TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/1 - 11/5

Brennan is not playing either.

Really? Can I get a source on that? The USA Today injury report didn't mention anything, and I couldn't find anything when I Googled it. If that's true, it would make the line even better than it was already, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's not going to play.

Guest Ether
You know the only bowl game I'd enjoy seeing us in?  Maybe vs. Notre Dame should they not get in the BCS.

I should have noticed this earlier but I wouldn't count on that game happening. The only way Louisville would meet Notre Dame in a bowl game would be with both teams make it to a BCS game. Notre Dame probably does so if they win out. Louisville can still theoretically win the Big East but need to have a 4-way or 5-way tie to do so.

Unfortunately, if Notre Dame loses one game and does not get a BCS bowl game, they will almost certainly steal the Gator Bowl from the 2nd place Big East team, which will likely be Louisville.

Yeah, too bad you didn't hit your parlay.

Mine, however, looks awesome:

5 Team Parlay #22695431

Football - College Lines (Game)

(380) Nevada Reno -5½ Sat@4:00p

(364) Iowa State -7 (-120) Sat@2:00p

(Bought 0.5 points)

Game can be seen on ESPN

(306) Louisville -21 (EVEN) Thu@7:45p

(346) Notre Dame -8½ (-105) Sat@2:30p

(357) Texas -28 (-115) Sat@12:30p

Risk $20.00 to win $491.01

Louisville took care of business on Thursday, Texas is up 41, ND's up 14 in the 1st quarter, and Iowa State's up 14.

I'm going to end up with a lot of money riding on that Nevada game, as they should be the deciding factor in that parlay, could be the deciding factor in my teaser, and I bet $300 on them straight up. (Straight up meaning not in a parlay, it's still with the spread.)

Is anyone else watching this Northwestern game?

Tremendous comeback as the Wildcats were down 27-14 with 2:30 to go, before getting a TD, recovering an onside kick, and then scoring another TD to take the lead.

I was watching the Texas/Baylor game for whatever reason, and I dunno how good Baylor is supposed to be, but I was somewhat impressed with Texas's defense and their receivers and running backs. They might give USC a battle.

AM i the only one who is not terribly impressed with Brian Calhoun? The guy gets 35-44 carries a game and then people make a big deal about him rushing for over 100 yards every week. He doesn't even average 5 yards a carry. I'll giver him credit for being a big time workshorse though.

My pick for the big game tonight:

Miami - 16

Va Tech - 14

Guest Ether
Well Rutgers decided to be the usual Rutgers and are losing 28-7. I should've known never to trust Rutgers in betting....

Rutgers tries to mount a comeback, but six turnovers lead to 28 points as South Florida wins, 45-31.

And the FSN announcers just declared that USC's defense couldn't handle the Texas offense.

And he said the Texas defense would be the fastest and most physical that USC would play.

Guest Ether

Shit, as soon as they switch over to the Penn St-Wisconsin game, Penn State scores to take the 7-0 lead.

Guest Leelee
AM i the only one who is not terribly impressed with Brian Calhoun?

I'm not either. He's another speed back, like many other in the country. He just gets tons of chances.

Wisconsin isn't even looking in the same league as Penn State right now.

The Bama vs. Miss St game has all the makings of an upset. Which would make me very happy since i'm a Canes fan

I was thinking about the Va. Tech/Miami game tonight and it's implications on the Rose Bowl picture. The similarities between VT, USC, and Texas's schedules up to this point are tremendous, with the only real difference being the one showcase game against a Top 10 opponent with one other loss. USC had their showcase against ND, Texas had theirs against OSU, and tonight VT has theirs against Miami. Thus, how they perform tonight is crucial to their ultimate destiny.

The way I see it, there are two magic numbers for Virginia Tech tonight, 6 and 9. USC and Texas both eked out victories in their big games, but both of those came on the road. Thus, when the Hokies, have their showcase game in Blacksburg, they need to be a little more impressive.

If they win by 6, that shows that they at least won by a full possession, and keeps them in a virtual dead heat for the top three spots. Then, the win over Florida State in the ACC championship could be enough to put them ahead of Texas. Meanwhile, if they win by 9, that means they won by more than one possession, and have to be considered more impressive than Texas or USC at this point of the season.

Of course, there are extenuating circumstances. If the game is sloppy, that could change things by a couple points, and if Virginia Tech wins a hard-fought game 10-6 with no turnovers, then they might still look good in comparison to their elite peers. However, if you were to try to nail down a score they have to win by tonight, I think the 6-8 range is iffy, anything under that makes them a definite #3, and anything over that makes them at least a #2.

Really? Can I get a source on that? The USA Today injury report didn't mention anything, and I couldn't find anything when I Googled it. If that's true, it would make the line even better than it was already, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's not going to play.

It was local news - I'll try to get something for you if it isn't too late.

EDIT: My mistake. Brennan isn't injured, but the headline was that June Jones would play Greinke (backup), as he feels that the guy needs the experience and playing time. He regretted not putting him in last week against Fresno.

So if Hawai'i falls behind early, look for things to only get worse.

Guest Vitamin X

So is North Carolina really all that good? Almost beat Miami, and they did beat Boston College. They look a lot better than they have in the past.

It was local news - I'll try to get something for you if it isn't too late.

No problem. I'm sure that if you're there, you have better information than I'd find just randomly surfing the web.

Besides, I already have as much money on that game as I feel comfortable putting on a football game, so it wouldn't make a difference for my actual wagering anyway.

So is North Carolina really all that good? Almost beat Miami, and they did beat Boston College. They look a lot better than they have in the past.

Praise be to God for giving me the clarity not to bet on BC.

Iggy, I didn't play risk/reward today, but I did go with a few sure-fires. Minnesota, Notre Dame, both Techs, Nevada and UCLA, all straight-up. I put in $7.15 to be cheap, but will rake in $71.46 if they hit. I have to put in more time next week to collect on the spread, but this is a good start.

No problem. I'm sure that if you're there, you have better information than I'd find just randomly surfing the web.

Yeah, I overheard the newscast that said that Brennan might not play tonight, but it was actually referring to his frustration to his performance, not an injury. Jones was willing to throw the game to get Greinke in there.

Gotcha on Brennan bravesfan, and good luck with the parlay.

I really don't see much for potential landmines there although Miami could always knock off Va. Tech. I remember on College Gameday this morning, Kirk Herbrstreit was pointing out that Miami's 4-0 as an underdog under Larry Coker.

Still though, Virginia Tech's so good this year that I really can't see them losing at home.

5 Team Parlay #22695431

(380) Nevada Reno -5½ Sat@4:00p

(364) Iowa State -7 (-120) Sat@2:00p (Bought 0.5 points)

(306) Louisville -21 (EVEN) Thu@7:45p

(346) Notre Dame -8½ (-105) Sat@2:30p

(357) Texas -28 (-115) Sat@12:30p

Risk $20.00 to win $491.01

That is a ridiculous parlay. Good luck, iggy.

Guest Ether

This is horrible. The one weekend I have off where I'm not traveling to Pittsburgh to watch a Pitt game, just about everybody I'm wanting to win has either lost or is losing. The only team that I'm pulling for to win that is winning is Notre Dame, which is almost as bad as rooting for WVU. Not to mention that I would rather watch whatever Lifetime is playing tonight than Virginia Tech/Miami.

Kansas beat the holy shit out of Nebraska.