TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Serious Question...

Most of you guys know that I'm a short guy, 5'6. Now, I may seem fine with it, but the truth is that I'm extremely insecure about my height and always have been. I've been wrestling an idea as of late and I'd like your opinions.

I've been considering buying shoe lifts to make me look 2 inches taller. They're placed into any existing shoe and won't be seen by anyone unless you happen to look in the shoe itself....kinda like Jericho. Most of my friends say that I should do it, another good friend of mine thinks that it's not worth it and that my friends will just rip on me some more. So, I'm torn. They're not that expensive, but I'd have to mail order them.

What do you think?

Dames

Guest Sandman9000

Stuff your pants instead. Screw height, we all know what the ladies want.

If you do it, don't go around bragging about it. You don't want to end up like that guy on True Life who got calf implants and bragged about to everyone.

Also, if you get the lifts and meet up with a girl, think twice about wearing sandals while you're with her.

Guest Sassquatch

Is 5'8" that much taller than being 5'6"?

You are only putting band-aid on a deep gash Dames. There are people shorter than you out there that have it much worse so personally I think you should forget the lifts.

I just don't see how adding 2 more inches to your height can make that much of a difference.

Just saying.

Guest Downhome
Most of you guys know that I'm a short guy, 5'6. Now, I may seem fine with it, but the truth is that I'm extremely insecure about my height and always have been. I've been wrestling an idea as of late and I'd like your opinions.

I've been considering buying shoe lifts to make me look 2 inches taller. They're placed into any existing shoe and won't be seen by anyone unless you happen to look in the shoe itself....kinda like Jericho. Most of my friends say that I should do it, another good friend of mine thinks that it's not worth it and that my friends will just rip on me some more. So, I'm torn. They're not that expensive, but I'd have to mail order them.

What do you think?

Dames

I would not do it, but that is just me. If you do that now, and give a false sense of yourself, be assured that a day will come some time down the road when you will be shown for your true height. Now, this doesn't matter obviously if you tell eveyone about it, and you are just doing it for your own personal self. In that case, do whatever makes you happy, it's really up to you man.

May I ask why exactly you feel like you need/want to do this?

We can call you Kane Jr., following in his footsteps and all. :D ;) :D

Is 5'8" that much taller than being 5'6"?

You are only putting band-aid on a deep gash Dames. There are people shorter than you out there that have it much worse so personally I think you should forget the lifts.

I just don't see how adding 2 more inches to your height can make that much of a difference.

Just saying.

Not to sound crude, but I'm simply concerned with my height and my confidence, screw the others, you know? It's my biggest insecurity and being 5'8, in my opinion, would really make a difference to me. I hang out with a lot of 6 footers and pretty much everyone's taller than me. Think about it though, Sass....you're taken care of in that respect.

I know this may sound weird....but it just seems that taller people get more respect most of the time.

Dames

Guest Downhome

Jesus man, you make it sound like being 5'6 is the worst thing in the world. I mean, really...

..."a deep gash"?

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

Echoing Downhome, if you do it, don't try to hide it from people you know. Other than that, I say go for, I don't think it's as big a commitment as, say, wearing a toupee, and lots of people do that.

Well, I've already told most of the friends that I know on their opinion, so it's not like I'm hiding it. They'll realize it pretty quickly if they didn't know though.

Dames

Guest Downhome
Echoing Downhome, if you do it, don't try to hide it from people you know. Other than that, I say go for, I don't think it's as big a commitment as, say, wearing a toupee, and lots of people do that.

I would shave my head before I wore a toupee, I'm just saying.

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

Well, yeah, I figured the people you already know would figure it out, I meant more like if you start to get to know somebody after you've already started wearing them.

Guest RobJohnstone

i'm 5'6 and I don;t have any problems. Fuck what people think. When you start catering to other people then you are not being true to yourself.

--Rob

Guest Sassquatch
Not to sound crude, but I'm simply concerned with my height and my confidence, screw the others, you know? It's my biggest insecurity and being 5'8, in my opinion, would really make a difference to me. I hang out with a lot of 6 footers and pretty much everyone's taller than me. Think about it though, Sass....you're taken care of in that respect.

By the sounds of it Dames it seems like you have already made your mind up on the matter.

I know this may sound weird....but it just seems that taller people get more respect most of the time.

Bullshit.

I was the tallest kid growing up and I was looked at as a damn freak. I didn't even have a girlfriend until my Sophmore year of high school and that turned into a disaster for me emotionally. Guys everywhere wanted to "prove themselves" and try to kick my ass just because I was the "big white giant." I was suspended numerous times for fighting along with getting arrested by the local authority's. I couldn't go anywhere without people looking at me and staring along with pointing fingers and whispering. Mother's would have these dumbfounded looks on their faces while their boyfriend's or husbands thought about sizing me up for a fight. My parents are uncomfortable around me whenever I come over to their house and my mother refuses to stand next to me or even at a nearby distance. My dad resented the fact that I was taller than he was which manifested itself into jealousy that still continues to this day. My kid brother is scared of me and refuses to "joke" with me for the fear of me kicking his ass which would never happen. My best friends are all intimidated by my size which makes it hard to joke around with them and has led to some ackward moments. Little children cry sometimes when I walk into a store and simply glance at them.

In my lifetime I have seen more guys who are short get some of the hottest pussy I have ever seen and each time I saw that happen it did chip away at my psyche. I have finally found inner peace within myself in regards to my size and I am proud of who I am today. But it was not easy to come to terms with my "difference" and I had many moments of self doubt in whether or not I could deal with it.

Being big isn't all it is cracked up to be Dames.

Guest NYCTA Bus No. PA1767

Height doesn't matter anymore, well, not around here anyway. I guess because aside from my graduating class, the average height per student is less and less each year. I remember the days when I thought ninth graders were bruisers, but now I'm seeing thse Mouseskateers coming into the school and having the fine girls swoon over them while I'm struggling to get a girl "I'd fuck if I was drunk." Oh well. Being skinny is worse than being short IMO.

Guest Sassquatch
Jesus man, you make it sound like being 5'6 is the worst thing in the world. I mean, really...

..."a deep gash"?

In this regards, the deep gash I mentioned is the lack of self esteem in himself while thinking the lifts (the band-aid) will make himself and everyone else he knows forget how tall he really is and help his self esteem.

I'm sorry you had to go through that Sass, but I never wanted to be really tall....just average.

I sometimes feel that I have to limit my options in the ladies department because a lot of them don't like short guys. Anyone 5'6 and up is almost out of my league, in my eyes.

Funny aside note: I once went to visit an all girls school with my best friend, Keith who is 6'1, to visit a friend of mine, Holly. I was trying to hook them up. She had a friend over as well, Christy, a girl who was 6'2. So, Keith and Holly kept joking about how funny it would look if Christy and I hooked up. Thinking it would never happen, I started "mock" flirting with her....and we DID hook up at the end of the night. It was REALLY weird in the morning though.

Dames

Guest MrRant

Just think of what would happen when you get with the girl and step out of your shoes and magically went from eye level to tit level.

Guest Mole

Dames, I am 5'6" also. And all I can say is that being short sucks, but that is just what FATE gave you, and your gonna have to deal with it.

Don't get shoe lifts. Just let people like you for what you are.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

I am also 5' 6"... for obscure reference.

And tall people can die quicker and have health problems. Plus, where I live, there are plenty of girls either my height or shorter.

Guest Sassquatch
I am also 5' 6"... for obscure reference.

And tall people can die quicker and have health problems. Plus, where I live, there are plenty of girls either my height or shorter.

How ironic this is coming from someone with the name Angle of Death...

My biggest concern when I grow older is whether or not I'll be able to see my grand children before I die which would be my biggest regret if I were to die before they were born.

Both of my grandfathers passed away before I was born due to various problems with sunbstance abuse and I always wondered what it could have been like to have a grandfather.

Guest Sassquatch
I'm sorry you had to go through that Sass, but I never wanted to be really tall....just average.

It's cool Dames. I'm comfortable my apperance now and have no self doubts about it. Old news if you weeeeeeeeeelllll.

Besides, being "big" does have it's advantages once the little girls grow up to be mature women and see things differently.

:P

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk
Just think of what would happen when you get with the girl and step out of your shoes and magically went from eye level to tit level.

If Dames is with a girl who has two inches between her eyes and her tits, he has more serious problems than whether or not to wear lifts.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0
And tall people can die quicker and have health problems.

Just stating a fact... damn, I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted that, Sassquatch. Sorry. (besides, keyword - *can* have. lifestyle and genetics can obviously more than cancel out that factor)

Guest Banky

Man, I'd be much crueler to someone wearing lifts than being small. I have a buddy who is that short too, but he doesn't let it get in his way. Be your own person, and matters such as height don't mean anything. I know it bothers you personally, but you just have to understand that being short is not a bad thing. Its easier to say you'll disregard insecurities than to actually do it. But really, in the long run, I'm sure being your own person and working with what God gave you will make you a more satisfied individual. Forget the lifts, and try to battle the insecurity. You won't be fooling anyone, as with the lifts you would.

Guest Retro Rob

Dames, honestly the decision is all up to you. I'm 5'10'' and I ALWAYS wanted to be at least 6', so I also considered getting lifts, but really they aren't going to help you much because you can't ALWAYS have them on. Then once you are seen without them people will ask you why you are so much shorter. So in the end, would you rather appear taller every now and then, but have to explain to people that you may get close to that you wear lifts, or would you rather just live your life the way you are now? Plus, I foundnd this great pair of Skechers that add at least an inch and a half. Fuck the lifts, just buy big shoes. :)

Seriously though, I can see where you are coming from because I have one friend that is about 5'5''-5'6'' and when we are standing next to each other the difference is very noticeable. Now if he were 5'8'' it wouldn't seem as extreme so to speak.

Guest Sassquatch
Just stating a fact... damn, I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted that, Sassquatch. Sorry. (besides, keyword - *can* have. lifestyle and genetics can obviously more than cancel out that factor)

It's okay AoD, I don't take it personally. It is a fact that people who are very tall do not live long for various reasons when compared to people of shorter stature (mostly the lack of blood getting to the heart due to the enormous size of said person).

I workout 5 days a week and I have reached a level of fitness that I am very pleased about. Currently my plan is to either enter in the World's Strongest Man competition or tryout for the LA Football Arena League team and see how I do there. My main goal is to gain about 10 more pounds of muscle and strengthen up my neck and legs which are my main concerns if I make it into the Arena League.

I'm 5'8 and I got some lifts that make me 5'10. Besides the obvious increase of height they never really did anything for me. No one noticed the sudden change of height, and when I stopped wearing them no one noticed the sudden lack of 2 inches. The same amount of girls hit on me when I was 5'10 as they did when I was 5'8. I didn't feel any more or less confident while wearing them. Actually, I felt like I was wearing high heels.

But, if you think having lifts will give you more confidence and a boost of self esteem, then you should go ahead and at least try them out.

Guest Retro Rob

If you really aren't sure, just buy them and wear them for a few days. Base your opinion on how you felt those days and take it from there.

Guest Intimacy Goblin

Shit man, don't worry about height. If you want to solve that problem buy some high heels. Then you highlight your calves as well.

And don't under estimate short people. Napoleon wasn't worried about being short. He was too busy ripping Europe a new asshole. Don't sweat the small stuff (ha!).

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Height was never an issue for me regarding other people, but then again I'm 6'1" so what do I know.

Grow 2 inches if you want, but make it other parts of your body, not your height...

Guest TheArchiteck

:lol :lol

Your serious? Your seriously thinking on wearing these lifts permantely? I'm pretty sure your friends are going to rip on you about it. If they claim they aren't going to, their lying.

Thats like a step away from ya buddies seeing a penis pump in your room.

It's not even worth the trouble man.