TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Actors who sing....

I was watching a Don Johnson video yesterday(I believe that dipshit from Miami Vice) and the song was called "Heartbeat". Terrible song, in every which way, even had the obligatory ballad solo, you know what I'm talking about. The lyrics were also shitty, as I think he was trying to tug for teenage girl heartstrings. The video was funny though, he's a reporter who is in some war-torn country, and than he focuses on stalking...ermm, I mean "following" and videotaping women that he doesn't even know. Best part was when he saves some kid from an explosion, than tosses him into the dirt, leaving the kid to probably get shot or something. Of course they didn't show that, but in a scene of war who the hell wouldn't die in the crossfire?

Anyways, I'm more or less asking if any of you can recall actors that sing...badly that is. Is there any other way?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Not really. Don't forget Bruce Willis' blues band of suck, or Keanu Reeves' Dogstar. All kinds of actors and shit have their own bands, and they're all wretched to my knowledge.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

For me, the classic example is Eddie Murphy's abysmal "Party All The Time." The video is him in a studio, singing passionately, while Rick James pumps his fist and looks really excited behind the mixing desk. It's gold.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

That video was number one on MTV's 25 lame list and it's actually taken from a larger direct to video feature Johnson did to promote the song. Phillip Michael Thomas of Miami Vice did an album too.

Among the more popular singing actors you have:

The duo of William Shatner and Leonard Nimory from Star Trek, who are both in that so horrible it's hilarious way. Nichelle Nichols and Brent Spiner have released albums as well.

Jack Wagner

Rick Springfield

Lorne Greene (number one hit with Ringo)

David Naughton (I'm a Pepper guy and star of Makin' It)

Eddie Murphy

Joe Pesci (I have his "Vincent Laguardia Gambini Sings" album)

Clint Eastwood (a couple songs for films of his over the years, he's a great piano player though)

Jill Hennessy (has a couple songs on the Crossing Jordan soundtrack)

Tom Wopat and John Schneider from the Dukes of Hazzard. I've heard James Best sing on shows before, but I don't know if he ever did an album.

Larry Hagman (heard a country song he did on Dr. Demento once, not too bad really)

Jennifer Lopez naturally.

Jennifer Love Hewitt has done albums and was in KIDS Incorporated..

Kevin Bacon and his brother are in a band called the Bacon Brothers

Russell Crowe has a band called 30 Odd Feet of Grunts

You could count the Blues Brothers I guess too.

And the Spinal Tap guys

Cybill Shepherd had an album of standards in the seventies, brilliantly titled "Cybill Does it to Cole Porter."

Patrick Swayze with "She's Like the Wind" from Dirty Dancing.

Of course, you've got a bunch of actors who have done musicals over the years that had no right to be in them, such as Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls.

That's off the top of my head, might think of more later.

Ahh yes, I remember Bruce Willis' video, where he's playing pool and all that. Not much to add there.

I should point out that I used to think Murphy had a good voice when I first heard that song...and I still think it ain't all that bad. :S C'mon, his voice shows some potential. Song was still shit though.

Who was the other guy in Miami Vice that released a giant pile of suck?

Guest WrestlingDeacon

As I said above, the other guy from Miami Vice is Phillip Michael Thomas. They tried to do a Michael Jackson type thing with him, but he came off more like Tito.

Guest razazteca

Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman, Belushi Brothers as the Blue's Brothers or whatever name Aykroyd & Jim are using today.

Guest Nevermortal

Party All the Time was the fucking shit.

Ever heard Billy Bob Thornton's band? ITS SO FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Guest DrTom

Let's not forget the overseas drawing power of...

DAVID HASSELHOFF~!

His popularity only proves that Germans are easy to please.

Guest saturnmark4life

I actually think David Hasselloff performing in a suit covered in fairy lights at the fall of the Berlin Wall is one of the most beautiful moments in world history.

In the UK, Vinnie Jones is er, bad.

Guest Insane Bump Machine

DAVID HASSELHOFF~!

He was popular in Germany, yes. 12-15 years ago. He's a faded memory now. What makes you think that he's still a star around here?

Guest Kingpk
For me, the classic example is Eddie Murphy's abysmal "Party All The Time." The video is him in a studio, singing passionately, while Rick James pumps his fist and looks really excited behind the mixing desk. It's gold.

Hell, by the end of the video, James had essentially shoved Eddie out of the picture and sung the rest himself.

Guest iamsherm

Jason Schwartzman of Rushmore, Slackers, etc. plays in Phantom Planet. His brother Robert, who had a part in The Princess Diaries, is the frontman for Rooney. Not that I think these bands are bad necessarily (in fact, far from it), I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Guest kingkamala

Speaking of actors who sing, William Shatner is recording another album after 30 years after his "acclaimed" debut the Transformed Man. I can't wait I might actually have to buy that, just to see what it's like.

Guest godthedog

shatner should be disqualified. i mean, the guy was obviously trying to be hilariously bad, & he succeeded brilliantly. i can't imagine anyone listening to him should out "mister tambourine maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" and not crack up.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I like how people are repeating all the names I already said.

Shatner was very smart in the fact that he gave into the humor and went in that direction, but Transformed Man was done in a completely serious vain. The concept was to do dramatic readings of songs in that sort 'speaking on key' way that you find in The Music Man and My Fair Lady that gave Richard Harris a huge hit with his rendition of "MacArthur Park." It just turned out hilariously bad and Shatner rode the wave. It really wasn't until the mid-ninties that his singing took on cult proportions. My favorite of his is "Rocket Man" and if you can find the footage of him doing it at that sci-fi awards show, so much the better. It's probably the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Leonard Nimoy is even worse than Shatner as he actually tries to sing. "Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town" and "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" are two top ones from him.

Guest KanadianKrusty

DAVID HASSELHOFF~!

He was popular in Germany, yes. 12-15 years ago. He's a faded memory now. What makes you think that he's still a star around here?

Three words: KNIGHT FUCKIN' RIDER, everybody like Knight Rider, and Tom, you're going to die for what you said.

Guest DrTom

Hey, I think Knight Rider was tremendous. I catch it in repeats whenever I can.

But Hasselhoff is a big goober who shouldn't be anywhere near a microphone with the intention of singing. His popularity *anywhere* is almost enough to get me to start believing in the paranormal. Almost.

Guest Eagan469
I like how people are repeating all the names I already said.

well, you listed pretty much all of them, so I figured I'd chip in my least-favorite

Guest godthedog

DAVID HASSELHOFF~!

Three words: KNIGHT FUCKIN' RIDER, everybody like Knight Rider, and Tom, you're going to die for what you said.

i hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but that show sucks. it's horrible. story-wise, acting-wise, and production values-wise, it's worse than baywatch.

Guest godthedog

oh, don't get me wrong: kit, as a gimmick, is about as kick ass as it gets. i was talking about the writing, the acting & the production values.

Guest Ripper

Anthony Stewart Head- Giles from Buffy and that dude from the coffee commercials back in the day has a album called "Music for Elevators" I play that album at least twice a week. I think he is a success story out of the long list of bad, bad actor/singers.

James Marster(also from Buffy) has a great voice although I am not a fan of his band.

Guest El Satanico
Leonard Nimoy "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"

I love that song...it's friggin hilarious. The video is great too, with a bunch of midgets dressed as hobbits dancing around.

Biiiilbooo Bilbooo Baaaaggiiins