TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dangerous A

The official 2003 NBA free agents thread

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
Bottom line, Sterling must resign at least 3 of his free agents (Brand, Odom, Maggete/Kandi) in order to show his team and this city that he is committed to winning.

dude, seriously, he's not commited to winning. FIND A DIFFERENT TEAM.

Pippen is officially (well, not officially, but whatever) headed to the Bulls.

I have to ask, if the Spurs are checking out Nestoricivniindflshdf and Miller, why aren't they talking to Olawakandi?

Guest razazteca
I don't like the lakers because shaq is a cocky bastard that gets away with murder in the paint and has the nerve to call himself the best. I don't like the lakers because Kobe Bryant is MAYBE the 4-5 best 2 guard in the league but swears that he is the best(and so do the commentators.)  I don't like the lakers because they complain about officiating but get every call under the moon and were part of 2 of the most disgustingly oneside officiating games I have ever seen in my 20 years watching the game (Game 6 in Sacramento last year and the OT game vs the Wolves this year). I don't like the Lakers because the league wanted another dynasty and did everything in their power to make people buy the Lakers as one.  But if they had went and got a defending, rebounding 4 and a couple of legit shooters, then I would gladly say they made smart moves.  BUT THEY DIDN't  And if they don't take a shot at a Steve Kerr, or Steve Smith or Eric Piakowski, they still did nothing in the offseason.  The spurs are STILL better at 3 positions, and all they will be playing is the same Laker team without the shooting ability of Derek Fisher on the court.

There is no possible way in this universe that I couldn't disagree with you more. Everything you wrote is wrong.

Well at least now the Lakers will be stronger at the Forward spot now that Mark Madsen will not be standing around on the court looking like a deer in headlights. Neither will the Lakers have Rick Fox on the court as often forcing shots out of nowhere.

The Spurs strength at Guard might get weaker as Speedy Claxton is looking to get paid elsewhere, one of the teams he is considering is the Wizards. Spurs still own the Lakers at the Powerforward spot, Duncan or Rose can handle Malone on the court as long as the Mailman does not throw elbows.

Guest Ripper

And Toni Parker OWNS Gary Payton. There is no 2 ways about it. He OWNS him.

And I don't know what is wrong with you guys or what games you are watching...Rick Fox gone=bad for the Lakers. He is their best on the ball defender, and dependible shooter when you kick it out to him and has really wavy hair. Who is going to bring the wavy hair? Deven George?

Guest Polish_Rifle

I call that Salary cap floor, the Clipper Rule. David Stern is a genius and he is forcing Sterling to spend some fucking money or else he will tax the hell out of that team.

Guest razazteca

Toni Parker is good but he became useless in the Finals when he lost his confidence and became inconsistant at shooting like majority of the team.

I wish the Spurs would keep all of the guards so they can mix and match when one of them become inconsistant. The Spurs needs somebody to play center, since Duncan does not like to play that position, even though they play well with him there and Rose at the Forward spot. So who will the Spurs get in this Free Agent race? Will they get anybody? Or are counting on the Chinese player that was injuried most of the season last year? It might as well be some CBA lifer who gets the spot.

It does look like its either going to be a Clipper or Brad Miller as I do not see Nestovich of the T-Wolves leaving. It seems like every free agent the Spurs were looking into just don't want to leave the East.

Guest Lethargic

Does Ripper watch the same NBA as everybody else? I was already curious about that question after reading him say that Greg Osertag played his ass off. I really have no idea what league that happened in. But now he says that Gary Payton is owned by some chick named Toni Parker. It's like some alternate universe NBA or something.

Guest Ripper

I'll give you time to go look it up and come back and tell me when Gary Payton has ever outplayed Toni Parker in a head to head matchup.

Gary Payton cannot play guards that change directions quickly. He never could. He is amazing against guards that try to back you down and such, but against offensive minded point guards he gets eaten alive.

And Greg Ostertag averaged double figures in rebounds and had 5+ blocks in 2 of the 6 games against the bulls and acouple of double figure scoring games (I believe he had like 19 in one game). Of course Luc Longly was the opposing center, but he played his ass of in the finals(and conference finals) for the Jazz in those two years.

Guest razazteca

Its FIBA World Championships :bonk:

Don't be hating on the French so much.

Lakers are still the 5th best team in the West.

Guest Polish_Rifle

Now the Mavs are trying to get Robert Horry and or Brad Miller.

Guest Ripper

(sigh)...why would the mavs want another shooter? One that can't really shoot that well?

Go for Miller...of course I think that if the Spurs get him, he might as well start getting fitted for that ring.

Guest Lethargic
I'll give you time to go look it up and come back and tell me when Gary Payton has ever outplayed Toni Parker in a head to head matchup.

You tell me who Toni Parker is first.

Guest Dangerous A
I have to ask, if the Spurs are checking out Nestoricivniindflshdf and Miller, why aren't they talking to Olawakandi?

Because Olowokandi is...

A) Overrated

B) Injury Prone

He'll also command a fairly high salary. There are other guys they might be able to get cheaper and who work harder. coughNestoroviccough

Guest razazteca

Parker has a championship ring and potential to be great but is currently inconsistant.

I do not trust any LA Clipper Free Agents.

I do not trust any LA Clipper Free Agents.

Besides being a Clipper fan I'm also a Spurs fan because Tim is my favorite player, so I don't get why the Spurs are not going after Olowokandi because he is a good player. If he got you 12 points and 9 rebounds like he averaged last year(compared to David's 9 and 8) then he will make a good addition to the team.

But then I would always trust a Clipper free agent more than a white boy center.

A, all 3 of those guys are overrated and injury prone. You're probably right about Kandi wanting more money, but the're gonna feel real dumb if they can't get the other 2 and he's already signed with someone else.

Guest Spicy McHaggis
And Toni Parker OWNS Gary Payton. There is no 2 ways about it. He OWNS him.

And I don't know what is wrong with you guys or what games you are watching...Rick Fox gone=bad for the Lakers. He is their best on the ball defender, and dependible shooter when you kick it out to him and has really wavy hair. Who is going to bring the wavy hair? Deven George?

You, sir, are nuts. Certifiably.

Guest Flyboy

Juwan Howard signs with the Magic..

Juwan Howard hopes to have a magical time with his newest team.

Howard has verbally agreed to a five-year deal with Orlando for about $28 million, the Orlando Sentinel reported in Monday's editions.

The newspaper reports the deal will begin at the Magic's mid-level exception worth $4.8 million. The veteran forward can't sign the deal until the league's free agency period begins on Wednesday.

Howard also was being recruited by the Timberwolves and the Pistons.

Howard's agent, David Falk, told The Associated Press that he wouldn't comment until Wednesday. Orlando Magic spokesman Joel Glass also declined to comment to the AP.

"I want to win," Howard told The Sporting News earlier last week. "That has always been my goal since Day One, since I stepped foot in the NBA. I have had an opportunity to win at all levels, college and high school. Now, I am in a position that I can make a decision to go anywhere I want to go, and I am excited about that."

Howard, 30, a nine-year veteran, averaged 18.4 points and 7.6 rebounds with the Denver Nuggets in 2002-03. He has averaged 17.9 points and 7.5 rebounds for his career.

"I do whatever teams want me to do," Howard told The Sporting News. "In Dallas, I was the fourth option and I accepted that role and we made it to the second round and won over 50 games. In Denver, they wanted me to be the go-to guy. I accepted and put up 19 points a game."

McGrady, Gooden, Howard, and Gaines... okay, my Magic will get back the first round in 2004.

ESPN.com and Sportsline are now reporting that Andre Miller will sign an offer sheet with the Nuggets. Assuming Maggette eventually signs as well, and assuming that neither offer sheet gets matched a possible starting lineup of Miller, Maggette, Anthony, Hilario, and Camby (if he is healthy) sounds decent.

Well, that means they are going to go old school and try to win by outscoring teams 135-131, because on paper that does not look like a good team on the defensive end.

The Magic getting Howard makes me happy. They get in him a scorer to take pressure off of T-Mac, a rebounder to help out Gooden, and a decent defender. Slot him at the 4 and move Gooden to the 5 (even though he hates playing it) and you have a decent front court.

I am hoping that ONE of the Magic's prospects pan out this season as they have not chosen very well in the draft at all over the past few years.

Edited by Rendclaw

Guest Flyboy
ESPN.com and Sportsline are now reporting that Andre Miller will sign an offer sheet with the Nuggets. Assuming Maggette eventually signs as well, and assuming that neither offer sheet gets matched a possible starting lineup of Miller, Maggette, Anthony, Hilario, and Camby (if he is healthy) sounds decent.

Well, that means they are going to go old school and try to win by outscoring teams 135-131, because on paper that does not look like a good team on the defensive end.

Look how far the Mavs got with offense alone.

Guest razazteca

The Clippers is the place where you send players to kill their morale, its free agents are damaged goods. I am having flashbacks of Derek Anderson as being the "chosen one" who could stop Kobe, it never happened......poor guy could not take a hard foul.

Give me the tall white boy who can perform and behave himself just make sure he is not a clone of Shawn Bradley.

As for David Robinson, well, he has not really done anything in years due to injuries and surprising did well this year in the playoffs because it was his last game(s).

Look how far the Mavs got with offense alone.

I'm sorry but as much as I like to watch, pure offense is only going to get you so far.

The Mavs merely made it farther than most teams have.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

The Mavs made it as far as they did because Scottie Pippen and Chris Webber's legs exploded at just the right time. I actually kind of respect Van Exel now because he flat out came out and said that more or less after their defeat to the Spurs.

Kevin Ollie looks to be heading to Cleveland. I...am indifferent.

Christ, everyone who looks like they're about to make it big time deal wise (Spurs, Wolves) ends up getting violently raped by teams that have little to no hope. All of a sudden, the friggin Magic are Eastern Conference forces.

I say we form a team and join the east, we'd be a 7 seed at the very worst.

Guest Dangerous A

Rumor going around that may see the Cavs deal Ricky Davis and some other trash thrown in in exchange for Wally Sczerbiak.

I am not sure if I like that deal on either end. Wally has been a disappointment somewhat in regards to being a leader and Davis, while explosive, has been known to be a rebel and a guy who doesn't like to attend practice that often.

Guest Choken One

That would be better for Lebron since he won't have to put up with Davis's bullshit child play...

Guest ant_7000

I hope Davis and Sczerbiak deal is true because the T-Wovles need a player who's not scared to touch the ball when its crunch time while KG is being doubled.

Guest Dangerous A

Agreed. He won't have that cancerous lockerroom prescence spoiling his young and impressionable mind.

However, Ricky Davis is fucking spectacular on a basketball court. That dunk over Steve Nash this year made my fucking season.

Guest ant_7000

I think Ricky was acting that way because the Cavs matched the salary offer from the Wolves last year. The fact that Cavs sucked he just padding his stats for possible suitors. I think a change of scenery will do him good thou.

So if that happened, would they put Szerbiack at 3? And for christ sake someone decide what position Wagner plays already.

And KG could really use a scorer to help out when he's doubled (always). He doesn't really need some bum bitching about how he's not getting 30 shots though, so call it a wash.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Ricky Davis, while selfish as all hell can score and there for the Wolves need him badly. Granted, they got Cassel, but a back court of Cassel and Davis would be a nightmare for defenders. Or a nightmare for the Wolves depending on if they make their shots or not.

Guest Dangerous A

If Flip Saunders can keep Nestorovic and balance Cassell and Davis's egos (if the trade goes down) I can see the Wolves finally making it out of the first round.

:: sees the Lakers sign Payton and Malone, the Spurs are defending champs and Duncan is still healthy, the Mavs are still healthy and making moves, and Webber is not going to jail and the Kings are keeping the same personnel ::

On second thought...