TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest glennsoe

Bret Hart pays homage to Chris Benoit and WWE

Guest glennsoe

In Bret Hart's weekly column in the Calgary Sun, he talks about the first time he met Chris Benoit, which is the first time Chris got to meet his hero, The Dynamite Kid. Hart talks briefly about a conversation he had with Benoit a few days ago when Chris finally returned a message from Bret left the night after Mania to congratulate him. Bret really came off as a big Benoit fan and then went on to plug the WWE Event coming to Calgary. "I hope when the WWE returns to Calgary April 19 fans will all turn out to honour Benoit, the new world champion and a true Canadian hero.

Ill: What did APO say about the all caps? Get a clue.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I give EVERYONE some sort of a chance but you really need to STOP POSTING.

Pit bull Benoit fulfils promise

By BRET HART -- For SLAM! Wrestling

I remember, in 1980 at the Edmonton Sales Pavilion, meeting a 12-year-old kid named Chris Benoit, who was just the biggest Dynamite Kid fan there ever was. And that's saying something because Dynamite had a lot of fans, deservedly so.

I happened to be standing there when Benoit met his hero for the first time. He stared down at his feet and blushed but it was easy to see how excited this young man was.

Every week he was there, studying every move we made in the ring. So when I bumped into Benoit when he was 18, it wasn't any big surprise to discover he'd filled out and joined my father's Stampede Wrestling promotion.

He earned his stripes in Europe and Japan and, amazingly enough, he built a reputation every bit as respected as his hero, The Dynamite Kid.

In those days, I was forever on the road in the WWF and I took every opportunity to recommend my brother Owen and Benoit to Vince McMahon.

In fact, when the time came for Dynamite to hang up his boots, he found Benoit and gave them to him, which is a huge honour among wrestlers.

Benoit began making a name for himself when he surfaced in WCW in 1993.

Upon my arrival to WCW in 1997, Benoit impressed me with his raw talent and soon enough I had the pleasure of battling with this well-muscled pit bull.

A few weeks ago, my heart soared watching Benoit defeat both Shawn Michaels and Triple H to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Immediately following his victory, I left him a congratulatory message. Just last night, Benoit had the chance to get back to me. In talking to him, I couldn't help but picture that same little kid from Leduc standing in the doorway of the dressing room in Edmonton, dreaming of one day being a wrestler.

The one thing that stood out long after we hung up the phone was his deep sense of gratitude for the old Stampede Wrestling days. I've always felt I never did enough for him, or at least not as much as I wanted to.

As he thanked me, I realized he should probably be thanking his mentor, The Dynamite Kid, who is back home in England confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Benoit said he'd love to thank Stu, Davey Boy Smith and Owen but I told him I'm sure they already know.

I hope when the WWE returns to Calgary April 19 fans will all turn out to honour Benoit, the new world champion and a true Canadian hero.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Pit bull Benoit fulfils promise

By BRET HART -- For SLAM! Wrestling

I remember, in 1980 at the Edmonton Sales Pavilion, meeting a 12-year-old kid named Chris Benoit, who was just the biggest Dynamite Kid fan there ever was. And that's saying something because Dynamite had a lot of fans, deservedly so.

I happened to be standing there when Benoit met his hero for the first time. He stared down at his feet and blushed but it was easy to see how excited this young man was.

Every week he was there, studying every move we made in the ring. So when I bumped into Benoit when he was 18, it wasn't any big surprise to discover he'd filled out and joined my father's Stampede Wrestling promotion.

He earned his stripes in Europe and Japan and, amazingly enough, he built a reputation every bit as respected as his hero, The Dynamite Kid.

In those days, I was forever on the road in the WWF and I took every opportunity to recommend my brother Owen and Benoit to Vince McMahon.

In fact, when the time came for Dynamite to hang up his boots, he found Benoit and gave them to him, which is a huge honour among wrestlers.

Benoit began making a name for himself when he surfaced in WCW in 1993.

Upon my arrival to WCW in 1997, Benoit impressed me with his raw talent and soon enough I had the pleasure of battling with this well-muscled pit bull.

A few weeks ago, my heart soared watching Benoit defeat both Shawn Michaels and Triple H to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Immediately following his victory, I left him a congratulatory message. Just last night, Benoit had the chance to get back to me. In talking to him, I couldn't help but picture that same little kid from Leduc standing in the doorway of the dressing room in Edmonton, dreaming of one day being a wrestler.

The one thing that stood out long after we hung up the phone was his deep sense of gratitude for the old Stampede Wrestling days. I've always felt I never did enough for him, or at least not as much as I wanted to.

As he thanked me, I realized he should probably be thanking his mentor, The Dynamite Kid, who is back home in England confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Benoit said he'd love to thank Stu, Davey Boy Smith and Owen but I told him I'm sure they already know.

I hope when the WWE returns to Calgary April 19 fans will all turn out to honour Benoit, the new world champion and a true Canadian hero.

Ah....this time in English.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Oh, and FUCK the WWE for not doing this story. Benoit and the Dynamite kid is one of the best stories you can find in professional wrestling and really enhances him as a wrestler, a character, and a person.

<----Obviously you know I am going to agree with you on that one.

Guest Dynamite Kido
dynamitebenoit.jpg

The Man and The Legend

I had no choice.....I HAD to steal this one......

Guest Choken One
Oh, and FUCK the WWE for not doing this story. Benoit and the Dynamite kid is one of the best stories you can find in professional wrestling and really enhances him as a wrestler, a character, and a person.

And they Own the Stampede Footage as well too boot..

Let's just hope Dynamite Gets attention on the Benoit DVD.

It would have been perfect in building Benoit up as champ - now it will be an after-thought to an uneventful title reign.

*Benoit DVD*

Benoit: I grew up watching a lot of the dynamite kid

*shows a 3 second Dynamite Kid at WM 3*

Dynamite kid: Yeah, I like Chris Benoit a lot.

Shane McMahon: When Benoit first came in, I said, MAN does that guy remind me of the Dynamite Kid. So I started to manage him...

*Shows 10 minute retrospective of the Shane McMahon/Chris Benoit alliance*

Benoit: Working with Shane was just great. The guy is just full of energy and is willing to give anything and everything to this business. Actually, when I first saw Shane and him do all these crazy moves, I said "this guy reminds me of my idol, the dynamite kid"

DK: Um. yeah.. shane mcmahon... good kid... um... wasn't this about Benoit?

Oh, and FUCK the WWE for not doing this story.  Benoit and the Dynamite kid is one of the best stories you can find in professional wrestling and really enhances him as a wrestler, a character, and a person.

And they Own the Stampede Footage as well too boot..

Let's just hope Dynamite Gets attention on the Benoit DVD.

Only if Benoit gets to pick the matches out.

Guest Trivia247

oh stop with the fuck WWE crap its not like they are Responsible for reporting everyones Past.. jesus christ.

Stephanie: When Chris and I worked together in the fall of 2000, I really got that feel from him. This guy was the dynamite kid.

*The Stephanie kissing Blassie pic has Dynamites head photoshopped over Freddie*

*Steph cries*

I'll miss him so much!

Camera Man: Uh Steph, Dynamite Kid is not dead... just in a wheelchair...

Steph: .... Oh... *sniff*... well... what's this about shane?

oh stop with the fuck WWE crap its not like they are Responsible for reporting everyones Past.. jesus christ.

They are responsible for telling good stories, though, and as RRR said, they had a perfect one sitting in their lap.

I find it funny that Bret Hart, in 1 column with only using words, was able to (1) Put over Benoit, (2)Get across his (a) personality, (3)Make me care, (4)Bring perspective, better than the WWE did in 8 weeks with a visual medium, and a wide, diverse, tape library that features many of Chris Benoits matches (as well as the dynamite kids.

Wait, did I say funny? I meant sad. But hey, it's not their responsibility to do all these things with their "world champion".

Guest Dynamite Kido

or responsible for having good wrestling, storylines, or anything else of quality I guess.......

It's a shame that rascal Chris Benoit is standing in the way of the WWE's Rise to Crapdom by still putting on good matches and carrying the entire roster on his back.

*Shakes fist*

Guest Trivia247

then stop watching it and stop commenting about it and watch whatever you wanna watch

Maybe the WWE had let the golden goose of a story go by or not. Its not like the WWE ever accredited anything outside of the WWE. They could mention Dynamite Kid more during any of Benoit's Matches Explaining Dynamite was his idol, and point out what moves was a vintage Dynamite Kid's.

Guest Trivia247
In a similar light, stop reading my posts, reply to them, and read whatever you like to read.

However, I don't believe in that, so I won't stop posting.  You, it seems, do.  So how about you practice what you preach?

Nevah!

And I don't preach, its the Fuck WWE for anything under the sun you don't like is just getting old. it was frustration that made that pointless post of you stop watching. because you won't stop. hehe Neither will I or anyone else on here. its like people who hated Howard Stern, they hate him but they keep listening to him (Until finally they canceled his show recently)

Guest Dynamite Kido
then stop watching it and stop commenting about it and watch whatever you wanna watch

Maybe the WWE had let the golden goose of a story go by or not. Its not like the WWE ever accredited anything outside of the WWE. They could mention Dynamite Kid more during any of Benoit's Matches Explaining Dynamite was his idol, and point out what moves was a vintage Dynamite Kid's.

That's right, if you care about something and disagree with it......DON'T COMMENT ON IT......AND STOP WATCHING AT ONCE......

p.s. - my sig owns you

Guest Trivia247

That's right, if you care about something and disagree with it......DON'T COMMENT ON IT......AND STOP WATCHING AT ONCE......

p.s. - my sig owns you

Fuck WWE doesn't sound like caring.

Sounds more like the same tired, Oh Lets say Fuck WWE thats cool bullshit. How about besides that you explain why the WWE needs the said fucking.

RRR did perfectly and I respect that. You seem to be jumping on a bandwagon.

Guest Trivia247
I don't stop because they don't stop (or in this case, start). It's not my fault that they don't make it easier for themselves (or us, for that matter).

so therefore here we all are. Wishing the product was better but still loyal to the product regardless of how crappy it is lately.

Despite what most might say about the Smart community...we are still Optimists

Guest PowerPB13

If there's one thing I've learned from being online, it's that there's something wrong with EVERYTHING WWE does if you juuuuust think about it long and hard enough.

Guest Choken One

exactly...We all wanted Benoit to win the gold at WMXX...and we got it...took us 20 seconds to complain

"THE BUILD WAS BAD!"

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BROCK/BENOIT!"

"BENOIT WORE BLUE! SHOULD HAVE WORN RED!"

exactly...We all wanted Benoit to win the gold at WMXX...and we got it...took us 20 seconds to complain

"THE BUILD WAS BAD!"

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BROCK/BENOIT!"

"BENOIT WORE BLUE! SHOULD HAVE WORN RED!"

The build was bad.

Brock/Benoit was what had been built up, then Benoit just quit and went to play second fiddle to the HBK/HHH feud.

Red > blue.