TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jobber of the Week

Can something be done to handle board traffic?

Guest Jobber of the Week

It seems that all it takes is about 100 people posting and browsing to kill the forums anymore. This is a combination of the amount of people on the forums and the amount of processor the forums take to use. A way needs to be found to balance forum traffic and the amount of CPU being guzzled by the forums themselves:

Therefore, some suggestions:

Removing some of the more CPU-busy processes of the board: Does anyone need that Who's Online thing under the forum listing anyway? Searching for posts is a valuable feature, but it DOES take up a lot of CPU.

Making some money to buy better hardware for the board: Another thing could be if Dames set up a PayPal account and charged modest fees for some things. Some guys around here change their custom titles at the drop of a hat. Perhaps a couple bucks to change your title will keep him from going broke and maybe even afford some better equipment?

A combination of the two: I don't know if we have any code monkeys here, or how customizable the forums are, but perhaps new accounts could not come with CPU-heavy features like searching for posts, but a donation can enable it on your account?

I'm just trying to think of some ways here that could keep the board churning while not enforcing that people give money to sign up and post (which would scare people away and kill the community pretty quickly, of course.) The site sometimes curls it's toes for 10 minutes or so during peak hours for me and if there's a particularly hot Raw or PPV thread going, forget about it. <_<

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I WANT to give TSM money. Set up a way like Ezboard does so I can send you money.

Damn it Damian I want to help!!

*is so kind it hurts*

Guest Jobber of the Week

P.S.: Big thanks for running the forums for us. Yay TSM crew. :) I don't want this post to make it sound like I'm complaining or ungrateful with what we already have.

However, now I see how people accidentally doublepost threads. Heh.

Guest Jobber of the Week

I swear there was a reply here earlier today but the board was having trouble. I guess it got nuked. :ph34r:

Guest DrTom

Ok, a couple things:

1. I have suggested using the Amazon Honor System, which is a completely voluntary way for people to contribute money to the site. Since this is Dames' baby, it's his call whether he wants to use it, but having asked a few people, I think we'd definitely find some contributors. I used it at my former website and never had one problem with it. Even if a dozen people give $5 a month, that adds up pretty quickly.

2. The reason the board (and the site, sometimes) runs slow and craps out on people is the memory. The server company discovered we had twice the memory we were paying for, so instead of giving us the option of paying for it, they pulled it. All the slowdowns have happened since then. The memory IS getting added back in. There's no exact timeframe for this, but it has been ordered, and all I know is it could take "up to 7 business days." Considering that it takes 5 minutes to add memory to a PC -- and 4 of them involve getting the PC's case on and off -- that seems like a long time, but then again, I've never run a server farm.

Guest MrRant
I WANT to give TSM money. Set up a way like Ezboard does so I can send you money.

*is so kind it hurts*

Give me money! Call it a monthly dues to be a mod.

Guest bob_barron

Give ME money!!! I mean- come on- that best of Regal tape I reviewed had to be worth like $10 or something. Right??

Guest cobainwasmurdered

*is so kind it hurts*

Give me money! Call it a monthly dues to be a mod.

Bah!

Your not the one with server problems.

but if Smarktalk ever needs it I could chip in.

CWM- cashcow

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Give ME money!!! I mean- come on- that best of Regal tape I reviewed had to be worth like $10 or something. Right??

Bob. You actually think I READ your reviews?

Guest Retro Rob

CWM, give ME money...... just because we're such great buds. :comfort:

Shut up, it was the best smiley I could find to fit the situation.

GUYS...GUYS..GUYS!!

I'm going to set up a system soon where you can all contribute money to help pay for the new server costs, sometime in the next week or so.

Dames

Guest cobainwasmurdered
CWM, give ME money...... just because we're such great buds. :comfort:

Shut up, it was the best smiley I could find to fit the situation.

I'll have my Henchman slip you a few bucks.

*waits for spiderpoet to get out his wallet*

Guest areacode212

I turned off the "Show Active Users" thing for now...we'll see if it speeds things up a bit.

Guest treble charged

The board looks empty now. I think CWM's constant multiple posting was more the problem than anything else. Someone needs to learn him how to use a computer.

Guest bob_barron

How will I know when TC is about to make one of his gay posts????

HOW?????

Guest bob_barron

You know what I think would make the board run faster??

MORE MODS!!! WE NEED MORE MODS OMG MODS R00L!

Guest cobainwasmurdered
The board looks empty now. I think CWM's constant multiple posting was more the problem than anything else. Someone needs to learn him how to use a computer.

If we got rid of every post you made making fun of me you'd never have posted.

Guest bob_barron

In all seriousness though- if there is someone trolling and we want to pm a mod- how can we do this if we don't know whose on.

In fairness CWM- you technically only have 5,154 posts

Guest cobainwasmurdered

That's not true Bob and you know it...but whatever.

And we DO need more mods

Guest bob_barron

::this somehow worked for TC last time::

I think this whole we need more mods debate is stupid. We have enough mods- we do not need anymore.

Guest DrTom
I mean- come on- that best of Regal tape I reviewed had to be worth like $10 or something. Right??

If only for your pain, suffering, and emotional trauma at having to watch a whole tape of Regal sucking up the joint, sure. But since you chose to inflict that torture upon yourself, I won't be shelling out one red cent.

Guest bob_barron

::lays out Dr. Tom with brass knux::

This tape had Regal v. Flair, Regal v. Hashimoto and of course-

REGAL V. DUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides- it's $10 CANADIAN- that's nothing American.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Not board traffic related, (I didn't feel like starting a new thread) but the clock is running like 10 minutes behind..

Also, I'll consider donating some money to the fund..