TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

FWA: British Uprising

I know its a while now since the show happened, but ive finally gotten round to uploading my pictures from the event, so I thought I would post them along with my thoughts on the show.

It was the first FWA show I had ever been to, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I first got into the York Hall, I was actually supprised at how tiny the ring was.

I'm rubbish at reviewing shows that I go to live, I always miss something and end up getting rapped up in whats going on too much. I'm ok with TV, but not when it's live, so i'll just give my opinions and thoughts for now.

The first match (Triple threat: James Tighe Vs Jack Xavier Vs Raj Gosh) was, in my opinion very good. I liked the way that they did a number of three way spots, rather then just having 1 vs 1 whilst the third guy was on the outside. I also think that the guys here did a great job of getting the crowd motiviated. They would frequently stop to clap their hands etc, in order to get the crowd into it. I think this set the tempo for the rest fo the night.

Hade Vansen Vs The Zebra Kid. I thought this match was decent enough and there were some decent spots. The thing I remember from this, was a little 8 year old kid, a couple of rows next to me shouting "Come on Zebra Man!" Well it made me laugh :D

The Pitbulls vs The New Breed. I kind of missed out on some of what happened here because im new to the FWA. I didnt quite understand the run in, and why it ended up 2 vs 1, but I guess if youv'e seen the build up to the show, it all makes perfect sense. Still this match, wasn't very good, and kind of bored me after the opening matches I had just seen. Still, an awesome table spot which happened really close to me, so that was good.

Drew Macdonald Vs Robbie Brookside. This was also a bad match. It just was going where, the moves shown were pretty boring, and it screamed "time filler" to me, which made me wonder why they had spent time and effort setting it up with the "TWA sactioned" gimmick/angle over the radio.

Jerry Lynn Vs Doug Williams. WOW, I loved this match. I thought the crowd was loud, until Jerry came out. The crowd blew the roof off. I was kind of shocked that this match was before the interval, but it was still good. I think it would have been better later on, when the crowd were completely ready for it, but I can't take away from the great performances from the two guys. Doug Williams went over, which I dont think even supprised the people casually passing by the arena on their way home from the pub, but you cant really expect anything else when the American workers work abroad in one off matches.

Nikita Vs Paul Travell. I was really really impressed with this match. Without trying to sound sexist (which im not - honest ! :)) womens matches are often not as good as male matches. I had also heard that Nikita was totally written off for her performance at FWA: Revival. Still, I thought she did very well here. She took some big bumps that I have to give her credit for, and I think this match was probablly better than the "tag" match and the TWA santioned match put together. I'm not trying to say it was an outstanding exhibition of wrestling ability, but it did prove for me that intergender matchups dont always have to be poor. And I think Nikia more than answered her critics.

Ulf Herman Vs Balls Mahoney. The crowd went all out for the Balls entrance as well. I also met Balls after the show, and he said that he would definetly come back to the FWA after the reception that "you guys gave me". This match took ages to get started, which I think worked well with the incredibly loud crowd. When it eventually started, I was very supprised with how good the actual match was. Apart from the very visible blade job on the part of Balls I thought the guys put on a good brawl. I loved it when they brawled to the outside, I was this close to the pair of them :)) They totally wrecked SST's stall and for a moment I thought they were going to go out onto the streets (I swear the thought crossed Balls' mind :)) Classic!That would have been awesome, but when they took it back to the ring and the thumb tacks came out, it made up for it. Ulf looked a little shy of taking the big bump throughtout the macth, but Balls wasn't and when he did I was very impressed with the overall match.

Plus seeing Balls stick tacks into his own head was awesome, and pretty funny, and some of the chair shots in that match were shocking. Great stuff!

AJ Styles Vs Jonny Storm. Im a huge AJ fan, so there was no way I was ever going to be anything other than impressed with this match. I thought both men put on a great performance, AJ slightly missed his Leg drop from the top rope (easier to call it that) but we got to see a 2nd rope Styles Clash so thats good enough for me. Jonny Storm also impressed me here, he seems like quite the little high flyer, despite looking like X-Pac :)

Jody Feisch Vs Flash Barker. I really thought that these two would have trouble following what we had allready seen. But was I wrong or was I wrong. Some awesome spots throughout (particularly with the ones onto the ladders between the ring and the security railings), but I think it will be obviously remembered for that Huge moonsault off the 20 foot baclony WOW! An awesome end to an awesome night.

I am now officially an FWA fan for life. I wear the T-shirt I bought on the night with pride, and I look forward hugely to the Broxbourne show in December.

Which leaves me with one thing to say.... well chant actually,

F-W-A, F-W-A, F-W-A, F-W-A, F-W-A, F-W-A, F-W-A

cheers,

ChUnK!

If you want to use my pics, then please credit me first. I have stacks more, but I only have a 56k modem so it takes sooooo long to upload them that I had to pick the best ones.

Let me know what you think of my pics and review.

Each link below takes you to a different one of the photos I uploaded, i've also added a few to this post for a taster. Enjoy and let me know what you think. Thanks for reading:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Photo 10

Photo 11

Photo 12

Photo 13

Photo 14

Photo 15

Photo 16

Photo 17

Photo 18

Photo 19

Photo 20

Photo 21

Photo 22

Photo 23

Photo 24

8.JPG

15.JPG

17.JPG

20.JPG

Great post. I'm definately considering going to the December show. Any *ratings?

Like I say, i'm not very good at rating matches when i go to live shows, because I tend to mark out too much for live action. And I always end up missing something or over looking something.

But I would defiently give the AJ Styles/Jonny Storm and Lynn/Williams matches around ****

Personally, I would also give the Balls/Ulf Brawl at least ***1/2

and I would give Nikita/Travell **1/2 (ish)

In the cold light of day, I would probably have to re-consider some of those ratings, but on the night, with the electric crowd, the FWA guys could do little wrong in my opinion.

If you are thinking about going to the December show, then I would recomend you do.

I think they have confirmed that AJ Styles is back and will feature in a Fatal Four way for the Number one contendership to Chris Daniels' newly won FWA heavyweight title. It should be a great night. Its a pity they are putting ticktes prices up and that they insist on holding shows on a Sunday night, but you can't have it all your own way I guess :)

ChUnK!

Guest Last Warrior

Good post, i can answer a few things you said though.

Drew Macdonald Vs Robbie Brookside. This was also a bad match. It just was going where, the moves shown were pretty boring, and it screamed "time filler" to me, which made me wonder why they had spent time and effort setting it up with the "TWA sactioned" gimmick/angle over the radio.

The whole point of the show was to cater to all sorts of fans and this was meant to appeal to te old school fan.

Also the FWA always have a first half main event and a second half main event and that is why doug Vs jerry was where it was.

Good pictures as well.

Good post, i can answer a few things you said though.

The whole point of the show was to cater to all sorts of fans and this was meant to appeal to te old school fan.

Also the FWA always have a first half main event and a second half main event and that is why doug Vs jerry was where it was.

Good pictures as well.

Cheers, feel free to use them if your writting a review or anything (just credit me) I have got some more as well, but like i said it takes me ages to upload them all.

I now understand about the double main event thing. I dont know if its how i would run things, but i understand if thats they way they always do things.

I can also see the plan behind the TWA match. It's a pity the match wasn't better though.

ChUnK!

Guest Last Warrior
I can also see the plan behind the TWA match. It's a pity the match wasn't better though.

The match wasn't great. Robbie Brookside is still quite a good worker though and i would have liked to see him go against mark sloan. They coulde worked an old school type match and i think the crowd would have been more into it.

I had heard good things about Brookside before the show, so the fact that I was expecting a lot might have influenced my opinion on the final match.

It would be a bit harsh of me to judge him on a single performance though, so I'll look for more from him if I see him wrestle in the future :)