1. 1. Best Musical Decade

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's

Guest Vern Gagne

I think the 70's. A great variety. Great rock songs, great old school country songs, great R&B/Funk songs, and yes even some disco songs are good.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I had to go with the seventies too, most of the music I love and listen too come from that decade or near to it.

Honestly, I have to say that the second best decade was probably the 40's. You had some underground musical sounds like jazz, blues and country starting to peak into the mainstream, the heyday of the big band sound and the stellar primes of some of the century's best singers like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin. The 40's was the birth of the 'pop' era in music.

I had to go with the 60s. So much great music came from that decade. The early Motown, the British Invasion, tht Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett, to the Woodstock Generation.

The Blues of that decade is a thing of beauty as well, but then again, Blues is beauty.

Guest godthedog

personally, i say the 90s. those first six years were great.

personal bias aside, gotta go with the 60s. british invasion, velvet underground, & later-era miles davis.

Guest redbaron51

the 80's

Punk was carryied into the decade it, followed by New Wave of British Heavy Metal, then the thrash metal, then the origins of Death Metal.

Guest INXS

I had to go with the 70's. Nothing like that raw classic rock sound.

Oh, anyone votes for the 00's I'll come to your house and kick you right in your left testicle!

Guest Eagan469

80's - it's when music spun-off into every genre you could possibly imagine

The New Romantic movement (Human League, Spandau Ballet, ABC, etc.) and the stuff that came out of it was YEARS ahead of its time

Guest BAR

Had to go with the 70's, but I've got favourites from each. My favourite Floyd albums, Led Zep, Sabbath, uhh....Eagles.

Guest redbaron51

nothing wrong with the Eagles.

Hell, I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac fan.

Guest Vitamin X

Many people forget that while the modern 90's/00's suck, the first half was nothin but gold. Also, it started the prominence of rap/hip-hop (which I personally dislike but I guess is important, somehow), but in the first half is pretty much most of my favorite music.

And it's where underground metal really started taking off.

Guest spiny norman

I think the 60s are the best far and away, but my heart is with the 80s.

The 80s closely followed by the 70s, again closely followed by the 60s. Each decade had a significant revolution in music, the impact of which is still being felt in this new milennium, which has yet to have its revolution...

Guest razazteca

80s because I mark out for the Def Jam rap, hair band and heavy metal, George Clinton solo work, Freestyle, Tom Petty, Huey Lewis, Prince, Michael Jackson (when he was black)

80s because I mark out for the Def Jam rap, hair band and heavy metal, George Clinton solo work, Freestyle, Tom Petty, Huey Lewis, Prince, Michael Jackson (when he was black)

From The Simpsons:

Disco Duck and Fleetwood Mac

Coming out of my 8-Track

Michael Jackson still was black

Those were the DAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYS!

Guest Polish_Rifle

The 80s were definitely the best, with power ballads, hair bands, electronica, Euro bands like Depeche Mode, Human League, Pet Shop Boys...the list is endless.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The last couple years of the 60's up until the last couple years of the 70's. That had great classic rock material, great metal and hard rock. Basically, all the prime stuff of many of my favorite bands. Second would probably be the late 80's to the late 90's, for the same reason.

Guest Youth N Asia

WHat, now swingin 20s?!

I'll take the 80s though, for REM and Elvis Costello's work anyway.

Guest Vern Gagne
WHat, now swingin 20s?!

I'll take the 80s though, for REM and Elvis Costello's work anyway.

I should of included the the 20's, 30's and 40's. All 3 decades had good music. I guess I started in the 50's because that's when Rock n Roll became mainstream.

Guest CoreyLazarus416
the 80's

Punk was carryied into the decade it, followed by New Wave of British Heavy Metal, then the thrash metal, then the origins of Death Metal.

My reasoning is the same. Also...TEARS FOR FEARS~!

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

60's for me. Beatles, VU, motown...but the 90's are close. U2's best work, Massive Attack, Outkast, Radiohead...You know, I could honestly make an argument for any decade from the 60's on. I like that.

Guest Midnight Express83

I am a product of the 80s, so the 80s wins it. My favorite group: New Edtion and my two favorite artist: Prince and Michael Jackson all were in their primes in the 80s.

Guest Cavi

The 90s gets my vote, as it saw the birth of the various electronica genres I listen to.

Guest Vern Gagne
50's

Why? Just out of curiousity. I'm a fan of the 50's. Elvis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis.

Guest Vern Gagne

The more I look. Every decade from the 50's to the 90's has had good music.

Guest saturnmark4life
The 90s gets my vote, as it saw the birth of the various electronica genres I listen to.

Didn't Aphex Twin start out in the 80s? Surely he's crucial to the development of electronica. At least that's what I thought, I dunno.

I think I'm gonna go with the 80s from a personal standpoint. I think the 60s and 70s might have seen more change, but The Smiths were the greatest band of all time, and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise. Then we also had Pixies, the Butthole Surfers and Michael Jackson to name a handful of huge contemporary influences. Of course, in the 70s, Sparks were making some of the greatest songs ever recorded, and in the 90s Sonic the Hedgehog for Mega Drive/Genesis featured some truly fucking brilliant music. I'm not joking. Of course, a lot of people like Nirvana et al, but give me 'star light zone' anytime.

Guest mesepher
The more I look. Every decade from the 50's to the 90's has had good music.

yes.. and that is what gets remembered. They've all had their peaks... but also there has been a lot of shit thats comes out of every decade... although, moreso in the past twenty years