TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Manchester United not being clinical in signing Ronaldinho was a huge misfire. They haven't recovered from it.

Fergie's going to end up like Clough, but without the alcohol ;)

He's never replaced Beckham and Stam, like Brian never replaced Sherringham and Walker in 1992. I'm not saying that United will get relegated, but they *could* miss out on the Champions League this season, which relativly is just as bad. It's taken longer for the fall to happen, but I think there are certain parrallels.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Hell, they never replaced Schmeichel properly.

Because the next home grown generation of players after Beckham and Scholes etc have proven to be mediocre or just plain bad Ferguson's been forced to spend big and the results have been mixed to say the least. And they can't simply be regarded as bad players because look at Diego Forlan now. As a team Manchester United are now no longer distinguished from any of the other big clubs in Europe in that their team is just a collection of purchased goods with the occasional average Joe local thrown in. The club's only interesting characteristics lie with the fact that they have had the same manager for 19 years (about five too many), and they've got a family of cartoon villains running the company with the fans completely against them.

Southampton are now 2nd in the Premiership in Football Manager 06 thanks to a mighty cash boost from an unknown benefactor(Vanhalen), and Juventus just offered me £76,000,000 for Theo Walcott, might be cos hes 20 in everything and can play anywhere with a Natural rating, apart from GK :), yes its cheating but its only one game, I don't normally cheat

He's never replaced Beckham and Stam

To be fair, Rio was a more than decent replacement for Stam. What's happened this season, I have no idea. I think the reception he got when he stalled for so long on contract talks really got to him...and rightfully so...although he's never really been 100% consistant.

Ronaldo is a decent player. But he's not the right player when Ruud is up front though. Beckham leaving was the beginning of the end of the glory era though.

Hell, they never replaced Schmeichel properly.

True. Well, Van Der Sar's been very good this season. If anyone is or was going to be a replacement, Van Der Sar has to be high on the list.

Manchester United not being clinical in signing Ronaldinho was a huge misfire. They haven't recovered from it.

Amen. Having Ronaldinho in the team would have plugged the Beckham gap and then some.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

If Michael Ballack signs for Manchester United I might quit football forever. It's bad enough as it is that he plays for Bayern, but Manchester United...God no. Don't do it, Michael!

Gary Megson today captured sought-after Wycombe striker Nathan Tyson to bolster his Nottingham Forest front-line.

The 23-year-old has already netted 11 goals for John Gorman's side this season, after firing 22 during the last campaign.

Tyson turned down a £750k move to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday last month, but has agreed to join up with the Reds as they attempt to fight their way out of League One.

He will join initially on loan, but is expected to seal a permanent deal when the transfer window opens in January.

We're so going to ruin this lads career...

I woke up remarkabley ill this morning, so I can't go to the Universal Uproar thing in Coventry, which means on Kobashi for me :(

But, hey, at least I'll get to listen to Forest play away at Bournemouth... wooo....

:(

Hopefully, considering we've just argreed to spend £625,000 on a center forward, Johnno and Jack will probably score today. Wait, what am I saying. Jack might score today. Johnno might only miss one one-on-one with the goal keeper instead of his usal three of four fuck ups.

What a great England game. We got very stretched at times by an excellent Argentinian side but although we rode our luck a few times we could have had more goals ourselves. Could have been 5-5.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

John Motson and Graeme Le Saux should never commentate again in any capacity, England international or church raffle.

Motty was better than Sky's commentator (Tyler? Not sure). At least Motty noticed the Hand Of God 2 attempt more than 2 minutes after it had happened. I could do without Le Saux, sure.

Also, I'm still desparing at England suddenly being 3rd favourites to win the World Cup. One loss and we're no hopers, one win and we're world conquerors. 7-1 odds...I wouldn't even put a fiver on with odds that short. Sure, it was a great performance, but we were so lucky at times. And we're never, EVER lucky during the actual tournaments. Never. Had that been a World Cup Quarter Final, we'd have been 3 down in the first 20 minutes (during which we were pretty bad) and the penalty shout at the end would have been given for sure. That's just our luck.

I don't think people should be going over the top all of a sudden. We were dominated in the first 20 minutes. We still can't defend corners. We don't press the opposition when they're on the ball enough (understandable against Argentina, but not against anyone else). Nobody got to grips with Riquelme. Still too reliant on crosses and long balls, which only stopped when Cole came on and we had a speedy winger on. Gerrard and Lampard weren't anywhere up to club form, still.

7-1 to win the World Cup? I don't buy it. At those odds, you might as well stick a tenner on Italy at 7-1 instead.

I think so as well, I just can't see him getting picked for the World Cup Squad, Sven will pick Smith instead because of his "versatility"

Edit: We'll have a player at the world cup next year(Luke Wilkshire) keeping the Aussie bench warm.

Your probably right, but Smith should not go to the World Cup because A) King, Parker and Carrick are better choices for the holding role and, B) the guy hasn't played up front in almost a year for United so he's not going to be sharp.

I'll pick a 22 man squad that is based on the reality of choices and my own personal preferences...

(Injuries aside)

GK Paul Robinson

GK Chris Kirkland

GK David James (I don't want him there, but Sven will take him)

RB Gary Neville

RB/Def Jamie Carragher

Def Rio Ferdinand

Def Sol Campbell

Def John Terry

LB Ashley Cole

Def/M Ledley King

LB/LW Kieron Richardson (I know he's been shit recently but he can play the two left-sided roles and hopefully he joins WBA in January)

RW David Beckham

M Frank Lampard

M Steven Gerrard

LW Joe Cole

M Scott Parker

RW Shaun Wright-Phillips

F Michael Owen

F Wayne Rooney

F Darren Bent

F Jermain Defoe

F ?

I sat and thought about it for 15 minutes and the only other English striker I'd be willing to take is Mr. Shearer, but unless Sven begs like a cheap whore, thats not going to happen. Crouch is an option because his height would cause problems, like it did against Argentina, but I might be more inclined to take Heskey because at least he has been scoring this season. But taking Heskey is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever suggested.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Alan Smith's Roy Keane impression is often embarassing to watch. It's perhaps the greatest indication that Ferguson has lost the gift. As far as other holding men go, I'm still yet to be convinced by the great necessity of playing Ledley "that'll be £80,000-a-week, please" King. A lot of folks get moist thinking about him in an England shirt but I just don't get it.

I personally prefer Scott Parker, personal bias aside, because once he covers the defence he can bring it forward a lot more convincingly than King, but you just know Sven's mind is already made up.

Nice to see Alpay's got his head together since leaving Villa and has finally become such a sportsmanlike, civilised human being. Good for him.

'Boose...you missed the memo about Kevin Nolan for England, I see.

Also, according to the 'sheets', Ballack is on his way to Real Madrid. Further proving that Man United aren't a big team anymore. Bad news...we don't get Ballack. Good news...maybe now, United fans won't be labelled Glory Hunters and instead be labelled Glory Dreamers as we currently are.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Like Franz Beckenbauer said a move to Manchester United would be a step sideways for Ballack. I really hope he stays. I'm not exactly sure why as I'm by no means keen on Bayern. I just like him there. It seems right. The whole thing has become a horrible circus with Ballack being portrayed as the villain of the piece. I'm torn on the issue. I can understand why he'd want to talk to the clubs interested but at the same time I'd be very disappointed if he went. Especially to Real Madrid. Ballack seems above the whole Galatico thing.

As far as Alpay goes, oh man. I remember hearing about his fight on the training pitch with Juan Pablo Angel and thinking the fella was mad but it was later that he showcased his true insanity. As soon as FIFA put him in the World XI for the World Cup 2002 he started walking around with a massive hard on for himself. Subsequently he started performing terribly, famously passing the ball to Geoff Horsefield for his goal in the 3-0 abomination match in September 2002 against Birmingham. He had become such a nightmare that when he scored against Charlton (fair play, it was a nice finish) he got booed by the home crowd. Then he left, told Beckham to fuck off and die after he missed that penalty in that qualifier, moved to the Far East and showed contrasting form to the stuff he showed out there in the competition which started his hard on in the first place. With regard to the here and now, let's hope Cologne get relegated.

Forest got Tyson? Cunts! Lee Trundle snubbed us as well....as lower-league goalscorers go I'd have former under-utilised Blades forward Billy Sharp, he's scored 20-odd goals in 30-odd professional starts for fuck's sake!

'Boose...you missed the memo about Kevin Nolan for England, I see.

He'd just miss out. If he could play on the left hand side, maybe. But central midfield is another of England's pleasant headaches, like centre-back.

True. Michael Carrick would have a case too for central midfield.

In other news, I benched Henri Camara out of my fantasy team because Wigan were playing Arsenal. And sure enough, he goes and scores. So I miss out on points from him unless Nolan doesn't play tonight. Just my luck.

In other news, I benched Henri Camara out of my fantasy team because Wigan were playing Arsenal. And sure enough, he goes and scores. So I miss out on points from him unless Nolan doesn't play tonight. Just my luck.

Thank you, fog!

The ref for the United/Villareal game tonight was a disgrace. Why is it that referees can't tell when players are blatantly diving and play-acting, when however many thousand were at the game could?

Guest Damn You Helmsley

What page will this thread be on before Peter Crouch scores his first goal for Liverpool?