TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

The One And Only NWA:TNA Thread...

Guest EN090
still don't get what TNA's trying to prove by booking Styles as a weak heel champion like Chris Jericho was in WWE...He can't win without people helping him every time. I know heels do that, but still, I can't help but think of Jericho's weak title reign.

They're trying to get D'Lo over as well so the can't have Styles go over D'Lo clean.

I don't think TNA should be mocking their competition- It's just bush league.

I still don't get why people always say that. There's nothing bush league about it. No one bitched when WCW and WWF used to take shots on each other. It's what made the Monday Night Wars so great. I know TNA isn't on the level WCW was but it still makes the show more exciting and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Guest bob_barron

People always used to bitch about WCW and WWF taking shots at each other- I remember thinking it was so stupid. TNA should focus on making their own product better- not on making light of the competition's product

Guest EN090

Well while you thought it was stupid plenty of people thought it was exciting. It was a huge part of the Monday Night Wars which was the most successful period in wrestling since HulkaMania. Madusa throwing the Women's belt in the trash on Nitro, DX's invasion of WCW, etc - a lot of that built the audience up back in the late 90's.

And just because TNA took 1 shot at WWE doesn't mean they're not trying to make their own product better. It's just part of the show and there's nothing wrong with it.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

Kinda blah show. The tag title match should have had more build, although i like Disco better as a manager than a stable's inspriational leader.

I'm all for a Daniels upper card push. Leave Elix to the X division though, because he just fits better there for now.

Lynn & Kash apparently traded tights for the evening, & i wish that had gone on longer. I hope they kinda phase out the Watts feud & focus on someone like Lynn after his blowoff with Aldo. Lynn-Kash for a few weeks would be awesome, imo.

Legend remind anyone else of Kanyon? Either way, he wasn't too bad all, Jarrett continues to be the most overrated top carder this side of the RAW steroid needle, & Russo...i don't mind him as just a straight heel manager, but the shit he's doing is just fucking dumb. I''d think the head writer would think of better shit for himself than that.

X title match was kinda good, just wasn't as awesome as i'd hoped. For a few minutes i thought Delirious was Jeff Hardy in a hood, that's about it. Kazarian is fine, but i've heard he can talk, which he could fucking use right now since he has no personality in the ring yet. He can work, though.

Harris/Deep Sea Gangstas will suck harder than JR under a Levesque.

Barron, no offense, but be positive. It is an alternative, just not in the "something completely different" sense. I'd rather see Kash, Lynn, & Styles than HHH, Taker & Kane. Just don't piss & moan too much.

Bitching about the competition is one of the best things about the business from a fan perspective. I mean, i'd mark if JR said "In WWE, we don't have country singers as our world champion! We have hard working atheletes like Triple H!" See, the fun of it for me is that they do it because they can & pisses people off. If they do it well, like the Tri-racial Connection did tonight, it's one thing. if it's Oklahoma, it's another.

Guest bob_barron

I have tried to be positive about TNA but their shows suck for the most part.

I find it funny how whenever you're negative in the TNA folder people keep telling you to be more positive while in the WWE folder- well you know

They're the ones who keep trumpeting how they are the alternative to WWE- I'm just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the statement.

Guest bob_barron
Well while you thought it was stupid plenty of people thought it was exciting. It was a huge part of the Monday Night Wars which was the most successful period in wrestling since HulkaMania. Madusa throwing the Women's belt in the trash on Nitro, DX's invasion of WCW, etc - a lot of that built the audience up back in the late 90's.

And just because TNA took 1 shot at WWE doesn't mean they're not trying to make their own product better. It's just part of the show and there's nothing wrong with it.

Yes but WCW was an actual threat to the WWF- TNA is not. They should build up their promotion to their level before they take potshots at it.

And considering how the promotion has run matches like the Dupp Cup, the stuff with Bruce and has a non wrestler taking up a big chunk of the show- I don't see why they have room to mock.

Guest bob_barron

Speaking of which-

WWE is actually going to have their women fight at the PPV.

For two straight weeks TNA has teased a catfight that gets broken up .0000002 seconds later by security.

So at least WWE delivers what they hype.

First off, I was at the show tonight and it was pretty cool. The fans were electric all night which could have been the loudest yet. The biggest pop had to be for Don Callis, or when BG James spoiled Smackdown. Everyone went nuts when they heard him say that. The matches went pretty well, not too much interest in the 6 Man x division match but Kazarian is over with most of the crowd. (HAIL SABIN!) After the show, Russo, Styles, Sonny Siaki and Trinity held hands as victorious. Then Russo cam back in, mocked Jarrett and introduced Siaki, Styles and Trinity. Then Russo talked trash to Tenay and said there will be no rematch. A great show after last weeks lackluster but after all the problems they had with Watts, the two mexican guys and Raven, they pulled it off.

Edited by slimm44

Guest wrestlingbs
WWE is actually going to have their women fight at the PPV.

For two straight weeks TNA has teased a catfight that gets broken up .0000002 seconds later by security.

So at least WWE delivers what they hype.

AHAHAHAHHA!

Oh, you were serious...

You think TNA is bad on the bait and switch? They have nothing on the WWE in that department. At least TNA annouced ahead of time that some matches were cancelled. Vince is the master of screwing the fans.

I think Styles was doing that TNA talk thing.

I liked that Vengence comment. I really don't have a problem with it. They're just saying what I'm thinking.

And TNA hasn't teased a catfight. It's not like they put it up in the preview.

Guest bob_barron

They did announce ahead of time and I give them credit for that. Of course they shouldn't have announced that Raven, Casas and Shocker would be there in the first place but that's another thread.

But I don't see what the point is of teasing a catfight two weeks in a row on a show that people pay for.

And just because Vince bait and switches does not make TNA bait and switching acceptable.

Guest bob_barron
I think Styles was doing that TNA talk thing.

I liked that Vengence comment. I really don't have a problem with it. They're just saying what I'm thinking.

And TNA hasn't teased a catfight. It's not like they put it up in the preview.

Do you think a woman calling out another woman to fight and then security coming out to break it up would be considered teasing a catfight?

I know I do

Luke was on the show? NICE!!! Luke f'n rules (IMO). :D

I'd love to see him team with Daniels or Raven. He's got the gimmick to fall in with them, but it depends on how he was received by the fans.

So, who was this big guy? Grimes or Iceberg or someone else?

Yea, they teased it, I admit, wrong wording. I meant TNA hasn't hyped it up and that TNA hasn't put it in the preview and said the match was gonna happen.

Guest Lightning Flik

Just curious, but in the six way, was the Sydal mentioned, happened to be Cade Sydal? No reason, just other than the fact that I saw him in EWR and wondering if it's the same guy.

Guest wrestlingbs

Every wrestling company has bait and switched before, my point is that WWE is one of the worst offenders. The teased catfight is nothing compared to a teased Micheals vs. Jericho match, or Booker T's teased IC victories.

Guest bob_barron

HBK v. Jericho didn't bother me since Jericho already had a match scheduled so you KNEW nothing would happen. And they told the viewer that they will fight in two weeks. With the catfight they didn't really make the viewer want to tune in again.

What's the point of flying in and paying Simply Luscious all that money just to come out and get groped by security?

I have tried to be positive about TNA but their shows suck for the most part.

I find it funny how whenever you're negative in the TNA folder people keep telling you to be more positive while in the WWE folder- well you know

They're the ones who keep trumpeting how they are the alternative to WWE- I'm just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the statement.

Granted, they've had some of the most off off-nights in recent memory, but look at it like this:

3MW or XXX?

Raven or Maven?

Kid Kash or A-Train? Shit like that. TNA is at it's worst when you dwell on the negative (the first 6-8 weeks in nonwrestling segments-midgets included, 3 guys named Harris & only one worth shit, & the usual shit they crank out without even knowing it). WWE has nothing positive about it whatsoever now, as there's nothing the casual fan-smark or mark-can wholeheartedly enjoy without a big fucking backlash.

Speaking as an occasional poster in the WWE folder, i concur. But i've maintained a surprisingly positive outlook with them...despite not seeing a whole RAW since the week before the casket affair. Look at things like this: be it WWE, TNA, ROH-whoever you may choose, it comes down to the appeal of the ringwork in general. TNA has the edge there, but that's coming from a guy who missed the past 3 or so shows, so take what you will.

TNA IS an alternative, in the sense that it isn't run by a McMahon. There's no real set style they have to work, the titles seem to mean something compared to the E's, they have access to the best in the world if they chose to use it to it's fullest extent (Styles & XXX are great, but they could fly in god knows who else if they chose to. X division needs a Lyger match sometime dammit!) & it just is easier, imo, to watch a more "bush league" promotion in comparison to the McMahon monster, because you can rally behind it more. They do really DUMB shit sometimes (witness Russo in the JJ fetish gear tonight), but in the long run i'd take it just to get to the good matches. Russo is, homosapienly speaking, a schmuck. BUT, for every 10 stupid things he's done, he's done 1.5 good things. I'd sit through Russo rambling about how tradition sucks just for...well, ANY match. But the same can be said for Vinnie Mac, i suppose. Now that i've contradicted my statement enough, i'll cut it short by saying just enjoy the fact it's not a nearly 60 year old man cheating at an armwrestling match with a one legged guy. :huh:

Guest BrokenWings
Just curious, but in the six way, was the Sydal mentioned, happened to be Cade Sydal? No reason, just other than the fact that I saw him in EWR and wondering if it's the same guy.

I think it was Matt Sydal. He was alright, had some decent moves combined with good selling. Of course, with a match such as this, you can never really get a good look at their overall skills.

Guest Lemon Drop Kid

I've been a big TNA supporter for some time but I really thought tonight was the drizzling shizzle, dizzles.

Weakday Update ... Man. This was bad. Hey, guess what? Truth is black! LOL. And that Konnan fellow smokes weed. Oh, BG, you scamp!

Don Harris vs Shark Boy & Shane Douglas vs Julio were painful matches to watch.

The tag title match, I enjoyed. The Six-Man was okay but I honestly can't remember anything from it other than a couple of neat and creative Sydal moves, an awesome clothesline from Romeo (who was & is great), and the fact taht the finish was anti-climactic.

I did enjoy the promos. Sabin's semi-RVDish delivery was great, as was all the "MAYBE" "POSSIBLY" stuff as he was leaving. I also enjoyed his post-match attack/impromptu match, and since, yes, I am a mark for myself, the fact that he yelled out "HAIL SABIN!"

D'lo vs AJ was a good match for all 40 seconds that it lasted, and when I wasn't thinking about the fact that they had Vince Russo in a flimsy chicken coop.

D'lo should have come out and said "I had myself an equalizer. It was a couple of Mexican dudes, but they backed out on me, so I'm in this alone!"

Overall, however, I was just laughing at one of the worst TNA shows I've seen.

I'll keep watching though!

Guest BoboBrazil

The good thing about TNA is they listen to fans though, so they will make changes if people don't like something.

Guest sean pyro

yeah like we didn't want jeff to drop the title to raven and how we wanted more russo on tv :headbang:

Barron, they "hype" up the women catfighting, but they dont go out of their way to get ad space during RAW to say "Hey. 2 indy chicks will be fighting on Wednesday on PPV. Order now!" They send them out there and hype up the crowd and let the crowd boo. Tell me this. Would you rather them go out and cat fight 3 weeks in a row for 30 seconds, or have it broken up 3 weeks in a row and on the 4th week they just go at it.

And the thing about Simply Lucious can be said about anybody. Why pay Glen Gilbertti all of that money to be there and hes only one once or twice per show. Or why pay Scott Hudson and he was only on once. Or Trinity. Or Siaki.

And wont you accept that what happened with Raven, Casas and Shocker was beyond their control? How do you know that Casas and Shocker said "NO!" to jobbing, and then Jarrett said "OK. You will win." and they still said no? Casas and Shocker ditched the show, dishonored their agreement and decided not to appear. TNA couldn't have done anything about it. If you are promised a large sum of money, wouldn't you go off and tell everyone you know? Anyone would, bragging is natural. And thats what TNA did to an extent. They made an agreement with Shocker and Casas, they told everyone, then Casas and Shocker decided not to show up. And why risk the loss of viewers by not telling about Raven, even if you were unsure of him showing up? They thought Raven would be able to go by Wednesday, and he wasn't. Who's fault is it? Nobodys. It was an innocent case of misjudgment. If Raven needed back surgery and they hyped Raven to return, then thats another story.

TNA is the alternative. It might not be what you want, but take what you get or leave it. It might not have a card full of 5 star matches, and all wrestling and no talking, but they put on decent-great matches from time to time. You are letting your hatred for Russo overshadow everything else. Maybe he shouldn't be on TV, but that shouldn't keep you from enjoying a X Division match or whatever else was good tonight.

I think many people are forgetting what "alternative" means. It doesn't mean "WE ARE THE COOL ONES!~~", it means "allowing or necessitating a choice between two or more things". And thats what TNA gives you. You have a choice. To watch the WWE or TNA. To watch cruisers do what they want in the ring, or watch cruisers fight a scripted matchup. They give you a choice, not a whole new experience. Not to say that thats not what they give some people, as seen by that guy who thought tonights show was better than RAW and Smackdown, but they give you the oppurtunity to see the best of both worlds.

yeah like we didn't want jeff to drop the title to raven and how we wanted more russo on tv

Maybe you should go back in the past. What if Jarrett would have given Raven the belt. Where would Styles be? Would you "LORD~!" be the world champion? NO. He would probably still be taking down tag team with D'Lo Brown in the middle of the card. Jarrett made the right decision. While everyone wanted him to die so they could piss on his grave, it ended up being for the better. When was the last time you say a company's cruiserweight champion become the company's world champion? In a year no less.

Guest Raven_Effect01
When was the last time you say a company's cruiserweight champion become the company's world champion? In a year no less.

Yeah, but at this point, you might as well start calling him AJ JeriStyles with the way he's retained his title simply because he can't beat the challengers on his own, which leads me to believe that Styles is Jarrett's next victim to go back down to mid-card obscurity once AJ loses the title unfortunately.

Guest nl5xsk1
Yes but WCW was an actual threat to the WWF- TNA is not. They should build up their promotion to their level before they take potshots at it.

Taking potshots at each other go back longer than the Monday Night Wars ... back when wcw's tag line was "We Wrestle" (around '92) they constantly harped at their show being the better wrestling program and their wrestlers being the better atheletes. It wasn't as blatant as mocking Steph-vs.-Sable, but things were more subtle then.

And ecw was NEVER an actual threat to either wcw or the wwf, but they used to mock them all the time, and people didn't complain when they did it.

Guest eirejmcmahon

Normally I'd be against taking potshots at other feds on-air but in Steph/Sable is so ludicrous that I'm all for ripping the piss out of it.

As for the show itself, good tag opener but nothing of note after that. Two pretty weak back-to-back shows really.

Guest JMFabiano524
Yeah, but at this point, you might as well start calling him AJ JeriStyles

Y2AJ?