TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Running Kazza from a CD or Flash card

I want to be able to run Kazza from a CD or from a Flash memory card. Does anyone know if it is possible?

I plan on changing the defualt my shared folder so it doesnt try to save stuff to the CD.

Ive tried to install it to the CD, and some vital files are always left behind on the C:\ drive. This means when I take the CD to a different machine, it wont run.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this.

ChUnK!

Guest areacode212

Same reason why most programs nowadays won't run off a CD if you just copy them over. When a program is installed, there are usually registry settings added, other files copied to your HD, etc.

Yeah, thats what I foudn when I tried to do it. Is it not possible to copy all of those over as well? As if the cd where a hard drive?

Also ive herad about copying your hard drive layout to a cd? Any info on this?

I tired this exact same procedure with MSN Messenger, and it worked fine, so thats what makes me think it may just be possible with Kazzaa aswell.

ChUnK!

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

You likely have to change all references to the drive letter in the config files, registry, etc. to the cd drive's letter (likely D). Check any .ini files, .cfg files Kazaa creates, any registry entries, whatnot. You might have more luck with Kazaa Lite, which installs less crap.

An alternative is Winmx, I used it from a cd, only problem that way the settings aren't saved (that's worked around by setting it up before burning the Winmx folder to cd.)

Why not just burn it and try it?

I did. See my previous post :).

You likely have to change all references to the drive letter in the config files, registry, etc. to the cd drive's letter (likely D). Check any .ini files, .cfg files Kazaa creates, any registry entries, whatnot. You might have more luck with Kazaa Lite, which installs less crap.

An alternative is Winmx, I used it from a cd, only problem that way the settings aren't saved (that's worked around by setting it up before burning the Winmx folder to cd.) 

Thanks man, much appreciated. Ill try that and see where it gets me.

Cheers,

ChUnK!

Guest Razor Roman

there may also be files that need to go into the various windows system folders... which would have to be on the C: drive.