TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

The Single Greatest Cartoon of All-Time

For me, it's the "Wabbit Season! Duck Season!" trilogy starring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Fudd. Daffy is classic "Look! I'm a Fiddler Crab! Why don't you shoot me? It's Fiddler Crab Season!!!"

"Duck Dodgers in the 24th-and-a-halfth Century" is also brilliant beyond fucking words, as is "Duck Twacy." "Neon Noodle! It's Neon Noodle!"

Guest DrTom

Going back really old school, I'd have to say "Sport Goofy." HILARIOUS.

Guest Dangerous A

The Daffy Duck/Porky Pig episode where they were a parody of Robin Hood has me weak everytime I see it.

Guest razazteca

Any of the Bugs Bunny cartoons that had either the turtle or the buzzard killer. Or the one musical cartoon that had Elmer Fudd doing the Flight of the Valkeries opera.

Guest starvenger
Going back really old school, I'd have to say "Sport Goofy." HILARIOUS.

Oh, hell yeah. I second that one.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Astroboy: Worlds Greatest Robot. You ain't touchin that.

Guest Vern Gagne

Elmer Fudd goes camping. Elmer getting a big smile on his face when Bugs Bunny kisses him is classic.

Did June Bugs air on CTN?

Guest Grand Slam

I am a font of useless knowledge...

The Daffy Duck/Porky Pig episode where they were a parody of Robin Hood has me weak everytime I see it.

"Robin Hood Daffy" - True Classic

Or the one musical cartoon that had Elmer Fudd doing the Flight of the Valkeries opera.

"What's Opera Doc?" - Amazing cartoon

For me, it's the "Wabbit Season! Duck Season!" trilogy starring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Fudd.

"Rabbit Fire"

"Rabbit Seasoning"

"Duck, Rabbit, Duck!"

Another great Daffy / Bugs cartoon is "Ali Baba Bunny". "Hassan CHOP!"

I throw my vote in for "Rabbit of Seville", "Duck Amuck" and "Roger Rabbit in Tummy Trouble".

Guest pochorenella

The Tom and Jerry one where Tom goes fishing to a lake that's guarded by that dog (I don't recall a name). He's avoiding the dog at all costs all the while using Jerry as fish bait. Brilliant cartoon. In fact, Tom & Jerry rule.

Guest notJames
Another great Daffy / Bugs cartoon is "Ali Baba Bunny". "Hassan CHOP!"

YES! A classic in every sense of the word…

"Uh… open Saskatchewan? Open saddlesoap? Open septuagenarian?"

I'll throw my hat in for Bugs vs. that mad scientist with the creature made of orange hair and sneakers…

"Such an IIIIINNN-teresting monster…"

or the one where Bugs gets drawn incorrectly, until the end where it's revealed that the cartoonist is Elmer J. Fudd.

"Look, my contract clearly states that I am always to be drawn as a rabbit. So if you don't want to get yourself in a peck of trouble, just…"

Guest WrestlingDeacon
or the one where Bugs gets drawn incorrectly, until the end where it's revealed that the cartoonist is Elmer J. Fudd.

"Look, my contract clearly states that I am always to be drawn as a rabbit. So if you don't want to get yourself in a peck of trouble, just…"

I thought that was Daffy Duck and the animator was revealed to be Bugs.

Any of the Goofy documentary type cartoons are absolutely brilliant and the one where he goes water skiing and winds up on the roller coaster with the octopus wrapped around him. Some of the best stuff Disney ever produced.

I've always loved Popeye, even though most have a similar structure. They best is one where Popeye goes to visit Olive Oyl for his birthday and he brings his navy buddy Shorty home with him, because Shorty was suicidal due to not having anyone to go see on shore leave. But Shorty is a douche and keeps fucking stuff up. Olive gets mad at them, kicks them out and Popeye shoots Shorty in the face with Shorty's gun at point blank range and kills him. I'm serious, that's a real cartoon.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

Maybe it's just me but I always hated the Bugs Bunny and friends cartoons. I also never could stand Tom and Jerry.

When I was a kid I always got into shit like GI Joe, Thundercats, and Transformers more but I don't have and individual episode that stands out to me as a favorite.

Guest Vern Gagne

Bugs and Yosemite Sam have a contest to see whose the quickest draw in the West.

Guest bob_barron

I thought that was Daffy Duck and the animator was revealed to be Bugs.

Any of the Goofy documentary type cartoons are absolutely brilliant and the one where he goes water skiing and winds up on the roller coaster with the octopus wrapped around him. Some of the best stuff Disney ever produced.

I've always loved Popeye, even though most have a similar structure. They best is one where Popeye goes to visit Olive Oyl for his birthday and he brings his navy buddy Shorty home with him, because Shorty was suicidal due to not having anyone to go see on shore leave. But Shorty is a douche and keeps fucking stuff up. Olive gets mad at them, kicks them out and Popeye shoots Shorty in the face with Shorty's gun at point blank range and kills him. I'm serious, that's a real cartoon.

They did a sequel to Duck Amuck where Bugs was the victim of the cartoon. It was not nearly as good as the original

Guest Ronixis

Ahh yes...

The 1921-1963 Golden Age.

I love the turtle shorts. Those are the only times Bugs Bunny ever lost something. The second one with Chuck Jones (He was in Termite Terrace back when he was 19) and Tex Avery was one of my favorites.

There is the Superman/Popeye parody they also did (Super Rabbit). Was fun though, even though Superman was the most "Mature" toon of the time and that was done by the Fleischer Brothers- the only true Comptison to Disney at those days. They also did Betty Boop, which was made before the Hayes Edict of 1930's. The first thirty or so shorts are the prototypes for most female cartoon roles until (IMO) Chetarra in the 1980's. I loved the one they had Boop and Max Fleischer talking on how they did the animation...It was fucking awesome. They also did the 1939 feature "Gullivers Travels", one of my faves.

Joe Barbara and Willam Hanna were KNOWN for Tom and Jerry. I saw the part where they have Jerry dancing with Fred Astrare, and I still for the life of me can't understand how they did that. They matched his moves with Fred with a T.

Of course, most if not all of the WB toons from the 1930's to 1962 are great, I love "What's Opera Doc?" Because that sets the gold standard for years to come.

But I consider Astro Boy the last of that great era. He realised how powerful American Cartoons were for war, he did Astro Boy for the children, because he cant change Adults hearts. and in some ways thats true.

But after that, and until Star Blazers came along, there were only blips and beeps. It was not until the T'Cats came along and well, Its the best there is, was and ever will be IMHO.

Guest Bannable Offense

Duck Amuck is such a classic and I love it everytime I see it.

I'm going to have find me a copy of that episode now. You know you're not going to find that on Cartoon Network anytime soon.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Actually, I saw it late at night on Cartoon Network during their Popeye show. See, they're in a darken stove and the last image you see before they lose the light is Popeye taking Shorty's gun off of him and pointing it at his face, then it's all dark and you hear "BLAM!" and a puff of light. Then the letters, "Is This the End?" or something like that come on. It's not shown directly, but it's heavily implied that Popeye killed Shorty. When me and my friend Brian saw it, it blew our minds.

Guest The Notorious CRD

My personal favorites are Scooby Doo and the old superhero cartoons like Super Friends, etc. Yeah, some of them were cheesy, but I loved them as a kid.

Guest cabbageboy

I might be the only one who really has NEVER liked What's Opera Doc worth a crap. I also loathe those damn Bugs/turtle cartoons (Bugs does not job, he's the HHH of cartoons). For that matter I hate those two little mole/rodents that seem to get the best of Bugs despite having no heat to speak of.

I ask you....should a turtle or two gophers defeat Bugs, yet Daffy, Elmer, and Sam seldom get the best of him? It's not that I hate Bugs losing, but it should be to more notable characters.

I like the one with Count Bloodcount really well. Also the one with Daffy and his nephew in Elmer's office, Daffy plugs the kids talent.

Guest wildpegasus

The more I think about it the more I have to give the award to Astroboy. It wasn't my favourite growing up but just reminiscing with my friend about it made me realise how awesome it truly is.

What I liked about the series:

1)Atlas is perhaps the coolest villan ever and easy to relate to.

2)The robots in the series were awesome.

3)The two part? series with the robot tournament remains the coolest and most untouchable thing done on TV ever. It's impossable not to like this

4)There were no stupid cute goofy pets to hold the series down. Man, I always hated when TV sitcoms and cartoons did this

5)The series was emotional as it just drug you into it. The "machines are human too" theme that run throughout the show was well done.

6)I remember an episode vaguely where there was robot wrestling to the death. Now that is storytelling

I'm now finally going to be able to see the episodes unedited which I'm looking forward to. There was about a complete episode in the beginning that's taken out which explains how Atlas turns out the way he is. I think some of the stations where I live would even do editing on top of the edits already done.

Other great cartoons:

Spiderman

X-Men-greatest voice acting ever

Batman TAS

Gargoyles

The old superman series which just has fantastic animation especially for its time

Bugs Bunny

Popeye

He-Man My favourite when I was young

Transformers-I've watched the first 6 episodes and noticed they weren't as good as some later ones. There's a classic moment in this series where Optimus falls a long distance from the sky and then refuses help to get up.

Thunder-Thunder-Thunder-thundercats

Smurfs

The Mighty Hercules-With the strength of 10 ordinary men

I don't remember how good it was but I know watched the Bionic 6

Battle of the Planets-Most edited show of all time.

Guest The Amazing Rando

Do NONE OF YOU remember "The Scarlet P-P-P-Pumpernickel"~??

Daffy shoots himself in the head~!!

Guest Boo_Bradley

The Animaniacs had some very good cartoons. Along with their own, you had Pinky and The Brain, Chicken Boo, Good idea/Bad Idea etc mostly good stuff...

Guest WrestlingDeacon

From what was said in the original post, I thought we were just going with best animated short, not 'sitcom' or half hour type show.

The Puh-puh-Pumpernickel is wonderful. I love that one.

There's a Droopy cartoon that I love. It's in the Old West, and Droopy has to watch a jail and is asleep or something like that. These two no-goodnicks are trying to rob it, yet keep getting hurt. Everytime they hurt themselves, they go running out of town and scream like bitches. It goes on and on like that, and I laugh my ass off every time I see it.

One must give props to bravesfan for the one man baseball team. "Now pitching, Bugs Bunny. Catching, Bugs Bunny. First base, Bugs Bunny" and so on.

And of course, there's "I think I'll perplex him wit my Slowball."

"One, two, three strikes you're out. One, two, threee strikes you're out. One, two, three strikes you're out." More greatness.

Guest Mole

I know it is supposed to happen, but I hate the fact that in all Looney Toon cartoons, the good guy gets away. I can't stand to watch them.