TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mole

My dad just bought a new Gateway...

Guest Mole

My dad just bought a 300x Gateway for $799. It is a pretty good computer, even though it is a Gateway. However, the fuckers at Gateway forgot to put in an A drive. How the fuck do you forget to put in an A drive? Now, I'm gonna have to do it myself, but I'm sooo lazy I really don't want to.

Question though, does anyone know the front side bus on this computer? If that is how you spell it or say it...thanks fellas.

Guest razazteca

Why do you need a 3.5 inch drive? just configure it to boot off the CD or a Zip drive.

Guest Lethargic

Have you contacted Gateway about it? Seems like if they screwed up like that you could just take it to the store and they'd install it for you.

Guest Eagan469

floppies = extinct

You've probably got a CD-RW on there - use it, love it :)

Guest crandamaniac

Yeah, I remember reading a thing about this a couple of weeks ago. Seems they're moving more towards CD-RW's and such, since you can't really hold much on a floppy drive.

Guest areacode212

I doubt they "forgot" to put in a floppy drive, unless there's a empty hole where it normally goes. PC makers are moving towards making the floppy drive optional, so you have to expressly ask for one.

Adding one should be easy enough.

Guest DrTom

I'm sure leaving the floppy drive out was intentional. More and more PCs are coming without them now, since CD-Writers are everywhere. If you really want to install one, go ahead, but they're just not very useful anymore.

The FSB is most likely 533 MHz.

Guest Razor Roman

if it really was supposed to have a floppy drive, have gateway fix that for you now.

Tell them that Dell would ship you a new computer with the right configuration for you to keep, and then let you send back the old one, with them picking up the tab for delivery. That should straighten them up.

If you got the right computer, but still need a floppy drive, they're easy to install. If you're squeamish, however, buy a USB external floppy drive instead.

Guest swan

Some of the big computer company's like Dell and Gateway only offer a 3-1/2" floppy as an add-on any more. I'd let gateway do it (if you really want one) because breaking into the case might void your warrenty. In the future build your own or have a local computer shop do it. You'll get better quality hardware and survice.

I was in the midst of ordering a new Dell yesterday (didn't go through with it) and I noticed that they give you the option on having a floppy drive or not.

Dames

Guest Mole

Well I should of just gone to Gateway.com and looked up the computer. Anyway, the floppy drive isn't included, so they are getting away from them.

Gateway That is the computer, so yeah.

Thanks fellas.

Guest Nevermortal

Even if CD-RW's are the wave of the future, a Floppy Drive is always useful. You never know when you might need it.

Guest El Satanico

Too bad they don't sell empty tower cases. I'd like to have one of those cases to put the guts of my computer in.

No, actually I'd like to buy the case the new Apple uses. I love Their cases, monitors, speakers, keyboard and mouse.

Even if CD-RW's are the wave of the future, a Floppy Drive is always useful. You never know when you might need it.

I agree. If it wasnt for Uni, I would never use floppy disks, but you never know when you might need one. Dont they only cost like £15?

Youd think at that price Dell and Gateway etc could trhow it in for you.

ChUnK!