1. 1. Best Musical Decade

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's

Guest godthedog

i disagree. the 70s had pat boone, captain & tenille, barry manilow...i could go on.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Pat Boone was big in the fifties, he was a washed up has-been by the seventies.

Barry Manilow had ten top 40 hits between 1980 and 1983 and had been a songwriter since the late sixties.

Captain and Tenille you got right and they did suck.

Guest Spicy McHaggis
50's

Why? Just out of curiousity. I'm a fan of the 50's. Elvis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis.

Honestly, I think the 50's is the best because:

1) It has a wider variety of music featuring really talented artists

2) A lot of famous musicians got their starts during this decade

3) It, along with the 40's, opened the door for these other decades to push the limits

4) It inspired much of the music that came later

Guest godthedog

i change my objective vote to the 90s. those first 6 years were just too great.

Guest goodhelmet
Easily the sixties.

EXACTLY!

beatles, stones, who, kinks, turtles, motown, stax, british invasion, san francisco, woodstock, dylan, etc.

no other decade can touch the 60's in terms of influence, longevity and substance.

Guest godthedog

but the 90s had jeff buckley, ween, tori amos, radiohead, bjork, nirvana, beck, soundgarden, pj harvey, portishead, the beastie boys, sarah mclachlan, nine inch nails, smashing pumpkins, liz phair, pearl jam, r.e.m., tool, rage against the machine and the beatles (sort of).

Guest CanadianChris
and the beatles (sort of).

"Free As A Bird" never happened. You hear me? IT NEVER HAPPENED.

I voted for the sixties. So many legendary acts got their starts in the sixties (with so many diverse sounds) that it's not even funny.

Guest Brian

Sixties. Davis and Brubekc had been experimenting with jazz, San Francisco and the British Invasion.

Guest Cavi
The 90s gets my vote, as it saw the birth of the various electronica genres I listen to.

Didn't Aphex Twin start out in the 80s? Surely he's crucial to the development of electronica. At least that's what I thought, I dunno.

Yeah, his career did indeed start in the 80s, though his first release wasn't until the 90s, and his impact is more relegated to that decade. In addition, he isn't really grouped under the electronic genres I listen to, mainly trance and progressive, which came to fruition in said decade (I could have been more specific in my previous post, as "electronica" can either be taken as sort of a specific genre in regards to some musical acts or an all-encompassing one, which is how I was using it).

Guest notJames
i change my objective vote to the 90s.  those first 6 years were just too great.

I agree whole-heartedly. However, if it were possible, I would make it '88-'95. Just awesome music from so many different genres all at once.

Guest godthedog

well...if that were possible, 65-75 might win, cause zeppelin, the who and the stones all peaked in the early-mid 70s.