TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Incandenza

Shit You Listened to Today

Guest Incandenza
How do I actually post a picture, I can't seem to get it to work?

"img"url of picture"/img"

Replace the "" with [].

Guest Incandenza

f45338ch3u3.jpg d13436bg0wb.jpg

It had been awhile since I listened to that Outkast album, and I ended up liking it a whole lot less than I remember. They got so much better with ATLiens.

Guest JangoFett4Hire

This morning I listened to the first few songs of Ween's classic Chocolate and Cheese

Guest Incandenza

I've managed to piss off some people over at the Pitchfork board by trashing E.C.'s My Aim is True. Damn, those are some sensitive motherfuckers.

Guest Incandenza

It was funny. One person alleged I was simply bashing it just to be hip, when half that board seems to pride itself in liking nothing everyone else likes. I think the people here know me better.

Guest Kinetic

I read that thread, and you have no one to blame but yourself. First you sold the album ridiculously short--"Alison" is no good, the whole thing is forgettable--and then preceeded to call them "sad, sad people" for disagreeing with you, accusing them of kowtowing to "conventional wisdom." For shame, Eyeball Kid.

"Miracle Man" fucking owns, by the way.

Guest Incandenza
I read that thread, and you have no one to blame but yourself. First you sold the album ridiculously short--"Alison" is no good, the whole thing is forgettable--and then preceeded to call them "sad, sad people" for disagreeing with you, accusing them of kowtowing to "conventional wisdom." For shame, Eyeball Kid.

"Miracle Man" fucking owns, by the way.

Hey, now. I never sold the whole album short; there were two songs I liked, and I gave them props. And my snide comments only came after I was called a "fool" by one person, and a "dipshit" by another. I've lurked at that board long enough to know that being reasonable doesn't get you very far.

Guest Kinetic

I listened to my My Aim Is True today and I still like it plenty. And what exactly is it about "Little Triggers" that you like that isn't present in "Alison"? "Alison" has a better melody, for one, and is basically a series of absolutely killer lines. "I don't know if you were lovin' some body, I only know it isn't mine"...I mean, come on. That's brilliant.

Guest Incandenza

"Little Triggers" ain't a great song, but I enjoy it more than "Alison." "Alison," honestly, isn't bad, it's just a tiny little piffle of a tune that lacks the emotion of the TYM ballad. My hatred stems from the fact that 1) the more and more I hear it, the more hollow it feels (clever lines, regardless), and 2) I hate that such a piece of nothing is revered by so many as a great song.

Guest Kinetic

Well, what is a great song? As far as good pop is concerned--and Costello at his best is exactly that--"Alison" ranks right up there. The melody is undeniable. And, hell...if it's good enough for Linda Ronstadt to cover, it's good enough for me or you.

Guest Incandenza

Did you know No Doubt covered "Almost Blue"? I can only imagine how awful it is.

Guest Kinetic

Did they do a cheeky ska cover of it or an earnest piano ballad? Someone download that and tell me. Didn't Gwen Stefani collaborate with Costello on a song for the Rugrats soundtrack or some shit?

Guest Incandenza

All I know is this from allmusic.com:

"Almost Blue" was written with timelessness in mind and has already become a jazz-pop vocal standard, with cover versions ranging from the legendary trumpeter/vocalist Chet Baker's take to the breathy histrionics Gwen Stefani of neo-new wave band No Doubt, who mishandles the piece so thoroughly that a full orchestra is not enough to drown out her rubbery squeals.

Yep.

Oh, and here's all I listened to today:

f59826bivme.jpg

Guest Kinetic

It works on a lot of different levels. It must be true, seeing as how "Almost Blue" and No Doubt are totally incompatible. And it makes you think...Gwen Stefani's voice is kind of rubbery and squealy, isn't it? I am not as of yet capable of that sort of insight without a helping hand. I hope that, with a few more writing classes taken and a few hundred more records listened to, I'll be able to come up with stuff like that and positively identify Chet Baker.

Guest Incandenza

I don't envision being online for the rest of the day, so here's yesterday, in addition to what I've listened to this morning:

c366319v090.jpg f57491cgu14.jpg d493257pa78.jpg f57490r0u40.jpg c39267a3i13.jpg

Even if this thread ends up with me as the only regular contributor (which is likely), I won't let it die. No way, man. Not until I get sick of it, anyway.

Guest evenflowDDT

Inc was listening to Pack Up the Cats and Elvis Costello! So was I yesterday!!!

::marks out... can't find real pictures since has to stop tying up the real phone line since stupid rainstorms shut down the internet phone line::

Guest LooseCannon

Inc, how'd songs about fucking work for you. I relistened to that a couple of weeks ago, and found myself liking it a bit better than I used to.

d224103uflb.jpgc49186ym534.jpg

c37668p4306.jpgf15398jrk9v.jpg

Guest Incandenza
Now back to lurking I go.

Stick around. Judging from what you listened to, you appear to have it on the ball.

Cannon--I like Songs About Fucking quite a bit. In fact, I think I like it more than Shellac.

::guesses he got back online again after all::

Metal Ed... um... you're a Manilow mark?

It wasn't what I thought it was, that's for damn sure. I guess I probly shoulda been able to tell from the cover, but I ain't really the perceptive type. I bet a lot of y'all were happy to see that, thinkin Metal Ed's done pussied out. But that ain't never gonna happen to Metal Ed. I'm gonna keep rockin the good rock until my dying day. But I did listen to Barry Manilow today on a accident. I thought it was Yngwie Malmstein's new band.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Where exactly are these hallowed Pitchfork boards? I can't find them, probably because I'm a tool.

I listened to no complete albums today. I feel so...empty.