TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheSmarkzone

WWE shouldn't listen to non-paying fans

Guest bob_barron

$35 is a lot of money Smarkzone. What made me upset is when they raised the price. In 2000 when they're putting on great fucking PPVs month after month I could understand.

But Backlash was just depressing, Judgement Day was okay as was KOTR. They're just not putting on the blowaway great PPVs like they used to

Guest massivHEDtrauma
I'm not talking about the fans who would pay, but are turned off by the product (Although, once again, how much can you really know about the product without watching the pay-per-views?).

I'm talking about the cheap bastards who will not pay Vince McMahon a dime no matter what, because they expect everything in life to be free. You know, the people who trade tapes because they're so cheap that they won't shell out $15 for a DVD.

Y'know, you really should have clarified that to begin with. It would have saved a lot of trouble.

Guest TheSmarkzone

I think the pay-per-views should cost $19.99-$24.99, personally. I think they could make more money with a reduced price. It's better to have 500,000 people buy it for $24.99 than it is for 100,000 people to buy it for $34.99.

Guest Downhome
(Although, once again, how much can you really know about the product without watching the pay-per-views?).

I know what I see on TV, and if buildup, meaning, and purpose of the PPV taking place does not interest me enough or intrigue me I am not paying one cent for it. The point is to make the TV interesting enough in order to get people to get the payoffs at the PPV's. Like I said before, in order to do this they must market towards those who are not paying.

A PPV doesn't prompt anyone to order a PPV, the TV leading to it does, and as far as I'm concerned, buildup hasn't been all that great lately.

I'm talking about the cheap bastards who will not pay Vince McMahon a dime no matter what, because they expect everything in life to be free. You know, the people who trade tapes because they're so cheap that they won't shell out $15 for a DVD.

Yeah, it sucks that some people are like that but you shouldn't just go around blasting people for it. Hell, most BUSINESS'S are like that. It's many peoples nature to try to get by the easy way, and it is not limited to just those ordering PPV. It's everyone from the dirt poor folk, to the richest of the rich.

Guest Big McLargeHuge
(Although, once again, how much can you really know about the product without watching the pay-per-views?).

Well, I've been watching the the major (and sometimes small) tv shows for the past 4 weeks. I feel I know a little. Missing one show isn't gonna kill the entire product. Besides, PPVs these days aren't 'must see'. SS and WM are the only ones that demand purchase.

Guest bob_barron

I agree with you smatkzone- I think if they lowered the price and plugged it heavily and starting putting on better PPVs- they may start getting better buyrates

Guest TheSmarkzone

I've only felt that I didn't get my money's worth from a WWE pay-per-view a handful of times. Even the lackluster pay-per-views are fun to bash with your friends. Survivor Series '98, for example, was probably a waste of my $29.99.

I do draw the line at some point, though. When WCW went into ultra-celebrity mode in the summer of 1998, I stopped ordering the pay-per-views. Bash at the Beach '98 was the last WCW pay-per-view that I ordered. After that, it was at a friend's house or nothing at all. I'm not paying $29.99 to see Karl Malone or Jay Leno main event a pay-per-view. Sorry.

Guest chirs3

This all runs back to the booking of fueds - people were buyers are not anymore, because they're not interested in whether Team Canada can wrestle the tag titles away from Team USA and a Canadian. They don't care about Taker/Rock/Angle, which has had thorougly mediocre buildup.

The WWE needs to start making people care - the only match I'm REALLY interested in is RVD/Brock, and we already know how that'll turn out anyway.

Guest TheSmarkzone

Who cares who wins and who loses? Don't you want to see the match? Don't you want to see the story that they tell in the ring? If all that mattered was who was jobbing, I would never watch WWE TV, I would just read the results.

Pro wrestling is an observer sport. It's meant to be watched, not read about or listened to on the radio.

Sometimes the feud sucks, but I am still DYING to see the actual match.

Guest TheHulkster
I'm gonna take a new stance...

I don't think that the WWE should listen to the non-paying fans. The WWE is a business, and the goal of a business is to make money. I don't see how you can be a real fan if you don't buy the pay-per-views. The pay-per-views are where the storylines culminate, and it's where you get the best actual *wrestling*. If you're not shelling out some of your money to let the WWE entertain you once a month, I don't think you're a true fan. Why should the WWE listen to you if they aren't going to make any money off of you? Yeah, they're here to entertain us, but only so that they can make money off of us. This is not professional sports, this is entertainment.

Not to sound pompous, but I think that my opinion matters more than the Internet smart marks who never support the WWE...buying the pay-per-views, buying the merchandise, whatever. I mean, I'm a *paying* fan, I've actually invested money in the product. The people who just watch the free TV haven't invested anything in the product. And a lot of them are just there to bitch.

Hell, I try to sit ringside for all of the Big 5 pay-per-views, I attend *every* live WWE event that comes within a 200-400 mile radius, I order every single pay-per-view, I have a closet full of Shopzone merchandise, and I even own some stock in the company.

If anyone should be listened to, it's people like me.

As far as the rest of you go, I don't blame Vince for laughing you off. It's no loss to him, you don't contribute anything to his business anyway.

Wow....

Just when I thought I had seen the worst of the ignorance on the net, this takes the cake. Ok lets start:

"I don't think that the WWE should listen to the non-paying fans. The WWE is a business, and the goal of a business is to make money. "

This sentence totally contradicts itself. Business is at a low point right now. The amount of paying fans is significantly lower than it was 2 years ago. So WWE should only listen to the people who will buy pay per views and go to events regardless if they are bad or not? So they should remain putting out a product that is gradually dwindling in revenue because the lower amount of remaining fans will shut up and pay for it anyway? Thats just bad business. I love WWE, but there are reasons many people have stopped going to shows and stopped buying pay per views. The only way to reverse that trend is to get people who have stopped paying for what they put out to actually shell out the money and pay for their stuff. How do we do this you ask? Well gee, listening to them, and giving them what they want could be a way to do it. I think even the biggest mark could tell you that.

"I don't see how you can be a real fan if you don't buy the pay-per-views"

$35 is a pretty big investment for a 3 hour show. It's called being a smart consumer. It has nothing to do with the fact that you are a real fan or not. If a show isn't worth $35, people won't pay $35.

"Why should the WWE listen to you if they aren't going to make any money off of you?"

It just keeps getting worse (lol). Because if they put out a quality show that appealed to these people who don't pay for their pay per views, these people would buy the pay per views. Common sense will tell you that.

"Not to sound pompous, but I think that my opinion matters more than the Internet smart marks who never support the WWE...buying the pay-per-views, buying the merchandise, whatever. I mean, I'm a *paying* fan, I've actually invested money in the product. The people who just watch the free TV haven't invested anything in the product"

Your opinion doesn't matter more than anyone here. We are all fans of the product obviously. We have all invested our time into WWE productions. We don't deserve a say as much as you do because some people don't want to flush $35 down the toilet each month? I don't like flaming, but that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard on this board. Are you an adult? Do you have to pay rent every month? Do you have to pay your telephone bill or your phone bill? Or car insurance? Or buy groceries each week? I'm sorry, but if losing a roof over my head or my car or my phone connection just so I can show WWE that I am a real wrestling fan by buying a pay per view, that frankly isn't worth the money, then I guess the 20+ years i've been watching the W/WWF/E have been a waste of time because they shouldn't listen to me anyway. Is that right?

"Hell, I try to sit ringside for all of the Big 5 pay-per-views, I attend *every* live WWE event that comes within a 200-400 mile radius, I order every single pay-per-view, I have a closet full of Shopzone merchandise, and I even own some stock in the company.

If anyone should be listened to, it's people like me."

Just for fact that you allegedy bought stock in WWE, they shouldn't listen to you.

WHy the hell would someone want to buy stock in the WWE? Thats a really bad investment. This week was a 52 week low.

"As far as the rest of you go, I don't blame Vince for laughing you off. It's no loss to him, you don't contribute anything to his business anyway."

I'm sure if Vince ever read this, we wouldn't be the ones he would be laughing at.

I don't like being negative, but this is the most moronic thread I have ever read and I hope they ban you. Secondly, I think you're full of shit on seeing every show and owning stock because nobody, no matter how much they love the WWE, would waste money like that unless they were completely retarded. That guy who owns every piece of hogan merchandise that they showed on confidential would laugh at you if he read this post. The only reason I can see for you to have created this post if for flame baiting. If there is any justice in this world, none of us will ever see you again after you are banned.

Guest bob_barron

Who wins and loses doesn't play a big part with me.

At WM I got really hardcore into the Taker-Flair match and was going crazy for Flair.

If I buy Vengeance and Booker loses- I'm going to be very pissed and extremely upset

Guest TheHulkster

I'm sorry if I came off as a dick, but stupid shit like this doesn't belong here in the WWE folder or anywhere on any message board.

Guest papacita

Not much I can add to this thread, but I can see where Smarkzone is coming from to a certain extent. The WWE should care about pleasing their core audience, the people that actually pay to see PPV's no matter how bad they are, the people who watch week after week no matter how bad things get, and the people who are actually interested in the storylines. They should be doing everything they can to keep those fans entertained rather than using cheap ratings-grabbing tactics for the sole purpose of bringing in casual fans who really don't give a damn about the product in the 1st place. However, I don't agree that putting out $35 a month for PPV's makes you any more of a fan than anyone else. $35 isn't a lot of money to me either (but then again, my mom pays the satelite bill, so maybe when I start ordering them myself, my opinion will change), but still, what's the use in paying the money for something you're not interested in? It's the WWE's job to put out a product that people will actually willing to put out that kind of money for on a monthly basis, and when they're not, then like others have said, the WWE should listen to these non-paying fans in order to find out what they can improve on in order to get them to pay.

And BTW, I really don't think the price of the PPVs are the problem, but they just have too many. I remember back in the day, I actually used to get excited whenever I ordered a PPV. It was something special then, but now, there are so many PPVs that it feels like just any old Raw or SmackDown.

Guest The Mighty Damaramu

"Everyone is equal"

That is communism my friend...... lol

Anyways I'm glad this insanity has finally ended and Mr. Moneybags was sent back to the meat factory.