TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Buzz

Sting's Final Year of 2009

I thought seeing as how it is now 2009, and it has been mentioned by Sting in several interviews over the last few years that he was retiring in the next few years, later narrowed down to being sometime in 2009 in a Sun UK interview, that it was time to start a Sting discussion. I'll post a little article I ran across on PWI below to help get the discussion going. Mainly I'm asking what would you like to see from Sting in 2009 if it is indeed his final year? If he's given a Ric Flair/Japanese style farewell tour, how would you like it to play out? What are some of your favorite Sting moments in TNA, WCW, or NWA? Lastly, would you be interested in a more comprehensive Sting dvd from TNA seeing as how he's been in the promotion a few years now, and if I'm correct the UWF and Memphis libraries are not owned by WWE so getting some early Sting matches would be possible.

STING

Worthy Of A Ric Flair Sendoff

Sting says 2009 will be his last year as an active wrestler. He doesn’t know the exact date he’ll retire, so TNA should start planning a farewell befitting “The Icon.” By sending off Sting the way WWE sent off Ric Flair, TNA will not only show Sting the respect he’s earned, it will serve its own best interests as well.

By Michael Moore

IMAGINE THE CRITISISM Vince McMahon and WWE would have invited had it not orchestrated the titanic farewell it gave to Ric Flair after he lost a “Career-Threatening” match to Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 24.

Fans, media, and probably several members of the WWE family itself would have panned McMahon and WWE for failing to honor perhaps the most celebrated wrestler in the sport’s history.

Of course, McMahon hasn’t grown WWE by cultivating a “Mr. Nice Guy” image. But to let Flair simply fade into oblivion would’ve cast Vince and his company in a very poor light.

Paying homage to the “Nature Boy” was good business, sure—after all, including bonus footage of Flair’s emotional retirement ceremony certainly didn’t hurt sales of Nature Boy Ric Flair: The Definitive Collection DVD—but it was also the right thing to do considering how much Flair had given to the sport through the years. Very rarely do “the right thing” and the best interests of a promotion intersect, but McMahon sensed the timing and, to his credit, seized the opportunity.

TNA will be given a similar opportunity in 2009. That’s because Sting recently told The Sun in the U.K. that he intends to retire at some point this year. And if any active wrestler deserves a sendoff on par with Ric Flair’s, it’s the current TNA World champion.

At this point in its development, it’s imperative that TNA inject as much pomp and ceremony into Sting’s retirement tour as WWE pumped into Flair’s.

Why?

First, Sting deserves it. His body of work, going back to his UWF days, speaks for itself. He may not have as many world titles on his resume as Flair has, but Sting’s NWA and WCW feuds with Flair, The Road Warriors, The Great Muta, Lex Luger, and Vader helped carry both promotions. Sting’s descent from the rafters in the late-’90s to battle the NWO helped revitalize the business and led to an era of unprecedented popularity. And through it all, Sting was able to cultivate a fresh and enigmatic character the fans truly embraced. He was also quite the cash cow for WCW, as black-and-white Sting masks flew from concession stands during the Monday Night Wars.

“Like him or not, Sting’s been a force in this business for a long time,” said Jeff Jarrett, a TNA minority owner. “I don’t care for this Main Event Mafia business, but TNA has become a better place because of him.”

Second, his fans deserve it. Those lucky enough to attend WM24 and Raw in Orlando last March witnessed history. They were afforded an opportunity to pay respect to Flair with their cheers and tears. Fans that have hung with “The Stinger” all these years should have the same opportunity. It could even be argued that Sting was a much more beloved figure than Flair. After all, the fans were willing to accept Flair as an occasional heel throughout the years, yet they invariably reject any attempts at turning Sting heel. “Even when we were in the Wolfpac together, I always got the heat,” noted Kevin Nash. “No matter what he did, the fans always gave ‘Stinger’ a pass. He’d come out of nowhere and crack somebody with a bat, the place would go nuts. I’d do it and get beer thrown at me.”

Third, seeing off Sting a lá Flair will benefit TNA. By publicly recognizing the contributions of a man who could have taken his clout, experience, and drawing power to WWE but came to TNA instead, the promotion boosts its image as a first-class, professional company that takes care of its own. That might prove enticing to other veterans whose name value could help TNA. It might also influence TNA’s homegrown talent to stick around longer.

As appropriate as it is for TNA to send Sting off in style, it is doubly important that Sting’s swansong is handled properly. Much like WWE did with Flair, TNA should feature a Sting “farewell tour” during which his impending retirement is heavily promoted. This would serve two purposes: One, fans would turn out in bigger numbers for one last glimpse of a wrestling icon. And two: Knowing the end is near, Sting would certainly want to go out on a strong note, thus he’d raise his own in-ring game and help elevate those of his opponents. Raising the quality of wrestling in TNA to an even higher level would be a very fitting legacy for Sting indeed.

For the time being, though, Sting, as TNA World champion and Main Event Mafia member, has plenty of work ahead of him. Challenges from the likes of A.J. Styles and Samoa Joe are enough to keep him focused physically and mentally. Given his excellent conditioning, Sting has a very good chance of going out on top. TNA has a very good opportunity to do the right thing. We can only hope it makes the most of the opportunity, because legends like Sting don’t come around very often.

Five Legendary Sting Matches

It’s one thing to appear in as many high-profile matches as Sting has throughout his career, it’s quite another to deliver as many classic performances in these matches. Here are “The Stinger’s” top five:

5. Vs. The Great Muta at The Great American Bash 1989. This match for the NWA TV title was fought at a breakneck pace. Sting put his speed and agility against Muta’s strong style and seemingly pinned Muta at 8:40. However, video replay showed Muta lifted his shoulder before the count of three. The title was held up due to the controversy.

4. Vs. Lord Steven Regal at The Great American Bash 1996. Excellent showmanship and technical wrestling from both men … then Sting clamped on the scorpion deathlock at 19:00, forcing Regal to tap a minute later.

3. Vs. Cactus Jack at Beach Blast 1992. Sting capped off 11:24 of falls-count-anywhere insanity by pinfall, after hitting Cactus with a clothesline off the top rope onto the entrance ramp.

2. Vs. Vader at SuperBrawl III 1993. In the rubber match between Sting and WCW World champion Vader, both men punished each other with the strap in a bout that was long on violence and drama, and short on science. Sting left with a raw back, Vader left with the victory … and a busted artery in his ear.

1. Vs. Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions 1988. This blockbuster 45-minute draw established Sting as a main-event babyface hero in the NWA. The up-and-coming greenhorn, Sting, gave the wily vet Flair all he can handle in a grueling three-quarter-hour chess match. An icon was born.

I want to say Lawler's involvement with the WWE means Vince has control of the Memphis library, especially the stuff from its days with the AWA (about the time Sting would be there), plus I know Vince controls the Mid-South/UWF library.

Thanks for the updates on the libraries, I just knew that there was a website a year or so ago selling UWF and Mid-South dvds, plus those two mid-south dvds that came out last year or so. Wouldn't surprise me if McMahon owned them., I'm sure he'll get ahold of St. Louis and Kansas City soon too if he doesn't already own them.

Thanks for the updates on the libraries, I just knew that there was a website a year or so ago selling UWF and Mid-South dvds, plus those two mid-south dvds that came out last year or so. Wouldn't surprise me if McMahon owned them., I'm sure he'll get ahold of St. Louis and Kansas City soon too if he doesn't already own them.

Last I read, I believe that Watts' ex-wife owns/controls the UWF footage.

You can order them here: http://www.universalwrestling.com/Merchant...;Store_Code=UWA .

Yeah those are the dvds I was referring to, the mid-south dvds I believe are called Heroes, Villians, Midgets and Giants of Mid-South or something to that extent. I guess it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to get footage if TNA ever did decide to do another Sting dvd, which is probably doubtful anyway.

I think the possibility of Sting having a run in WWE is open again now that they're trying to be family-friendly again. Even though they're way past their prime, I'd dig a Sting vs. Undertaker match.