TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RazorxEDGE

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Guest snowfan
Which was the greatest finish of all time.

absolutely....

The BEST North American match ever in my opinion.

Guest RazorxEDGE

To *truly* be impacted by the WrestleMania 13 finish, you had to:

1. Know Bret Hart's legacy

2. Know how lethal the Sharpshooter was

3. Follow the entire Bret/Austin feud

4. Watch the match live on pay-per-view

Of course, now it's been totally over-exposed and the original impact has been lost. Now all of the people who started watching in '98 are like, "Oh, that's the match where Austin got all bloody!"

*Sigh* <_<

Guest snowfan
To truly be impacted by the WrestleMania 13 finish, you had to:

am I the only one severely bothered by the Pebble's crapshooter???

Guest RazorxEDGE

Let's get back to Flair...somebody tell me WHY Flair/Steamboat is *****. Besides the psychology. I know about the psychology.

As far as the Scorpion King Deathlock, Rock is way too tall to pull it off and he doesn't even sit down on it. And what's with the facial expression? It looks like he's trying to pinch a loaf.

Guest permagrinning

"Flair is DONE, it’s time to take some serious time off."

Is this quote from SK why you're slamming flair? You even admitted that you need to watch a bit more stuff from his prime. This flair you're seeing today, even the one we've seen like five years ago is nowhere near the man, the myth, the legend. If you're going to judge his work rate and comment on his entire career then don't do it as the man is now, but at hsi peak

Guest permagrinning
Which was the greatest finish of all time.

and in that match, bret didn't make the sharp shooter, Austin bleeding like a pig and fighting like a mother made the shapr shooter

Guest RazorxEDGE
If you're going to judge his work rate and comment on his entire career then don't do it as the man is now, but at hsi peak

I'm commenting on the man today AND at his peak. I'm saying that he hasn't really changed in the past 30 years, and that his redundant Flair Formula doesn't hold up by today's standards.

I haven't seen *every* match he had in the 1980s, but I've certainly seen enough to judge him. And I've seen the entire Flair/Steamboat series.

So...please tell me why Flair/Steamboat, from 1989, was ***** and not **** 1/4.

Guest AM The Kid

I agree that Flair isn't the best wrestler ever in North America. In my mind he's not even in the top three. I've watched alot of his matches and granted-the Flair/Steamboat matches are absolute classics. But most of Flair's matches are cut and paste, chops, suplex, flops, figure four. Most of his matches bore me because of that, unlike with Bret, Dynamite, Owen, Benoit and Micheals where the matches kept you interested throughout and not just at the spots.

Guest RazorxEDGE
Steamboat begins working on Flair's arm, throwing a lot of armdrags. Flair had submitted to Ricky's double arm chicken wing in a prior match, which is why Steamboat is working on his arm. This is so awesome.

Like I said earlier, I don't think that this particular bit of psychology is anything to cream your pants over.

Guest Anglesault

I really think Rock needs to drop the Rock Lobster/Saladshooter/Suckshooter/SK Deathlock, or at the very least, call it something else because while I feel that Like all the greats, Bret is a lousy human being (Funny how all of the great wrestlers tend to be) his legacy shouldn't be pissed on.

Guest snowfan
I'm severely bothered by the Saladshooter/Scorpion King Deathlock. Quite frankly it pisses me off everytime he uses it cause it looks to me that he doesn't even care how crappy it looks.

HE SELLS THE DAMN MOVE!

God it felt good to get that off my chest.

Guest BionicRedneck

Right. So your not interested in the psychology of the match. Thats whats wrong with the majority of wrestling today.

Bret is a lousy human being? You must know him personally, right?

Guest permagrinning
To *truly* be impacted by the WrestleMania 13 finish, you had to:

Of course, now it's been totally over-exposed and the original impact has been lost. Now all of the people who started watching in '98 are like, "Oh, that's the match where Austin got all bloody!"

*Sigh* <_<

isn't that kinda like how you're taking flair out of his time and shining a light up his skirt. Careful, I hear he doesn't wear underwear very much.

Steamboat begins working on Flair's arm, throwing a lot of armdrags. Flair had submitted to Ricky's double arm chicken wing in a prior match, which is why Steamboat is working on his arm. This is so awesome.

Like I said earlier, I don't think that this particular bit of psychology is anything to cream your pants over.

It's about the little things like that, which are overlooked today. Now I'd have to watch the match itself, but I like the idea of continuity from one match to the next. 5* doesn't really mean pants creaming, because some 5* matches are better than others. It just means the match was done with high quality.

Guest RazorxEDGE

My Top 3 North American workers are:

1. Bret Hart

2. Shawn Michaels

3. Steve Austin

I consider those three guys to be Gods. I also consider Benoit, Owen, Dynamite, and even HHH to be better workers than Flair.

The only guy that is as overrated as Flair is Randy Savage.

Guest bob_barron

Triple H better then Ric Flair?????

Triple H had like one good year.

Flair has had many more. When HHH is Flair's age I'd like to see if he can walk let alone still have good matches

Guest RazorxEDGE

Bionic, I do care about the psychology. A lot. Read my initial post. I consider psychology to be an essential part of a match, but I don't believe that it's what makes a match great.

Point taken, bob, but at least HHH isn't as redundant as Flair.

Guest BionicRedneck

HHH, Michaels and Owen Hart are not in Flair's league, and I would like to see some evidence to back the claim up. On the strength of how many great matches Ric Flair had during his career he is pretty much head-and-shoulders above any American.

Guest Anglesault
Bret is a lousy human being? You must know him personally, right?

First of all, I think Bret should accept the majority of the blame for Montreal. What Vince and Shawn did wasn't right, but if Bret wasn't willing to job the belt when he was ordered to, well, shit happens.

On top of that, this man blames anyone else but himself for the problems in his life.

And the real kicker.

If I was in Austrailia cutting whiney anti-wwf promos, and I heard my mother could be dying, I would cancel my next appearence and rush home, not wait unil I'm done with my scheduled whney interviews.

Guest bob_barron

punch, punch, punch, punch, use the knee, use the knee, punch, punch, blade, low blow, Pedigree.

Guest permagrinning
Bionic, I do care about the psychology. A lot. Read my initial post. I consider psychology to be an essential part of a match, but I don't believe that it's what makes a match great.

Point taken, bob, but at least HHH isn't as redundant as Flair.

funny comment that just truely made this thread pointless. HHH is ever bit redundant if not more so. What flair had/has over HHH is that with his little redudancey he still wound up putting on matches that would run 30 minutes on a regular basis.

How many of those have we seen HHH in? An Iron Man with Rock and the trifecta with Austin at No Way Out?

Again, that brings you also back to psychology. Trips is carried to psychology (see Mick Foley Royal Rumble), flair has the intelligence and feel for an audience to work them into the frenzy. That's what makes psychology so important. You can pull out the highspots and be as innovative as hell but if you don't know how to feel out a crowd you're going nowhere fast.

Guest snowfan
punch, punch, punch, punch, use the knee, use the knee, punch, punch, blade, low blow, Pedigree.

poses spits water...

Guest RazorxEDGE

Ric Flair...the innovator of suprisingly comfortable open-toe poolside footwear.

Guest RazorxEDGE

And in more important news:

X-Pac obviously wouldn't be able to wrestle under the gimmick name of X-Pac due to copyright hassle, but did obtain the rights to "Syxx-Pac" which WWE owned the trademark on but gave it to X-Pac as part of his settlement with the company.

Whoo! The return of Syxx!

Guest snowfan
And in more important news:

X-Pac obviously wouldn't be able to wrestle under the gimmick name of X-Pac due to copyright hassle, but did obtain the rights to "Syxx-Pac" which WWE owned the trademark on but gave it to X-Pac as part of his settlement with the company.

Whoo! The return of Syxx!

Thank God!

We can have a DX version 7.5 reunion if they get Jesse out of detox!