TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Netgear Wireless Router Issues

I have a Netgear Wireless Router, the Model # is WGR614. I need to open 3 ports on the router so I can use Xbox Live correctly, however I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried calling Netgear for help, however my warrenty is over and they want me to buy another one just for customer support and I really don't want to spend 40 dollars for a question to be answered in 5 minutes.

Can anyone give me help with this? The three ports I have to open are UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCT 3074.

Shit I am having router issues with my Linksys WTR45G or whatever the fuck it's called.

I have it rigged enough to where the internet works and the PS3 works online, however I think the main input(where my SBC DSL is supposed be plugged in) is fried or something because if I plug it in there(where its supposed to be) no internet connection. However if i incorrectly plug it into one of the numbered slots(meant for devices such as PS3, wii, whatever else) it works fine.

I have tried uninstalling, re-installing, resetting the router a hundred times, but the software never acknowledges an internet connection even though I am using the internet just fine.

When I first got this router last winter, everything worked fine the way it was supposed to. Then one day the network randomly went down, and ever since then I have to have it rigged the way I explained above, or it won't work.

I think when I have some extra cash I am just going to buy another router and try all over again.

I have a Netgear Wireless Router, the Model # is WGR614. I need to open 3 ports on the router so I can use Xbox Live correctly, however I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried calling Netgear for help, however my warrenty is over and they want me to buy another one just for customer support and I really don't want to spend 40 dollars for a question to be answered in 5 minutes.

Can anyone give me help with this? The three ports I have to open are UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCT 3074.

Have you tried logging in by typing http://192.168.1.1 in your browser?

I think the default login is ADMIN and PASSWORD.

Cowboy is correct, although I think with Netgear routers, try 192.168.0.1 if 1.1 does not work. The default username and password is indeed those.

Port Forward has tutorials for you.

Mike: I know the feeling about buying a whole new router. Netgear prices their extended warranty way to fucking high. It costs 65 bucks just to extend the warranty for 6 months. I honestly can go out and buy the same model router I have right now for 20 dollars less and get a brand new warranty for it. So I'm really thinking about just dumping this router in the trash and just going out and getting a new router altogether.

Cowboy and Thoth: The default website is actually routerlogin.com, which I have and gone to. After actually getting some help from a Netgear person (for free) and applying the Xbox's IP address to the router, we still didn't get anywhere. I even told the guy there are 3 ports I'm suppose to open up but he kinda just ignored that and had me do something competely different.

I'm tried that port forwarding website, however it asks me to put in a static IP in the browser address but I have no clue what that would be. I've even tried changing the regular IP so I can get the static IP but I think that failed. Unless Static IP = Routerlogin.com and I'm suppose to go though the website.

I think I'm just gonna hit up a closing Circuit City thats having a 30% off sale and get a new wireless router and go with a company that offers free tech/customer service.

Mike: I know the feeling about buying a whole new router. Netgear prices their extended warranty way to fucking high. It costs 65 bucks just to extend the warranty for 6 months. I honestly can go out and buy the same model router I have right now for 20 dollars less and get a brand new warranty for it. So I'm really thinking about just dumping this router in the trash and just going out and getting a new router altogether.

Cowboy and Thoth: The default website is actually routerlogin.com, which I have and gone to. After actually getting some help from a Netgear person (for free) and applying the Xbox's IP address to the router, we still didn't get anywhere. I even told the guy there are 3 ports I'm suppose to open up but he kinda just ignored that and had me do something competely different.

I'm tried that port forwarding website, however it asks me to put in a static IP in the browser address but I have no clue what that would be. I've even tried changing the regular IP so I can get the static IP but I think that failed. Unless Static IP = Routerlogin.com and I'm suppose to go though the website.

I think I'm just gonna hit up a closing Circuit City thats having a 30% off sale and get a new wireless router and go with a company that offers free tech/customer service.

If you want to port forward, you HAVE to set your computer up to connect using a static IP. No matter what router you get, you will HAVE to do this. Just follow the directions at portforward.com, it's actually not that hard to do. I would tell you what to do, but I'd just be repeating the information. When it comes to router setup, it truly is best to learn by doing. Trust me, I know it seems like a pain in the ass to do it, I know. But it's really worth it in the end.

And by the way, routerlogin.com is just netgear's website with a special DNS redirect if you have a Netgear router to 192.168.1.1 (or 0.1, what the fuck ever).

I guess now is as good a time as any to say that I have been, and still am, vocally against Netgear routers, as they have some kind of Peer-To-Peer firewall or some shit that redirects gaming packets into the abyss. I recommend Linksys.

At any rate, with proper UPnP (Universal Plug n Play) setup, you're supposed to be able to use the Xbox without port forwarding (but I port forward anyway in the hopes it keeps my NAT open).

Aside: Worst tech support ever was when Nintendo told me to forward all my ports on my router. I asked them to get someone on the phone who knew what they were talking about. They said this is what you had to do. I asked them why the Wii just didn't use one port, and they said that the Wii randomizes its port. If you take half of a computer networking class, you know this is a FUCKING LIE FUCK YOU NINTENDO. Incidentally, the problem was that Smash Brothers was fucked on their end. They fixed it later, and then denied anything was wrong.

Edit: If you are looking for free tech support from a router company, you will find none exist for phone support, and email support is spotty at best. You may get help for initial setup, but they will usually not do port forwarding over the phone (maybe by email). Seriously, portforward.com is the business.