TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Activision/Vivendi merger leaves titles without publisher

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195113.html?...estnews;title;1

Earlier today, Activision Publishing announced a streamlining of its Vivendi Games operations, saying it would be bringing into the fold five of that company's franchises: Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Ice Age, Prototype, and one unannounced game.

An Activision representative later confirmed for GameSpot that those would be the only Vivendi Games franchises coming out of the publisher. That leaves a number of high-profile projects in limbo, including Double Fine Productions' Brutal Legend, as well as Wet, Ghostbusters, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, World at Conflict: Soviet Assault, 50 Cent Blood on the Sand, Zombie Wranglers, Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, as well as several Xbox Live Arcade titles.

This isn't quite cancellation, but right now Activision could be sitting on them, other publishers may jump on them, or they could just not get released (some may be unfinished, like I think Wet is). GB was basically done, though, and should have been a no-brainer hit.

However, it looks like the suits have spoken, and we're getting no-risk rehashed crap that stopped being good years ago, and somehow Prototype (thank goodness for that at least).

Guest Smues

Vivendi can no longer rape the Leisure Suit Larry franchise? Oh god no whatever will we do????

Good that they at least are keeping Prototype in the fold. I'll be pretty shocked if they let Ghostbusters out of their hands and I'm going to be a bit disappointed if Brutal Legend doesn't get picked up.

Vivendi can no longer rape the Leisure Suit Larry franchise? Oh god no whatever will we do????

You're too busy staring at the half-dead tree to see the forest is burning down. :P

Tim Schaffer is apparently looking for another publisher of Brutal Legend anyway, so this may be a mutual parting of ways on that project, at least.

WTF is Zombie Wranglers?

XBLA game: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/869/869820p1.html

All I remember about Ghostbusters is it still needed polished. Now I fear they will just release it as it is, piss a possible MAJOR video gaming franchise and an actual GOOD movie game down their leg and basically ruin one of the releases I was looking forward too.

Hoping they aren't that stupid but considering the games they let fall and the ones they saved, I'm worried thats what the idiotic suits will do.

Well, even if they DO indeed do that, and the Ghostbusters game winds up being shit....then it's just right in line with the older GB games.