TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

Necrophilia angle

In my journalistic class, we're writing 'feature stories' on whatever topic we choose. And for this type of paper, we need to get 4 "sources" to supply comments, which I'll write into my paper. We also need comments from an "expert" as our 5th source. Since I know everyone here has an opinion, I figured I could get comments from here (we are allowed to do that).

The paper has to be a thousand words long, so, for some reason, the first thing that came to mind was that necrophilia angle. *shrug* Sooo, can I get everyone's comments on it?

<--- Journalism major

I did a similar piece in 2000 for my Intro to Journalistic Writing class (later published in the university paper). It was a broad, easy for non-fans to understand, description of the heights of pro wrestling popularity and how that battle for ratings directly or indirectly led to injuries and deaths (Owen for one).

Is it on the necro angle itself or the state of the WWE in general which led to that storyline?

As far as that angle, I think it's a good portrayal of how desperate the WWE is in its current state to bring in viewers. It's shock value, plain and simple. The company has been heading downhill arguably since WrestleMania X-7 - with smaller PPV buyrates, house show gates, and television ratings. Stunts and storylines like this are done in hopes of boosting ratings but they rarely if ever have a long-term effect. The only way to turn the product around is to create genuine interest with the fans, not to shock them.

Guest bob_barron

I did a paper on the Rock v. Jericho feud.

My comments:

It's pretty sad how wrestling has fallen when Vince McMahon intentionally does angles to get himself mainstream press so he could get people talking about his product again

Guest The_Radical

The worst part of the whole Necrophilia angle was that Vince was legitimately shocked when it didn't bring up the ratings for the show! I heard someone say that everyone was being too critical and that if we'd looked at it in the humorous light that it was meant to be looked at in, then we would have "gotten the joke". If that was supposed to be funny then I'm not sure what's supposed to be dramatic. I've seen car accidents that were funnier than that crap.

The Radical has spoken.

Guest teke184

If something is "ahead of its time" or "people didn't get it", it's carny for "It fucking SUCKED but we won't admit it."

Guest Kid Kablam

And that is what people like Vince will never understand: That "cutting edge" or "edgy" entertainment is only edgy when it presents itself as a force to be reckoned with and seriously challenges someone's views. Vince's jejune form of entertainment has no emotional impact whatsoever, and therefore is not edgy. Same with Dark Humor. Dark humor has to involve some sort of irony. Vince doesn't understand such concepts.

The whole thing was ridiculously stupid. It spat on Kane's past (Storyline-wise), continuity, Kane himself, good taste, and most importantly, the fans. There's a reason why the Montreal crowd started a "This Show Sucks" chant while Triple H was explaining just who Katie Vick was. Vince wanted to make waves here like he did with the tastefully done (In my opinion) Billy and Chuck "wedding", but all he did was kill Raw's ratings until Austin returned.

The necrophelia angle is exactly why smart marks prefer Paul Heyman (Who ran Smackdown, handled it well, and booked it excellently) over Brian Gerwitz (Raw head writer, lover of comedy angles) and Kevin Dunn (Production manager, big man on campus, and sports entertainment fiend), though THAT had the undeniably stupid Dawn Marie-Torrie Wilson feud, which is another matter entirely.

Guest Steviekick

There's nothing wrong with Gerwitz bashing. If they were trying to get media exposure with the necrophilia thing, they pretty much failed. I think the only non-wrestling people who mentioned it was Howard Stern and he thought it sucked.