TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Benoit-Angle: Another match of the year candidate

Benoit-Angle: Another match of the year candidate

by Phil Speer

BOSTON – Jan. 19, 2003 – What can be said that hasn’t been said already about Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit?

The two Superstars have seemingly done it all, against each other and as a tag team. Their match at Unforgiven last September in Los Angeles was a match of the year candidate. And so was their battle tonight at the Royal Rumble.

“My goal was to steal the show,” said Angle, who retained the WWE Championship. “I think we did it.”

Besides the customary beet-red chest that any Superstar gets when he wrestled Benoit, Angle said he was feeling fine after the match. It was Angle’s first contest since before he had anthroscopic surgery on his right knee, which he said was a bit sore and swollen after the match, but pretty good, all things considered.

“What a way to start back,” he said. “A 25-minute match with Chris Benoit. Could it have been better? Yeah, but then you’d be nit-picking.”

That said, Angle proceeded to nit-pick: “If I had a little more wind, I could have shown a little more emotion and my moves would have been crispier.”

He also said the knee brace he has been wearing slows him down a half step. “The fans might not notice, but I do,” he said.

Angle and Benoit, of course, are their own worst critics. Nit-picking aside, both Superstars were thrilled with their performance tonight. And the fans and fellow Superstars were saw no need to nit-pick. The Superstars gave both Benoit and Angle a standing ovation. Fans gave Benoit the same after the match.

“I really get goose bumps thinking about it,” Benoit said, extending his arm to show the goose bumps. “It’s a very good feeling to have the fans appreciate what I love – what I really love – doing. The ovation the fans gave me today was very meaningful. Those are the moments that make the hair on the back on your neck stand up. That’s a moment I’ll never forget.”

Like Angle, Benoit said he was feeling the usual post-match bump, bruises, aches and pains. But nothing seemed to be torn or broken – including his surgically repaired neck, which he continues to stretch and exercises, as he did when he was rehabilitating it, even though he has full medical clearance. The condition of his neck was no doubt on many fans’ minds when Benoit delivered an electrifying top-rope headbutt onto Angle, who was seemingly all the way on the other side of the ring.

“When I got up (to the top rope) and looked, I didn’t realize he was so far away,” Benoit said. “So I just went for it.”

Comparing tonight’s match with their battle at Unforgiven, Angle said, “Story-wise, it was a little better. Technique-wise, it was not as good.”

Benoit said he doesn’t compare his matches, but he was proud of tonight’s effort.

“I’d say most of my meaningful matches I’ve had with Kurt – meaningful meaning for a title or a contendership or something like that – are on a pedestal,” he said. “I’m proud to be competing against a great athlete like Kurt. I’ve got a lot of respect for him as an athlete.”

The respect is mutual. Said Angle, “Chris Benoit is the best wrestler in WWE.”

Guest snuffbox

“Chris Benoit is the best wrestler in WWE.”

Too bad thats the opinion of Kurt Angle, not Paul Levesque. ;)

Guest Anglesault

"Another match of the year candidate?"

What the hell is it up against right now? Dawn/Torrie.

And yes, I realize that he means that these two have a MotYC every year.

Guest HartFan86
“I really get goose bumps thinking about it,” Benoit said, extending his arm to show the goose bumps. “It’s a very good feeling to have the fans appreciate what I love – what I really love – doing. The ovation the fans gave me today was very meaningful. Those are the moments that make the hair on the back on your neck stand up. That’s a moment I’ll never forget.”

Well, Chris, you deserved it. It gave me goosebumps standing with the other fans at the Fleet Center giving Benoit a standing ovation cause you'd NEVER see that outside of Canada and it just proved that Boston fans do appreciate wrestling.

Guest CheesalaIsGood

The match fucking ruled it. Even with a hostile crowd after the horseshit that was HHH vs Steiner... Angle and Benoit found a way to get the crowd back in the mood. MOTYC? Why not? At least Anglesault can't bitch about Angle being portrayed as a goof anymore. Maybe he could complain about how "the criowd sat on its hands the whole match". Go ahead... try... c'mon.

Pfft... too bad that HHH isn't even on Benoit and Angle's show. Bad argument there, since they aren't going to the lockerroom from hell right now.

And the standing ovation means a LOT to their careers, especially Benoit's.

So no one associated with HHH is in a top position on SmackDown? Face it, Angle and Benoit made HHH's match (while not his fault) look like complete shit, and he probably could blame Steiner, but it's easier for him to take it out on two obviously more talented wrestlers.

Guest EricMM
And the standing ovation means a LOT to their careers, especially Benoit's.

Anyone who doubts that need only look at the elevation of the Hardy Boyz and Edge and Christian after their Terri Runnels Invitational blowoff when all four got a standing ovation, and subsequantly both teams have been raised up the card etc.

I just hope that the WWE realizes which superstars got standing ovations last night, and why. I realize that they can't REALLY fault HHH for Steiners lack of ability, but they can sure as hell fault BPP.

They also need to figure out why he got the ratings when he did. Was it because he had the biggest arms in the world? Or was it because FINALLY someone looked to be on HHH's level (something that hasn't happened since the Rock and SCSA left)

I just now finally saw this match. WOW! I'd say its my favorite of the Benoit/Angle matches... especially how Benoit came off looking like a superstar despite losing. Great stuff all around, and the Boston crowd also kicks ass mightily.

Guest Daddy X

Being in the crowd was just a moment. Especially yelling at the top of my lungs for everyone in my section to stand up and clap. I also had the goosebumps that Benoit spoke of. The match wasn't sports entertainment... It was pure unselfish love for wrestling, and it definatly saved the show.

Guest Jack Tunney

Damn,I gotta see this match.Is it better than their WM XVII match? Do you think Vince will take the hint that the 2 hosses get booed out of the building and the 2 wrestlers get a standing ovation?

Guest HHHater

I think it was their best match yet, and I was at the Reliant Astrodome to see their first encounter live. Scott Keith only made one error in his Royal Rumble rant: his rating of Angle vs. Benoit was 1/4* short. It was an easy ***** match in my book.

Guest Anglesault

Cheesala, I think Angle is cemented. The problem is that they've built Brock up to the point where no one can look like they could beat him. But put Angle up against any other ME, and it's a toss up. Mission Accomplished.

Guest ManKinnd

I've got no problem giving it *****. If you care, here's my ratings for all their "big" contests:

WMX7: ****3/4

Cage: ****1/2

Submission: ***1/2

2/3 falls JD: ****

2/3 falls: ****1/4

Unforgiven: ****1/2

RR: *****

Guest HHHater

I agree that the Ultimate Submissions match was definitely their worst outing. But I would only give their first match from X7 **** 1/4. I felt that it wasn't given enough time, and that it ended kind of abruptly with a weak finish.

Guest Insane Bump Machine
Damn,I gotta see this match.Is it better than their WM XVII match? Do you think Vince will take the hint that the 2 hosses get booed out of the building and the 2 wrestlers get a standing ovation?

Up until now the WM XVII one was my favourite match in their series. Last night's match was on par with that most of the time, but it was longer and had an amazing, clean finish. So yeah, it was better than the WM XVII match. I've never seen the Unforgiven match, though. I need to track that down.

Guest EternallyLazy

In my opinion, their Unforgiven match is the best of the series, and one of the best matches I've ever seen as far as straight wrestling is concerned. Last night's match was awesome, but they didn't really start smoking until halfway through the match... but the emotion at the end makes up for it