TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest godthedog

albums to go to sleep to

Guest godthedog

i'm sure many of you guys go to sleep to music, and i'm sure those same people have their favorites to use. list them here.

the best stuff for me tends to be soft and ambient (that seems like a pretty common sense thing to me, but other people might feel differently, i don't know). things that are subdued and blue. instrumentals help. my faves:

1. death in vegas, 'dead elvis'--except for track 3, which is weird bouncy reggae-type stuff (and too upbeat), it's perfect.

2. miles davis, 'in a silent way'--title fits the music pretty well. not a great album for me to concentrate to (the keyboards to me make it sound too artificial and distracting), but the textures are soft, smooth and round--so it's like sleeping with your head nestled against a girl's tits.

3. portishead, 'dummy'--don't think i should have to explain this one.

4. sarah mclachlan, 'fumbling towards ecstasy'--much softness going on with the keyboards, the production and the occasional drum machine. used to be THE album to go to sleep to when i spent the night at my best friend's house back in the day.

5. this mortal coil, 'it'll end in tears'--again, nice soft synths going on, the whole thing is fluid as hell. "song to the siren" goes down like water. would be in the top 2, were it not for that EXTREMELY ANNOYING fast-paced, new wave-sounding track that wakes me up every time it's on.

so list your own, argue with me, whatever.

Guest El Satanico

mellow "good for sleeping or relaxing" music tends to annoy me more than it relaxs me.

Fast paced loud stuff actually relaxs me.

Guest Ripper

Sade will put you and all those bands you just named to sleep. I think she is hypnotizing people myself.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I second Dummy. That's my number 1. In a similar vein, Lamb's self-titled album is almost as good, though the heavy remix of "Cotton Wool" hidden at the end of the disc usually wakes me up. The rest of the album is the perfect blend of soothy trip-hop and weird stutter-stop beats to exhaust. I hereby pimp it, and subsequently suggest that everyone listen to "Gorecki" in the dark and not feel like having sex.

Ride's Nowhere and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless are also good, but the blinding wall-of-sound approach lends itself better to a quick afternoon nap than a full night's sleep.

Guest evenflowDDT

Though I've never done it, I definitely see how Loveless could put someone to sleep. It's surprisingly relaxing, and great mood music.

As for album's I've actually fallen asleep too, the only ones I can remember were various classical pieces (including an orchestral version of OK Computer), a couple scores (namely Donnie Darko) and Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe.

Guest Youth N Asia

Automatic for the People by REM...if you manage to stay awake for the first 10 songs, NIghtswimming and Find The River should knock you right out.

Moondance by Van Morrison as well

Guest Incandenza

Brian Eno's Music for Airports. Knocked me right out just the other night.

EDIT: And I'll never forgive godthedog for insulting my favorite Miles Davis album. Bastard.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I can sleep to anything I listen to. I've fallen asleep to Slayer, Theatre Of Tragedy, Nile, and ICP.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

October Rust-Type O Negative

Thick distortion, like a mattress, and plenty slow.

Sunn

Nothing but hypnotic bass and weirdness.

Guest godthedog
EDIT: And I'll never forgive godthedog for insulting my favorite Miles Davis album. Bastard.

i compared it to a woman's tits, what higher compliment is there?

Guest BigPoppaKev

I like to listen to some James Taylor before I go to bed. In fact it is 2am and I am listening to him right now.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I need to get Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, huh? I haven't been on the female singer-songwriter thing much since Tori Amos stopped releasing good albums, but everything I've ever heard from this disc is super. I can always stand that.

Guest Nevermortal
Sunn

Sunn is the fucking weirdest shit I have ever heard. Its insane.

Guest notJames

The Sundays - Blind. Great album to mellow out to, plus it ends with a cover of the Rolling Stones' Wild Horses. I recommend it most fervently.

Enigma's MXMXC (I think thats the name of the album): it turned my ex on, while it would knock me out.

The Guitar Trio; John McLaughlin, Paco deLucia and Al DiMeola... played at just the right volume it soothes me right to sleep...

Though I think if I have my stereo play random music (having a 51 cd changer in a mini system rocks) and played at the right volume, i will go right to sleep.... or have winamp do the same thing....

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Sunn

Sunn is the fucking weirdest shit I have ever heard. Its insane.

Do you like it?

I've heard one of their cds, of which I'm not even sure of the title, and I know little about the band. The first 2 times I listened to it, I thought it was pretty dull and just weird for the sake of being weird, but after a few spins, I started to hear that there was a LOT more going on than I thought.

Guest Lord of The Curry

Even though it's a tad depressing right before bedtime, "Katy's Song" by Red House Painters puts me out like a light. The layered guitars and the subsequent buildup near the end of the song is fuckin awesome.

Guest Incandenza

I fell asleep during the second half of David Bowie's Low the other night.

Actually, I can fall asleep to anything, if I'm tired enough. I recall a time I zeroed out to the Flying Luttenbachers, which is this ridiculously noisy, abrasive grind-style free jazz band.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Flying Luttenbachers, you say? What's a good cd of theirs, or is it something nigh-impossible to locate?

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies. Every song on this album is so quiet and relaxing, yet haunted. It gives me chills, seriously.