TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dangerous A

The official 2003 NBA free agents thread

Guest Dangerous A

I felt to keep NBA free agent signings as well as sign and trade news in this folder. Here is a list of the top 20 free agents according to CBSsportsline.

1. Tim Duncan PF-1 NBA-4 Starter Player Option

2. Jason Kidd PG-1 NBA-13 Starter Player Option

3. Gary Payton PG-4 NBA-16 Starter

4. Karl Malone SF-4 NBA-18 Starter

5. Jermaine O'Neal PF-5 NBA-19 Starter

6. Elton Brand PF-8 NBA-28 Starter Restricted

7. Jason Terry PG-6 NBA-29 Starter Restricted

8. Jerry Stackhouse SF-9 NBA-34 Starter Re-signs w/ WAS

9. Juwan Howard PF-9 NBA-35 Starter

10. Gilbert Arenas PG-8 NBA-36 Starter Restricted

11. Richard Hamilton SG-11 NBA-45 Starter Restricted

12. P.J. Brown PF-18 NBA-57 Starter

13. Andre Miller PG-11 NBA-58 Starter Restricted

14. Brad Miller C-4 NBA-67 Starter

15. Vlade Divac C-5 NBA-83 Starter Player Option

16. James Posey SG-23 NBA-86 Starter Restricted

17. Corey Maggette SF-23 NBA-87 Starter Restricted

18. Lamar Odom SF-26 NBA-95 Starter Restricted

19. Rasho Nesterovic C-9 NBA-97 Starter

20. Stephen Jackson SF-27 NBA-101 Starter

Pretty stacked lineup of Free Agents there.

Just heard a rumor that the Knicks are attempting to deal Sprewell to the Celts for Walker. Don't know if this is straight up or if there are more players involved.

Guest Polish_Rifle

For the record, I have faith that the Clippers will retain and extend the contracts of Brand and Odom. Kandi, Andre Miller, Maggette, Pike...I'm not as confident.

But then again I'm a Clipper fan so what do I know?

Guest Dangerous A
Jermaine O'Neal should be ahead of Payton and Malone

As should Elton Brand.

Guest Polish_Rifle

Stackhouse already reupped so he shouldn't even be on the list.

Guest Lethargic

Possibly the worse free agent signing of the year is already in the works....

The Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that the 76ers are offering Kenny Thomas a six year, $50 million dollar deal.

50 million for KENNY THOMAS! What? Are they nuts? He's a OK player but 50 MILLION?

Guest goodhelmet

duncan is off the market.

he is going to sign a 6-7 year deal on the 16th instead of playing out his option year. this will also give the spurs about $600,000 more under the cap than they already have to go after another superstar.

Guest Ripper

Paying Lamar Odem ANYTHING would be ridiculous. He is one blunt away from 2 years out of the league. He should be signing for a low contract and proving he can leave the narcata alone.

He is talented, but any team that pays alot for Roy Tarpley 2 would be idiots.

Guest Polish_Rifle
Possibly the worse free agent signing of the year is already in the works....

The Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that the 76ers are offering Kenny Thomas a six year, $50 million dollar deal.

50 million for KENNY THOMAS! What? Are they nuts? He's a OK player but 50 MILLION?

I would offer Lamar Odom that contract instead because we all know Donald T. Sterling will not match that type of offer.

Guest Dangerous A

I gotta go with Ripper on the Lamar Odom thing.

Odom has to prove that he won't fuck up and get booted for 2 years. Odom isn't worth the risk. I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years. If after 2 years he proves he can keep his nose clean, then I'd offer him the bucks.

Guest Lethargic

But even then, why would you? The only thing that will keep him clean is the threat of not having that big contract. Once he's already signed to get like 7 years/75 million or something like that, what is going to keep him check? Even if he kept clean for 2 years I'd still be scared that as soon as I sign him he'd get busted for celebrating that night with a couple of prositutes and a mirror full of cocaine.

Guest Dangerous A

Like I said, he'd have to prove himself for 2 years and by then, he may not be worth a crazy contract deal, which is when you could cut him loose. I think if he were to keep his nose clean of any and all brushes with the law and still play at an all star type level, then I could see rewarding him with a 3-5 year deal afterwards.

I do think he has fucked up enough to where he would never earn a 6 year or higher deal ever.

Guest Polish_Rifle

The dude smoked some weed and has learned from his mistakes. The Clips should do the right thing and give him a 5-6 million dollar contract to tie this guy up before the rest of the league figures out how good he really is.

Guest Ripper

Polish...I buy that excuse once...ONCE. But he got back from the suspension and did it AGAIN. You KNOW that once you are caught violating the drug policy that they will give you random checks. You KNOW that you run the risk of being put out the league for years and might not get another chance. Yet you go out and smoke some MORE weed?

Come on, he has something to prove...let alone the fact that he has been very injury prone the last few years. On the court, I know that most of the league knows how good he was. I mean, there were talks of a Iverson for Odem straight-up during one of the "we must trade Iverson" days. People know how good he is, it is that he must prove what kind of guy he is off the court and if he is really worth the risk.

I do see the clippers giving him an extension, but mostly because I don't see many other teams willing to take the chance on him getting another strike.

Guest razazteca

Lamar Odom should go to the Trailblazers he will fit in real well.

Guest Polish_Rifle

I still think the Clips should have some faith in LO and give him a nice extention. It will show the other free agents that they have turned over a new leaf and are COMMITTED to winning.

Its not that bad of an investment considering what his signing could signal to the free agents to be: Quentin Richardson, Keyon Dooling, Marko Jaric (in 2 yrs) and this year's free agents: Maggette, Andre, Brand, Kandi.

Guest Lethargic

How does signing Odom make anybody think the Clippers are committed to winning? Odom has been there for a few years now, how many winning records as helped the team reach? Oh yeah, none. He hasn't proven anything but that he's a injury prone pothead. To me it'd just be the same old mediocre team re-signing the same old mediocre player to help maintain the team's level of mediocrity.

Guest Dangerous A

Just to update some free agent bits I got from CBSsportsline.

Corey Maggette visited with the Nuggets today. (sorry Polish Rifle, he may be gone)

Pacers president Donnie Walsh confirmed that while the Pacers priorities are re-signing Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller, and Reggie Miller, both O'Neal and Brad Miller have scheduled meetings this week with other teams. Notable is O'Neal meeting with the Mavs and Spurs.

Guest Human Fly

I don't think that the Nuggets will make the playoffs this year or anything, but they could really see a big improvement if they get a couple of the guys they are talking to (Maggette, Andre Miller, Arenas) to go with Carmello and Nene. In a season or two I wouldn't be surprised to see them competing for a playoff spot.

Their new uniforms are ugly though.

I agree with Ripper and DA about Odom. Very risky to fork out the bucks. The only problem is that someone in the league will be willing to do it. Should the Clips match, or let him walk?

Guest phoenixrising

Maggette is as good as gone. There are a lot of teams that want him, if the Clips could work out a sign and trade they could probably get a good deal for him. So is Olowokandi, he's been a bust and probably needs a change in scenery. I think Brand being resigned is a lock, Sterling is reportedly a big fan of his (that's news in and of itself - Sterling watches basketball?). Odom, maybe. But no way he's worth $50 mil. He's always hurt and the drug tests are big strikes against him. The Clips might be the only takers now. Lots of rumors are flying regarding Miller returning to Utah (he was a star at the University of Utah) and becoming the heir apparent to Stockton.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I would definatly go for Odom, but I wouldn't give him more than 2-3 years. Between injuries and suspensions the guy is a clear risk no matter how good he is.

I'd actually like to see him talk to the Bulls, especially if they can work out some kind of trade with Rose.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I feel so bad for Clippers' fans. They desperately try to hold onto the belief that their team will climb out of the lowest most disgusting pits of hell and it just will never happen. They're just not committed to winning and when you're not committed to winning, you tend to lose all of your team outside of poor Eric Piatowski who still wears his jersey with pride.

For some reason, if i was GM of any team, I'd try to sign Jordan. Then I'd trade him for like Scott Williams. Ya know, just to fuck with him.

Kenny Thomas is getting huge offers because he had such a good playoff run. It ain't deserved but GMs always nut themselves when they see something like that. "Oh My God! He put up 15 and 15 against Ben Wallace, he's good for 20/20 next year, guaranteed!"

And finally, I'd do Spree for Walker if I'm Boston. Spree may take a lot of stupid shots too but at least he's capable of making them, unlike Walker and his tendency to spot up at the time line.

Guest alkeiper

Philly's offering Thomas lots of money because they can go over the cap to sign him, something they can't do if they sign a player outside the team.

Guest Polish_Rifle
How does signing Odom make anybody think the Clippers are committed to winning? Odom has been there for a few years now, how many winning records as helped the team reach? Oh yeah, none. He hasn't proven anything but that he's a injury prone pothead. To me it'd just be the same old mediocre team re-signing the same old mediocre player to help maintain the team's level of mediocrity.

The knock on the Clips is that they are more commited to profits than winning. If Sterling can re-sign one of his stars to a big contract, much less a star that has had problems in the past, it would translate in the minds of other free agents to be that maybe Sterling has turned a corner and will actually open his WALLET.

I'm not saying that it is THE only answer to turn the perception around in Clipperland but a sign of faith in Odom and his skills will undoubtedly alter the stigma that the Clips don't care about winning and they just want to make $$$.

Guest Polish_Rifle

I just got more news form the LA Times...

In the LOS ANGELES TIMES, Elliott Teaford reports that Clippers power forward Elton Brand "has received a five-year contract offer at about $65 million, but he hasn't decided whether to accept or wait for a longer-term deal from the team." The "salary figures are the same for the first five seasons of a so-called "max-out" seven-year deal." Free agents are eligible to sign with teams on July 16. :headbang:

Take the money Elton.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Some other team is going to offer him seven. Sterling will match it though.

If Brand was smart he'd sign a piddly one year deal with the Clips and then get the fuck out next year.

I hope Arenas some how stays with the Warriors as it would just suck for all the progress they made this past year to amount to nothing and there is no way they'll get the hometown guys like Kidd or Payton.

Guest Lethargic

ESPN Insider is saying that Juwan Howard is nearing a deal with the Timberwolves.

Guest Dangerous A

Howard possibly joining the T Wolves may be the piece that gets KG out of the first round. Not a title, but at least out of the first round.