TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

FF7, FF8, and FF9 PS2 remakes?

I read a while back in PSM that they were going to make PS2 remakes of FF7, FF8, and FF9. I'm not subscribed to any game magazines at the moment, so I'm wondering if Square is still going to do this?

Guest razazteca

did FF1 remake ever come out in USA? as for the other ones I think its a Japan only project.

Guest EQ

I read on IGN that FF1 and the Japanese FF2 are coming out for PS1 soon. (if they're not out already)

Guest The Man in Blak

*nods*

I think the FF1-FF2 remakes are coming out as Final Fantasy Origins for the PS1...though I haven't heard a date.

Guest EQ

Yeah, I think that's what they're calling it. Should be cool for old school FF fans. They're putting in new CG cut scenes and crap

Guest razazteca

I can't wait for FF1 Orgins, I already have Chronicles and enjoyed the extras which were minimal and did not hurt the game at all.

Guest KoR Fungus

FF Origins is probably the game I'm looking forward to most this year. FF1 was the game that got me hooked on RPGs and probably the console game that I spent the most time playing, and having it with 16 bit graphics and cutscenes is a dream come true. And I've never even played FF2, so obviously I'm looking forward to that. I loved FFA and FFC, and if Square wants to keep remaking old RPGs, that's good with me. I'd love to see FF6 or FF7 with modern graphics, that would be very cool. I'd also like them to bring FF3 over here. Maybe bundle it with Secret of Mana or something. I don't care about FF8 or FF9 remakes, because I didn't like the originals.

Guest chirs3

FFVII remake, sign me up.

FFVIII remake... the original was bad enough, we don't need any more of it.

FFIX was really good, I thought, but it doesn't need a remake.

Guest The Man in Blak
I'd also like them to bring FF3 over here. Maybe bundle it with Secret of Mana or something.

Or, even better, how about an actual english translation of Seiken Densetsu 3?

Guest Lightning Flik

I read somewhere on RPGamer that Square canned the remakes of FF7, 8, 9 after re-evaluation period that they had about sometime in mid autum.

This was announced when Square was asked about any other FF game getting a sequel but Square is saying that if they get the right story together they might make a sequel to 7. Which would totally kill...

And I got this all from RPGamer... I'm not sure where to find out this info (links to the stories), if you need me to find it.

How is 7 better than 8? I played both, but got bored with 7 quickly. Besides that, Eyes on Me almost brought tears to my eyes at the end movie when we thought Squall was dead. *sniffle*

I'm guessing it's the too-romantic theme that annoyed most. Or the Junction? The Junction is like the Blitzball game in X...once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

Guest Renegade

With the exception of origins, I really dont need any FF remakes, I would be much happier if square made some new games rather than just update old ones.

Guest chirs3

How is 7 better than 8? I played both, but got bored with 7 quickly. Besides that, Eyes on Me almost brought tears to my eyes at the end movie when we thought Squall was dead. *sniffle*

I'm guessing it's the too-romantic theme that annoyed most. Or the Junction? The Junction is like the Blitzball game in X...once you get the hang of it, it's fun.

All Final Fantasy games are better than VIII.

-- Junction system made the game WAAAAAAY too easy.

-- Level up system (enemies level up as you do) also made the game WAAAAAAAAAAAY too easy. No joke: My first time through, I got to Ultemecia's castle with Squall at 1500 HP, everyone else at 1000, NO SPELLS JUNCTIONED. Because I sucked, all the enemies sucked.

-- Squall sucked as a main character.

-- Forgettable music. Aside from Liberi Fatali, the card game music, and a few bars of "Eyes on Me", there's nothing in that game worth remembering.

-- SQUALL HAVE TWO ANIMATION! CHOP AIR! SQUALL MAD! HAND IN FACE! SQUALL EMBARASSED! Final Fantasies before this one and after this one had characters visually express emotion better than this game.

-- GF's infinitely summonable, and took up WAY too much time (other games just took up TOO much time).

-- Rinoa is an ugly name.

-- Severe lack of Chocobos and Moogles.

-- Seifer was wasted as the sub-sub villain. He so needed to be higher up the food chain.

-- There was no real villain til the last 5 minutes of the game.

-- Plot twists, all... two of them... fell so flat, I just didn't care.

I say "Sign me up" for an FF7 remake because it was good (not the best), and would actually benefit greatly from a remake.

If they do make PS2 remakes of FF7/FF8, I don't think add anything to it....just better graphics.

Most all in-game music isn't worth remembering. Not the key words 'most' folks..that doesn't mean all. Still, I was dumb enough to by the FF8 Soundtrack.... well, it's good for BG music.

Kinda side note here....Just what is the translation for FFX's "Hymn of the Faith"? And is that Latin, like Liberali Fatali, or Japanese?

Guest chirs3
If they do make PS2 remakes of FF7/FF8, I don't think add anything to it....just better graphics.

I would assume the remake for FF7 would include updated graphics, better writing [the translation was pretty bad, the first time around], new and/or improved musical score, and I'd be willing to bet a ton of extra stuff - new spells, maybe a new optional character, alternate ending, new minigames in the arcade. There's enough there to make it worthwhile.

Guest Dace59

It's true.

Kingdom Hearts 2, if it will ever be released will not be until 2005, after all the FF remakes are done.

And with rumours that the big staff members don't like each other, it'll probably just get done, and be a Japanese only realase.

Oh, and there will be NO information on KH2 they say.

All the info is in the KH:FM secert ending. They say for now.

Guest Renegade

Im assuming that Kingdom hearts Final mix will never be released outside Japan then.

Guest Dace59

Nope.

The secert ending is of course on the Net and Kazaa though.

And no, no one knows what it means or understands it at all.

Guest The Shocker

I would buy a PS2 for a remake for FF7. Since it was one of my favorite games of all time. I still cry when I play it to this day.

Guest KoR Fungus

Well, FF7 would benefit *hugely* from a graphics upgrade, because it's one of those early polygon games that just looks hideous by today's standards. I'd say that it's probably the ugliest game in the series, just because the characters look so bad. They'd probably also update the FMV and add new cinema, and an updated/corrected translation is also a given. And like chirs was saying, there will probably be a good amount of extra stuff, although I wouldn't be 100% sure about that since they didn't add any in game stuff to FF4, FF5, FF6 or CT. Bah.

-- SQUALL HAVE TWO ANIMATION! CHOP AIR! SQUALL MAD! HAND IN FACE! SQUALL EMBARASSED! Final Fantasies before this one and after this one had characters visually express emotion better than this game.

That struck me as incredibly funny. Gotta go clean the Coke off my monitor now.

-- GF's infinitely summonable, and took up WAY too much time (other games just took up TOO much time).

Yeah the GF's being summonable did make battles WAY to drawn out for me. Can't believe they didn't have a shortcut option like in X.

-- Seifer was wasted as the sub-sub villain. He so needed to be higher up the food chain.

Agreed. Seifer could've been a bitter angry badass. Instead he's a pansy that Squall beat the crap out of on several occassions. I will disagree on Squall though. I like the fact that he wasn't Mr. Cheerful. The fact that we never really found out WHY he was such a jackass was somewhat disconcerting though (unless it was the big scene when they find the orphanage they were all at. It's been a while I can't remember everything).

The whole point was that he wasn't a very emotional guy.

Agreed. Seifer could've been a bitter angry badass. Instead he's a pansy that Squall beat the crap out of on several occassions.

Sounds like a few feuds in WWE....

The fact that we never really found out WHY he was such a jackass was somewhat disconcerting though (unless it was the big scene when they find the orphanage they were all at. It's been a while I can't remember everything).

We did find out, actually. Something like 'Sis' (Ellone..is that her name?) left the orphanage and Squall liked her most of all. I'm guessing he looked up to her as a mother figure or something. He was always vying for her attention. Anyway, when she left, he decided he would be the best at whatever he did. So, I'm guessing, he thought that if he was the best, then she'd come back. Of course, those are kid feelings, but I'm guessing they grew.

*blink* Okay, why did I just write a whole psycho-analysis for Squall, a hottie made of polygons??

Guest EricMM

Kingdom Hearts SPOILERS!

Dace what is the secret ending in KH:FM? Is it more than the secret ending when you get all the puppies, all the worlds, and etc? The Kingdom Hearts 2 trailer? I thought the secret movie for KH:FM was a trailer for Final Fantasy X-2..?

Either way, if they make a KH2, and it uses old FF games, and it doesn't come out here? I'd be hella pissed. I'm already mad that there won't be any more Vagrant Story games, yet they will make the (decent but weaker) Xenogears games?

Guest Star Ocean 3

Xenogears is weaker than what?

And Square has nothing to do with Xenosaga.

Guest Dace59

The KH:FM secert ending contains of load more than the plain KH secert ending.

It is a KH2 trailer, it just looks far more FF, Square style.

People think they can see Unknowns/older versions of the mian characters in it.

KH:Fm also has Showdown of Fate (Sure you know what it is)

Having seen the secert end off the story, it just adds to mystery. But looks damn cool.

And Xenogears ruled.

Guest Dace59

Oh well.

Anything else I can tell you about what I've read/heard/seen.

Hopefully internet rumors will be internet rumors with some of this stuff.

Guest EricMM

I was answering Star Ocean's question not dissing Xenogears, I personally liked it even tho it was a silly Eva rip off. When I was in highschool it was very insightful and it really meant something. yeah.