TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RickyChosyu

Just for the sake of arguement...

Guest RickyChosyu

I see. As of right now, I like Ultimo/Rey more than Michaels/Foley, but I haven't seen Survivor Series '96 in a while, so I'm a bit unsure there.

Guest Dmann2000

Well I'm gonna watch Austin vs Hart from SurSer 96 right now. The intro package to it is so well done

Guest RickyChosyu

Yes. It's easy to understand why everyone started supporting Austin above Hart, considering how well Steve ripped into him. Good feud.

Guest Dmann2000
Yes. It's easy to understand why everyone started supporting Austin above Hart, considering how well Steve ripped into him. Good feud.

"If you put the letter S in front of Hitman, you'd have my exact impression of Bret Hart"

"Bret Hart on his best day couldn't beat me"

"Pink tights, who in the hell wears pink tights"

Guest dc_tapes

92:Bret vs. Davey Boy (Summerslam)

93:Hart vs. Steiners

94:Bret vs. Owen (Wrestlemania X)

95:Guerrero vs. Malenko (Hostile City Showdown)

96:Austin vs. Bret Hart (Survivor Series)

97:Owen vs. Davey Boy (Euro Finals, RAW)

98:Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome (Heatwave 98)

99:Benoit vs. Bret Hart (Nitro)

00:TIE HHH vs. Jericho (Fully Loaded) HHH vs. Benoit (No Mercy)

01:TIE Austin vs. Benoit (Smackdown), Austin vs. Angle (Summerslam)

02:Guerrero vs. RVD (Ladder, RAW)

Guest Tim Cooke

1990 - 7/7 MX v Southern Boys

1991 - Wargames

1992 - Sting v Vader 6/92

1993 - Sting v Vader 2/93

1994 - Michaels v Ramon 3/94

1995 - Michaels v Ramon 8/95

1996 - Rey v Juve Tijuana 3/16/96

1997 - Rey v Eddy 10/97

1998 - ???

1999 - Benoit/Malenko v Raven/Saturn 4/99

2000 - Benoit v Regal Pillman Show

2001 - Benoit v Angle 4/01 WM

2002 - Benoit v Angle from last night, though their may be something I haven't seen that will surpass it.

Tim

Guest Agent of Oblivion

92-The Royal Rumble

93-(Was the Bret/Flair Ironman in 93? If so, that.) Otherwise, Flair/Vader from Starrcade

94-Bret/Owen

95-HBK/Jarrett, IYH2. Great blend of southern face/heel wrestling and sports entertainment.

96-Bret/Austin Survivor Series. This is also the best WWF match ever, IMO.

97-Eddy/Rey 97 Halloween Havoc. (Although I like the submission match more, this was better by a hair.)

98-Austin/Dude Love, Over the Edge

99-Bret/Benoit, Owen tribute. Sure we knew who was going to win an how, but WHAT a match. ***** IMO.

00-HHH/Cactus Jack-HIAC, No Way Out. I think it's better than the streetfight, which is absolutely awesome as well.

01-Austin/Benoit, Smackdown. Although I'm one of those types that greatly enjoyed the 2/3 falls HHH/Austin. I don't get why some of you thought the brawling was sloppy and dull, I found it to be quite the opposite.

02-Been a bad year so far. Rock/Jericho from the Rumble.

Guest RickyChosyu

Tim, did you see Benoit/Austin? To me, that was filled with way more fire, character, and tenacity than Benoit/Angle, which seemed to be more of exibition, if anything. Great matwork, great build, but crummy pay off, in my opinion.

Benoit/Austin rivals Hart/Hart and Hart/Austin as the best WWF match I've ever seen.

Guest Tim Cooke

I'm kind of torn between Austin/Benoit. Stylistically, I thought the Raw match was laid out better and was going to bigger and better places before they fucked it up with that horrendous screwjob.

The Smackdown match was good but my main gripe is the Crossface section in which BVenoit put it on four times in row.

Eseentially though, it is a tie between Angle/BEnoit and the Benoit/Austin series for me. If they did a title switch on RAW for Benoit to lose it on Smackdown, that would have also been a positive to put it over the top.

Great matches though...around ****=****1/4.

Tim

Guest RickyChosyu

Agreed. The killing of both Crossface and the German suplex as credible offense for Benoit had me jumping out my chair, and not in a good way. Seemed like a case of overdoing something they thought would make the match better.

The Raw match was good, but that finish just ruined it for me. I could see it coming from a mile away (yeah, as if announcing the reff before the match wasn't a dead give-away) and the match never really clicked with me as a result. I have a friend who archives all the big Raw matches like that, so maybe I can re-watch it with a clear head.

Guest HartFan86

1992: Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog (Summerslam 1992) in the Greatest Summerslam Match...EVER.

1993: Damn, tough one. I'll go with Flair vs. Vader (Starrcade) because I can't think if anything else.

1994: Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Wrestlemania X, Tied for Greatest WWF match ever)

1995: Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero (Hostile City Showdown, Greatest ECW match I have ever seen)

1996: Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Survivor Series, Tied for Greatest WWF match ever)

1997: Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (Wrestlemania)

1998: Austin vs. Dude Love (OTE: IYH) in the greatest Sports Entertainment match...EVER. I still watch that match and mark out crazy.

1999: Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit (Nitro, Owen Tribute) in the greatest Nitro match...EVER.

2000: So many good matches to choose from...Cactus Jack vs. HHH (Royal Rumble) and HHH vs. Benoit (No Mercy) are my picks.

2001: Steve Austin vs. Rock (Wrestlemania)

2002: Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle (Unforgiven)

And I agree...I enjoyed Benoit vs. Austin from Raw much more then SD. I never marked out so much in my life for Benoit doing the sharpshooter then watching that, and the buildup for the Raw match was much better because the whole night focused around it and it was in Calgary, Alberta, F'n Canada. The finish is just god awful, but I still enjoyed it more. I need to watch that SD match again, too.

Guest RickyChosyu

Brethart4ever: There was plenty of better stuff in '93, trust me. Flair/Vader is really quite pedrestrian compared to the stuff Vader did with Sting, some of Windham's matches, and even the work of pre-prime Benoit.

Plus, there was that match Flair had with Hart that usually get possitive reviews. I haven't seen that one yet.

Guest bob_barron

Vader v. Sting from Superbrawl III is better then Flair v. Vader IMO and my pick for MOTY.

Guest RobJohnstone

As much as I enjoyed hart/austin from ss96, I am going to pick HHH v austin 2/3 falls from no way out 2001. It's just my opinion but from start to a clever finish it was awesome.

--Rob

Guest RickyChosyu

Make no mistake, Benoit was doing more things right in '93 than many workers have done in their entire careers, and he was a total work-horse even before he hit his peak. However, I don't think he really got it together and filled up all the holes in his work until '94. I'd say he was still in his prime by '96, too, though WCW wasn't the best enviroment to showcase that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh man, you've GOT to see the Bret/Flair Ironman. Since it happened in 93, it's definitely my pick for the 93 MOTY in NA.

Guest RobJohnstone

dude. the camera angles of that hart/flair ironman match sucked balls. I couldn't even watch it.

--Rob

Guest lowavenue

I'll do most underrated matches:

1990: Doom Vs Steiner Brothers (Capital Combat)

1991: Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect (Summerslam)

1992: Bret Hart Vs Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series)

1993: Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect (King of the Ring)

1994: Bret Hart Vs Bob Backlund (Survivor Series)

1995: Bret Hart Vs Diesel (Survivor Series)

1996: Steve Austin Vs Marc Mero (King of the Ring)

1997: Bret Hart Vs Undertaker (Summerslam)

1998: Steve Austin Vs Mankind (Survivor Series)

1999: Hardy Boyz Vs Edge and Christian (No Mercy)

2000: Rock Vs HHH (Judgment Day)

2001: Rock Vs Kurt Angle (No Way Out)

2002: Kurt Angle Vs Edge (Backlash)

Guest RobJohnstone
I'll do most underrated matches:

1990: Doom Vs Steiner Brothers (Capital Combat)

1991: Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect (Summerslam)

1992: Bret Hart Vs Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series)

1993: Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect (King of the Ring)

1994: Bret Hart Vs Bob Backlund (Survivor Series)

1995: Bret Hart Vs Diesel (Survivor Series)

1996: Steve Austin Vs Marc Mero (King of the Ring)

1997: Bret Hart Vs Undertaker (Summerslam)

1998: Steve Austin Vs Mankind (Survivor Series)

1999: Hardy Boyz Vs Edge and Christian (No Mercy)

2000: Rock Vs HHH (Judgment Day)

2001: Rock Vs Kurt Angle (No Way Out)

2002: Kurt Angle Vs Edge (Backlash)

underrated, are you joking me. Shit angle vs edge was overrated if anything. I could care less about what SK said about it. It was boring up until the end, and even a good ending cannot save a bad match. Maybe that match was ***, and that's a big maybe. Rock vs HHH from JD is underrated, I doubt it, but you are mentioning matches that did not even come close to moty in NA let alone the world. BLAH

--Rob

Guest lowavenue

I wasn't talking about MOTY candidates, I was talking about underrated matches. Everyone has an opinion.

Guest RickyChosyu

Keep in mind, Justin Baisden actually rated Hardyz/E&C *****, and it got runner up on the RSPW awards for MOTY. Considering that Baisden has access to more than just NA material, and considering that even if the WON fans only watched NA wreslting, there would be better material to be found, I have to think that it's overrated, if anything.

And while I haven't seen any concrete proof of it (besides Scott Keith's usuall antics), I think Angle/Edge is pretty overrated, from what I've seen. I wouldn't call it more than ***.

Guest Tim Cooke

For 2002, look no further than Angle/Benoit from Unforgiven. ****1/4 will be MOTY. Kind of depressing.

Oh, and kids, don't be fooled by the ROH non sense. Unless Modest and Morgan start working there full time, I wouldn't expect to see a MOTYC at all.

Tim

Guest RobJohnstone
Keep in mind, Justin Baisden actually rated Hardyz/E&C *****, and it got runner up on the RSPW awards for MOTY. Considering that Baisden has access to more than just NA material, and considering that even if the WON fans only watched NA wreslting, there would be better material to be found, I have to think that it's overrated, if anything.

And while I haven't seen any concrete proof of it (besides Scott Keith's usuall antics), I think Angle/Edge is pretty overrated, from what I've seen. I wouldn't call it more than ***.

AMEN, I'm glad someone agrees with me that edge/angle was only about ***. I think that match gets all that credit because all these pro-angle marks want to see angle carry someone like edge to a great match like a flair or a steamboat could with a subpar worker. That's just my opinion though.

--Rob

Guest HartFan86
Brethart4ever: There was plenty of better stuff in '93, trust me. Flair/Vader is really quite pedrestrian compared to the stuff Vader did with Sting, some of Windham's matches, and even the work of pre-prime Benoit.

Plus, there was that match Flair had with Hart that usually get possitive reviews. I haven't seen that one yet.

That's what I figured. I haven't seen Superbrawl 3, so eh. I bet Scorpio/Benoit was better then Flair/Vader.

Guest RickyChosyu
Baisadan is an idiot.

"You MUST BE ONE OF THOSE WHO HATES BOTSJ '97 FINALS!!!!! BOOO!!!!! HISSS!!!!!"

BretHart4Ever: I would suggest seeing it, then. Sting/Vader is good stuff, and Benoit/Scorpio is quite enjoyable, too.

Guest Tim Cooke

"Kanemoto kicks out. 2.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

9999999999999999999999999999:

He has no clue about wrestling. Basically a SKeith clone with a tolerance for some Puro.

Tim