TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Incandenza

Shit You Listened to Today

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

My high school chem teacher's kid was in Assuck.

She always insisted it was pronounced "Ahh-sook," but we knew she was wrong.

Guest evenflowDDT

f48558ron0b.jpg

I love being a "poser fan" who owns nothing but Greatest Hits albums. That's right, I don't own a single proper Rolling Stones album (although I am looking into Aftermath [uK version of course], and if/when I finally get a new burner I'm going to transfer my inherited vinyls of Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers to CD-R). Given that the Rolling Stones were much more of a singles-based band then, say, The Beatles (although I only own 1 from them as well... WHAT NOW?!), is this really that big of a problem? Anyway, disc one is classic stuff from beginning to end, and I listen to that all the time, but I usually don't listen to disc two, since I don't like most post-'60s Rolling Stones material. Today, for completist's sake, I listened to both discs all the way through. And although "Wild Horses" is still tied with "Paint It, Black" as my favorite Rolling Stones song, "Mother's Little Helper" and "Sympathy for the Devil" just got huge big up's from me this last few days. Uhhh... yea, big up's to those songs then! I also noticed "Fool to Cry" this listen.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Evenflow, just buy Exile On Main Street. It'll be good to you, I promise. Beggars Banquet is a fine first proper album too.

Today I listened to Portishead's live album, PNYC, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Prince's Parade. However, Allmusic's giving me trouble, so just picture

1) an orchestra and a big P

2) a big ugly black bug, and

3) Prince in a tiny, barely nipple-coverin' vest groping himself.

Guest Eyeball Kid

f54970rb6df.jpg

Borrowed from a friend, whom, along with many others "in the know," swear this is one of the greatest things to come out of the 70s. I like it, but not that much. Also, for the record, the Strokes--who suck (and are oft-compared to this particular act)--sound nothing like this band. The Velvet Underground is better than both of those bands, natch.

d77233871i8.jpg

It had been while since I listened to this, and, with an urge to play something from it on my show today, I put it on. It's Waits' third record, an all live set of entirely new material. To my chagrin, this album is full of boho jazz, which serves as a rebuke to a statement I once made on this board saying that Waits' early stuff wasn't very jazzy. My bad.

d739179t197.jpg

I initially had planned on playing only the first side of this vinyl on my show today, but, feeling lazy, I played the whole thing. Hey, it's out of print, so it's good for the kids.

f41468q1rrm.jpg

For almost two weeks now, not a day has gone by where I didn't listen to at least one XTC album. Today was no different. Andy Partridge, you magnificent bastard.

And here's what I played on my show today. I didn't feel like programming much:

My Early-Mid 90s Alternative Nation Set

"Start Choppin'"--Dinosaur Jr.

"Girlfriend"--Matthew Sweet

"Ocean"--Sebadoh

"50ft Queenie"--PJ Harvey

My Live Set

"Warm Beer and Cold Women" and "Putnam County," along with their respective spoken word intros, from Tom Waits' Nighthawks at the Diner

"Heroin," and an interview leading up to it, from Lou Reed's American Poet. An early 70s radio concert long available as a bootleg, it wasn't officially released until 2001. The part of the interview where Reed wishes death on Doug Yule--and the crowd's subsequent reaction--is worth the price of admission.

Trust, by Elvis Costello & the Attractions. The whole shebang.

My Funky Set

"1999"--Prince

"You Are Invited"--The Dismemberment Plan

"Chicken Grease"--D'Angelo

"Found a Job"--Talking Heads

The Closer

"Chaos of the Galaxy/Happy Man"--Sparklehorse

Guest LooseCannon
f54970rb6df.jpg

Borrowed from a friend, whom, along with many others "in the know," swear this is one of the greatest things to come out of the 70s. I like it, but not that much. Also, for the record, the Strokes--who suck (and are oft-compared to this particular act)--sound nothing like this band. The Velvet Underground is better than both of those bands, natch.

I agree with this.

Guest evenflowDDT

Yo, was writing a paper yesterday (and should be today), so time for BUMPIN N GRINDIN~!

f03047wel6a.jpg

Haven't listened to this album in a while... when I first picked it up I couldn't stand it, but now I've warmed to it a bit. "Worst Comes to Worst" is an awesome song, and Babu is a pretty good DJ, though he doesn't have a real "defining style" that I can pick out just yet.

f01521zhy8t.jpg

Ahhh... Jill Scott. I love her, and unlike my initial love for Macy Gray (I'll admit it - I own both On How Life Is and The Id, as well as some old demo tape), Jill Scott's voice and tracks still hold up, particularly in this live performance. Unlike most R&B performances that I've seen, Scott uses her experience as a spoken-word poet to further connect with the crowd, and she has honest to God soul, something severely lacking in music today.

e23985pvten.jpg

Can someone explain the joke to me? 'Cuz I honestly just don't get it. Thankfully I picked this one up used at Amoeba and it only cost me like $5.

c593797v4nc.jpg

And coming in last and out of place as always is Mudhoney. After looking all over (meaning all three CD stores in Santa Cruz :P) for this, I finally picked it up last week and it hasn't left my player since. I'm sure there's better Mudhoney, but I mark huge for "Touch Me I'm Sick" and "Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More", and I don't really know any of the songs off Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge or any of their other albums. But I'll probably end up picking it up somewhere along the line anyway.

Guest evenflowDDT
c01222ugios.jpg

Hey Zorin, I saw this album on allmusic. What's on it? I know "Boys Don't Cry" is a song (and a song I like a lot, I might add), and I was just going to pick up Staring at the Sea because it had that song and most of their early singles.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Evenflow, I can't speak on how good the actual Boys Don't Cry album is, but you definitely want the singles collection. Peppy, poppy, angsty, and perfectly produced: it's good shit.

c01222ugios.jpg

Hey Zorin, I saw this album on allmusic. What's on it? I know "Boys Don't Cry" is a song (and a song I like a lot, I might add), and I was just going to pick up Staring at the Sea because it had that song and most of their early singles.

I'd go with Staring at the sea, Boys don't cry is a decent enough album, but a lot of it just dosen't click with me, although you should try to listen to Fire in Cairo off the album as it is a great song

Guest Eyeball Kid

This is from yesterday, but whatever:

f71514uy58r.jpg

The Residents may've spent most of their 30 years as the avant garde's goofiest pranksters, but last year's Demons Dance Alone saw the band mining genuine emotional territory. It is said that most of the songs here were written in the time shortly thereafter 9/11, and while the songs never deal with that day explicitly, there's still high levels of sadness and pathos permeating the record. It's quite effective.

e80584e52jo.jpg

Wanna get into Captain Beefheart, but the sheer size of Trout Mask Replica intimidates you? Try the significantly shorter but sonically similar Doc at the Radar Station. Not quite as chaotic as the aforementioned masterwork, there's still enough inspired lunacy on this terrific album--check out "Ashtray Heart," a song once performed by the Captain on Saturday Night Live (no, really)--to give you a good taste of Beefheart's weirdness.

d27779qy68l.jpg

A two song, posthumous release from Slint, whom Smashing Pumpkins would ape for most of their career (they also bit My Bloody Valentine's style, but that's for another day). Both of the songs on this EP are instrumental; they may lack the unsettling lyricism of the band's earlier albums, but no vocals--other than a spirited "1-2-3-4!" midway through the noisy "Rhoda"--allow Slint's musical prowess to the forefront. These guys could really fucking play.

Guest LooseCannon

I'll have listened to all of the following albums by the end of the day.

f45701hxdrb.jpg f61436odbe4.jpg

e07201gdwyk.jpg c0566765972.jpg

Not a great day really. I'm not terribly fond of any of these, though they all have their moments. Just getting bored with my collection and desperately needing to buy more cds soon.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

How's the Adult. album, Zorin? I haven't had much luck downloading anything off of it.