIIGHT!

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

MacPhisto stands.

RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The crowd is electrified, the announcers are in shock, and Nathaniel Kibagami is absolutely BESIDE himself as the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache slowly, carefully makes his way towards him.

“How?” Bobby Riley is finally lost for words. “How is he doing this?” There is no smart remark, no offhanded criticism. “How is Edwin still standing?” For once, there is nothing to criticize.

Comet simply smiles. Perhaps he understands, perhaps he doesn’t. Perhaps there’s no other way for him to respond.

“He’s Edwin MacPhisto, Bobby. What else is he going to do? Lose?”

MacPhisto fires off a kick at Kibagami’s right knee, but it has no effect – the Slaughterer merely shrugs it of and replies with a hard chop to the neck.

SLAP!

The crowd doesn’t respond – how can they? – ; Edwin staggers, but does not fall.

CRACK!

Another snap kick finds its mark, but there’s not much behind it.

BAM!

Silent retalitates with an elbow to the jaw, and MacPhisto stumbles back. He regains his footing, but he looks shaky – it’s taken everything he has just to get up from the Rough Redemption. The Silent One senses weakness, and he moves in for what he perceives to be the kill.

BAM!

Another elbow sends Edwin to one knee, and the fans are growing concerned now. The Slaughterer measures his opponent for a roundhouse kick ...

…and doubles over in pain as Edwin uppercuts him squarely in the groin!

”GALATEA SPECIAL!” roars Cyclone Comet, and the fans are INSANE with joy as MacPhisto pushes himself back to his feet!

“Is that move legal?!?”

”Does it matter?”

The Mac Daddy pulls Silent to his feet and positions himself back-to-back with him, looking for the Union Jack, but the Slaughterer comes to life and tightens his own grip on Edwin’s arms, trying to lift him for his old crucifix powerbomb!

”Kibagami’s still fighting, and he’s looking to counter the Union Jack with the Fall From Grace! Does either man have enough left in the tank to hit a move like this so late in the match?”

Slowly, inexorably, despite Edwin’s kicking and straining, Silent manages to lift the Mac Daddy off his feet and into position. He seems poised to powerbomb MacPhisto directly into the cage…

...but Edwin slips out of his arms and turns around…

…hooking a full nelson on the way down…

…and sweeps a very surprised Silent’s legs out from under him!

BAM!

CAR-NI-VAL!

ONE!

“JOKER’S WILD!”

CAR-NI-VAL!

TWOOOO!

“EDWIN JUST HIT THE JOKER’S WILD!”

THREEEEEEE!

CAR-NI-VAL!

“Is he allowed to do that?”

FOURRRRRRRR!

CAR-NI-VAL!

Edwin MacPhisto pushes himself to his feet and wipes the blood from his forehead, a wry grin on his face as he hears the chants echoing across the arena for the first time in nearly eighteen months…

FIIIIIIIVE!

…and Silent is stirring on the canvas behind him.

SIIIIIIIIIX!

The Slaughterer rises to his hands and knees, and his blood-drenched hair hangs ominously over his face.

SEVVVVEN!

He’s very, very angry.

EIIIII –

Not wanting to give Silent any time to recover, Edwin quickly pulls the larger man to his feet and applies a double underhook! He raises his right arm briefly and waves it over his head – he knows Mark is watching the monitors backstage. No reason not to say hello –

“RAAAAAAAAH!”

With a tremendous yell, Silent backdrops out of the Walk-Off! MacPhisto is stunned, but he recovers quite well, managing to turn a somersault in midair and land on his feet, but the Silent One is a step ahead of him – grabbing hold of Edwin’s left arm and draping it over his shoulder and grabbing MacPhisto’s left leg with his free hand, he lifts the Crown Prince from his feet and spins back…

SLAM

“The Stigmata! That’s Spider Nekura’s old finishing move! Silent has stooped to truly criminal methods to win this match!”

“He’s doing what comes naturally, Comet! He’s just…” Riley trails off as he realizes exactly what he’s saying. “…doing what has to be done?”

Not waiting to see if The Stigmata will be enough, Silent stumbles to his feet and pulls a near-lifeless MacPhisto up with him. The Slaughterer picks him up for a scoop slam…and transitions into the setup for a cradle tombstone piledriver!

“Silent’s going for Riot of the Blood! He knows Thoth is watching from the skybox…”

”What if this ends the match…?”

The fans desperately chant MacPhisto’s name, trying in vain to awaken their hero…and something gets through to him – the Mac Daddy kicks his legs, shifts his weight, and puts two hundred and thirty-nine pounds of flash and panache squarely on Kibagami’s shoulders, forcing the ex-Clannite to topple backwards! MacPhisto manages to break the fall with his outstretched feet and, with the last of his strength, pulls Silent into position for a tombstone! Edwin locks his hands together –

CRUNCH!

–and sits out, compacting Kibagami’s neck in a VERY uncomfortable fashion!

THOTH! THOTH! THOTH! THOTH!

ONEEEE!

Edwin rolls away from a lifeless Silent One and wearily rises to one knee. The cuts on his forehead have finally stopped bleeding…

TWOOOO!

“This has got to be the end for Nathan! I don’t care what kind of surgery he had –“

THREEEE!

“– he CAN’T get back up from that one!”

FOURRR!

”I don’t think I’ve even SEEN somebody take a sit-out Riot of the Blood before, Bobby!”

FIIIIIIIVE!

SIIIIIIIIIX!

Silent pushes himself to his hands and knees.

SEVVVVVVVVVVEN!

One knee.

EIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Two.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

”There’s no way.”

TEEEEEEEE –

Despite everything they’ve seen tonight, Madison Square Garden can’t help but chant his name. Because despite his injuries, despite his opponent, despite the fact that he never should’ve stepped back into a wrestling ring after what happened in Phoenix seven years ago –

Nathaniel Kibagami stands.

CRACK!

A gamengiri from MacPhisto staggers the Silent One…but he does not fall. Undaunted, the Mac Daddy lands on his feet –

CAAAA-RACK!

– and connects with an enziguri, and THAT is enough to put the Slaughterer down again! Stumbling into the ropes, Edwin takes a breather, knowing that Silent has had enough.

ONE!

TWOOOO!

Praying that he cannot get back up.

THREEEE!

FOURRRRRR!

Hoping as hard as he can –

FIIIIIVE!

–that nothing else will be necessary –

SIIIIIIIIIIX –

Silent sits up.

“No.” Comet’s voice is barely a whisper as Silent slowly, painfully forces himself to stand. “There’s no way he’s doing this on his own. I’ve heard rumors backstage –“

”Comet?”

”– painkillers and anabolics and God knows what else—“

”Comet.”

”– damage he’s done to himself must be incredible—“

“COMET!” Bobby’s shouting snaps Comet out of his reverie. “Look at the monitor, Comet!”

Against all logic, MacPhisto is struggling to lift Kibagami for the Union Jack, but his body has nothing left to give him. Despite his best efforts, the Crown Prince of Flash and Panache finds himself lifted off the mat and into the crucifix position. He kicks his feet in vain as the Silent One starts his run towards the cage…

SLAM! CRASH!!

The back of MacPhisto’s head bounces sharply off the cage and slams into the mat, the rest of the Mac Daddy’s limp body trailing behind him! Kibagami collapses to a sitting position, exhausted by the effort.

Comet has nothing to say. Bobby has nothing to say. The only thing that needs to be heard…

ONE!

…is the count.

TWOOOOO!

THREEEEEE!

FOURRRRR!

MacPhisto stirs.

Impossibly, he moves.

FIIIIIIIIVE!

He’s close enough to the ropes that he can grab them. And he does.

SIIIIIIIIIIIX!

He pulls himself to one knee.

SEVVVVVEN!

He stops.

EIIIIIIIIGHT!

The look of concern on Ced’s face is heartbreaking – but he cannot bring himself to count faster.

Not when MacPhisto’s on two knees.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

Edwin grabs hold of the top rope. His hands are slick with his own blood – the Fall From Grace has reopened his wounds. His once-white t-shirt is drenched. Some of the blood is Silent’s. Most of it is his own.

TEEEEEEEEEEEEE –

It’s the price he has to pay.

And pay he will.

“EDWIN’S UP!”

”EDWIN’S UP!”

The chants are overwhelming. The announcers are nearly drowned out. Edwin MacPhisto has cemented his legacy tonight in the most astonishing way possible. The cheers are there because he is standing. The chants continue because he has bled for them. He has nothing left to prove. He just has to finish this match, and all of it will be over at least.

But for his opponent, that’s not enough.

Silent steps into an elbow strike with all the force he can muster, and MacPhisto stumbles back into the turnbuckle – exactly where Kibagami wants him. Brusquely shoving Edwin out of the way, the Silent One climbs onto the top turnbuckle to set himself up for Flesh Into Gear, yanking the Crown Prince back into position –

CRACK!

A surprise shotei from the Mac Daddy nearly knocks the taste out of the Slaughterer’s mouth! The cage keeps him from falling out of the ring altogether, but he’s clearly dazed…

“Now’s your chance, Edwin! TAKE HIM OUT!”

Cyclone Comet looks curiously at Bobby Riley, who is no longer in his seat. “My friend, justice may have a place for you yet.”

Edwin sees Kibagami reeling. He hears the fans ringing in his ears. He knows what he has to do. He climbs onto the second rope, cinches Silent up…but he can’t lift him! Nathan has a death grip on the ropes, preventing MacPhisto from making any progress. Undeterred, the Crown Prince hops onto the second rope and lashes out with a ladder-laced boot –

But Silent catches the kick over his shoulder.

The look that passes between the two men at that moment is significant – MacPhisto knows what’s just happened. He knows how close he is to losing, and worse. He’s got one shot and one shot only at saving his neck, literally.

With a quick prayer on his lips and the fans in mind, James Canterbury leaps into the air above the ring, looking to score a telling blow with the enziguri that has saved him so many times before.

But Silent knows it’s coming.

And he catches that leg, too.

“Oh God, no. Not like this.” Comet winces as Silent pulls Edwin’s legs up over his shoulders, leaving the Crown Prince hanging above the ring. Bobby Riley sits back down, a pale expression on his face – he’s seen this before.

In the back, Mark Stevens stands by a monitor, and as Kibagami places his arms underneath Edwin’s, it’s all he can do to simply turn away.

Brian Applewhite sits at his desk, watching the pay-per-view. He sees Edwin MacPhisto suspended in position for the Demonstar Driver. He remembers a night just a few years ago, playing poker with a couple of good friends.

He turns off the television, and he closes his eyes.

Out in the ring, in front of thousands of people, James Canterbury – Edwin MacPhisto – one of the greatest to ever grace this federation – can do nothing, except to close his eyes, as well.

And he falls.

BAM.

One.

Two.

Three.

Silent stands up, and looks down at a man he used to call his friend. He steps over Edwin’s body, and he begins to climb the cage.

Four.

Five.

Six.

Seven.

Nobody cheers. Nobody moves.

Eight.

Nine.

There’s nothing to say.

Ten.

DING DING DING!

The medics are already on their way to the ring, and Funyon has already unlocked the door. Funyon raises the microphone to his lips….and he turns away from the ring. He won’t be the one to say it. He refuses. He sits at the timekeeper’s table, his head in his hands.

MacPhisto is carefully, gently, tentatively laid on the stretcher and carried out of the ring. There’s no fanfare, no ceremony – nothing befitting of a man who has done so much for so many. The fans watch in silence as he is carried up the ramp and out of the arena. There’s no way to know exactly what condition he’s in, but everybody knows that it will be a very long time before they see Edwin MacPhisto again.

Cyclone Comet clears his throat. “Ladies and gentlemen…I know that the show must go on. It always does, and it always has. But I would like to take a moment to say…I’d like to say that this sort of thing should never have to happen.” Comet pauses, trying his best to maintain a level of professionalism, but the strain in his voice is all too clear. “This match…this was not the way it should’ve ended. Not for Edwin MacPhisto. Not for anyone. Not with someone like…I’m sorry, ladies and gentlemen.” Comet wipes some very genuine tears from his eyes. “I simply don’t know what else to say.”

Bobby Riley does not even attempt to provide closure. He simply stares at the SmarksTron, where Nathaniel Kibagami has finished his climb.

He stands at the height of the cage – hair bloodied, tights smeared with red, the words “No Salvation” shining on his back in the arena’s spotlights. Nathaniel Kibagami has collected his debt of blood, and more. He stands victorious after seven years.

And atop the cage, he raises his arms in a pose that’s all too familiar.

It can be argued that four different men entered the Lockdown match at Genesis IV. James Canterbury and Edwin MacPhisto. Silent and Nathaniel Kibagami. Only one of these men won the match, and only one of them left the ring under his own power.

Standing on the cage, arms outspread, his enemy’s blood still glistening on his chest…

Silent has won his battle, at last.

And to think…

…that the war hasn’t even begun.