Guest BobBacklundRules Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Ok, I read an article writtin by a guy who talked to Goldberg at the Atlanta celebrity softball game (I can't find it, but trust me it's real) that said Bill Goldberg said one thing he wanted to do was to have a match at wrestlemania. Then today I read this at wrestlinginc.com: By Bryan Dunn WrestlingInc.com Staff December 14, 2002 The Rock made an appearance on "The Pugs and Kelly Show" in Dallas yesterday. The following notes were made from the show. Rock spoke about is upcoming movie and how he'd like to get some time off to see the Miami Hurricanes in the national championships. The radio hosts then asked him if he was going to return to wrestling. The Rock replied that he would like to come back one more time. After that he was asked about his future opponents, to which he replied that he is working on doing something with Bill Goldberg. The Rock said that he didn't want to give anything away, although stated that there was definitely something in the works. Ok so Goldberg's asking price is supposed to be two million per year and WWE's offering price is around the $750,000 mark. But could WWE sign Goldberg for a one-match deal at wrestlemania?
Guest HartFan86 Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 I have a feeling if this is true, WWE is going for these 3 big matches at Mania: Rock/Goldberg Hogan/Austin Angle/Lesnar I think if Goldberg still has a big draw, then it would be the right move for a one time deal. If not, then don't. You still have Austin coming back (which is a big enough draw in itself).
Guest DJ Jeff Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 For a one time deal, yeah, I'd like to see Goldberg wrestle the Rock. That would probably make Wrestlemania 19 that much bigger, if the WWE goes with Austin vs. Hogan and Angle vs. Lesnar. Not to mention we might get the final HBK vs. HHH match at Wrestlemania 19, with another stipulation added. It's probably just me, but I have a feeling that Wrestlemania 19 could end up being the biggest Wrestlemania so far.
Guest Kotzenjunge Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Jeff's right, this Wrestlemania COULD be the biggest one ever, at least on paper, all considered. Let's just hope it all comes together.
Guest dreamer420 Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 I found it interesting that The Rock said he would like to return one more time, which hopefully means that he will stick to films and stop returned every few months to win the title and piss me off.
Guest Downhome Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 I have a feeling if this is true, WWE is going for these 3 big matches at Mania: Rock/Goldberg Hogan/Austin Angle/Lesnar I think if Goldberg still has a big draw, then it would be the right move for a one time deal. If not, then don't. You still have Austin coming back (which is a big enough draw in itself). Call me crazy, but that would be one FUCK of a PPV. Have those matches, then through in an undercard full of the Benoits, Jerichos, and all of that bunch, perhaps one of them for the #1 contendership, and I will be greatly pleased. By the way... ...if Goldberg shows up, it would NOT be for a one time deal.
Guest Brian Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 They're thinking about signing Goldberg to a one match deal, which is nearly as stupid as signing him long-term.
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Someone should really make a thread concerning this Rock, "one more time" comment. Oh and we should all boycott Rock's movies to force him to come back to the WWE.
Guest Brian Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Just get rid of him. Start re-building, phase out all the old talent and only use what you can elevate talent with/have long-term commitments and drawing power from.
Guest Downhome Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 They're thinking about signing Goldberg to a one match deal, which is nearly as stupid as signing him long-term. They may be thinking it, but they would never do it for just one shot. He'll either be signed for 1-3 years (then more if it works out), or they wont bother with it at all. I doubt even Goldberg would go along for one shot, really.
Guest Brian Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Well, Goldy is asking for far too much and they only see a limited draw in him. I mean, of they really wanted to make any moey out of him they would have done this a year and a half back.
Guest Downhome Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Well, Goldy is asking for far too much and they only see a limited draw in him. I mean, of they really wanted to make any moey out of him they would have done this a year and a half back. I just don't see it happening, that's all. If it does happen I'll be shocked as hell. Let's say he DID sign for a one match deal at WM with Austin, just in theory... ...who would win and how would it end? I can't imagine Goldberg agreeing to lay down for Austin in one match, with no chance to ever get "revenge". Nor can I see WWE signing Goldberg just to have him defeat Austin at the biggest show of the year, and then simply have Goldy leave, not leaving any room for an extended program. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Guest Brian Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 What's the point of doing the match in the first place? What's the point of signing Goldberg? To pop a one-time buyrate and maybe a few ratings IF people still care that much about him (and compare that to Austin who draws a crowd of 5,000 to an autograph signing). They're wasting their time and money. Fuck Goldberg.
Guest AndrewTS Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Fuck Goldberg. Hardly anyone remembers him, he's already ended Bret Hart's career (not one you'd trust in a program with one of your top stars), and he has one of the shittiest attitudes out of anyone in the business. He thinks it owes him something, and because of cancers like Kevin Nash he's become a prima donna bitch. He needs to have his matches planned out a la the DDP match to put on much of a worthwhile performance, and Vince has about 4 guys on hand who can do anything he can do. If Vince shells out the cash, we can declare him fucking braindead, I believe. He'll pop a rating for a couple weeks, and the additional buyrate won't be worth how much Goldy's asking.
Guest dreamer420 Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Fuck Goldberg. Hardly anyone remembers him, he's already ended Bret Hart's career (not one you'd trust in a program with one of your top stars), and he has one of the shittiest attitudes out of anyone in the business. I think if the WWE were to sign him they would make him keep his ego in check, like they did with Hogan, Nash and Hall upon their arrival.
Guest geniusMoment Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Why would they make it Goldberg vs. Rock when the match everyone would want would be Austin/Goldberg. I have to admit I would buy the ppv if austin/Goldberg was one of the main events
Guest the pinjockey Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Rock/Goldberg leaves Austin/Hogan open though. If you have Austin/Goldberg then they cant run a "dream match" with Rock or Hogan because they already went at it. And personally I have no interest in seeing Goldberg do anything especially a one-time deal for a WM match.
Guest blachuuh_monkey Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 I personally think that Hogan is going to wrestle against Vince McMahon at WM and HHH is going up against Kevin Nash. Although Rock vs Goldberg would be good for a one time deal I don't think they should get Goldberg full time no matter how cheap they could get him for. Angle vs Lesnar would obviously be the shit and if Austin is back in time for Mania I think he should have a match with Benoit as that would obviuosly be great and it would help out Benoit tremendously. Other than that I'm not sure where to go but HBK vs Y2J would be the shit.
Guest BobBacklundRules Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Here's some more evidence I found on wrestleinc: According to PWTorch.com, there are rumors going around that WWE is making a big stride in attempting to sign Goldberg for a match at WrestleMania. If that were to happen, this year's WrestleMania would be monumental. Current ideas for WrestleMania show Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, Triple H vs. Scott Steiner, HBK's return to WrestleMania, Kevin Nash could be back in time for WrestleMania, and negotiations with Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan would definitely be possible for WrestleMania as well. Of course, The Rock will also be available to work the show.
Guest dreamer420 Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Nash is hoping for a Royal Rumble return so hopefully he'll get a decent Wrestlemania slot, unlike this years show.
Guest Brian Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Who does it help? What the hell is the point? I can understand Hogan/Vince if that's hogan's farewell since he already helped establish Brock, but what the use of getting Goldberg. Why can't Hogan and rock be putting over people? Or Austin? And why sign Goldylocks?
Guest bps "The Truth" 21 Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 I was just reading somewhere that the WWE was thinking of this for Mania: Angle vs. Lesnar (Good) HHH vs. Steiner (Terrible) Nash vs. HBK (if Nash is back...and if he is they may put him with HHH instead of Steiner. Either way...TERRIBLE) Hogan vs. Vince (Terrible) Rock vs. Goldberg (Goldberg sucks and Rock can't carry) Look at all the stars...oooh... That's amazing. Of course IT WILL HURT BUSINESS IN THE LONG RUN WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN PRETEND THAT MIDCARDERS CAN BE ELAVATED. But hey, Vince is a genius. A multi-million dollar a quarter losing certifiable genius.
Guest Angle-plex Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 It will probably look something like this: Lesnar/Angle Hogan/McMahon Austin/Goldberg Nash/HBK HHH/Steiner Rock/Jericho or Benoit
Guest AndrewTS Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Fuck Goldberg. Hardly anyone remembers him, he's already ended Bret Hart's career (not one you'd trust in a program with one of your top stars), and he has one of the shittiest attitudes out of anyone in the business. I think if the WWE were to sign him they would make him keep his ego in check, like they did with Hogan, Nash and Hall upon their arrival. Sorta... Hogan had a good attitude, but Hall and Nash had heat with plenty of guys right from the start if I recall correctly. Scott Hall was fired quickly, and Nash would be fired right now if he wasn't injured. They'd likely make an exception for GB though, because any time an nWo member would fall they'd make a replacement/addition. Goldy's just ONE guy. Why they'd be intersted, I don't know. What can he possibly do that the musclebound, shitty-workrate goofs that they already have can't do? And why not use...you know..the guys who are OVER and ALREADY WORK FOR YOU and would be ready and willing to do basically anything you ask for a main event shot? Or pay out the ass for some manufactured "phenomenon" that you've already been able to reproduce (although not as a face yet), who has already injured the career of a dedicated veteran, who doesn't give a shit out of the business, and is bound to have heat with everyone right from the beginning. You know how bad Goldberg is? Triple H thinks he's a worthless undeserving piece of shit. AND I AGREE!!! If HHH and I can agree on something like that, than damn...
Guest Brian Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 Brock © vs. Angle HHH © vs. RVD Los Guerreros © vs. Edge and Christian Lance Storm and Regal © vs. the Dudleys Jaime Knoble © w/ Nunzio and Nidia vs. Rey Mysterio The Rock vs. Chris Jericho Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit Hogan vs. Vince Steiner vs. Booker T All they have to do is pull the trigger. This was THE card by far. And they blew it.
Guest bradolson Posted December 14, 2002 Report Posted December 14, 2002 All those "great" matches... and if he's lucky, RVD will get to host the party at the World that night. Brad
Guest DJ Jeff Posted December 15, 2002 Report Posted December 15, 2002 Here's what I think the card for Wrestlemania 19 will be: World Championship Rob Van Dam© vs. Chris Jericho WWE Championship Brock Lesnar© vs. Kurt Angle WWE Tag Team Championship Los Guerreros© vs. ???????????????? Triple Threat Tag Team Match World Tag Team Championship Booker T & Goldust© vs. 3 Minute Warning vs. Lance Storm & William Regal WWE Women's Championship Victoria© vs. Lita (if Lita returns before Wrestlemania 19) WWE Cruiserweight Championship Jamie Noble© vs. Rey Mysterio Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan Scott Steiner vs. Triple H The Rock vs. Chris Benoit There would be more match, of course. I just can't think of any right now. Nash, the Undertaker, Kane, and others will be involved some way.
Guest AndrewTS Posted December 15, 2002 Report Posted December 15, 2002 DJ: Your optimism is commendable. I'd buy a WM with that line up gladly. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be even half that. Oh well, THINK POSITIVELY... *BANG*
Guest Army Eye Posted December 15, 2002 Report Posted December 15, 2002 Thumbs down on Rock/Goldberg. If you bring in Goldberg you have to put him up against Austin. That's the money match. Hogan/Austin would've been huge last year, but not now. Hogan was jobbed out. His aura is gone. Best spot for Hogan is to fight McMahon. Austin vs. Goldberg Rock vs. Steiner Angle vs. Lesnar HHH vs. Nash That's an incredible quadruple main right there. Throw in Hogan vs. McMahon as the special attraction, that's five huge matches and you still haven't used Jericho, RVD, Edge, Benoit, Taker, Booker T, etc. This could be a ridiculously stacked card. I just hope they are thinking about what they want to do for WrestleMania right NOW. Not in late February.
Guest Jobber of the Week Posted December 15, 2002 Report Posted December 15, 2002 Sigh. They so need to reform Edge & Christian. Their act could even be over as a face (something The Rock can't do very well within his character) if you just throw out the cheap heat city sports team digs.
Recommended Posts
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now