TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Powerplay

Battleground Comments!

Guest Powerplay

Well, Dace wins, Janus wins, and Mike Craven wins. Looking pretty good so far...

Guest 5_moves_of_doom

(Y) @ RETURNS~!

(Y) @ DANNY~!

(Y)(Y)(Y) @ MUNICH~!

Guest Powerplay

On the next few matches: Danny wins~!, Wtf?!, and Tom retainz0rs. Whoo!

And it looks like TBS and Silent are back, and it's Neilsen of the Jungle vs. The Suicide King @ 13th Hour. Rock fucking ON!

Guest TheBostonStrangler

I'm making the upcoming (and my final SWF) card right now, so if you have requests, IM me or talk to me in chat.

Guest 5_moves_of_doom

Well, I lost, though I can't say that it was unexpected, as my match was all rushed out today and seemed pretty iffy all throughout. Anyhow, I suppose that going to Disneyland and letting that take up two days of my writing time led to my inevitable demise, buuuuut since I jobbed anyway, I really don't care.

Anyhow, onto the more happy aspects of the show.

* Nathan returns, and this is so totally cool, until he starts no-showing again.

* TBS returns, and well, it's TBS. *marks out*

* NotJ/King!? And with a few other matches that I know of ALSO going on the 13th Hour card, I'm ALREADY looking forward to it.

* Danny is the ICTV champ. I honestly think that he's a contender for beating Thoth's title reign record, before launching right up into the ME picture.

* Dace impresses on his return. Looking forward to him and the HCG division.

* J&R show, and God does their match look fucking awesome. Shall read it as soon as I can.

* TNT/Frost lose to Taamo, and the Superior One retains!! I had jobbed to Frost anyway, but in hindsight it's probably better to add even more credibility to Flesher's reign, leading into an inevitable singles match before he and Frost, probably at 13th Hour.

* Finally, MVS/Craven looks pretty sweet, and Michael's still evolving his character. Cool.

* Already said this, but 13th Hour is going to be FUCKING AWESOME.

Guest Grand Slam

Before I drop off to bed for some much needed (and far too short) sleep, I just wanted to say this about the TLC match...

I grade on a sliding scale of points. Don't ask how it works, I don't want to tell anyone, but trust me when I say getting over 50 points is a great match. The best I've ever had was Danny's match at FTF (I think, it's very late) and it crested the 60 point mark.

Both matches tonight broke not 60, not 70, not even 90, but the century mark. 100 points. One of them broke 110. Two of the finest matches I have ever read and it is a shame that only won could be chosen. Damn fine job to all involved.

And what else I have read, and that ain't much, is pretty damn good. Way to go boys.

Oh, and both King and Neilsen wrote matches. And I'm not telling who's match was posted...

Good Night all...

An excellent show from what I have read so far. Me and Wildchild lost and I have to say it is a dissapointment to me due to the fact that me and WC worked so hard on it, and now it shall never be seen. In hindsight, I read the J&R match and they truly did everyone justice. Now lets hope we don't have to write another match like that for a while. :)

Kudos to everyone, even the losers, I'm sure everyone poured tons of effort into this. Well, everyone but TNT... J/K TNT. ;)

Guest Kibagami

Well, it's good to be back, and better still to be working with Janus. Hopefully, having somebody so solid in the matchwriting department to play off of will prevent me from fucking anything up royally. Now then, I bring the acerbic like you all know and love...

...actually, not much acerbic. This was a good goddamn show.

Dace wins with a very solid debut. Nice touch of neck work here and there gives the match a grounding that I don't see much of in the JL or the WF undercard, the match had a hot finish, and the pinfall sequence in particular I thought was very nicely written. Some of the commentary reads very flat, but that's easily attributed to being unfamiliar with Mark and Riley. I'd like to comment here, but the idea is for you to get better at commentary, not worse, so I'll let Z chime in when he gets the time. I've been a fan of a lot of Dace's matches ever since reading Damnation in a Box. While the English grammar grates on me like a motherfucker, that's not really a "problem" to be fixed, and it gets easier and easier to look past as Dace improves as a writer.

Janus' match is a fun read. Those Equalizer spots were sick as all hell. They made me wince almost as much as the weedwhacker did in the aforementioned DIAB match. The no-selling was thankfully contained largely to the beginning of the match, and the hardcore element was used as effectively as it can be to both emphasize the size difference and make it seem conquerable. I want to complain about the Zombie Sit-Up in the finish, but then I think about the time I suplexed somebody smaller than myself off the side of a cage and I remember that it's appropriate for the character...especially given the promo that follows the match. Great stuff, that promo. You should all read it some time.

Craven wins the latest contest between he and Mike Van Siclen for the US title. The match itself is better than I've come to expect from Ash in the past, at least for the first half. Most of the offense is even-handed, and some of the crazier spots that Ash is known for have been toned down or left out entirely in favor of some innovative moves that add to the match instead of detracting from it. Two things really stand out for me, though, and unfortunately they're both negative. First, the spot where Craven pulls Van Siclen up before the pin just struck me as wrong. While I appreciate the sort of manipulative heel vibe Ash seems to be going for, that sort of move just isn't appropriate unless you're much higher up the card than your opponent or your name is Jericho. Second, the finish of the match is much too long, at least in my opinion, and devalues some of the bigger moves in each man's repetoire before ending the match with...a Gore? The counter to the Cardinal Sin Clutch was a good idea, and I think that should've led into a submission victory for Craven instead of what felt like a very indie-style pop-up-and-hit-the-finisher deal.

Danny's another writer who's grown on me, especially since his return, and his ICTV victory is hardly a surprise. I always enjoy seeing how he incorporates some of the pertinent match background into the beginning of the match, something I truly like to do but end up cutting out to meet word limits. It's also fun to see how well JD's style is written into a Danny Williams match -- I did smile at the chairshot to the back; I know how gimmickery pains Danny, and seeing him make what seemed a concession to his opponent's style indicates to me, at least, how far he's come since being bumped.

Now, then, I want to take another paragraph and address the finish. For the first time in a while, I misjudged it -- the first time I marked out, I thought Danny had finished it with the Western Lariat. And then I marked for the Rolling Elbow. And again for the Shining Black. And again for the Thai roundhouse. I bought every near-fall Danny wrote. I'll be honest -- I never mark when I'm reading somebody's match. Ever. But I did mark for this finish, and I think that deserves to be said. Bravo, Danny.

The tag match was glorious fun to read, if for no other reason than seeing Strangler and King team up in the ring. Strangler's return was an honest surprise to me (well, up until about an hour before the show, it was a surprise), and King? Writing? A match? Glorious, glorious. I'm not a fan of overbooking, but it all gelled well enough in the end. Speaking of which, Neilsen leaves the woman to get bloodied by King and remains a face despite it? I am most impressed.

Now then, I read the TLC match rather carefully, because I wanted to be informed in my opinion on it. And Judge...if you don't stop telling us your matches suck when they are, in fact, perfectly fucking good, I will start critquing things like grammar and punctuation solely to accomodate you, okay? The spots were fantastic fun, everybody was accounted for in each sequence, the transitions were handled as well as humanly possible in a match like this...I honestly don't understand what you were so worried about. You even bit the bullet and included Deja Vu's tickling, of all things. Little humorous bits like that help make a match. People may waffle on the finish of the match, but given the general climate of the fed, I think it was a gutsy thing to do, and I think you pulled it off extremely well -- well enough that I'm not at all offended by it, nor do I think it's a 'cop-out'. It sets up the next six weeks for you guys rather effectively. And on top of all this, you referenced Pinball Wizard. Good fuckin' job, man.

The main event, as always, is justice and rule. Tom managed to produce this in about two days, and as always, I'm impressed with the final product. Flesher's wrestling is always second to none, but I think his commentary is just as impressive and doesn't get nearly as much attention. The CCBB dynamic was handled...respectfully, I think is the word. It was an interesting situation that didn't favor Flesher in or out of character, and he managed to come out on top. Kudos to him for that. The finish was done particularly well, as I think it explained TNT's frame of mind and the reasoning behind his choices much better than the commentators could, even if they could've done it more objectively. I'm definitely interested to see what TNT and Frost produced as well.

And now that this has become much longer than I intended, I go to bed. Whoo chah, a fantastic show all around.

K.

Guest Beezel

I would like to congratulate Janus for an excellent match. I don't think the Hardcore division is my niche to be honest and I think that the HCG belt is now in good hands in Janus.

The show was intense. I am not one to talk or type for long, but congratulations to one and all for their wins. This was a solid pay per view and I am happy to be part of this once more.

Guest kelloggs

Dace versus Sean

A nice opening match for the pay per view, although, it read a little difficultly... not that I can comment on anybodies grammar, mind you. I've always been a fan of Dace's, whether he knew it or not and the solid neck work that leads to you head drop finishing sequences is always well done. That psych is evident once again in this match and I'm glad to see you get your first win, here in the WF. It's an okay match, but I'm sure you'll write better and hopefully, you, much like myself, or an even better example of success in Danny, will continue to groom your writing style and improve.

Beezel versus Janus

Janus, while running into some growing pains here in the WF, you came up with a solid match. As an objective reader I have to say that you consistently bring forth a good, high quality effort, each time you write (which is everytime). The tone and execution are well thought out and done respectively, while you play upon the past match you two had. While I might not have told you either, I'm sure that with your writing skill you'll go as far as you want. As Kibs said, it was a fun read, but hey you probably already knew that.

Nathan promo

Kibs tried to work me in chat, (like anybody believed that was a retirement promo) but what can I say. I think it was an innovative way to start a new program, but I hope you write. It looks like you've found some inspiration, so I hope it all work out for ya.

more later...

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Skimmed everything. Delighted in the absolute at the innovation of the Janus/Kibagami program, and Nathan's return.

My big comment, though, is that Danny wrote one of the top 5 match endings I've ever seen, I think. I've never seen so many false finishes done so well. I could tell it was Danny's style of writing but I bought into every single near fall. It's incredibly rare that someone like Danny will let a character get away from a jujigitame, and so when it actually happens it's mindblowingly cool. Massive, massive props.

Also, the ending to the TLC was brilliant, and makes certain that W&D lose nothing from having the first meeting be here.

Guest Dace59

A few notes on what caught my eye.

Danny takes a match, then has 90% of the action around an Elbow Smash and a Kick, yet it's still gold dust.

Janus does one hell of a cage match, and I love the personilsed weapon, nice touch. Nice creative stuff to counter balance the leg spot early on too.

As for my own match:

It's really stuff moving from Axis and King to Stevens and Riley, I can say that.

Minourly psyched out due to being against Atlas, who ripped the SJL a new one as he rocketed up the ranks.

My gramme comes from the fact I'm English, writing for myself, and trying not keep in simple to work the action around, but the flowery stuff will be coming back in I hope.

As for the psych, I was lazy on that, I didn't what to try too much stuff, and just get a solid match in, my neck based move set makes it all work though.

Guest Ace309
It's really stuff moving from Axis and King to Stevens and Riley, I can say that.

Definitely. While you can draw parallels, they're really completely different characters> The most important things to remember, although I tend to muck up GSMS's character quite a bit, are that Stevens is an honorable face, and Bobby Riley is an abrasive, homophobic yet latently homosexual heel with a crush on Tom Flesher.

No, seriously.

In any event, I'm really pleased that I won, since I was quite concerned about the match I turned in (especially since it dragged through the opening) and the German suplex spot at the end was something everyone I asked advised me against. I'll get down to reading everything more closely later, but all the comments I've seen reflect what I've read.

Guest HVilleThugg

Show = good!

Da "there, now I have the last post on every single board!" H

PS - No, I haven't read it...I'll get around to skimming in a minute when I have to do the rankings.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

Danny I will be sure to read your match with full comments. Good news and bad news after the PPV... the bad news I noshowed again. :( Sorry Danny, I know you wanted me to write. But my internet got fuckled for the final time.

On the bright side, that will never be a problem again as I finally have my laptop and DSL service which will kick in tomorrow morning!

The rest of the comments will come after the show is read. Looks awesome.

Guest Angel_Grace_Blue

Okay, I'll be honest: I didn't read much of the show. I wouldn't even call it skimming. I'm sure that all of the matches were great, as it seems they were, judging by these comments.

However, there's one thing that I must say: Why was there no tribute or show dedication to Muzza? WHY, DAMN YOU, WHY?

I'll be looking for one on the next show. And, if I venture into JL-land, I'll request the same there.