Jump to content

Bret Hart


Recommended Posts

Guest The Mighty Damaramu
Posted

What Pride or your question? You still haven't told us what it is Brian.

  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Downhome
Posted
The guy before Bret was fucking boring as hell with the Pride stuff.....but Bret was intresting to hear. Sounds like he really wants to come back one last time to say good bye...and I hope he does.

Do you even watch "Pride stuff"?

I don't watch Pride...but the guy they were interviewing was just boring listening too...not Pride.

Well that's understandable then, how could you even care for it if you don't even know what they are talking about?

I don't know what your point is....me watching Pride has nothing to do with it. It was the guy they were interviewing was boring. The subject could of been about anything and the guy would of made me bored.

Blah, it's no bid deal. I just mean that it's that much more likely to not find what he's talking about to be interesting, if you have no idea what he's talking about in the first place.

Guest The Mighty Damaramu
Posted

The appeal is different for some. To me it's not just two guys beating the holy hell out of each other. It's a contest to see who's been trained better, who's worked harder, and who has the better style.

Guest Slapnuts00
Posted

I think 2 guys beat the shit out of each other to draw blood and break each other's bones is pretty barbaric and the fact that people wouldn't be uncomfotable watching it is a little hard to comprehend. It's certainly different than pro wrestling (or even boxing which at least has some protection and rules) that's for sure...

Posted

Pride.

 

I was going to ask Meltzer to expand on Goldberg's rep in the ring. I found something about Storm complaining backstage, but it's Storm.

Guest RavishingRickRudo
Posted

I found Quatros entertaining to listen to, so it must be the subject matter.

 

After all, if there is an engaging convo between to astrophysicists talking about a new star cluster formation and how it effects a nearby nebula, I - an non-astrophysicist would be left in the dark and consider it boring, yet someone like stephen hawking would be moving along right with it and most likely enjoying it.

 

As for Bret - I can't wait for his DVD to come out. (Oh it's a given)

Guest RavishingRickRudo
Posted

I love MMA. There are so many reasons why. If you just see it as 'two guys punching each other' that's just like someone calling wrestling 'two guys in underwear hitting each other with chairs' > there is so much more.

Posted
I think 2 guys beat the shit out of each other to draw blood and break each other's bones is pretty barbaric and the fact that people wouldn't be uncomfotable watching it is a little hard to comprehend. It's certainly different than pro wrestling (or even boxing which at least has some protection and rules) that's for sure...

I find that as a really naive view, since most of the guys don't try to hurt each other to that point because, like in pro wrestling, they understand how people make money. Most fights are more than just people belting the hell out of each other because trading bombs is very vicious and takes alot out of the fighters. Especially when you consider it's a bare fist elbow, or kick to the jaw. I find them to be entertaining because there's generally alot of strategy and other intangibles involved. Like comparisons of styles, strategy towards a win, avoiding certain fighter's strengths and exposing weaknesses, working at a fighter, and the violence is just apart of that.

Guest Slapnuts00
Posted

That's not what I mean, Im not saying it's boring, Im saying its brutal and barbaric which personally makes me uncomfotable. I'm watching this thing on HBO and I just one guy corner the other and just start bashing his face and blood come pouring out, I mean I can't find much entertainment in that. Wrestling isn't brutal or barbaric since theyre working together not to hurt each other too bad...

EDIT: hey differnet stuff for different folks. Watch what you like, Im just saying me personally who never had seen this stuff before is not gonna be a fan that's for sure...

Posted

Eight or nine out of ten fights aren't that barbaric. It's a gross generalization of the sport.

Guest Slapnuts00
Posted

Ok! I'm not attacking it, this is just an outsider's view I guess. I'm allowed to dislike it just as much as you're alowed to like it. Now back to something we can all agree on...Bret! :-)

Guest RavishingRickRudo
Posted

You arent allowed to dislike it. It's such a beautiful sport that it deserves appreciation from everyone.

Posted

If you actually watch it and consider alot of the things about it understand what's happening, it has alot more appeal just like wrestling.

Guest RavishingRickRudo
Posted

I can't imagine someone who is pro-team angle would be against MMA since amateur wrestling is a major part of a fight.

Guest Slapnuts00
Posted

I'm trying to state my opinions on this as fairly as possible. I'm giving it a chance here and I'm not comfortable watching these guys brutalizing each other with hard unprotected shots it makes me flinch and look away.

Let me make it very clear...

-I never have said I don't think anyone should like it or watch it. You all are fans, Great! I am not, and I don't understand why I have to be.

-Me liking Team Angle because they are entertaining pro wrestling personalities and are talented pro wrestlers doesn't mean I should like Pride. Just because there are elements of wrestling, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other elelements that I don't like.

-Now can we please drop this and get back to Bret!

Guest RavishingRickRudo
Posted

Just wondering, how much MMA have you seen?

 

Um, Bret was a really...good... wrestler.

Guest Slapnuts00
Posted

I haven't all I've seen is on this HBO special and from that I can safely tell I don't want to see anymore.

Why do you all care so much? Why is it so important to you? What law says if you're a pro wrestling fan you have to like pride too. They might be similar but theyre also different. Everyone has different tastes. Like in pro wrestling there are different style matches. Does everyone HAVE to like spotfests or long sumbission matches? No some are fans of one or the other, or like both.

I'm starting to get pissed defending myself for no reason here. These guys can smash each other's jaws in all they like, I don't want to see it. It's excessive and violent IN MY OPINION, no matter what style is involved! Now move on! Please! Lets just agree to disagree!

Posted

But still, you're making a generalization based on one match and that's where the problem is. There are countless other matches that aren't that violent, that are strategic ground or grappling based matches. Eight or nine of every ten matches is hardly what I'd call as brutal as pro wrestling or boxing. The sport doesn't have nearly the death rate or serious injury rate of either.

Guest RavishingRickRudo
Posted

Why do you all care so much? Why is it so important to you

 

I am doing this for your benefit. Mixed Martial Arts is the ultimate sport IMO, the way it has evolved over the past decade and the past century have totally revolutionized the fighting world. Great MMA fights equal pro wrestling matches in drama and story (yes, in story) and are equally as satisfying. You are really missing out on a whole new world if you stop right now and let your preconceptions dominate your view of the sport.

 

What law says if you're a pro wrestling fan you have to like pride too. They might be similar but theyre also different.

 

When you start to appreciate MMA and the striking, takedowns and submissions you will notice a heightened interest when that stuff applies to wrestling. Like watching the amateur stuff Angle does, when you look at it from a Pro wrestling standpoint, it's really nice but you dont get the full appreciation that you would if you look at it from an amateur wrestling or mixed martial art standpoint. Shit, when I watch movies now and there is like a bar brawl or something I am like "GO FOR THE ARM! ARM BAR! TRIANGLE! KEYLOCK! AAAAAAAAAGH!

 

I'm starting to get pissed defending myself for no reason here. These guys can smash each other's jaws in all they like, I don't want to see it. It's excessive and violent IN MY OPINION, no matter what style is involved! Now move on! Please! Lets just agree to disagree

 

I don't agree to that because you are cutting yourself off because of a false notion that MMA is a brutal, barbaric sport when in reality it is a human game of chess where styles blend together and strategy is key. I won't deny that there is a primal value in it - I love the striking and the bombs and the blood and the knockouts - but I equally get off on takedowns, submissions and escapes. There is so much about MMA that can appeal to the pro wrestling fan that I personally think it can be transferrable for most (if not all) on this board. It's just there are certain things holding people back from getting into it.

Guest TheHulkster
Posted

If Bret did want to make one final appearance to say goodbye to the fans, the Raw X special would be the perfect place to do it. He wouldn't be part of a storyline and he wouldn't really be under a big obligation to come back. It's all up to Bret I guess.

 

I really enjoyed "The Smashing Machine" and when it comes on again tomorrow after Raw, i'm definitely going to tape it. My MMA viewing has been limited to mostly UFC and very few Pride fights (Bob Sapp fights mostly), but I certainly want to see more of Pride now.

Guest Army Eye
Posted
I think 2 guys beat the shit out of each other to draw blood and break each other's bones is pretty barbaric and the fact that people wouldn't be uncomfotable watching it is a little hard to comprehend. It's certainly different than pro wrestling (or even boxing which at least has some protection and rules) that's for sure...

Boxing is much more dangerous than MMA.

Guest geniusMoment
Posted

The reason Bret said he hasn't agreed to the farewell speech yet is because he feels the fans wouldn't want to listen to some farewell speech by Bret with no angle to it. I have an idea just do it in Calgary, the fans would go wild even if there was no extra angle and the speech was it.

If he doesn't want it to be for ratings don't announce it just have the last 20 minutes of the program be his. I know I would mark out if at 10:40 I heard the screeching guitar.

Guest Respect The 'Taker
Posted
I would mark out if at 10:40 I heard the screeching guitar.

You'd JUST mark out? I think i'd prematurely ejaculate

Guest snuffbox
Posted

What would you all like to see on a Bret Hart dvd? About all Id care to see again from his WCW days are the Souled Out match with Flair and the Benoit match from Nitro. Fromm WWF the list seems limitless.

 

Any discussion? Maybe this should be a new thread, what with this being more of a Pride debate ;)

Guest EternallyLazy
Posted

Waaaaay too much to mention fully, but I think it would be great if they included some of his pre - WWF stuff from Stampede... I would LOVE to see a few of the Bret Hart vs. Dynamite Kid matches, including a ladder match that I've read about

Posted
I think 2 guys beat the shit out of each other to draw blood and break each other's bones is pretty barbaric and the fact that people wouldn't be uncomfotable watching it is a little hard to comprehend. It's certainly different than pro wrestling (or even boxing which at least has some protection and rules) that's for sure...

Boxing is much more dangerous than MMA.

Very true. In any MMA, you're only going to ber able to take so many bare-fisted strikes whereas in boxing your brains going to be dancing around in your skull fifty times a night.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...