TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mole

Who is more talented...

Guest Mole

I was having this discussion with my friends, about the band Good Charolette. I was saying how this band won't be around in a few years, atleat not in the mainstream, because they aren't that good and that is the way the system in America works.

Then my ex girlfriend said, well what about Phish, they don't have any music videos. I was trying to tell her that is because Phish isn't a band like that, they don't care about mainstream/MTV sucess. They are more of a live band, that concentrates on their live music than their studio sucess.

I then asked them which band they thought was more popular, Good Charlotte or Phish.They said we don't really know, but I knew it was Phish. They sold out their New Years Concert in less than 5 minutes and I know of people who traveled all the way to Las Vegas to see them play. I never heard of a Charolette concert being sold out in 5 minutes, nor people traveling that far to see them.( I live in Connecticut). Plus, I said that Charolette could never get 80,000 people to go see them, with them just being the only band. Phish has done that NUMEROUS times, but of course they said that Charolette could do the same. I highly doubt that.

They said I was biass because I love Phish, so I then used the example of Dave Mathews Band because I HATE Dave. They are a very popular band, much more popular than Charolette. They are also much more talented, even though I believe they suck big balls.

I then said, who do you think is more talented, Phish or Good Charolette? They said both are about the same because they play different styles of music. I honeslty think Phish is MUCH MUCH MUCH more talented than Good Charolette, by a landside. They have great instrumentals, change their style every alblum, lyrics that are poetic, and don't play the same cords over and over again.

What do you fellas think?

Guest Lethargic
What do you fellas think?

I think you and your friends have some weird ass conversations.

Guest Walter Sobzak

Two totally, TOTALLT different bands, yet I don't really like either of them. So they are either incomparable or even, if you ask me.

Guest nl5xsk1

Phish is more musically gifted, but if you include the ability to attract mainstream appeal and commercial success as a talent, I'd have to vote Good Charlotte. (and I hate bands like Good Charlotte with the passion of 100 suns)

Guest Choken One

I don't mind them...They have a good appreciation for their 15 minutes and they respect the history of music and openly admit they aren't the best band around and they really just like the lifestyle...

That's a good reputation to have...

Phish are sadly known for being Stoner Band or Grateful Dead Pt. 2.

You don't see many songs of theirs on the radio and you def. don't see it on Video...

But they have the quasi underground popularity that is RARE.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You can't possibly be suggesting that they aren't, can you?

That said, Phish is more talented, although I can't stand either band.

Mole, have you ever heard Oysterhead? Trey Anastasio plays guitar and does vocals, with Les Claypool, and Stewart Copeland. It's pretty damn decent.

Guest FeArHaVoC
I said that Charolette could never get 80,000 people to go see them, with them just being the only band. Phish has done that NUMEROUS times, but of course they said that Charolette could do the same. I highly doubt that.

The day 80,000 people go to a "GC" concert, is the day I blow my head off.

Guest Steviekick

I think Phish is more talented of the two. Their reputation is based on the live performance aspect, as apposed to GC's being from the endless promotional monster that is pushing their album. I don't really like either band. Phish's music is much more complicated than anything GC could ever do, and Phish plays there songs better, so they are more talented.

Guest Choken One

You can't possibly be suggesting that they aren't, can you?

God No. They are.

I was just saying the aren't known for being a solid good band as opposed to just being stoner rock...

Guest Banky

I'll just say Good Charlotte is really really really bad. I've never listened to much of Phish.

Guest Choken One

I never got the name of those two bands...

Good Charlotte...

Phish...

Guest saturnmark4life

Good Charlotte are not a band.

I don't care for phish, but they are good musicians. The title of this thread made me think that music has sunk to new lows, however. Who gives a fuck?

Guest gangsteruwa

I probably would go with Phish eventhough I don't like them. Good Charlotte just seems like bland mall rock, Phish has some depth. If they can effectively increase my town's (Plattsburgh, NY) population by about 10 times, they must have something going for them.

Guest HollywoodSpikeJenkins

GC is the worst band out there today, with Simple Plan right behind them.

"Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous", "The Anthem" and "The Young and the Hopeless" are some of the worst songs I have ever heard.

Guest Crux

GC is a talentless group of rebel-wannabes who have the power to make ears bleed.

Therefore, I vote for Phish.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Good Charlotte: "Hey, look at us, we're PUNK! Just ignore that our tour IS SPONSORED BY HONDA."

I guess Phish wins by default.

Guest Mole
I never got the name of those two bands...

Good Charlotte...

Phish...

Phish got their name from their drummer, John Fishman.

Good Charlotte got their name from, God knows.

Guest Youth N Asia

I don't like either band.

GC won the cointoss, so I say them

Guest mesepher

what does the amount of tickets a band can sell have ANYTHING to do with how talented they are? By that statement, Brittney Spears et al is much more talented than say ANY jazz or classical musician out there. :stupid:

Guest Mole
what does the amount of tickets a band can sell have ANYTHING to do with how talented they are? By that statement, Brittney Spears et al is much more talented than say ANY jazz or classical musician out there. :stupid:

When did I ever say that the amount of tickets a band can sell has to do anything with how talented they are? :stupid: for not reading what I wrote correctly.

EDIT: If you weren't talking about me, you aren't stupid. If you were, than you are stupid.

Guest Mole
Phish is more musically gifted, but if you include the ability to attract mainstream appeal and commercial success as a talent, I'd have to vote Good Charlotte. (and I hate bands like Good Charlotte with the passion of 100 suns)

That is the thing about Phish, they don't want to be mainstream like that, it isn't their style. They'd rather be a better live band than a 'mainstream' band.

Guest Mole
Mole, have you ever heard Oysterhead? Trey Anastasio plays guitar and does vocals, with Les Claypool, and Stewart Copeland. It's pretty damn decent.

Yeah, I like Oysterhead, but Les's voice just bugs me out sometimes. It is just so god damn weird, I can't listen to it all the time.

I'd perfer to listen to Trey's solo stuff, which is amazing. "Caymen Review", "Alive Again", "Drifting", "Last Tube", and "Flock of Words" are just amazing songs. Much better than the stuff Phish has put out from their last two alblums, by a landslide.

Guest Youth N Asia
Aww Youth, you really think GC is more talented than Phish?

It came up tails. The cointoss is a perfected system that never lies.

Guest Ray

I dislike both bands actually.

Good Charlotte: "Hey, look at us, we're PUNK! Just ignore that our tour IS SPONSORED BY HONDA."

I guess Phish wins by default.

That sums it up quite nicely. B-)

Guest Mole

Ha, I have been spelling Good Charolette wrong the whole time, it is Charlotte. This board needs spell check.

Guest Mole

Okay, here are the lyrics for a Good Charlotte song and a Phish song, which seems like they have more talent?

Good Charlotte, "Screamer"

Communication isn't hard when the wind can't speak

Yelling mercy to the poor, and forgiveness to the weak forever

I can't speak

A penny saved is a penny earned

When the life that you spent was the leaf that overturned

Don't forget to buckle when you fall

Beneath the pressure of the seconds

When your life became a screamer

Staring at the sea things become so small

Photopages turn the pictures on my wall

Pictures on my wall

CHORUS

Why is life such an issue in your mind

Why are the answers to my problems hard to find

So hard to find

I'm dreaming

I'm a dreamer

While your screaming

At a screamer

Take out the light

Take out the light , start screaming

Take out the light

Take out the light and start screaming

I'm dreaming

I'm dreaming, I'm a dreamer

While your screaming

You're screamin at a screamer

Take out the light

Take out the light ,start screaming

Take out the light

Take out the light , start screaming

CHORUS

So hard to find

I'm dreaming

I'm a dreamer

While your screaming

At a screamer

CHORUS

So hard to find

So hard to find

Take out the light

Take out the light, start screaming

Take out the light

Take out the light

Take out the light

Phish, Rift

Last night, in the moments my thoughts were adrift

And coasting a terrace, approaching a rift

Through which I could spy several glimpses beneath

Of the darkness the light from above could not reach

I spied wings of reason, herself taking flight

And upon yonder precipice saw her alight

And glared back at me one last look of dismay

As if she were the last one she thought I'd betray

So much better I said to myself

And drawing quite close to the top of the shelf

I struggled with destiny upon the ledge

And gasped when defeated he slipped off the edge

And silence contagious in moments like these

Consumed me and strengthened my will to appease

The passion that sparked me one terrible night

And shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite

So much better I said to myself

And drawing quite close to the top of the shelf

I struggled with destiny upon the ledge

And gasped when defeated he slipped off the edge

And silence contagious in moments like these

Consume me and strengthen my will to appease

The passion that sparked me one terrible night

(And shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite) x5

Guest Nanks

I have never heard of Phish, so I can't comment on them. I will say about Good Charlotte, however, that I am not a fan, but, I was dragged along to a concert recently in Melbourne and I really, really enjoyed it. They are far better live than they are on record. There's just an extra edge to the music and I think seeing them live would probably change a few people's opinions of them slightly.