TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

The ONE and ONLY comics recommendations thread

Surprised that only one person mentioned Powers. A buddy of mine recommended it and it is now my favorite comic.

Also, no one mentioned Hellblazer?? While I am not all that impressed with the newer stuff, the old stuff is brilliant.

Rising Stars is great too. Plus Preacher is awesome.

Guest ShawnTybalt

G. I. Joe and Transformers are both spiffy books, both new and old.

I must also recommend Soulsearchers & Co. from Claypool Comics. One of the best books no one ever mentions EVER.

Guest Joe

I just started getting back into comics recently...I stopped collecting when I was 12, like in 1995, but now I'm getting back into the swing of things (mostly because the writing is so great these days)...

So far the books I buy are:

Ultimate Spider-Man (this is the book that got me back into reading/collecting)

Ultimate X-Men (I'm only still buying this cause Bendis took over the writing...god, Mark Millar was killing me there)

Batman (After reading how the "hottest creative team going today" was behind this book in Wizard, I had to buy it...Since about issue #612 I've been hooked...Hush is the best story arc I've read pretty much ever)

Daredevil (Just picked up the last two issues, mainly because Bendis is the writer...Good stuff so far, I'm looking forward to making this a permanent must-collect book)

Other books I've picked up and read recently but I'm not hooked just yet:

100 Bullets (It's kind of strange...I'm going to buy at least the next issue and see if I can be pulled in...It's like Pesto, I really want to like it but so far it's just not my taste)

Kingpin (I picked up #2 and liked it a lot...I'll buy #3 but I'm not ready to add this to my must-by list just yet)

Gotham Central (Bought #8, it was okay but nothing all that great...I won't be buying this title again)

And I wanted to get Teen Titans #1 but it was sold out when I went to my comic book store Friday! I was so annoyed...I have to search for it now...

I'm looking for a few other books to buy too so I need to read over this thread...

Guest HHH123007

I'll recommend the new Human Torch series...

It's light, fun reading....I hope they end this first arc soon though, it's taking forever.

I could use some recomendations also, though I generally don't like to read books with characters I don't really like, usually even if they are written well, I cant get into them if I don't like the core of the character (for example, Daredevil, or Green Lantern, or Avengers).

But here's what I read currently:

New X-Men

Ultimate Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man (written by JMS, of Babylon 5)

Alias (Brian Michael Bendis, unrelated to the TV show)

Fantastic Four

Batman

Fray (Joss Whedon, Buffyverse story in the grungy future, is good on its own independant of show)

Recommendations for past stories:

Watchmen (You can get the TPB at any major bookstore. Frankly if you haven't read, this should be your #1 priority out of any reccomendation)

Batman stories: (all are available in TPBs)

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

The Killing Joke

The Long Halloween

Guest mike mayhem

Marvel

Marvel Super Heroes [tm] Secret Wars - 334 pages long how could any-one not like it, its basically all the good guys vs the bad guys & they have been put on this one planet & there has to be a victor in the whold squable & Spiderman gets his black suit in it as well B-)

Any Asterix books are well worth a read

DC

The Authority Inferno- a brilliant piece of work, with a good storyline...& gore & some swear words

Manga

ah my fave comic books are the Manga type :D

I recomend:

The Dragonball & Dragonball Z books - tons of humor & jokes that kids & Adults will get.

Yu-Gi-OH! - an OK book.

Battle Royale ( 8 books in the series)

I've only got the first two books of the Manga version of Battle Royale. They are very,very good :D There's gore & swear words in them deffintly not one for young kids. The plot is taken from the Battle Royale book, not the film, but its still bloody good :headbang:

Guest Ascalon

I don't read Marvel or DC anymore but I have some decent manga recommendations.

Battle Royale: Even though the series is more last week than low rise pants, the series is still worth watching/reading/watever. I would start with the long ass book put out by Viz communications, then watch the movie. Beat Takeshi is in it after all! The manga is an ok read....stay with the book.

Naruto: Shounen Jump is the easiest way to get it over here...but look in IRC for earlier volumes. Volumes 13-present are here at http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~rmazores/naruto/

Hana Yori Dango: You may think of this as a girly shounen-y manga. Well it is, yet it is amazing. KKNJ has nothing on HYD, which spans 35+ volumes(I think). But lately, the story has been getting kinda stale so beware from vol. 30 and on. Look in IRC chan #hawks @aniverse(I think). It's worth it.

Battle Angel Alita: First manga I ever read...Still PWNAGE.

Green Lantern is an iffy character...he's one of my favorites. However, there has been a lot of crappy GL stuff. GL usually is a better supportive character/team mate than a lead. He's kind of an acquired taste...either you like it or you don't.

the BEST GL stuff as all time is the Green Lanter/Green Arrow stuff by Denny O'Neil from the 70's. It is extremely reccommended, but very hard to acquire.

The Hulk Trilogy.

It takes place in Iron Man #131 to #133. It is easily one of Iron Man's best fight's and a strong contender for best fight ever in a comic book.

Hawkeye is amazing.

Everyone should buy Fables right now.

Dark Horse's Conan should rule with Busiek and Nord doing it. Oh, and they're bringing back Shi. Happy days for me!

These are my favorite u.s. comics:

New X-Men by Morrison, that planet x storyline should be made into a movie.

Superman and Batman

Teen Titans

the incredible Hulk by Jones and Deodato is the best Hulk since Byrne was the writer years ago.

Punisher by Garth Ennis

Ultimates

Ultimate Spider man

Ultimate x-men

JSA

G.I.Joe

Transformers:all the titles

amazing and spectacular spiderman

manga titles:

weapons of Gods from comicsone

crouching tiger hidden dragon from comicsone

fist of the northstar deluxe edition

shonen jump

raijin comics

I couldnt recommend X-Statix enough.

You should probably recommend it even more, as X-Statix is cancelled after the Avengers arc.

It makes me a little sad, but I'm more excited to see Allred return to his Snap City work.

Essential X-Men Volume 5 just came out this week.

It covers Uncanny X-Men #180-198, plus two annuals. Claremount was writing (back when he was eally good) and the art's by John Romita Jr. and Barry Windsor-Smith. The volumn includes the classie "Lifedeath" stories, Rachel Summers joining the team, Storm losing her powers, the introduction of Forge, Nimrod, and Magneto's mid-80s face turn.

These are the X-Men books I read when I was first discovering comics, and I'm pleased to say that the writing still holds up today. The mid-80s were a really good time for Marvel (in addition to Claremont's work on X-Men, you also had Roger Stern's run on Avengers, Mark Grunwald's run on Capt. America, and John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four all going on at the same time).

This is a great value for $17.

I'll recommend the Harley & Ivy 3 part mini-series, Shane Glines' work is pretty good and Dini/Timm are always fabulous. The series is a fun romp(Still trying to find when the damn 3rd issue is out) and is worth the $7.50 it'll cost.

I'll recommend the Harley & Ivy 3 part mini-series, Shane Glines' work is pretty good and Dini/Timm are always fabulous. The series is a fun romp(Still trying to find when the damn 3rd issue is out) and is worth the $7.50 it'll cost.

Harvey and Ivy #3 is due out on June 30th. I agree it's a really fun story.

Here are my favorite books at the moment

Birds of Prey

Gotham Central

Catwoman

Fables

Wonder Woman

Superman

Adventures of Superman

And I highly recommend that everyone purchase Superman:Secret Identity and DC: The New Frontier. Absolutely incredible mini-series.

Also the biggest DC comic of the year "Identity Crisis" starts on Wednesday and I suggest that everyone check it out.

This may be a bit much since its been a long time, but with all the talk about DC lately I'm intrigued to pick up some new stuff on Wednesday. I need to be brought back to speed on a few characters.

Batman - The last issue I read was when Tim took over being Robin.

Superman - My last issue was with the Toyman killing Cat's son.

Thanks for any help.

This may be a bit much since its been a long time, but with all the talk about DC lately I'm intrigued to pick up some new stuff on Wednesday. I need to be brought back to speed on a few characters.

Batman - The last issue I read was when Tim took over being Robin.

Superman - My last issue was with the Toyman killing Cat's son.

Thanks for any help.

Both those stories came out about 10 and 15 years ago respectively.

Batman #442 was when Drake put on the Robin costume for the first time. Batman #457 was the issue where he officially became Robin. Cat's son was killed in Superman #93 (2nd series) if I'm not mistaken.

Guest The Last Free Voice

I'd recomend the first TPB of Runaways. The story was great, and original, which is something hard for the major companies to do nowadays.

I've been reading the new Invaders comic, but I'm not feeling it that much, probably because it seems as if I'm losing a LOT because I don't really know the backstory on.....just about all of these characters (outside of Namo).

Current fave: Gotham Central.