TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

The ONE and ONLY comics recommendations thread

Guest areacode212

OK, I've been wanting to do this for a while, and now that I can pin topics, this is a good time.

In a lot of forums I visit (various comics boards, the Comic folder at WDI, etc), people ask: "What are some good comics that you guys recommend?". So, I figured I'd keep one pinned topic here where we can send people who ask this question.

So, could you guys list your favorites, along with a little blurb? I'll do mine later.

Guest The Son of Sting

Do you want recent and old stuff recommend here?

Daredevil - The current Bendis run is amazing. Get it.

I will list more later.

Guest raptor

I cannot begin to praise Howard the Duck enough. It's funny, thought provoking, and the art is amazing. GET IT, OR GET CANCER~!

I also recommend Buffy the Vampire Slayer to fans of the show, especially those unsatisfied with season 6's decidedly dark tone.

eXiles is the best comic on the market. Nuff' Said.

Guest areacode212

I initially intended this to be for current stuff, but if you'd like to recommend older runs you love (especially if they're somewhat off the beaten path, but not necessarily), then feel free. I'll type up something offline, after I finish reading the comics I bought today (I'm a little tired, from standing on line to meet Benoit.)

Since you mentioned older stuff, let me recommend:

Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude. This awesome comic, which was published in the Eighties by First! Publishing, then later picked up by Dark Horse, was a long-running, terrific SF/superhero saga of a man named Horatio Hellpop who was forced by an alien to become an executioner of evildoers (something like an intergalactic Punisher, only with more of a conscience). The art in this book is gorgeous, and it's what launched Steve Rude to fame. The characters were all really memorable, and it was interesting to see everyone develop throughout the years. The Nexus: The Next Nexus mini-series (about the 3 daughters of General Loomis, who was killed by Hellpop) is one of the best comics I've ever read. You can pick these up pretty cheap on eBay (at least I did, a few years ago).

Guest raptor

For older runs, I suggest tracking down Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters and Green Arrow 1-20. Both are by Mike Grell, and will totally blow your socks off. It's dark, moody, and violent, the antithesis of Kevin Smith's run. Also, I recommend Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Ring of Fire. If they had made it into an episode, it'd be the best one they ever did.

Guest Flyboy

After picking up all the Origin series (which is DAMNED hard to find them all), I suggest you pick up Wolverine #176... it had me thinking, "WHAT THE FUCK?!"  Can't wait for #177.

I also suggest picking up the Fugitive Batman series they're running... that's really getting good.

I've read a good Spider-Man one that is good (not the Tangled Web one.. this one has Green Goblin in it), but don't know the number to it.

I've been meaning to pick up the Tangled Web one with Raven in it, BUT I've been low on dough.  -_-

I wish I could help more with suggestions, but I usually just read Wolverine, Spider-Man, and Batman.  ^_^  I need to break from that mold.  I read ONE issue of the Exiles, and was amazed, but stopped there for some odd reason.

Geez, there's so much good stuff out these-a-days...

Catwoman. X-Force. eXiles. Flash. THE FILTH~!. Black Panther (very continuity heavy but so worth tracking down back issues. Sal Velluto is the great hidden penciller of the 21st century.). The last Barry Ween miniseries. Tangled Web. All the Ultimate titles. Grant Morrison's great New X-Men. Stray Bullets, and the recent "Murder Me Dead" miniseries (collected in a nice TP). Blue Monday. Anything Jim Mahfood draws. Ministry of Space, if they would just come out with the last issue! The last Enemy Ace miniseries, written by Garth Ennis with art by Chris Weston and Russ Heath (who is the man, if you haven't seen his work).

Guest Whatmaniac
OK, I've been wanting to do this for a while, and now that I can pin topics, this is a good time.

In a lot of forums I visit (various comics boards, the Comic folder at WDI, etc), people ask: "What are some good comics that you guys recommend?". So, I figured I'd keep one pinned topic here where we can send people who ask this question.

So, could you guys list your favorites, along with a little blurb? I'll do mine later.

Alright, here are my recommendations:

-Thunderbolts: easily the best and possibly the most underrated comic book that Marvel is producing.

-Exiles: The best X-title out there

-X-Treme X-men: it is quite good despite the corny name.

-Avengers: Marvel's second best title. Kurt Busiek is an extraordinarily talented writer.

-Wolverine: Fantastic art and good stories though they are not for the weak of heart or the overly intellectual.

Guest areacode212

jtronx, looks like you and I are kindred spirits. Most of that shit you put down will be on my list too. The Enemy Ace: War In Heaven 2-issue series indeed kicked much ass, and is at the moment my single favorite Ennis story (though he has so many good ones). It's definitely worth checking out, especially if Ennis's usual stuff leaves you cold. For those unfamiliar with him, Hans von Hammer (Enemy Ace) was a WW1 fighter pilot for the Axis, who was featured in many DC war comics for years. This story chronicles what happens to von Hammer during World War II, and shows what happens when he is recruited by his country once more, but this time for Nazi Germany. Good, good shit.

I have no time to write blurbs, but eventually, I'll come back to edit this post and add them.

Ongoing/occasional series:

DC/Vertigo

Catwoman (my favorite mainstream DC title right now, by far. It's so good!)

Detective Comics

The Legion

Batman

Batgirl (I've picked up a couple of issues and liked them)

Fables

Lucifer

Marvel

X-Force

Daredevil

Exiles

Tangled Web (this has been on a roll lately)

New X-Men

Deadline

Spider-Man: Blue

The Ultimates

Alias

Elektra

Ultimate Spider-Man

Other

STRAY BULLETS~!

Queen & Country

Blue Monday

I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of stuff, but it's late and I'm tired. Not to mention the fact that I have a brand-new Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Two DVD set to watch. I'll add more later.

Guest Anorak

I spent my youth reading the following comics and would recommend them to anyone, most of them aren't around anymore although you never know what you might come across at a school fete.

The Beano:

The grandaddy of them all, i'm sure its still going but i've no idea of how bad it might be nowadays as 70 years is a long time to keep things fresh. Being a kids comic you're going to grow out of it eventually but back in the old days strips like 'The Bash Street Kids' and 'Calamity James' were genuinly inspired enough transcend that. I must have been about 12 when i bought my last issue which is admittedly a couple of years later than most normal people. I liked 'Dennis the Menace' of course but like 'Roy of the Rovers' i never considered the 'star' of the comic to appear in the best strip. I used to own a very cool 'Bash Street Kids' t-shirt which i wore proudly at every opportunity and i was also a member of the 'Dennis the Menace' fan club as well. A legendary kids comic that deserves its place in history.

Whizzer and Chips:

One of the numerous comics in the Beano style which was around when i was younger. Had a few very poor strips but also some great ones which made it worthwhile. I was never a fan of 'The Dandy' (The Beano's closet rival) and comics like 'Topper' were strictly second division stuff  as far as i was concerned. One strange aspect of W & C was that the comic was seperated into two feuding factions and half the characters would belong to both gangs, i was a Whizz kid myself and damn proud of it.

Tiger Comic

The birthplace of 'Roy of the Rovers' and many great strips covering all manner of 'boys own' adventures. Strips about beating the Germans at war and football sat alongside others dealing with athletics, wrestling or just general 'Indiana Jones' type adventure yarns. Its weird looking back just how many of the 'boys own' adventure stuff i read in Tiger and elsewhere was obsessed by WW2. By the time i was 9 or 10 i knew about a dozen insulting slang words for the evil Germans and Japanese (many older people in Britain still feel contempt for the cruelty Japan inflicted on POW'S in the war, my Mum and Dad for example), my hero's were not superhero's fighting crime or battling monsters but grizzled soldiers shooting dead Germans and slitting the throats of dastardly Japs. Tiger was originally the home of the classic sci-fi strip 'Dan Dare' as well, i think that strip eventually found its into 'Eagle magazine in the late 80's/early 90's. Tiger was pretty much finished when i started reading comics but through buying or borrowing old issues and yearly annuals it became one of my favourite reads, ROTR became its own weekly comic in the 70's i think and i'm not sure when Tiger bit the dust, maybe not too long after the mid 80's. Its no surprise it did as it was a very old fashioned comic which  never really got out of the 50's in many ways.

Roy of the Rovers

My personal favourite, a whole comic of football related strips which was excellent for a young football obsessive like myself. I learnt more about football from reading ROTR than i ever did wasting my time with 'young peoples' football magazines like 'Shoot' or 'Match'. ROTR never recieved its due for exposing the seedier side of the 'beautiful game' to its innocent young readers. Endless stories about cheating foreigners and sleazy chairman were essential education for young minds about the often cynical nature of the game, it wasn't as soft and idealized as many thought. Despite what some disbelievers might say, Roy Race DIDN'T score a last minute winner every week and even Billy Dane didn't quite lose his beloved boots every week in 'Billy's Boots', the storytelling was often very good. 'Hamish and Mouse, 'Billy's Boots' and 'Tommy's Troubles' were my favourite strips, two short lived strips towards the end of the comic's life, 'Buster's Ghost' and 'Cheat', were both excellent as well.

Beavis and Butthead

I was always a big fan of the show and thought it had several touches of subtle and intelligent humour people never gave it credit for. The comic was padded out by worthless filler columns and stupid letters pages but i thought the main strips were excellently drawn and written. I thought B & B seemed perfectly suited to a comic strip, it just seemed to work seamlessly.

Although i've spent my life reading what some may call old fashioned or even 'obscure' (from an American point of view) comics i still feel there's stuff out there that i'd love if i got round to reading them. This thread is a great idea for hopefully getting into some rewarding modern stuff.

Apart from Batman i've never cared about superhero's, is there anything somebody would recommend thats far removed from any sword/sorcery/superpowers elements, is there anything essential out there that is slightly off the beaten track?

I remember once when young reading through a stack of British comics and liking them very much.

Of course the only ones we can get around here are VIZ and some oversized Titan Comics reprints of Judge Dredd, Halo Jones etc.

Anorak - have you tried Stray Bullets ever? It is the greatest, and no superheroes, magic, robots, or anything like that in sight. There is a website here.

Guest Anorak

Thanks for the link jtronx, mind if a ask a couple of questions?

The 'Victimology' story on the site was unbelievably depressing and sad, i'm not sure i could handle reading a whole collection of such relentlessly grim material but at the same time i found it quite engrossing. Maybe it was the fact the 'victim' was a young girl that made it so tragic and disturbing, it was pretty heavy stuff for someone who grew up reading Roy of the Rovers! Are the main characters in most Stray Bullets stories generally more unsympathetic than the girl was in 'Victimology'? Are they all as bleak and hopeless in their tone? It was an excellent strip, it gave me a similar experience to that i've felt reading certain short stories by some American authors, it was vivid and powerful enough to stay with you after you had finished reading it.

Could i get my hands on a copy over here? I'm clueless when it comes to knowing where to get stuff like this as i used to buy most of my comics straight from newsagents.

Thanks again.

Yeah, Stray Bullets can get very bleak, but there is also a thread of dark humor that runs through it, and recurring themes and characters that resonate through the series as a whole.

As for picking it up in Britain, I have no idea. There's comic shops over there, right (I've heard of 'Planet X' in London but have no idea where you are located)?

If you are looking for something by the author (David Lapham) that is a bit less depressing I recommend trying to find one of the 'Amy Racecar Color Specials.'

Guest areacode212

Well, the Amy Racecar color specials are still tied in with Stray Bullets, so you won't fully appreciate them unless you're reading the regular SB title. But yeah, they're still a bit more light-hearted than the "real world" SB stories (but there's a reason for that).

Also, yeah, "Victimology" was a pretty depressing issue, especially when you see that last page. Some of the people who picked up this issue on Free Comic Book Day (I'm not sure if this was the "official" FCBD issue, or if some stores gave this one away after running out of the other one) were also a bit disturbed by it. But don't worry, Ginny eventually becomes one of the main characters of the book. She isn't dead at the end of the issue, even though it looked like it.

What you *should* be worried about is what happens to her in the latest issue of SB. :)

Guest Anorak

Please give us a bit of a spoiler! You've left me even more intrigued now!

I suppose i'll have to look into getting the comics now and find out for myself.

I think there's probably less places over here that specialize in comics but there's got to be somewhere, i plan to inquire further anyway.

In the unlikely event of anyone wanting to know anything about the comics i mentioned earlier then feel free.

Thanks for your time.

Guest areacode212

I'd rather not have a lot of spoilers in this thread, just because someone wandering in looking for a good comic book recommendation may not appreciate it. Anyway, there are 20-odd issues of SB between "Victimology" and the current one, so you don't really have to worry about it for now.

Also, you should check out http://www.onipress.com. They also have free issues for download (in pdf format), of non-superhero/sci-fi/fantasy titles, including ones that have been listed in this thread (Blue Monday, Whiteout (of which Queen & Country is a spin-off))

Stray Bullets is available in collected TPB format, but since El Capitan is a small company, I'm not sure if their distributorship extends to the U.K. If it does, it's popular enough that a comic shop should carry it; if not, ask them to order it, or try eBay (where I got the 1st SB hardcover collection for a good price)

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I have never really been into comic books, but I read them once in awhile. Right now, two of my roommates have some comic books in the house and I have checked out a few. The extent of my comic book knowledge has been peiced together from the series 2 Marvel cards and some cartoons. I have read some Wizard magazines that they have and I know a little bit more now. I kind of like the graphic novels that they have. Kingdom Come was one that I liked and I kind of liked the one where the Justice League goes to the antimatter universe and meets their opposites.

As far as recommendations go, I recommend the Ultimate Guide to the Dark Knight by Scott Beatty. I read it last week and found it interesting. It's kind of like a pictoral dictionary for Batman. It described his gadgets and how they work and even answers some of the questions I have always had about Batman while presenting new tidbits of information that I never knew.

Are there any graphic novels that you guys recommend?

Guest areacode212

I have to run to work in a bit, but yeah, I liked JLA: Earth 2 a lot too. Also, the Kingdom Come annotations might help increase your appreciation for that series.

As for other GNs, there's Watchmen, of course. And the Sandman series, which is entirely available in TPB format. The Man in Blak started a thread about it over at WDI--here's a link to it.

Guest massivHEDtrauma

Here's my list of favorites, so I figure I'll list 'em as recommended (be forewarned, I tend to like weird stuff):

Preacher: Preacher is my favorite series of all time. It's spectacularly funny, poignant at times, and flawlessly written. At characterization, writer Garth Ennis is second to none. Every character is just dripping with personality. And, hell, I love things that take religion on with a rage. The series is almost 70 issues long and the entire thing is available in trade paperback.

Watchmen: The greatest superhero story ever told, written by the MASTER, Alan Moore. This is my second favorite series of all time. It tells the story of the death of an "old-guard" superhero and the vast conspiracy that develops around it. Watchmen also has the distinction of having the absolute greatest ending to any comic book series in history. It covers twelve issues (if I remember correctly), all available in one trade paperback.

Batman done by Frank Miller: Frank Miller is the king of the Batman story, plain and simple. His tales include Batman: Year One (supposedly soon to be a movie by Requiem For A Dream director Darren Aronofsky), The Dark Knight Returns, and its sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again. In all of these, Miller gets to the absolute heart of his main character and weaves brilliant yarns. Each of these can be found in trade paperback, except Dark Knight Strikes Again, which is still new (the third issue has been delayed for, like, three months).

Anything by Jhonen Vasquez: Jhonen Vasquez is perhaps best known for his Nickelodeon cartoon, Invader Zim (of which I am also a die-hard fan). But his other works, specifically Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee!, and I Feel Sick, show a twisted edge to comic books. His stuff is generally very dark, juxtaposed with really weird comedy that you'll either love or hate. Me, I love it.

Milk & Cheese: If you're looking for comedy, this is the thing to get. Milk & Cheese are two foul-mouthed, violent, beer-drinking dairy products out to show what morons people are. Of course, hilarity ensues. If you like Space Ghost: Coast 2 Coast (written by Milk & Cheese creator Evan Dorkin), you should like this a lot. Milk & Cheese collections are available in trade paperback, and new strips occasionally pop up in Evan Dorkin's comic Dork.

The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank: This series is also written by Garth Ennis. It's just straight ahead action from the word go. No special spy vans, no high-tech gear, just a story about a guy out to kill a bunch of criminals and clean up New York City. This is available in trade paperback as well.

Those are my favorites. So there.

Guest massivHEDtrauma

I forgot another one of my all-time favorites:

The Maxx: The Maxx is best described as pure gonzo comic book writing, pretty much psychadelia at its best. For one, the art looks like an acid trip, and for another, it's about a gigantic rabbit who is the spirit protector of a rape victim being stalked by things from her mind. Weird, eh? The Maxx was written and drawn by one Sam Keith and I believe it is available in trade paperback format. If not, the back issues aren't really that hard to find.

Guest cynicalprofit

First and formost, avoid any big name titles if you want a good book. X-men, wolverine, superman, etc. all are pretty watered down and lack any real substance. But in times when certains writers get a hold of them, they can be bareable.

since no one listed it BRAT PACK. Seriously worth finding if you can. Its about these sidekicks and how messed up being a side kcik really is. took me 2 years to track down the 5 issues(or 4). The TPB version has a different ending. And if you get those, GET THE MAXIMORTAL TPB, this is seriously one of the most underrated books ever and its a serious parady of what really happened in the early days of comics, workers getting stiffed, the congress comitties, etc, and theres the kick ass story of the who is the idea of perfection. And well you'll have to read it to really get it.

Preachers been mentioned , and by good if that wasnt the last comic book i kept up with cause everything since then has pretty muhc been 100% shit. But with Ennis, anything he touches i usualy pretty good, but I havent read the punshier stuff yet.(But if you ccensor ennis, you take away from his power to tell a story). Also check out GODDESS by ennis. Its a story about a girl who gets these god like powers...and welL i never did read the last few books so im in the dark as to what happens other then wacy advntures and ppl trying to kill her.

Poison Elves is pretty cool case it violates the standard elves are nice creatures rule. But i havent read it in years.

Bone is 100% worth getting, trust me here.

Understanding comic s and reinventing comics by scott mcloud are awesome if you want to understand comics, their history and importance to the world, totaly underpriced at like 15 a piece.

Watchmen, Dark Knight(but not the new one, dear good those look awful), and Sandman are all pretty specataular too.

If you want art, go for todd macfarlanes spiderman stuff, really revolutionized what the character could be in terms of design.

And ANYTHING by Bill Siniwikicz(I know i spelled it horribly horribly wrong) But his art is just so different that its beyond your mind. Check out New Mutants, Daredevil, and MoonKnight

Guest jtronx
First and formost, avoid any big name titles if you want a good book. X-men, wolverine, superman, etc. all are pretty watered down and lack any real substance. But in times when certains writers get a hold of them, they can be bareable

'New X Men' is currently written by Grant Morrison (Invisibles, Filth, JLA relaunch, JLA: Earth 2), and IMHO is as good as it's been since before issue 200 of the original series.

since no one listed it BRAT PACK

Damn straight. Completely great.

You know the comic-swear-word symbols (@#*!) that serve as Dr. Blasphemy's logo?

I have that tattooed down my calf. :)

And people: Buy Blue Monday. Just buy it.

Guest Combat Apparatus

Earth X for a great graphic novel.

also check out the new Spider-Man/Black Cat mini-series by Kevin Smith, it's Capital

Guest cynicalprofit

I hate the big name books mainly because they have been shoved down our throats since we could first read. I mean no parent gave their child anything but bat,sups, or an x book as a kid. And it really limited your taste as to whats out there and what can be done with the comic book medium.

And I never read anythign by morris, so I cant judge. But he did write invisibles, so he immediately gains credibility in by book, but why do you want to write jla, its just more good guy bad vs guy fluff. uck.

Guest starvenger

If you're a Star Wars fan, you should check out the "Star Wars: Tales" anthology series. It's out of continuity stories ("Infinities") and some of them are quite good, with contributions from Terry Moore, Kevin Rubio (the "Troops" guy) and Sergio Aragones.

Guest jtronx

Starvenger wrote:

If you're a Star Wars fan, you should check out the "Star Wars: Tales" anthology series. It's out of continuity stories ("Infinities") and some of them are quite good, with contributions from Terry Moore, Kevin Rubio (the "Troops" guy) and Sergio Aragones.

I like the 'Tag And Bink Are Dead' 2-parter, wish there was more.

Combat Apparatus wrote:

also check out the new Spider-Man/Black Cat mini-series by Kevin Smith, it's Capital

Hell yeah! And this team (Smith writing, the Dodsons on art) are going to be taking over one of the 'mainline' Spidey titles soon.

Cynicalprofit wrote:

I hate the big name books mainly because they have been shoved down our throats since we could first read. I mean no parent gave their child anything but bat,sups, or an x book as a kid. And it really limited your taste as to whats out there and what can be done with the comic book medium.

My mom taught me how to read with Richie Rich (and other Harvey titles), New Teen Titans, and, strangely enough, GI Joe. I don't think any of these limited my tastes at all, and when I got a few years older and discovered the X-Men (the good Claremont/Byrne and Cockrum stuff) it was all over for me.

And I never read anythign by morris, so I cant judge.

So why are you?

But he did write invisibles, so he immediately gains credibility in by book,

How? You've never read it.

but why do you want to write jla, its just more good guy bad vs guy fluff. uck.

Maybe he wanted a fat DC paycheck. Maybe he wanted to play with the characters he grew up on. Either way, he succeeded greatly (in my opinion). Thanks for taking the time to offer an opinion without having actually read any of the comics involved! Cheers!

Guest GenerationNever

Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimate X-Men

Batman: Year One

Zero Girl

If you like the Maxx(I own almost every issue)you'll love "Zero Girl." It's also by Sam Keith and the art is very similar.

Guest Sassquatch

I'd just like to say that the *real* king of Batman comics is Jim Starlin.

That is not a joke either.

Frank is a one trick pony when it comes to Batman while Starlin has proven over and over he has what it takes to write some of the finest Batman stories ever told.

That's my two cents.

Guest GenerationNever
I'd just like to say that the *real* king of Batman comics is Jim Starlin.

That is not a joke either.

Frank is a one trick pony when it comes to Batman while Starlin has proven over and over he has what it takes to write some of the finest Batman stories ever told.

That's my two cents.

Frank Miller's "one trick pony," as in "Batman: Year One," is pretty damn good.