• Les Claypool
    • Sting
    • Chris Novoselic
    • John Entwhistle
    • Lemmy
    • Jack Bruce
    • Other

Guest TheyCallMeMark

Why do people accompany these with polls? Nothing against you, but man there are just so many choices. As far as greatest bassist goes probably Stu Hamm.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Gotta be Cliff Burton.

But it's good to see him finally get recognition in a "Best bassist" thread by somebody other than a die-hard metalhead.

Now, with all due respect to the Lord and Thy True Savior of Heavy Music LEMMY KILMISTER, but he's a pretty generic bassist best known for his vocals. Although he did use to play blues and jazz bass, so I'm just judging on strictly Motörhead tunes, and no old-school Lemmy-fied Hawkwind.

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

With all due respect to Cliff Burton, I'd have to say John Entwhistle.

Guest redbaron51

Paul McCartney does not belong on this list....

and you forgot about Victor Wootan

John Entwistle is the man that made the bass what it is

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Once you've heard 'Pulling Teeth' you cannot deny the mighty Cliff of being the finest bass player ever.

I have still yet to be as blown away by a bass player like i was with Cliff, who played the thing as though it was a lead guitar.

Cliff 'Em All! :headbang:

Illusion

If you're going by technical talent, you have to go with Jaco Palonsko. He was a jazz bassist who played absolutely insane.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You mean the late great Jaco Pastorious? He's incredible, and deserves more recognition than what he gets, but not really what I'm into, not to mention the fact that I'm largely unfamiliar with his material.

That said, there's no one that even touches Claypool. He's every bit as fast as Burton (who is great even if I hate metallica), only he's playing SLAP bass, not just fingerpicking. Download the Rhinoplasty live version of Tommy the Cat, it'll make you shit and roll around in it. Point of interest: Claypool was a prospect for filling the spot in Metallica after Burton died. I'm so so so so so so so so so glad he didn't, but that's just me.

Victor Wooten is also indeed amazing, but falls into the same category as Jaco for me. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are full of some incredibly talented musicians.

Geddy Lee deserves props too, being an influence to dorky bass players the world over. (Like Les.)

LPEMP, that sig pic is absolutely great.

Guest saturnmark4life

Pastorius is supposed to be the best ever, yeah. I don't really have a problem with McCartney being on the list. I chose CLaypool cos it's a markout thing really, whether he's the best or not. Well I'll be damned, he is. How about that. Other than him, and most of the list, i'll go for me. ;)

Guest FeArHaVoC

Billy Sheehan is the most over looked Bassist Ever. He smokes anything Cliff Burton did.

Billy Sheehan is the Steve Vai of Bassist.

Guest Espalda

Charles Mingus, William Collins, Victor Rice, Ray Brown, Mike Watt, Darryl Jenifer, and Hub.

Guest ElectricRaccoon

Gotta say Claypool. The man can make a bass do just about anything. I'm surprised to see Mike Watt absent from the list - his style is kinda sparse, but he is THE proverbial tugboat (as opposed to ball-hog). Not to mention that he's served as a kind of kung fu master for Flea, in addition to actually giving him the Thunderbroom, the bass he played in the Minutemen. So, if you count "being REALLY damn nice to Flea" as a category, Watt needs to be on there.

Billy Sheehan is the Steve Vai of Bassist.

You mean he plays the same thing over and over with no emotion?

And yes, I did mean Pastorious. I have no idea where Palonsko came from. Well, wait, I do. That's some old jazz drummer's name that somehow got in my head. Blargh.

Sorry to double post, but where's Geezer Butler? He wasn't technically amazing or anything, but he had some fucking killer bass lines.

And Scott Reeder. Can't forget Scott Reeder.

Guest redbaron51

Dave Ellfson from Megadeth had some good bass licks in as well....

then you have John Myung and also the all mighty of the gallop Steve Harris