Guest Hogan Made Wrestling Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Rock: 3 ***ish+ matches in 5 days. HHH: 3 ***ish+ matches in over 7 months.
Guest Zero_Cool Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 HMW brings up a good point..he just does.. Anyway, remember when The Rock was the only man to actually use a spinebuster?
Guest evenflowDDT Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 You can add me to the list of people who dislike The Rock and especially The People's Elbow. By the way, not to be a cynic, but I believe ANYONE can put on a ***+ match against Kurt Angle or Eddie Guerrero. The Rock was CARRIED to those "great matches", he wasn't responsible for them. Plus, his promos have gone totally downhill. I mean tonight's wasn't even boring, it was pretty disgusting. The only thing worse than a tired, unfunny joke is a tired, unfunny, distasteful, semi-racist joke. Nice job Rocky...
Guest evenflowDDT Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Also, does The Rock put anyone over clean as champion? Because if so, I've never seen it, tonight was a prime example of that. Rocky would "get his job back" next week, no doubt about that. Not only does he win a title he doesn't deserve, he doesn't job a NON-TITLE match. If that was anyone else, particularly one with "backstage rumors" attached, there are some on this board who'd be all over that. Why does Rocky get off clean?
Guest M Nyland Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 cause Rocky is the internet darling right now....I guess... but I could be wrong with the way this thread has been Rock-bashing
Guest TheBlurricane Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 That's true they could have easily had Brock Lesnar cost Rock the match to set up a title match with Rock/Eddy cause I wouldn't mind seeing them two again. So why didn't Rock let Eddie atleast have that one?
Guest The Mighty Damaramu Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 "It's not like Beniot's prior finisher was that "Beliveable". Idiot slaming his head on the other's guy's head..It's a falling headbutt. " Man did Benoit run over your dog or something? Anytime anyone says anything about another wrestler you jump in and defend them by bashing Benoit. Seriously you bring up Benoit more than anyone else on this board. And why does Rock get off clean? Because we know he doesn't play politics. He talks about it in an interview where he says he does pretty much whatever the bookers tell him to. I believe it was the one where he said Austin and Jericho were his only friends. He said wrestling was a business. Unlike HHH who defends himself in every interview by saying he has to protect his spot. Wow......Rock is secure in his spot.....HHH isn't....that just hit me.....and 10 bucks that HHH is wildly jealous of The Rock.
Guest TheBlurricane Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 I'm slowly starting to like the Rock again cause tonight he proved he can adapt his style, but he still has that People's Elbow that will annoy the crap out of me. I know the marks liked it, but personally it ruined the end of that match for me.
Guest M Nyland Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 what finishers does the Rock have: 1) People's Elbow 2) Rock Bottom 3) Sharpshooter (?) I mean....should he just use the Rock Bottom every time or come up with something new?
Guest The Mighty Damaramu Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Eh....the People's elbow will always be there. But it's more of a cherry on top. Because he always does it after he puts them down with a credible move. It's almost like the ARROGANT~! cover. It's not like he clothesline you and hits it. They're usually down with a credible move before he hits it.
Guest evenflowDDT Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 I believe it was the one where he said Austin and Jericho were his only friends. OK, so if The Rock doesn't have any friends backstage, it's evidence that he "doesn't play backstage politics", but if Shawn Stasiak doesn't have any friends backstage, it's because he's "allegedly paranoid and a mild schizophrenic who keeps to himself"? DOUBLE STANDARD! In all honesty though, for someone who doesn't play backstage politics, The Rock sure does put over very few guys. In fact, the only guy I can think of that I've ever seen him put over is Jericho, and that was probably just because he's admittedly his friend. And yes, Dwayne Johnson ran over my dog. Deal with it
Guest The Mighty Damaramu Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 No there's no double standard. I believe Rock when he says he doesn't play backstage politics. And speaking of HHH and politics.....has he ever denyed that? NOPE! And who said anything about Shawn Stasiak? I figured he wouldn't have any friends b/c of the way his eyes bug out. It would freak me out.
Guest TheBlurricane Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 People the Rock's put over since...let's say 98 since that's when he started getting good Shamrock (KOTR 98) HHH (more than once) Foley (more than once) Angle (more than once) Jericho (more than once) Austin (ditto) Taker (ditto) Booker (during the build up to SummerSlam 01 he put over Booker on RAW a few times) I'm sure I've left out TV losses and other matches I can't remember. He's good at making his opponent look credible in the build up of his matches.
Guest The Mighty Damaramu Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Hmm...and who has HHH put over since he made it to the main event? Rocky(during there back and forth run) UT(WM) and umm.....Jeri....no wait...Angle.....no not him.....Aust......no he didn't even put him over.
Guest evenflowDDT Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Booker (during the build up to SummerSlam 01 he put over Booker on RAW a few times) Yea, but when it counted, at SummerSlam, he creamed Booker, and then made him look like a fool by beating him again the following month in a handicap match. Booker never recovered until recently. I'm good at admitting my shortcomings, so I'll admit I'm not totally knowledgable in any of the other major feuds to comment, but wasn't Mankind's title win for only 24 hours? Sure, he's better than HHH, but that's not saying much.
Guest Kid Kablam Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Also, does The Rock put anyone over clean as champion? Because if so, I've never seen it, tonight was a prime example of that. Rocky would "get his job back" next week, no doubt about that. Not only does he win a title he doesn't deserve, he doesn't job a NON-TITLE match. If that was anyone else, particularly one with "backstage rumors" attached, there are some on this board who'd be all over that. Why does Rocky get off clean? Personally I've never had a problem with the Rock because he always seemed ready to put over somebody. I mean, he was the first person I remember to make Angle look like more than just a whiner. He made William Regal look good for chrissake. Does he do clean jobs on a regular basis? No, but he allows others to share the spotlight. And in the Helmsley era, that's all you can ask for.
Guest Big McLargeHuge Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Micks' first title win? That was almost a month. He regained it a week later and dropped it about 3 weeks after that (this during his famed series with the Rock). He also held it for a brief 24 hours after SS 99. He was defeated...by HHH. I was just pissed that Eddie didn't beat the Rock clean after that swank~! Rock Bottom reversal. Other than that, Rock is gold in my book.
Guest Razor Roman Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 The thing I notice about the people's elbow is that every time he goes for it, I think "ok... here comes the run-in"... Since he hast to bounce off of both sides of the ring to land it, it's perfect for someone to grab his ankle or whack him with a chair... and I thought Benoit was going to run down and do that... or maybe whack Eddie so that he would win via DQ and get a shot at the Rock's belt next week.
Guest myburninghammer Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Wow, you go to bed and the next morning there's 50 fiery responses... You really can't blame the Rock for the butchering of Booker T--or any non-WWF raised star--last summer, because they set out to bury all the WCW guys anyway, not to mention Book was already playing second fiddle to Shane-o. And as dumb as the elbow is, and as dumb as the setup was last night for the match, did anyone really think Guerrero was going over? I would have liked it, sure, but you honestly can't expect for Rock to be losing his first night as champion again (especially if he's dropping it in a month) even if it is Guerrero; people want to see him win, and they booked him to logically do so. If you're still disgruntled, think about what Taker would have done in the same situation...
Guest Ripper Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Add Test, Christian, and RVD as guys that got wins over Rock. The Peoples Elbow is set up by the Spinebuster, a credible finisher according to Batista and Holly, so that almost negates that. Plus, is it any less credible than the Angle slam(all the impact of a german suplex) the diving headbutt(if it knocks out the other guy, wouldn't it knock out Beniot) Tajaris head kick(i mean, he spends 5 minutes kicking the guy in the head then all of a sudden this one is the finish) the Leg Drop(yeah, I know) the Edgecution(Its a freaking DDT) and I could go on and on. You almost have to go to the Indy circuit to find a viable finisher these days.
Guest Hogan Made Wrestling Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Add the ax kick to that list. The guy gets hit with some simple transition move, and he has to stay crouched over like an idiot while Booker T does that "raise the roof" thing to play to the crowd, bounces off the ropes, and drops a leg over the guys back. And how is that different to Hogan's legdrop again?
Guest Brian Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Mainly because Booker's leg actually swings through and he doesn't look like a crippled old man bouncing off the ropes.
Guest Hogan Made Wrestling Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 "Mainly because Booker's leg actually swings through" Makes almost no difference. It has more velocity at the start, but since the legdrop drops a further distance, gravity makes up the difference. If you actually measured the impact force it would be about the same. "and he doesn't look like a crippled old man bouncing off the ropes." Nah, he looks like a crippled middle-aged man bouncing off the ropes.
Guest myburninghammer Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Mark Henry's finishing move is a bearhug, so there's no point arguing over what we all know is ridiculous. Can't wait to see Heat so Goldust can pin someone with a powerslam...it's 1983 all over again.
Guest Fook_Hing_Ho Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Add Mark Henry, Rikishi, Al Snow, Big Show, and even the Bossman to the list of guys Rocky's done the job for.
Guest Prince Paul Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 The Rock is okay, I mean they shouldn't give him the title everytime he comes back for more than 20 days, but he can perform. But the elbow must go. At least have someone kick out of it like, "THAT's your finisher, man, HA" and then have him rock bottom them.
Guest TheyCallMeMark Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 By the way, not to be a cynic, but I believe ANYONE can put on a ***+ match against Kurt Angle or Eddie Guerrero. The Rock was CARRIED to those "great matches", he wasn't responsible for them. Well you'd be wrong. I don't think anyone could really argue that Angle/Hogan was better than Rock/Hogan (given, both the matches sucked) and Angle was completely unable to carry HHH (we'll soon see if Rock is, I would imagine). And Jericho has carried Cena to alot better matches than Angle did (Angles was maybe **3/4?). And to say the rock has throughout his career been carried is asinine, a guy doesn't just fall in to a ton of great matches... Sure a bad wrestler might be in a few but a bad wrestler isn't going to be in them over and over every night and on every PPV.
Guest SuperTonyJaymz Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 Guys...you do know Rocky doesnt go "Yeah so Im gonna win tonigt" the summerslam 01 match, the eddy match, if ya dont like the outcome, blame the writers And The Rock hasn't done the Poeples Elbow to finish off someone in a ong time...
Guest The Mountie Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 How can you suspend belief when the word 'Entertainment' is written on the ring apron? Join the revolution: WWE = World World Extreme: where the 'big three' live on.
Guest TheBlurricane Posted July 23, 2002 Report Posted July 23, 2002 And The Rock hasn't done the Poeples Elbow to finish off someone in a ong time... Yes last night was just soooooo long ago.
Recommended Posts
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now