TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Scott Kieth on the WWE

For those not familiar with his work, "NetHog" Scott Keith is a Canadian millionaire and philanthropist who has written extensively on professional wrestling for a number of years, including the runaway Number 1 bestselling "The Buzz on Pro Wrestling", which has now been translated into over three languages. Keith is a knowledgable historian, a shrewd critic, and a prose stylist of somewhere near the highest order. High recommendation to both the wrestling fanatic and the clueless putz alike.

I just found that quote at amazon, when searching for Scott Kieths new book. Honestly ... im not making it up ... honest! :)

I've always liked reading his reviews, but I've read a whole load of negative stuff about him on this forum. It seems that anyone who think they are Smart, hates Scott Kieth.

So what is the real deal with him? I read here, that in real lif he was an over weight electrical store manager, but that quote paints a very different picture.

For those of you that have been 'Smart' and knowledgeable about the wrestling business, longer than myself: How did Scott Kieth get big in terms of reviewing wrestling and writting books? Also, what is his job, and how does he know a great deal about pro-wrestling.

Finally, has anyone read his book? And is it worth picking up?

ChUnK!

Guest bob_barron

His first book sucked- it was pretty inaccurate.

I maybe getting a free copy of his next book.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I don't know his backstory but I have read his first book. It was alright. It was really more of a starter guide to what's what and who's who in pro wrestling.

I'm looking forward to his new book because I enjoy his rants even though I rarely agree with his match ratings.

His first book sucked- it was pretty inaccurate.

I maybe getting a free copy of his next book.

How did you manage that? Are you reviewing it for a site or something?

As far as his rants go, I quite like them, but he is very biased towards Benoit and Canadian wrestlers. Also, I dont get why he defends the WWE in terms of hating the Indy's, but is the first person to slag off anything the WWE do?

ChUnK!

Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

I just don't like anybody who has two first names in their name.

Guest bob_barron

I write for 411 and I emailed his publisher about a copy. If I get a free copy I'll give it a little shoutout in one of my tape reviews

I write for 411 and I emailed his publisher about a copy. If I get a free copy I'll give it a little shoutout in one of my tape reviews

Oh right, I see. Do you get paid for writting for 411? What coloumn do you write?

ChUnK!

Guest Mole

I like reading his reviews also. He knows a lot about wrestling, even though I don't always agree with him.

Does anyone get paid for writting for 411 then? Your post kind of hints that they do.

As for caring about Scott Keith, isn't it kind of obvious that someone must care? Surely, otherwise, he wouldn't be as 'big' as he is?

ChUnK!

Guest saturnmark4life

I seem to agree with him most of the time, but I mark out for just SEEING some guys, which he doesn't. Course, I don't watch every week, so I'd probably get tired of them doing the same 2 minute crap all the time, but nowinski, snow and dreamer are all favourites of mine so I find raw tolerable at least.

Guest Jack Tunney

I remember when Scott used to make fun of the UT's wife by calling her Sarah Horseface.And maybe she's not the best looking woman in the world,but I'd love to see the women Scott gets. Plus he used to make fun of Mark Madden for being fat,like Scott should talk.

Guest Pegasus Kid
Does anyone get paid for writting for 411 then? Your post kind of hints that they do.

We don't get paid at 411. Some of the writers (like myself) use the exposure from the tape reviews to draw in customers for tape purchases on their websites though.

I remember when Scott used to make fun of the UT's wife by calling her Sarah Horseface.And maybe she's not the best looking woman in the world,but I'd love to see the women Scott gets. Plus he used to make fun of Mark Madden for being fat,like Scott should talk.

That what im talking about. Is he a fat electrical store manager, or is he a rich millionairre from Canada that has written extensively on pro-wrestling etc?

People slag him of and say he's fat etc. But where did you get that info from? have yuo ever seen him?

We don't get paid at 411. Some of the writers (like myself) use the exposure from the tape reviews to draw in customers for tape purchases on their websites though.

I see. Thanks. How did you get your 'job' there then?

ChUnK!

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I've been reading him ever since he was a moderator for RSPW way back. I can't really tell you how he got big, but it started around the time he and Sean Shannon started Rantsylvania. He was basically nothing before he got the Thunder & PPV job at Wrestlemaniacs.

Guest Big McLargeHuge

I've never had any problems with Keith's writing. At times it seems too cynical and he seems bored but then again, I mostly read his RAW rants. I'd say it's justified.

I don't really agree with his opinions but his rants are fun to read. Don't really get why people give him such a hard time.

I've never had any problems with Keith's writing. At times it seems too cynical and he seems bored but then again, I mostly read his RAW rants. I'd say it's justified.

I don't really agree with his opinions but his rants are fun to read. Don't really get why people give him such a hard time.

No I dont get it either. He is incredibly biased towards Benoit and Canadian wrestlers though.

ChUnK!

Guest Big McLargeHuge
People slag him of and say he's fat etc. But where did you get that info from? have yuo ever seen him?

Judas (remember him?)from the old Smark board had a picture of Keith as his avatar for awhile. It wasn't pretty.

Then again, I'm no supermodel...yet. :P

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I agree with Big.

Keith writes an entertaining piece IMO. I may not always agree with what he says...but he usually says it entertaining enough.

Guest Sturgis

I've seen him(from a photo) and yes he is fat, but, more of a stiff fat not like the butterball that Mark Madden is.

I like his reviews and he has gave me a different perspective on wrestlers and wrestling in general.

Guest Jobber of the Week

The guy isn't worth your time.

He seems to think that if HE thinks a match isn't worth HIS time, then it's not worth yours either. I've enjoyed many a one-star and DUD match before. They may not be match of the year stuff, but the ones I'm thinking of have always been thrilling enough to keep me watching.

His snowflakes go all over the place though. With Eddy Guererro, anything less than *** seems to be a bad match. While with a guy like Booker T or Hurricane, ** is "a good match" and anything above is higher. Then with hosses, a half-star suddently becomes a good match. WTF? I know he's trying to say his expectations are low, but I can't figure out if the flakes are all supposed to be relative to each other or not.

Guest bob_barron

Chunk-

411 had an open call audtion for tape reviewers and they took me.

That's how I got hired.

Judas was great- he was so funny

Guest RickyChosyu

Kieth is not a historian. Kieth knows about what he's been alive to see, and that's it. I don't consider someone a historian if they're only knowledgable about what they've grown up watching.

Second, his thoughts on work and match quality are worthless, because he never supports anything he says. "Because I said so" should be added after every review he does because that's the general attitude he seems to write with.

His thoughts on the current wrestling business are similar. He rarely goes into detail about what a company should do to correct itself. He tells the reader "what works" and "what doesn't" but rarely does he explain why.

Generally, Kieth being a "writer" is a joke. He's a fan who happens to think he knows enough to be important and funny enough to read. Some may agree, but I don't.