TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grand Slam

Breaking Kayfabe 5-8-2003

Guest Grand Slam

May 8, 2003

Its been just like old times recently. I've been spending most of my time at "Bases Loaded" working with the kids, getting them to take a back bump without whacking their heads, run the ropes, and not be scared to go to the top rope. It is very satisfying. But there has been extra reason lately for them to work hard. No less than the Suicide King himself has been working out here, joined on a few occasions by Strangler, Neilsen and Michelle. You want to talk about some kids bumping hard? Damn. All of them are trying to make an impression, trying to get that coveted job in the JL so they can be a SWF star someday.

I got to spend some time working in the ring with King a few weeks ago. He was trying to get back into ring shape and knock some of the rust off. I mean, it has been nearly a year since he retired. I've been lucky recently, working a few days a week in the ring with my students keeps me in pretty good shape and keeps a least some of the rust off, but King is stuck behind a desk most days and has a hard time even getting into a gym for a decent workout anymore. He's still got the skills though, and God knows he still remembers how to put together a match. It didn't take him long to get ready for the match, but now that he has to work again in June, I imagine we'll be seeing a classic King-style match out of him.

Its good to see Raynor back on the road as an agent for us. He has a lot to offer, particuarly to the Tag Division. He's always been a good friend out of the ring and I am thrilled to see him back after his injury, even if he can't get back in the ring anytime soon.

Unfortunatly, that means we had a Road Agent leave us. Sacred finally decided to head back to Australia for an extended period and get some much needed time off. Good luck buddy, and let us know when you are ready to come back.

I had lunch with Sarah before Battleground. It was nice to see her again as she has been off the road for a few weeks dealing with some personal issues. it sounds like things are stating to look up for her, and I am thrilled to see it. Sarah has been a good friend of mine since we had our run at the Tag Titles a while back, and it was too bad we never got the chance to pull off the angle we presented to CC. It would have been great...

I got a chance to visit with Thugg this week. He is looking better and is out of the hard brace and into a soft one. Apparently, the injury is worse than Chris Raynor's and will keep him out of the ring for good unless something changes.

Mak is still suffering from various injuries. The one I am most worried about is the post-concussion syndrome. I've seen some good men tap out to that particular ailment, and I want to see Francis back in the ring sooner rather than later.

The doctors have cleared Silent to start working in the ring again, as you probably guessed from Battleground. It will be a few shows before he really starts getting in the ring on television though, as I think he wants to knock off the ring-rust a little before going full steam with his "issue" with Janus.

Other than that, no changes in the injury list other than the standard bumps and bruises which are to be expected, especially after some of the brutality we saw unleashed on Battleground. Everyone took it to a new level.

- Stories from the Road -

I received some e-mails asking for this type of thing, so here goes...

This is from a while back actually, when King had just turned and the Carnival was still in full force. We were driving from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis fro a house show. It was a big van and we crammed as many of us as we could into it to save a few bucks. If I remember right, it was me, King, Edwin, Raynor and Thugg. We decided to stop in Columbus to get something to eat and Edwin saw a Dave & Buster's right off the highway.

Now, if you aren't familiar with the place, it is like a Chuck-E-Cheese for grownups. They have a real restaurant and bar, with pool tables and more video games than you can shake a stick at. It sounded like a good way to get food and relax a little, and we had plenty of time to get to Indy. So we go strolling in and head for the gameroom / bar. Thugg and Raynor head off looking for a good game to kill some time on, King heads to the restaurant to get us a table and Edwin and I sit down at the bar. The place was packed full of people, just overflowing. Edwin and I had just ordered a couple of drinks (I had a Jack & Coke, Edwin had a daquiri) when we heard a familiar voice behind us...

"Joker's Wild!! Joker's Wild!!"

We both spin around in our seats to see four kids playing the old IGNWF IGNite stand up arcade game. "The King of Hearts" had apparently just landed his finisher on one of the Fallen and the digital Curry was having a coniption fit. We started to laugh, but quietly. The last thing we wnated was to cause a scene. I usually blend in pretty well, particuarly when I am wearing my glasses and Edwin was dressed down (no contacts, normal clothes... you'd never recognize him) so we got away with it. Actually, I think the bartender knew who we were but he was nice enough to not make a big deal out of it.

King comes back saying it would be about 30 minutes for a table. He sits at the bar, orders a beer, and listens as we tell him about the game. He winks...

Edwin: "Oh no..."

King stands up from the bar and walks over to the game. He waits patiently as the kids finish up the match (me & King over the Fallen) then steps up and asks to play. We held our breath. None of them recognize him. None of them. Edwin and I are giggling like madmen as King takes hold of the controls and proceeds to just murder the kid playing Fallout. it wasn't even funny.

As King plays, Edwin and I are very pleased with ourselves. here we are, in a room full of our "target demographic" sitting 6 feet away from a video game with huge glowing panels of our pictures totally unnoticed.

It wasn't to last though. Thugg and Raynor come back towards us from whatever corner they were in and they are drawing attention. Partially because Thugg attacts attention, but mostly because Raynor had taken off his non-descript leather jacket to reveal the classic baseball jersey with "Chris Raynor" on the front and "Midnight Carnival" on the back. Some people are starting to notice, looking around, but most look befuddled until Thugg, God love him, busts out with a "Yo Slammer! You betta be buyin' a round 'cause I jus' played Raynor a round of Street Fighter an' straight up wrecked his shit!!"

Needless to say, we were late for the show and I don't think Stubbs ever bought our excuse, but hell, we got a free meal out of it!

Well, that's all for now. Until next time...

Keep swinging for the fences,

"Grand Slam" Mark Stevens

Guest WrestlingDeacon

*Frost reads another exciting installment of Grand Slam's breaking kayfabe*

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...put me over...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Guest realitycheck

I'd pay to see Thugg try to take Thoth in a game of SF.

Oh, and Mark, I don't care how green those trainee's are, I need them to puff up the JL roster right now!

-Z

Guest Tod deKindes

Good stuff, Slammer. Next time, talk about my trips to Smackdown and RAW! (that one coming soon) :)

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I had a crappy exam this morning, and this made my day. Frickin' great.

Guest HVilleThugg

Yo, that was phat! Makes me reminisce about the good 'ol days. Those were some good times...although, I'd like to think that Thugg would be hard pressed to go unnoticed, but I guess he didn't. It's also nice to see that I'm not forgotten. It would have been cool to have done whese while we were all still active...cause I know back then I started to forget it was all a work, and outside of the ring, we all were friendly.

Sigh...how I long for the days of the Kliq.

Da "goes back to his project" H

Guest Tod deKindes

Yeah and stuff.

/ownz all three boards for the first time.

G'night.

+1