TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Up to the dizzy heights of 13th after beating Coventry, whose fans seem to particularly dislike us for some reason. Absolutely everybody had a good bitch and moan after the Burnley defeat so it was a big win, especially coming from a goal down.

Saw Leapy got your goal, what do you think of him?

Edit: Quinn looks good so far, 1 goal and 1 assist in an hour, him and Brooker could be a great partnership.

Peacock's finishing leaves a lot to be desired, but he always works hard and does make the chances for himself, so he's ok with me. He wouldn't be a starting striker for us normally but he's a player I like having on the bench.

Football Manager 2006 is great, and well worth getting, although it does seem harder, especially with these new team talks, I tell them that Im fucking pleased with them at half time and the fuckers let in three, did manage chelsea, won the league cup, but got sacked after they finished 5th(behind West Brom!!!!), didnt want to start a new game so kicked my heels for a while, and I've just taken over at Newcastle Utd(with a £2.7m transfer budget, cheat motherfuckers), anyway Newcastle are in the shit right now which is great, as the fans only expect "escape relegation", which gives me a bit of honeymoon time to turn it round

I'll be getting Football Manager once my laptop's fixed.

For now though, I'm piddling my time away with Pro Evo 5. Good stuff. The tackling system pissed me off a lot when I first tried it, but I'm getting the hang of it. The chipped through ball is rubbish now, which is annoying, because I scored boatloads of goals on Pro Evo 4 using that. Now, every chipped through ball seems over-hit.

You can score some great goals on the new one, you can strike the ball better from distance and score some excellent headers and volleys from crosses. Very frustrating to start off with, losing the ball easily and taking ages to get it back or more often concede a foul but it doesn't take too long to adapt to it.

I'm playing as Newcastle in the Master League and I scored an awesome volley with the kid at right-back, Ramage, of all people. Everyone missed the cross and he just spanks it over the keeper's head and off the bar with a volley. Funny thing is, I can't remember ever hitting a volley in PES 4, now I've scored at least three already since Monday.

I've also got FIFA on rental, which makes PES a lot better. FIFA's the kind of game you play to win and get pissed when you can't tackle for minute upon minute, because the O button does hardly anything and any time you get near a player, they inexplicably start doing weird turns and fakes. PES, you can deal with losing because you don't feel so bad losing to realistic goals.

Nottingham Forest are understood to have made an audacious bid to lure Premiership striker Grzegorz Rasiak to the City Ground.

The club revealed last night that they had made a bid for Wycombe striker Nathan Tyson.

But the Evening Post understands that Reds boss Gary Megson has also inquired about the possibility of taking 26-year-old Polish international Rasiak on loan from Spurs.

It is less than two months since the front-man's shock transfer deadline day move to White Hart Lane from East Midlands rivals Derby County.

But 6ft 3in Rasiak has failed to break into the Spurs first team on a regular basis, making only two starts, along with a single sub appearance.

It is unclear as to whether Spurs will be willing to allow Rasiak - who scored 17 times for Derby last season - to move, although the striker is believed to fear his lack of first team football could jeopardise his international career.

I swear to God they must give the sports guys LSD at the Evening Post. This is almost as stupid as the IT'S BAGGIO! headline when they exclusivley announced we'd secured a deal to sign Roberto Baggio to replace Collymore...

Guest Damn You Helmsley

While the story is no doubt completely false it's no where near Baggio standards. Rasiak is the fourth choice striker at Tottenham, Roberto Baggio is Roberto Baggio.

But in 1995 Baggio joining us wasn't 100% unlikely - or at least I'd like to think not. Remember, back then we'd just finished 3rd (THIRD damnit!) in the Prem and had £8.5m to spend.

Rasiak is probably about a 0.75 on the Baggio scale. ;)

Shit.

I've just realised that ten years ago we'd finished 3rd in the Premier fucking League and we're linked with Roberto fucking Baggio. And today we're 12th in the Second Division and linked with a bloke from Wycombe... :(

But in 1995 Baggio joining us wasn't 100% unlikely - or at least I'd like to think not. Remember, back then we'd just finished 3rd (THIRD damnit!) in the Prem and had £8.5m to spend.

Rasiak is probably about a 0.75 on the Baggio scale. ;)

Thats reminds of my old housemate from Uni who was a spurs fan. The number of times he'd bang on my door to announce a new signing was hilarious the "transfers" included Rivaldo, Morientes (when he was good), Raul, Ronaldo, Schevchenko, Roberto Carlos and pretty much very other player to have appeared on the front of a FIFA game box.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Hey, whatever happened to Bryan Roy? He was good for a couple of seasons. Did he get injured? Where'd he go? I miss him.

Hey, whatever happened to Bryan Roy? He was good for a couple of seasons. Did he get injured? Where'd he go? I miss him.

Bryan was great in his first year, when he was playing with Stan. Next season he played with either Kevin Campbell or Jason Lee, and his own game suffered as a result and stayed just as ineffective in his final year with us. He was one of those players who wouldn't go and get the ball, but would stand still shouting for it. Our 94/95 team was good enough to carry him, knowing every so often he'd do something magic, but the next few years we weren't.

I think he went to Munich 1860 in 1997 when his contract ran out, and is now helping to run the Ajax youth academy.

I know it sounds stupid, but the only real difference was Stan. The side that finished 3rd was

Crossley

Lyttle

Pearce

Chettle

Cooper

Stone

Woan

Bohinen

Gemmill

Roy

Collymore

And the team that finished bottom three years later was

Crossley

Lyttle

Pearce

Cooper

Chettle

Stone

Woan

Bart-Williams

Gemmill

Roy/Cambell

Saunders

And to me the only real difference there is up front. Although Bohinen was hugely creative for us, Stone and Woan on the wings were more than good enough to make up for his absence.

All we really did, with a few exceptions, in the 94/95 season was have everyone behind the ball defending, except Stan and Roy who'd hang about on the half way line and then break when we got the ball and it worked because Stan was so good and he was on the same wave length and Roy. When you've got Dean Saunders and Kevin Campbell upfront.... well it's clearly not the same.

But even with Stan going we had more then enough to get in strikers better than Campbell and Saunders. Frank Clark just failed in the transfer market. I'd rather have had Collymore instead of Cambell, Saunders, Bart-Williams, Nickola Jerkan and Andrea Silenzi any day of the week.

If only we'd signed Baggio ;)

Guest Damn You Helmsley

I have a lot of antagonism towards Stan after his woeful time at Villa. All the usual supported the club as a young boy fairytale bollocks deluded us into thinking he might actually do well. He could have had a similar sort of time at Villa that he had with Forest except by this point his ego had grown enormously having been surrounded by the whole Liverpool Spice Boy image. Having read his autobiography you get a very vague perception of what it's like to truly be insane. He's more than happy to talk about his off the field issues in a blunt, honest way but when it comes to why he was so shit for Villa, he dodges the bullet by moaning about everyone else except himself.

Man, Pompey are gash. I really hope there are three teams worse than us in the league this season.

From what I remember with Forrest, they had a great team, but they didn't replace the players they let go. When Jason Lee is one of your main strikers, you're fucked. Saunders was a pretty bad buy too. Even now, though, they still seem like too good a team to go down.

On other news, I may be moving to Bristol soon. I may well be the boards second favourite Bristol City supporter.

Well franchise if it's any consolation you're the best team to come to hillsborough thus far, we got hammered. As my mate put it, 'not even fifa could conjour up a worse goal than Brunt just scored'. Oh well!