TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HellSpawn

Top Ten Holy $#!T Momments

"Ozymandias in Watchmen is the ULTIMATE holy shit moment. That's still maybe my favorite moment in all of comics. Just terrible and brilliant."

Nothing else is even close.

It blew my mind when I read it. It blows my mind now.

The single greatest moment in the history of comics.

Glad you agree with me.

What topped it off was the utterly nonchalant way in which he said those now classic lines.

"Do it? I'm not a republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Bone-chilling. Nothing, IMO, has ever topped that.

I do have to say, though, I must agree with Chiko regarding the Sinestro Corp if you want a more recent "holy shit" moment. The Cyborg? Superboy Prime? THE FUCKING ANTI-MONITOR??? All as part of the Sinestro Corps?

Add in the fact that Kyle has now turned to the dark side thanks to Parallax, and the DC universe is about to be fucked. I don't even know if they're going to be doing a major event with the Sinestro Corps, but with that sort of lineup, they absolutely could.

Yup, the end of Sinestro Corps was definately up there for me.

And yeah that "I did it thirty-five minutes ago" is just so fucking classing. Still chilling to read that sequence now. The way it turns storytelling on its head is just amazing. I mean, the good guys unravel a mystery, find the bad guy’s secret lair corner him and get his final plan revealed only to have him nonchalantly mention it’s already over; it’s genius.

Some of my other moments:

-The splash page at the end of Infinite Crisis #1, also the Prime fight and Barry jumping out of the speed force to grab him.

-Xorn revealed as Magneto

This was amazing, even though it's been retconned away to not actually being Magneto. This was such a great payoff to all the mysterious Xorn stuff, especially that scene in the forest where one of the students comes across him and all the massacred U-Men.

-Superman beat to death by Doomsday.

I was pretty young and a HUGE Superman fan at the time so reading that issue was big.

-Superman beat to death by Doomsday.

I was pretty young and a HUGE Superman fan at the time so reading that issue was big.

Sorry, that was such an UNDERWHELMING moment for me. The battle done in single-page panels just didn't do it for me. There was no drama and no tension, since it was Supes who was being beaten to death and Doomsday was shown being really hurt only once, then all of a suddden one two-fisted blow and Doomsday goes down? Yeah, right. Also, the stupid way in which Superman approached the fight: no super-speed attacks? No hit and move tactics? No wonder Batman always manages to beat that idiot.

Guest the_last_rites

In Ultimates v 1 when everyone is doubting whether Thor is really all that, he comes and rescues their asses. The thunder and lightning strike that announces his arrival was truly a markout moment for me