Guest JMA

Age of consent

Age of consent  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Age of consent

• Let the States decide
    • It's not a matter of age

Guest JMA

What is your opinion on this issue? What do you think the age of consent SHOULD be?

Edit: I nulled my vote, BTW.

Guest Choken One

16. All Educated Teens are required for Sexual Education and must pass A NATIONAL EXAM to pass that class(Make it a Grad requirement). You can't recieve your drivers license without passing said class (If You're responsible to drive a Motor Vehicle with other lives on the line, You should be able to be responsible for your own life).

I'm sure 90% of you people will disagree.

Guest Anglesault

Most of the "ages" are fucked up. 21 to drink is absolutely bizarre

I think the average Junior in High School is educated enough to consent to sex.

Guest The Czech Republic

I went with 16, that sounds about fair. Anything under 16 and that's weird.

Guest Youth N Asia

I think it's pretty vulgar to have 13 and 14 on the list. 16 seems like the right age. 15 feels a little too young and 17's damn near an adult already.

Guest Bosstones Fan

17. If you can't see an R-rated movie, you shouldn't be able to give consent to sex.

Guest Anglesault
17. If you can't see an R-rated movie, you shouldn't be able to give consent to sex.

That's another fucked up age. 17 to see an R movie.

I was REAL young when I started to watch R type movies .

Still, 21 to drink takes the cake for asshole ages.

Guest Choken One

Not really...Do you want 16 years legally being allowed to drink driving?

It's bad enough kids already drinking and driving...It only becomes worse if you lessen the legal age.

Guest JMA
I think it's pretty vulgar to have 13 and 14 on the list.

Some countries have those ages as the age of consent. I was just trying to be fair, not vulgar.

Guest Youth N Asia
I think it's pretty vulgar to have 13 and 14 on the list.

Some countries have those ages as the age of consent. I was just trying to be fair, not vulgar.

I hope the two people that voted for 13 were just being funny...or trying to be funny.

15 or 16 is a reasonable age for R rated movies. You see worse on the news.

Guest Anglesault

If you're an adult at age 18, why can't you drink? You can vote, hell you can join the military.

All while drinking milk.

Guest JMA
If you're an adult at age 18, why can't you drink? You can vote, hell you can join the military.

All while drinking milk.

Like Kurt Angle. :D

Guest JMA
I hope the two people that voted for 13 were just being funny...or trying to be funny.

Or maybe they really believe that. I don't really care either way. I null my vote in most of the polls I create. I just like seeing the results.

Guest Sturgis
Not really...Do you want 16 years legally being allowed to drink driving?

It's bad enough kids already drinking and driving...It only becomes worse if you lessen the legal age.

No I think we want it down to 18.

Like Anglesaut said: You can, and you can join the military, hell you can buy smokes(remember you CAN smoke if under 18, just can't buy them) yu can die from two of those choices why can't you drink.

Think at age 19 you go to war die and didn't get to drink THAT'S NOT AMERICAN

Guest Youth N Asia

Rights of adulthood: Drinking, driving, smoking, and war..if you do all 4 of them one's bound to kill you.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Oh, and about the "17 to see an R-rated movie"...FUCK THAT NOISE. I've been seeing R-rated films since I was 4. You know what? I actually think that I'm more well-adjusted because of it. Sure, seeing somebody bleeding all over the place doesn't bother me. I'm not offended by somebody saying the word "fuck" or "cock" or "cunt" over and over again. And I'm damn sure okay when I see tits. But you know what? I had to wait 13 years before I could see those movies by myself. And even then, I still need ID because the fucking MPAA doesn't understand that Terminator 2: Judgment Day is NOTHING, not a fucking THING, compared to the graphic violence I can see by watching the 6 o'clock news.

Oh...and I know more about sex, probably, than my parents do. Position, birth control methods, what are risks and what aren't, etc. I don't see why I, at the age of 17, can charge somebody who is 19 for statutory (sp.?).

To me, its all subjective.

I have known a girl who at 13 knew more about sex, drugs and alcohol that some I knew that were three or four TIMES her age....

Conversely, I knew someone in her mid-to late 20s when I first met her who was like a frightened child any time you did so much as *talk* about sex....

but if you wanted me to give you a number, I would say 17 for sex, 18 for drinking... Canada has had a legal drinking age of 18 for the longest time... ::shrugs:: it just make no sense to me to have such a disparate age difference between smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. There is no major level of maturity in those three years, which is of course is subjective as well.

Guest Anglesault

Oh, and about the "17 to see an R-rated movie"...FUCK THAT NOISE. I've been seeing R-rated films since I was 4.

Exactly. I saw some "R" stuff at a very young age and I'm not Ted Bundy.

Guest Vyce

I think this should be a state's rights issue, and I'm surprised that more of you don't agree.

BTW, 21 to drink is fine by me. There's too many of you alkies anyway.

Guest DrTom
I think this should be a state's rights issue, and I'm surprised that more of you don't agree.

I agree 100%.

There should be no national "age of consent." Really, it's hard to set an age on things like maturity level, intelligence, ability to make decisions, etc. But examining ever case of potential statutory rape and similar crimes on a case-by-case basis would be unwieldy. Each state should definitely determine its own age of consent, though.

Guest nl5xsk1

Drinking age: I don't think 21 is too old for the national drinking age. A lot of 18/19 year olds look 21 so it's not too difficult to liquor even if you're not 21. But a 16 year old does not, so it's tougher for them. If the drinking age was still 18, some 16 year olds would look old enough and thus be able to buy. And 16 is far too young.

Age of consent: I voted 16, because most people have the mental capacity to make the right decision about things by that age. Younger than that is too young. And older than that just doesn't make sense to me; if kids had to wait until 17 to legally get laid, they'd explode during their first time.

Guest Ripper

Age of consent only really comes up when there is a sexual encounter between someone considered an adult and someone still considered a child. So, maturity or no, I can't see how anyone would think it is ok for someone to be 18+ having sex with a 13 year old. I don't think it is a states right issue. I don't care how much more a 13 year old from New York knows about sex than a 13 year old in Kansas. They are still 13 years old. Adults wanting to have sex with children is never okay.

16, I believe would be a alright age for consent, but I push more for the 18 age limit. This is the reason. At 16, you are still, presumeably, under your parents care. You are NOT a legal adult because you can drive. If you do certain crimes, your parents would STILL be somewhat responsible for your actions according to the law. Therefore, the parents gauge of what would be appropriate for the age of the person their child is dating should not be overturned by the law saying "No, your 16 year old can have sex with a 30 year old if she/he wants." By lowering the age of consent, you would in essense be taking away some of the parents ground to stand on.

Now before I see the post that say the law won't make a difference, I know that. But as of now, parents have a legal backing to protect there minors against those older whom they feel could be taking advantage. If you take away that, what do they have to stand on.

The same goes for drinking and the "R"rated movies. If the parents say no I don't want you drinking or no I don't want you seeing this movie, they should have something like the 17 age limit at the theater to back their decision. They should have something like a age limit on alcohol.

Guest JMA
So, maturity or no, I can't see how anyone would think it is ok for someone to be 18+ having sex with a 13 year old. I don't think it is a states right issue. I don't care how much more a 13 year old from New York knows about sex than a 13 year old in Kansas. They are still 13 years old. Adults wanting to have sex with children is never okay

I know of several countries that have 13 as their legal age. Some societies consider 13 to be a more adult age than we here in the States do. Not that I agree with it or anything. I'm still undecided on the whole issue myself.

Guest Ripper

Their bodies aren't even close to being done to developing around that age. There are alot of fucked up traditions in other countries, and that definately doesn't make it okay. (I understand that you might not agree with those tradidtions, you are just stating the facts. I am just saying..)

Guest NoCalMike

Adding to the previous poster. The age of consent for sex is tricky, because it really depends who the "consenter" is consenting too. Two sixteen year olds having sex is one thing, but what about a forty-five year old and a sixteen year old, where the sixteen year old is obviously being manipulated.

As far as alcohol, I think if you are deemed an adult at 18, then you should recieve all the same rights as every other adult.

Rated R movies, should not be a federal or state right, it should be a PARENT's decision. If my parents are allowing me to watch a certain movie, then no ticket ripper should be able to tell me I am not suited to watch said movie.

Guest Ripper
Adding to the previous poster. The age of consent for sex is tricky, because it really depends who the "consenter" is consenting too. Two sixteen year olds having sex is one thing, but what about a forty-five year old and a sixteen year old, where the sixteen year old is obviously being manipulated.

As far as alcohol, I think if you are deemed an adult at 18, then you should recieve all the same rights as every other adult.

Rated R movies, should not be a federal or state right, it should be a PARENT's decision. If my parents are allowing me to watch a certain movie, then no ticket ripper should be able to tell me I am not suited to watch said movie.

True, but what if the parents say you can't see the rated R movie. If there is no age limit, whatever the parents say can be undermined. It is a tricky bit, but it is safer to have the age restrictions than it is not to. The first movie I went to see was Purple Rain and it had sex, nudity, languge, violence and a kick ass soundtrack(okay that last one is out of context but still) but it was my parents choice to let me see it...well...really my cousins, but the point is I had a adult who was entrusted with my care that decided it would be okay for me to see the film.

Without age restrictions parents would be left with holding their childs hand and personally going to every movie with them to ensure that they aren't watching what they deem to be questionalble material.

Guest NoCalMike

first R movie I remember seeing by myself at a movie theater was The Abyss, when I was 9 years old. At home I remember being 8 and my dad told me to come into the living room to watch NOES 3: Dream Warriors. I loved it.

I understand the point of the theater's rationale as to why they can't sell the tickets to the minors. So maybe the policy could be that the parent/guardians have to be the ones that make purchase.

Another annoying thing is that they just raised the age to 25 in order to purchase a ticket for someone under 18. Last year when my girlfriend(22), her brother(18)), me(22), and her brother's gf(16) tried to go see a movie, they wouldn't let her in with all of us even though we were technically, "adults"

Guest razazteca

Too many american military personnel are getting in trouble with underage affairs on bases stationed in Europe and Asia.

The age to join the military should be raised.