TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

The ONE and ONLY comics recommendations thread

Just got Astonishing X-Men #17.

Everything ties together pretty nicely, i.e. what the Hellfire Club's goal is, how White Queen uses mind over matter to take out Kitty and use her to their advantage, the Danger/Space Station Escape stuff comes to the mansion, and there's a pretty damn cool ending, too. Wolverine delivers one of the most classic lines ever in AXM.

Also grabbed:

Ghost Rider #3

X-Factor #11

Good issue, as always, things are gonna hit the fan with the conclusion in #12 and the awesome therapy tribute issue in #13.

Civil War #4

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! Someone gets killed. And the last page...good lord.

Civil War: X-Men #3

You didn't get the Wolverine tie in? I thought the same about Civil War 4's ending. It's making me look forward to #5, the art on that page was just awesome.

No, the art in Wolverine is the worst art I have ever seen since that issue of Uncanny X-Men abord the airplace (like...352ish) with some 10-12 different fill-in artists at once. And after Wolvie went skeletal and just walked around afterwards, I gave up.

I also quit reading Wolverine: Origins, because it deals with shitty villains like Nuke & Omega Red and it tries too hard to appear edgy.

___

It's also bullshit how in Civil War: X-Men, a former X-team member gets "killed" by another former X-team member, because:

A) It starts off good, with one yelling to the other, "YOU MURDERER!!!"

B) Minutes later, they're all "We have to help him live!" (the "dead" person)

C) They picked the lamest mutant out of the lamest team to off.

I take it you have got a copy of 32 now. I cannot stress how much I am enjoying The Walking Dead. So much going on right now and I can't wait to see where it heads next. This is the first book I've actively followed and its just such a rewarding experience actually going out every few weeks and getting the new edition. Then sitting back and reading it and always wanting more. Who knew?

Yeah, I got it. 33 came out today too (Well, probably yesturday in the States) which was a nice surprise being so soon after the other one but I guess it was making up for the huge delay between the two. I have to say it was a pretty brutal (in terms of the action, not quality) issue.

Probably one of the most intense torture scenes i've seen.

. Anyway hopefully the next issue will come out in the next 2-4weeks.

It doesn't come out in regular intervals then I take it?

I'll definatly take a trip into town tomorrow to pick up the new copy. If I've got the money I might get the next 100 Bullets collection I need as well.

Well it was monthly, but over the summer there was about a two month delay. Then it was smooth enough sailing until about September, and then there was another two month (or more) delay till the end of November when 32 came out. So I'm guessing they are just making up for lost time. My understanding is that Kirkman is a bit overwhelmed with his increase in stuff for Marvel, so unfortunatly the Walking Dead is taking a back-seat.

Seems fair enough, and who can blame him? It is Marvel after all. I didn't really notice the lapse over the summer as I was about 20 miles away from anywhere that sold comic books. Still a little disheartening to see though.

I advise you to pick up the Jan. 4th Amazing Spider-Man issue if only for the ending.

Also, the story FINALLY picks up in Uncanny, good stuff heading into the final 4 parts (of 12!) of the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar storyline.

Robert Rodriguez is apparently going to do a 'Madman' movie. *fappity fap* Blue-screened, andapparently the casting is done, at least.

Madman is one of those comics which every other writer/illustrator just drools over and is bought by no-one. Sort of the comic-book version of Robert Altman.

Either way, it's very funny, quite sweet, (as in innocent and fun, not SWEET!) and I really like Allred's art. (He's the guy who did X-Force/statix with Pete Milligan)

It's sort of an homage to the Kirby comics, I think. Freaking hard to find. I've got about 2/3rds of it.

There's definitely a little Kirby influence in Allerd's art, which is really influenced by 50s/60s advertising/comics. You can see that he definitely liked artists like Warhol and Lichtenstein.

I like what I've read in Madman, but I just hated his and Milligan's X-Force/Statix run.

I think X-Force was great, but it definitely took a sharp dive. The script became too self-conscious.

But yeah, I really like Madman and, by extension, the Atomix. How can you not like a comic that bills itself as "The World's Snappiest Comic Magazine!" And Madman's costume design is just awesome.

One last thing I re-read recently that I forgot to mention: Alan Moore's TOp 10.

THe concept is basically the exact same as Powers (or vice-versa). A team of cops policing a city completely overrun by super-powered people. It allows for lots of weird and fun character design. From Kemlo Caesar, an intelligent doberman in an exoskeleton, to Smax, to synaesthesia, an officer who is, well synaesthetic. And physical character designs range from the completely badass looking Smax to the Gundam-looking Joe Pi.

It has a good story, but what really shines through is Alan Moore's sense of humor, which seems to rarely be on display. It's very funny. Especially in the fantasy-themed 'Smax' mini-series.

Also, after you're done reading, there's tons of little tiny background cameos, from elastic man to Totoro, which are fun to pick up on. And the art is absolutely fantastic (well, 'Smax' to a lesser extent, but that art really fits the fantasy theme)

So far, I've read the 12 issues of top 10 in TPB form, and the 5 issues of Smax. There's also a graphic novel prequel called "Top 10, the 49ers" and I hear there's a direct sequel being put out, though not written by Moore.

ok, so I'm a casual (at best) comic fan and I just finished reading Welcome Back, Frank and I got to day, I loved it. I found it really fun to read. So on that note, I'm trying to decide what to pick up next. I want to get some Punisher stuff, so I was thinking I would either get Army of One (which I think is VOL 2 in the series) or I was thinking about starting up on the Punisher MAX series. Any recommendations?

ok, so I'm a casual (at best) comic fan and I just finished reading Welcome Back, Frank and I got to day, I loved it. I found it really fun to read. So on that note, I'm trying to decide what to pick up next. I want to get some Punisher stuff, so I was thinking I would either get Army of One (which I think is VOL 2 in the series) or I was thinking about starting up on the Punisher MAX series. Any recommendations?

Come to my house my friend. I'll fix you up.

The Marvel MAX Punisher stuff is really entertaining. Ennis also did a miniseries that readily available called Born, which deals with Castle's last mission in Vietnam which is really a five star comic that everyone should read.

The current Punisher War Journal series is really fun as far as putting the Punisher in with other Marvel characters. Fraction's writing is really good, as far as making Punisher out to be a murderous psycho but with a somewhat twisted sense of humor. Olivetti's art is great, and the fill-in issue that Deodato did is one of my favorite single issue stories in a long time.

you at work or using the "stolen" internet again?

Seeing that I posted it between the hours of 5 and 12 PM I was at work. What a great employee... Anyways yeah I'll hook you up, I have the first 3 issues of the new Punisher War Journal I can set you up with those at first.

Seeing that I posted it between the hours of 5 and 12 PM I was at work. What a great employee... Anyways yeah I'll hook you up, I have the first 3 issues of the new Punisher War Journal I can set you up with those at first.

sounds good sir. I'll be by sometime this week

Just finally went through my collection of comics, the local guy had everything for a dollar.

Animal Man: It was good, but Morrison just should've written an autobiography . @5 and #26 were incredibly poignant, but you get the feeling either he's too far gone, or just is a crazy man.

Well, I just got a ton of comics. Sort of a second moving out, I found a couple of gems:

Spectacular Spider-Man 200: I hate this artist, whomever he is. He did the infamous Peter Parker "I'm not a clone!" Bitch-smack. His angry faces are comical.... (oh shit) His angry faces suck. And he draws 90% angry faces. This is a great story though, Where once, the redemption cliche rules.

Well hell, Harry'll probably be back because of the new movie.

Amazing Spider-Man #400. God this is so good, and so sad and great. So, so great. An incredible tribute to one of the most enduring realtionships in comics. It honestly made me weepy.

LET'S FUCK IT UP!

Stuff I picked up this week:

Marvel Civil War: The Initiative - A $5 book with lots of mini "teaser" stories to get you to buy Mighty Avengers and Omega Flight. Pretty art. Good enough writing. And the surviving Alpha Flight member revealed!

Army of Darkness Vs. Marvel Zombies #1 - Fun 1990's esque pop book. Ash is written in a little strangely at times.

Uncanny X-Men #484 (part 10 of 12 of Shiar storyline) - the all-"Action" issue they've needed. Very good arc.

Friendly Nieghborhood Spidey #17-18 - Odd Sandman/Uncle Ben storyline. Avoid.

Cap #25 (had to go to 2 stores to find this...) - AWESOME book. I haven't bought Iron Man or Cap since 2002, and Iron Man #15 was awesome, as was this.

Thunderbolts #110-112 are awesome stories, the new direction is really cool, the villains/kinda-villains are fleshed out well, and the cover-ups and bullshit "attacks" they pin on heroes that they hunt down are pretty sick and devious. Read these issue.

Has Ultimates 2, or the Ultimate Clone Wars been conluded, or at least continued?

It takes me a bit to get to my local comic place, and lately, I just snatched up some 52's and Cicil War 7 and went on my way.

They are getting Slooow in the Ultimate Universe, and really, I think that's a lot of what people were interested in. I mean, for two years I just told my local guy: subscribe to anything ultimate, and I'll pick it up. Nowm that was months ago, but still.