TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mattdotcom

If Diesel is the Lowest Drawing WWF Champion...

Guest Mattdotcom

See topic. It's just something that I've been wondering about.

Guest Sykotic2002

WHat about Ron Simmons? I remember reading about his reign drawing crwds worse then 1,000 fans in some arenas. You could probably say any of te many champios from 2000 also.

Guest JHawk

You can't really use any of the champions from 2000. How can you draw money when you hold the title 2.4 weeks (on average)?

Guest saturnmark4life

I know that Simmons had a match with the Barbarian that the network refused to broadcast on TV due to how bad it was, but I don't know the figures.

People weren't really interested in Steiner's run with the title, and at that time WCW had about 2 people watching, so Im guessing him.

Guest Youth N Asia

Nash definatly had the lowest drawing run for how big his name is. And after he killed Goldberg's streak in WCW I knew the end was near.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

If you want to do the math it's probably a Vince Russo brain fart, like himself or David Arquette. Of legitimate champions, my money would be on Ron Simmons. He only got the belt to curb allegations of racist hiring practices and wasn't even considered a real main eventer as Sting and Rick Rude were feuding over the big gold belt at the time, as well as the brief Sting and Jake Roberts feud going on. The Simmons vs. Barbarian match was on Halloween Havoc, where the infamous Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal Match main evented. I also know that that a WCW Saturday Night was once main evented by Barry Windham and Ron Simmons vs. Jake Roberts and the Barbarian.

Guest Dynamite Kido

my money would be on Ron Simmons. I think that the fact that when the last few champions of WCW were there that more people were going to and watching the shows than when Simmons was the champion.......

Guest Youth N Asia

That's why I said he was the worst as for how big his name is.

Guest Old Brown Heineken

Eliminating the big 3 stooges (Vince Russo, Arquette, and Vince McMahon), who were the worst world champions of the big 3, I have to go with Tommy Rich and Ron Garvin for the NWA/wCw. While Tommy did suck it up to become champ, Rugged Ron wins the destinction of worst champ based on the fact that he was considered a joke, and his two month reign resulted in no one facing him for the belt because they knew his championship was a farce.

Guest the 1inch punch

He gave some guy a blowjob in return for a world title reign, simple as that

Guest Old Brown Heineken

"Tommy Rich, the John-Boy of pro-wrestling." -- Roddy Piper

Guest tank_abbott
Rugged Ron wins the destinction of worst champ based on the fact that he was considered a joke, and his two month reign resulted in no one facing him for the belt because they knew his championship was a farce.

Ron Garvin defended it on a number of shows during that 40 day period... That 40 day break is kayfabe.... ask around at kayfabe memories .com if you choose not to believe me, as his title reign is often up for discussion

Guest Old Brown Heineken
Rugged Ron wins the destinction of worst champ based on the fact that he was considered a joke, and his two month reign resulted in no one facing him for the belt because they knew his championship was a farce.

Ron Garvin defended it on a number of shows during that 40 day period... That 40 day break is kayfabe.... ask around at kayfabe memories .com if you choose not to believe me, as his title reign is often up for discussion

I trust you, I went to Kayfabe memories' board and didn't find anything on the subject, but that's perhaps cos I'm an ass. Anyway, I would be grateful if you could tell me who the f**k did he defend his title against between September 25, 1987 and November 26, 1987 (when Ric started his sixth reign I think)...

Guest Slingshot Suplex

Tommy Rich had it about 5 days. He didn't have it long enough to draw anybody.

I believe Garvin did defend the title at least early on in his run. Maybe tank knows exactly where to find it but I seem to remember reading about at least a handful of defenses against people like Tully Blanchard and Bubba Rogers.

From personal experience, I remember a tag match with Dusty against Flair and Arn in Detroit the month after he won the belt. But no defense.

Guest Some Guy

I don't thin that Simmons caused too much of a drop in business while champion as WCW was pretty hard up then anyway. Where as WCW started going down hill after Nash won the belt from Goldberg. HHH is probaly becomign one of the lowest draws in recent memory as he hasn't been part of a money drawing angle in a good long time.

Sid didn't fare too well with either the WWF or WCW title. Jarrett didn't set the world on fire either with his multiple WCW titles.

Guest tank_abbott

I trust you, I went to Kayfabe memories' board and didn't find anything on the subject, but that's perhaps cos I'm an ass. Anyway, I would be grateful if you could tell me who the f**k did he defend his title against between September 25, 1987 and November 26, 1987 (when Ric started his sixth reign I think)...

Ron Garvin Discussion

Not quite what your looking for....

Ron garvin Defenses

I started a new thread on it, hopefully by the time you read this, the posters will have answered!

Edited by tank_abbott

Sid was the champ when WWF was in the crapper...and was the champ when WCW was in the crapper....

Also I don't think Steiner is really to blame for WCW being so bad during his run, he seemed to be really over. I remember reading wrestling.ign.com back during those days and an episode of Nitro jumped an entire point when he made his return in 2000. The other guy in the segment was Hugh Morris and I have a feeling it wasn't his drawing power that pulled those visitors away from USA Network.

If you want to do the math it's probably a Vince Russo brain fart, like himself or David Arquette. Of legitimate champions, my money would be on Ron Simmons. He only got the belt to curb allegations of racist hiring practices and wasn't even considered a real main eventer as Sting and Rick Rude were feuding over the big gold belt at the time, as well as the brief Sting and Jake Roberts feud going on. The Simmons vs. Barbarian match was on Halloween Havoc, where the infamous Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal Match main evented. I also know that that a WCW Saturday Night was once main evented by Barry Windham and Ron Simmons vs. Jake Roberts and the Barbarian.

Five years later, but....Simmons' reign was in '92, the "Big Gold Belt" era was not until late '93.

Yeah I was about to say, Rude was screwing around with Chono over the NWA title in late 1992. That stuff was so hopelessly convoluted as a fan. It would be like if there was no brand extension today but you had Jericho and HHH both with world titles in WWE. Imagine the Invasion era with both WWF and WCW world titles on the show, except here it lasted almost 2 years.

I have a soft spot for Simmons' title win, so I will cut him some slack. The main problem he had was that he beat Vader for the title but then feuded with The Barbarian and crap. If he had continued the program with Vader I would think his title run would have gone a bit better.