TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

2009 Oscar prediction contest

Because awards shouldn't affect your enjoyment of a film or your appreciation of an actor's work. If you liked Heath Ledger's performance, the validation of his performance via winning Best Supporting Actor isn't going to make you like it any more than you already did, nor should it. There are actors I like and actors I don't like so much, but I don't get bent out of shape from what I may perceive to be undeserved lauding or snubbing.

Why can't people be happy when an actor that they like wins the biggest acting award out there? It's only natural to root for actors that you like, and feel good when they win.

The emotional investment displayed in the outcomes of these award shows has been completely out of proportion to their importance since the nominees were announced and everyone was yelling "FUCK THE WEINSTEINS"

The Weinsteins do suck.

I don't grasp this assertion that I "didn't make any points." I was under the impression that we're all old salts at this here board and understand that discussion topics can be and often are introduced in more nuanced ways than "I have grievances to air! Grievance the first...", and so on. Snuffbox is admittedly the master at this. At least some people didn't need it spelled out.

Again, it's more that you only seem to come into this folder to post something that makes you come off like an asshole.

Because awards shouldn't affect your enjoyment of a film or your appreciation of an actor's work. If you liked Heath Ledger's performance, the validation of his performance via winning Best Supporting Actor isn't going to make you like it any more than you already did, nor should it. There are actors I like and actors I don't like so much, but I don't get bent out of shape from what I may perceive to be undeserved lauding or snubbing. It doesn't matter. The emotional investment displayed in the outcomes of these award shows has been completely out of proportion to their importance since the nominees were announced and everyone was yelling "FUCK THE WEINSTEINS" and "I'M BOYCOTTING THIS." Fine. Boycott it. Nobody needs to watch the Oscars, really. I had a hockey game on.

I don't grasp this assertion that I "didn't make any points." I was under the impression that we're all old salts at this here board and understand that discussion topics can be and often are introduced in more nuanced ways than "I have grievances to air! Grievance the first...", and so on. Snuffbox is admittedly the master at this. At least some people didn't need it spelled out.

I would say his one line about Ledger isn't comparable to all the others in the thread getting pissed over Rourke losing. The award is a symbol of achievement, even if in my personal opinion it doesn't carry the credibility that I used to give it back when I was younger and more naive about film in general. It honours a person's performance, and people will naturally want to see the actor that they thought gave the best one to take the award. I was upset (not in a "the room is spinning" kind of way) that Rourke lost, because I felt he deserved it the most out of all the nominees, and I think it has many practical applications for him too, at least in terms of getting him future work. I honestly believe that without the award he won't get as many roles as he would have with it.

I agree that it shouldn't affect how much you like the actor or their work, but I do think that the Oscar is a nice validation for it. It won't make me enjoy it any more or less, but it's a nice feather in their cap, which is what an award is supposed to be. It doesn't really mean anything, but it's a nice little thing to have, a way to show the world that you were the best in the eyes of the most esteemed judges on the subject. Heath Ledger himself talked about how it was all bullshit, but as insecure people we all like to have a little token of achievement.

What's the difference between this, and a sport team winning a trophy? Either way it's just saying "They were the best at whatever this year".

Come on, people get more emotionally invested in who wins the WWE title, which is even more meaningless than an oscar.

weird things are happening to the oscars. i could totally ignore them till last year, when they let a completely un-prestige picture-like movie win & which was one of my favorite movies of that year. and they did the same thing this year. are they trying to make me start caring, only to hurt me later?

i love the fact that 2 bad-ass 90s directors got to compete with each other (danny boyle & david fincher). i love that david fincher tried his hardest to make an acceptably prestige picture that had "year-end award-worthy movie" written all over it in excecutives' cum, and danny boyle beat him just by doing exactly the kind of thing he felt like doing.

and i love the fact that 'la maison en petits cubes' beat pixar in the "best animated short" category. awesome little movie that almost made me cry.

weird things are happening to the oscars. i could totally ignore them till last year, when they let a completely un-prestige picture-like movie win & which was one of my favorite movies of that year. and they did the same thing this year. are they trying to make me start caring, only to hurt me later?

Don't forget that The Departed won two years ago. I think they're trying real hard to atone for giving in to Crash in '05.